Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

quote:

Police allege that a former candidate for Clive Palmer’s United Australia party has used a fake Facebook page to organise anti-lockdown protests, which makes for one huge yikes of a sentence.
Tony Pecora, 43, who was allegedly operating under the alias of ‘Arkwell Tripelligo‘, has been charged with organising the event ‘Melbourne Walk For Freedom’, the Melbourne Magistrates Court heard on Friday.
The anti-lockdown protest was scheduled to run on Saturday in the Royal Botanic Gardens, with more than 1,500 people indicating they were going. Current rules in Victoria state that no more than two people can meet up in public.
Supposedly the man has some pretty wild beliefs, including one he apparently told the police, that COVID-19 is a “genetically engineered virus created by world banks to kill off weaker humans,” which is more than just a spicy take.
According to Detective Acting Senior Sergeant David Schaefer, Pecora also claimed to be a “combatant in the game of geopolitical chess” and “called on (his supporters) to remain united against the forces of darkness and demanded that the Victorian Premier be arrested for treasonous activities”

lmao are you kidding me

pecora is italian for sheep

schäfer is german for shepherd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
1) go pick fruit
2) leverage your News corp skills to become a boss
3) become richer and richer by exploiting the workers
4) violently suppress unionism
5) rebrand to United Fruit Corp
6) a wandering adventure and their posse straight up murder you
7) not a boss, then.. but a mini boss
8) NPCs can't reload
9) fin.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

The severed thread of prophecy begs to differ, n'wah

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

"Sure, we might save 100 people from dying of covid now, but what if the economic cost of saving those people means that, years down the line, 200 people die from poverty and mental health issues?"

"You mean like how if we spend a bit more money to improve social welfare, safety nets and so forth, we could save countless lives for laughably little money?"

"N-.. no... that's not what I meant... uh.. you see, there's this little thing called Freedom--"

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

An indigenous man has had his license suspended after five police were found dead by the side of the road last September. This is the second time that the man's vehicle has been involved with the accidental deaths of multiple police officers. The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claims that both times he was listening to "gently caress The Police" on the radio to the point of distraction and didn't realise his car was swerving over multiple lanes of traffic to impact upon the deceased. The judge has suspended his license for two weeks and advised more caution in future.

Seems a bit far fetched when you flip it, hey

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

it sounds (and is) excessive until you remember that generally people dont choose to be born indigenous, whereas 100% of the time people choose to become cops. makes u think

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Knobb Manwich posted:

hambeet's shed, same as everything else.

what's in the box? what's in the box?? what's in the box.. with the dots?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

hmmm.... alp..... bad..??! wowza *shockedp ikachu*

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

hambeet posted:

it's okay. i voted howard. twice.

Both times in 2007

Budzilla posted:

Is that possible in Aus?

I'm sure a surprising number of people have never voted

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 10, 2020

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

ML YITTLE PONY

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Australia has huge problems and these problems are a big part of why the lockdowns are affecting so many people so horribly and people like celestial scribe are unironically the primary cause of those problems, which is why it's so hilarious and frustrating to see a conditioned solipsist/narcissist crybaby like him complain about having to temporarily suffer a tiny fraction of all the horrible injustices that he and people like him have created

You're a miserable sack of poo poo CS and you embody everything that the society the rest of us are trying to build is trying to make extinct :) you're the social equivalent of sustained, cyclical, intergenerational abuse and gaslighting, and the sooner you and your ilk fade from this earth, the better! Hooray! Only the real question is whether we really can be rid of you and your disgusting selfish egocentric spoiled child ideology, or whether that's just a fundamental part of the human experience, like some sort of lovely tower of Babel that's designed to keep humans in the dirt

Either way, at the 6 week mark I still got no sense of smell and my sense of taste is still at like 30%, although my heart is doing much better. Good morning goons

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm glad you're doing better. It's from a different cause (like 8 years of chemo lmao) but the taste/smell thing..sucks. It really does. I try to get around it with lots of spicy stuff, hot sauces, nice curries etc. It's never quite the same but..it's something at least.

Ah jeez that's so much worse, haha. I'm sorry.

