Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
a Herald Sun report in Liberal internal polling by MediaReach of five marginal Victorian state seats, showing devastating swings against Labor. The Liberals are credited with leads of 70.6-29.4 in Bayswater (50.4-49.6 to Labor at the 2018 election), 68.0-32.0 in Hawthorn (50.4-49.6 to Labor), 54.5-45.5 in Monbulk (58.6-41.4), 54.9-45.1 in Mount Waverley (51.8-48.2) and 57.9-42.1 in South Barwon (54.6-45.4). Daniel Andrews is nonetheless said to have preferred premier leads over Michael O’Brien of 46-37 in South Barwon, 43-37 in Mount Waverley and 39-29 in Monbulk, with O’Brien leading 46-33 in Hawthorn and 37-33 in Bayswater. The polling was conducted on Tuesday from samples of between 523 and 694.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Started with centrelink finally, first job they recommended me is picking fruit lmao.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Keen to die for Bush's oil profits Scomo's Veggie Profits

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Warren Entsch on 7 News: We all know the best form of welfare is a job in response to concerns about Jobseeker Cuts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

See? The water in the Brisbane River is clear as day. Don't worry about it. Let's go for a swim.

*emerges from water*

NEEDS MORE DAKKA.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I miss Bill

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Scomo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If you want to post smug anime girl reaction images regarding that post I will allow it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/the-price-was-not-in-the-brief-minister-ignorant-of-30m-paid-for-airport-land-20200923-p55yeb.html

What the gently caress

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So when jobseeker gets cut again in December, we get to vote them out right?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

2007?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The boss of Australia's oldest union is warning Labor will kill off blue-collar jobs and any chance of winning government if it does not wholeheartedly embrace gas to properly transition to a low-emissions economy.

WAKE ME UP INSIDE

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I have mates in FNQ and they say that a car gets stolen from Townsville every night and it's a huge problem up there.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

You’d think one of them would have put it in the garage if it keeps getting stolen every night

I'm not saying I support the viewpoint but I can guess why the alp is appeasing that blip on the election radar

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MSM is certainly good at writing articles saying IR reform is coming but not telling us what Morrison is planning after his 'meetings with business and unions broke down'

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Imma stock up on Irish cream for this dumb election methinks

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would like to inform the thread I am on medication that prevents me from making bad posts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nah North QLD is hard anti Labor and they can lose government on Townsville alone

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I feel like Samurai Jack trying to get back a Job but Scomo flung me into the future where unemployment is LAW

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I also voted for Newman (Green 1, LNP before ALP) because Anna Bligh basically hosed up the ALP, so much so that the Brisbane Labor Party did not endorse her lmao.

Then she lost and got some big banking job where she got to run ad campaigns against the banking royal commission.

I'm glad I voted Newman (technically) because the state election afterwards was the most I've laughed in a long time.

Newman loses Ashgrove *sad trombone noises*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4KrYlCOMqc

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Poor Kim Beazley

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

When in doubt, it's a Palmer shadow organisation.

Was on Facebook the other day and Facebook ads showed me a top page called Number One Australia Videos or something.

It was basically animals doing funny poo poo except the audio had been replaced by Clive Palmer talking about how bad Labor is.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I loving hate Liberpendents.

It should be illegal.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A good day for leftism

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Former Treasurer Peter Costello is warning the gap between company and personal tax rates is encouraging individuals to corporatise themselves to avoid paying their share, saying the rates should be slashed for the highest income earners.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Surely no one believes that rich people avoid tax because it's too high.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

WA sus

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Australians are cowards.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I just want to check.

CelestialScribe, are you for real? I just wanna know if I should treat you as a for real person or someone who enjoys taking these leftist goons for a ride.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

CelestialScribe I command you to stop posting so this thread can actually talk about other topics besides yourself.

Take a break. Yeah?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Super fund members are being urged to check if they are on track for retirement after new figures revealed exactly how much money they should have in their accounts.

Data from the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia showed Australians needed the following amounts in super to be heading for a comfortable retirement:

• A 30-year-old should have $61,000.

• A 40-year-old $154,000.

• A 50-year-old $271,000.

• A 60-year-old $430,000.

These amounts are to achieve a comfortable retirement at age 67 when singles should have $545,000 in retirement savings and couples $640,000.

That equates to an annual pre-tax income of $65,000 and with investment returns at 6.7 per cent.

A comfortable retirement enables a healthy retiree to have a good standard of living including top level private health insurance, travel on domestic and international holidays, own a reasonable car and have a good internet service and mobile phone allowance.

