Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Knobb Manwich posted:

E: also absolutely want to shove Scotty in a blender. "It's not about politicians. It's not about elections. The only thing that matters today is that Sarah can be with her 11-year-old sister and her mother while they mourn the passing of their father and husband at Mt Gravatt today."

No you absolute useless fuckwit, gently caress off back to Hawaii and don't come back.

Right? "It's not about politics" say the LNP, as they post on their official feeds every few hours that Queensland ALP should step down because 'this is bad leadership'.

My understanding is people are upset the premier has let some high profile people into the state while not making an exception for this woman. Then the health commissioner/chief health officer (whatever the title is) said something like 'these individuals were allowed in because they make money for the state', which ironically, is perfectly in line with Scomos goal to get the Australian economy going again as fast as possible.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

"You wouldn't have to pay rates, of course!"

We would absolutely have to pay rates to live in a cave if that was the case today.

e: Otherwise they would just blow it the gently caress up since no one owns it.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 16, 2020

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2020/09/30/centrelink-facial-recognition-mygov/

Didn't see this yet but the government is intending to roll out facial recognition for government services like enrolling to vote, getting a tax file number, and of course for use with welfare.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Responses I've seen to the budget so far are along the lines of "People who earn more money pay way more tax, so they need the tax cuts to make things fairer. Why can't people understand this?"
Also stuff similar to the old Joe Hockey line, that if you want more money/more returns, you should just get a better job. Nothing has changed about the way people think.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 7, 2020

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

If that's truly the case, shouldn't we be shutting down drive-through fast food joints right now?

A drive through window is a fixed position on a privately owned building. The service counter can be easily disinfected after every customer served, and the staff should be wearing gloves and masks.
Compare this to public infrastructure like a crosswalk or public park - no one is hanging around to wipe the crossing button (you don't really even need to press the button), or disinfect the benches and play equipment after everyone is done. As much as you might enjoy going to the park, you don't actually know who has been there and what they've been doing in the time that you weren't around.

I've lived near parks myself, there was one across the road from my house when I was a child. Sometimes people do things like go to a park after a party to finish drinking and have drunk sex, or do drugs and throw up (or all of the above). Sometimes if there is sand, people's pet cats will go and bury their poo poo in the playground. It's very likely that there is all kinds of nasty stuff around the place you might not be aware of anyway, and now there is a risk of covid on top of that.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 14, 2020

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah even the Australian BLM protest organisers in the different states recommended people self-isolate for 14 days if they attended the protests.

A rally I attended handed out masks and went around offering people hand sanitiser while marching.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/olivialeeming/status/1325972867771559936?s=20

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

bobvonunheil posted:

Why is this being framed as a problem with Kevin Rudd's integrity instead of a problem with the government's petition system?

I wonder if it has something to do with the reason the petition was put up in the first place...

Exactly what I was thinking.

"Well well! Looks like someone filled this petition with fake signatures! I guess all of the real ones are now meaningless! It's impossible to tell which ones could be real or fake, even though we went into great detail explaining how you would spot a fake one."

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What we also need, beyond the normalisation of mask wearing, is to change the culture of "soldiering on" when sick with over the counter drugs which alleviate symptoms but don't do anything about how infectious you are and _especially_ employers who say, "Are you really that sick? Are you sure you can't come in anyway?"

When people have made comments like "Covid is just a slightly worse flu" or "It has a 99.99% survival rate, no one is ever this worried about the flu" I share this article https://www.theage.com.au/national/...spPmiEA1becoiZs

quote:

Stay home if you're sick says minister, as flu cases soar and 31 die (June 17, 2019)

Thirty-one Victorians have died from flu in 2019, as the number of confirmed cases soars to nine times more than the same time last year.

More than 18,600 people have been diagnosed with the flu since the season started late last year, months earlier than usual, prompting Victoria's health minister to urge people to get vaccinated and stay home if sick.

"Sadly, we've had 31 confirmed flu deaths so far this year, the vast majority of those elderly members of the community living in nursing homes," Health Minister Jenny Mikakos told reporters on Monday.

"But sadly, of those deaths, three have been in children."

It's basically similar stats (maybe not the right word - demographics?) and advice to covid: majority cases in the elderly, recommendation to quarantine yourself (though they don't use that specific term or offer a time frame), and advice to get vaccinated asap.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 22, 2020

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/covi...NtunXOfw0CIsGfs

COVIDSafe data 'incidentally' collected by intelligence agencies in first six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what was his reasoning?

"A local satirical website made too much/not enough fun of a premier. Therefore it's all their fault."

https://www.facebook.com/friendlyjordies/posts/2144484262339050

quote:

22nd March 2019 -

(Betoota Picture: "NSW Voter Forced To Choose Between Unbridled Corruption Or Fairly Blatant Racism")

I know everyone’s response will be, “The Betoota’s a parody site”. Yeah. And how many people do you know who get their news from it? Probably everyone in your circle of friends apart from one weirdo who reads the Shovel. Clearly that’s idiotic, but still, they’re all idiots with a vote. Hundreds of thousands of idiots reading a parody page that has done what exactly?

Regurgitate the exact narrative of the mainstream media. Edgy. A narrative that has been nothing short of a full scale assault on Michael Daley comparable to the intensity and saturation of the US’s MSM assault on Bernie Sanders in order to prop up their corporatist puppet Hilary Clinton. All centred around a gaff he made in September of last year and dropped oh so conveniently in the last week of campaigning. While the Betoota’s media elite mates at the ABC, Fairfax and The Project are probably laughing it up at how clever their headlines are as, “they don’t care whose toes they tread on!”. I’ll tell you who won’t be laughing if the Liberals are re-elected tomorrow

It's a bit longer than that but the gist was 'some people don't realise The Betoota is satire, so they're bad for taking shots at Labor because it might cause Libs to get votes'.