For me so far it's been ok, I'm 31 and relatively healthy so while the risk of death was low, it's still hard to complain about it. A couple weeks ago I realised I could vaguely smell fresh basil if I smash my face in it, but rosemary still nothing, for some reason? So I'm curious to see where it stabilises after like 6 months. I was thinking I'd just swap to real healthy, cheap food with an interesting texture. And I'm going to start growing magic mushrooms again so I can finally chow down on those horrible little things without triggering my gag reflex.. unless it's just become an expectatory psychosomatic response, in which case, gently caress

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Germany is also a victim of its own accidental success. Had a low infection and death rate without really knowing why, health system was doing ok (because they paid to maintain unused capacity while the dutch approach was "look at all these unused beds in non-peak times, let's cut that down to minimise inefficiency" -- and then died in the arse when they hit a bump), and decided to manage covid with as soft a hand as possible during summer in order to maintain happiness and the economy.. and now autumn is here, the latent covid infections are exploding and there is absolutely no familiarity with stricter regulations, so numbers are spiking hard and there is similarly no broader receptivity towards potential stricter measures. So they lucked out with a nice privileged situation, then tried to have their cake and eat it too.. and now everybody is about to get turbo hosed, and all those temporary self-defeating cost reductions are about to quadruple down for a miserable, very expensive winter

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Laserface posted:

Sulla flex, grind your mushrooms in a blender and put them into gel caps. That's how I buy them, easy to dose 1g = 1 cap.

No taste but the burps are a bit off. Gives me the grumbles too.

Like 10 years ago when I was growing them I was doing this too but I was broke so the capping thing I got was cheap and I would always get some of the fine powder on the outside of the caps, which just hits your tastebuds immediately and in such a worse, worse way. Plus I thought 00 capsules were like 0.5-0.65g? So for like 3.5g (to 4.55g?) I remember I'd take like 7 capsules.. what size capsules are we talking here that you can get 1g in them?

It's definitely not such a big deal, one way or another those suckers are going down, but the developed gag reflex was brutal and so I was thinking it'd be a nice little silver lining to this whole not being able to really smell or taste thing

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

i also cant donate blood due to living in england during the mad cow scare, which is a great excuse because i am also somehow terrible with getting any amount of blood taken, cant imagine how itd be donating a solid chunk of it. thank u heroes who donate

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

although in an ideal world we wouldnt have to donate, we'd just farm the rich

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

chaz: gently caress off, we're full

wazza: fully sick mate

chaz: eyyy

wazza: eyyyyy

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

the idea of hordes of new zealanders fleeing their corona-free hellhole and smashing through the borders to melbourne so they can sit inside and gripe online about lockdowns fills me with existential, patriotic dread. the horror of it. the nerve. there's nothing we can do except continue work on the domestic dystopia project and hope to god that it eventually clicks

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Did anything ever come of the Tony and Peta thing? A quick google suggests it was really only in the news cycle for the 2016 fed election campaign period, so I don't know where we landed on whether there was anything behind that or it was just politick as usual

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Thank you. I was curious about that one, I was thinking about it recently for the first time in years but hadn't heard anything definitive

Capt.Whorebags posted:

A few Libs have commented that Peta held absolute sway over Tony, beyond anything they could understand. But there was no indication they were sleeping together.

"beyond anything they could understand" is a great line coming from Liberals on the topic of interpersonal dynamics and the human psyche

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-17/act-election-voting-labor-liberal-greens-results/12778714

quote:

The Canberra Liberals have conceded the election to ACT Labor, as its leader Alistair Coe calls returned Chief Minister Andrew Barr to congratulate him on the result.

The ABC's election analyst Antony Green says ACT Labor will be returned for a sixth term with the support of the Greens.

But he says the surprise of the evening favours the Greens, as he predicts the party could win as many as five seats.

With 80 per cent of the vote counted, Labor has won 38.4 per cent of the vote, while the Canberra Liberals have won 33.1 per cent of the vote.

The ACT Greens appear to be the surprise winners of the evening, with a 3.6 per cent swing towards the party, potentially winning them as many as three additional seats.

Green says the party is likely to win a seat in Yerrabi, and retain its seat in Murrumbidgee, despite the retirement of member Caroline Le Couteur.