ASFA’s chief executive officer Dr Martin Fahy says it is important that Australians pay attention to their balances because “super plays a critical role in helping Australians achieve the standard of living in retirement that they want and deserve”.

“If today’s young people are to avoid ending up on not much more than the Age Pension, every single dollar contributed to superannuation counts.”

Under the Federal Government’s early access to superannuation scheme about 2.89 million people have withdrawn about $35.9 billion, decimating many account balances.

Compulsory super payments are scheduled to rise from 9.5 per cent to 10 per cent in July, then up to 12 per cent by 2025.

The move had resulted in intense political debate and challenges could be made to stop the scheduled legislated increases from going ahead.

In recent weeks millions of Australians have begun receiving their annual super statements from their funds.

AustralianSuper group executive of membership Rose Kerlin — whose fund is one of the largest with has 2.3 million people on its books — said members should be paying attention to their balances and taking action to bolster their savings.

“The most important thing you should check with your super fund is the performance of your super fund and what fees are, make sure you’re in a high performing fund with lower fees,” she said.

“Boosting your super with voluntary contributions is a great way to help reach your goals.”

Ms Kerlin also said salary sacrificing was important allowing members to put some of their salary straight into their super account instead of bank account.

“This has a double benefit, you pay less tax and it reduces your taxable income.”

AustralianSuper data shows the average balance for a 30 to 39-year old female is $38,000 and male $48,000.

For those aged 50 to 59 their data found the average balance for a female is $104,000 and a male $152,000.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I guess the research didnt factor in all those hospitality jobs where the manager forgot to pay super but its okay I'm working on it, I'll pay you next week I swear.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The only way to stop crime is to treat everyone under 18 like a baby.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Trip report from Cooper, Greens signs everywhere.

Odds on sportsbet are 5 to 1 but The Gap was a huge reason for forcing Graham Quirk to resign due to the failed Mt Cootha zip line proposal backfiring on the Brisbane City Council admin causing a huge NIMBY wave across The Gap and Ashgrove into Keppera.

LNP and ALP yard signs are minimal and Kate Jones retiring means Labor surrenders the incumbent advantage.

I think it's a seat to watch and a highly likely GRN gain.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland voters face a choice this week which will determine the standard of living in this state for decades: To re-elect a government which has spent five years asleep at the wheel of Queensland’s economy but now claims it is a saviour in the middle of a recession.

Or to trust an opposition that has laid out a broad, comprehensive plan for the state’s future, ideologically backs the industries which motor our economy, and insists it has learned from the missteps of its last time in office.

Labor has been determined to fight the October 31 poll squarely on its response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the resultant popularity of Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk. And well it might.

Narrowing the focus to just eight months of nearly six years in power camouflages just how lacklustre the government’s performance has been.

Leading one of the five states which suppressed the coronavirus, Ms Palaszczuk and her administration deserve credit for Queensland’s health response.

An effective contact tracing regimen prevented outbreaks taking hold here and spared us the type of second wave which has devastated Melbourne.

However, those achievements have been sullied by the shameless politicisation of border closures – imposing hard-hearted and unnecessary restrictions on ordinary people suffering illness or bereavement while giving starry-eyed favouritism toward sport and film stars.

A historic four-year term in power awaits next Saturday’s winner, whose momentous task will be to carry Queensland out of the economic carnage left behind when the tsunami of the COVID-19 health crisis recedes.

The policies and actions of the next government will determine how many Queenslanders keep their jobs, whether voters maintain their standard of living and how much debt will be left for the children of 2020 to pay back as adults.

Labor’s record in power is woeful.

Surprised to defeat Campbell Newman and claim office in 2015, the Palaszczuk government’s slow-moving first term was notable for myriad reviews, an expensive addiction to hiring public servants, and balance sheet gymnastics to maintain a pretence of reducing state debt.

Leading into and after its 2017 re-election, the influence of the party’s dominant Left faction steered the government into repeated ideological folly – at the expense of everyday Queenslanders.

The resources sector received the cold shoulder even though coal royalties keep the budget in the black, money was splashed on changing the name of a hospital and a debt-happy treasurer threw out any pretence of trying to balance the books long before the coronavirus struck.

The Premier showed her cynicism for voters and lack of leadership when it took the electorate’s brutal rejection of federal Labor to finally spark action to approve the job-generating Adani mine.

The inconvenient truth for Labor at this election is that Queensland’s economy was already staggering before COVID delivered a king hit. In January, as the virus began spreading out of Wuhan, the state already had an unemployment rate of 6.2 per cent and a debt projected to hit nearly $92bn, with Queensland languishing alongside South Australia as the nation’s economic laggards.

Despite all the spending on public servants, frontline services have buckled under Ms Palaszczuk; sick Queenslanders have suffered on ever-growing surgical waiting lists, children have been killed on the watch of child safety authorities, teenage crime is out of control in the regions and the performance of school kids has stagnated.

All the while the government has been distracted by repeated integrity scandals – including the demise of former treasurer Jackie Trad.

Now, while asking for a third term, Labor cowers under the cloak of COVID-19 to avoid any serious economic reform. It refused to release a third-term agenda until the election campaign and has presented an economic recovery plan which is simply short-term stimulus measures complemented by infrastructure pledges including the building of a second M1.

Queenslanders will vote on October 31 but will not find out the true state of our finances for another four weeks, because Labor delayed the budget until after polling day.

After preferring social issues such as abortion reform to heavy lifting on the economy during its two terms, the Premier has now made her key election priority passing euthanasia laws – in the middle of a recession.

There is no doubt Ms Palaszczuk is regarded with warmth by many Queenslanders. Her personal popularity, which increased during the COVID-19 period as she was perceived to be taking action, has been one of the government’s strengths.

But the lack of Labor achievements over its full period in office means its campaign has consisted of two themes only – claiming credit for the pandemic response and lazily using the ghost of Mr Newman to attack the LNP – years after he was thrown from office.

Tellingly, some of the more devastating criticism of the government comes not from the LNP or even the business community, but Labor heroes. Ex-premier Peter Beattie bemoaned Labor’s absence of ideas to boost the economy long term after his own suggestions were gracelessly slapped down by a tetchy Premier.

CFMEU powerbroker Michael Ravbar – a member of the party’s national executive – accused the Palaszczuk government of being too “focused on the inner-city elite” and “not actually governing for all of Queensland”.

And party strategist Cameron Milner warned only in August of a palpable sense of hubris among an administration expecting to coast to victory on the laurels of its COVID response.

Aside from assessing Labor’s record, voters must also decide whether Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington has presented a compelling case for the LNP to return to power after six years. Ms Frecklington’s period as leader has been marked by a struggle to cut through with voters.

This came to a head in June with the leaking of damaging internal polls – which ultimately led to party president Dave Hutchinson quitting his role.

While the party has been lacking in salesmanship, the agenda it takes to the election is of far more substance than the policies Labor has on the table.

The New Bradfield Scheme, part of a broader water security policy, and the duplication of more than 1600km of the Bruce Highway over the long-term, are genuinely transformative for the regions.

Ms Frecklington has nominated a target unemployment rate of 5 per cent, pledged to stabilise debt, will establish an Economic Recovery Agency and open up the Galilee Basin to $50bn worth of job-creating investment – supporting the resources sector which has for too long been treated by Labor as the leper of Queensland’s economy.

The party’s platform tackles the youth crime issue head on: While a youth curfew might be jarring to some in the relative comfort of southeast Queensland, it represents pragmatism and long-awaited action for residents of Cairns and Townsville who are victims of burglaries or who witness rampant crime on their streets. The party will also set up a child protection force as part of an overhaul to stop vulnerable children slipping through the cracks of Queensland’s failing systems.

While presenting a strong agenda, the party has erred in its decision to preference the Greens above Labor; increasing the chances of the fringe party having candidates elected in inner city seats including South Brisbane and McConnel. A minority government – particularly an unholy alliance of the Greens and Labor – would be a debacle for Queensland.
The state can ill-afford four more lost years.

As we emerge from COVID-19, Queenslanders need work – and not just public jobs created at great cost.

The debt we create now must be paid off by our children and grandchildren, who will make hard choices about how to pay for aged care, medical care and education.

Queensland needs genuine leadership and pragmatic solutions to get the economy running and help the community recover.

Opinion polls indicate the election result is likely to be incredibly close, and could be decided by handfuls of votes in several marginal seats.

This demonstrates that neither major party has yet entirely convinced Queens-landers they have an overwhelming case for election. However, on balance, The Sunday Mail believes Queensland would be better off over the next four years with Deb Frecklington and the LNP in office.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

#Newspoll QLD Seat of South Brisbane 2 Party Preferred: ALP 45.5 (-8 since election) GRN 54.5 (+8) #qldvotes #auspol

#Newspoll QLD Seat of South Brisbane Primary Votes: ALP 32 (-4.0 since election) GRN 39 (+4.6) LNP 24 (-0.3) ON 3 (+3.0) UAP 0.5 (+0.5) #qldvotes #auspol

And it's not due to Lib preferences either.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Can I come next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sounds illegal