Alongside returning Greens leader Shane Rattenbury, Green says the party could pick up a second seat in the inner city Kurrajong electorate, as well as a seat in Ginninderra.

ABC tracker:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/act/2020/results

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

hold up. according to crocodile dundee, australians are rough and ready frontier types who overcome all hardships through iconic laconic larrikinism

wheres that sardonic stoicism

wheres the cheeky wink

who even are we

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Tommunist posted:

My family are all from Holland sorry

Which means according to auspol lore i should constantly lust for blood

lusting for blood is a common symptom of social covid disorder. to know if its malignant you gotta check your woke levels

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

young australians worried about their retirement can rest assured that the federal government will provide a sophisticated cashless card system so that future pensioners can still make purchases from the gulag supermarket

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Are you a retiree with a low pension? Grandkids dont make enough in the code mines to pay the interest on your gambling debts? Then why not move to the Glue Factory, the latest in ultra high density low income housing initiatives from the Strong Economy party! The only aged care home slash glue factory with a federally-certified "Battery Farm Fresh" rating!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

most of my super is locked up in a country i will likely never live in again, i moved country twice, then every 1-2 years i burn out and quit my job and use up all my savings being unemployed before rinsing and repeating

im only 31 though so i still got 40 years of scattered employment to save up to pay for the body recovery helicopter that will have to airlift my withered corpse out of yo momma

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Bit late but didn't see any comments on it. ACT election tracker says no more seats in doubt, 90% counted:

ALP - 10 (-2)
LIB - 9 (-2)
Greens - 6 (+4)

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

when i was an early teenager i had a mate from school with whom i would sometimes smoke weed. his parents had a nice big house in cremorne, sydney. we got into an argument once because despite smoking weed and wanting to continue smoking it, he said weed should stay illegal, because "there are a lot of morons out there who shouldnt be trusted with drugs, and we should stop them from doing it. and besides, i can still get weed even if its illegal, so it doesnt make a difference for me"

privilege. not even once

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

wow. never seen an australian actually punch up for once

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Animal Friend posted:

Because I've know him for years. He's always had some wierd fringe beliefs but mostly harmless UFO and alternative spiritual stuff. He quit his retail job like 2 months into lockdown because he got on jobseeker and has spent all his time since stoned and on YouTube.

He's exactly the kind of person to fall into the Q/infowars radicalisation pipeline. No past interest or engagement in politics (openly bragged about never voting), never reads the news, already involved in fringe communities online, grew up on 4chan... add that to the effects the lockdown is generating with all these protests (where people are talking about Q and NWO vaccines/microchips) and he cracked.

I'm just trying to keep him sane but just talking to him is getting difficult.

i've heard this story before, aren't you the lady who got her face ripped off by that chimp she had since a baby

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Flannelette posted:

It's 2020, Australia accidentally gaining control of the US government would still track.

2021 alt history proposal: trump refuses to concede 2020 election, invades world; general abbott shirt-fronts a US carrier fleet, US surrenders; australia annexes indonesia over a mining concessions dispute; LNP gently caress up the gerrymandering and australia and the US are absorbed into the new Indonesian Federation; indonesia oversees a functional NBN rollout through australia

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

hambeet posted:

is the battery in SA private owned or state owned?

false dichotomy. like you, it's Just Owned

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Wow

I hope someone hands him a shovel and then asks him whether he thinks there was anything problematic about the way that went

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

lol. cool posting bell jar

maybe take a break from the internet for a bit

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

nice posts, whered you buy them -- at the bad post store ???

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Wait so victoria has hard masks requirements but the other states.. don't? Not for public transport, or supermarkets or shops?

drat, aussies are weak. No wonder our special forces prefer to shoot handcuffed civilians

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

To my mind it'd seem like general mask use would be a good counter to an airborne virus with a short incubation period and high rates of asymptomatic spread. Numbers are very low in Australia, sure, but why is it acceptable to go full fash on individuals who catch it, and just give a free pass to everyone else? Masks are like close to zero effort so I still don't get why it's apparently such a big deal to put one on

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

scotty from marketing heading down to cronulla beach with a cricket bat and an SAS beach towel. "gday cobbers, wheres the riots at??" big cheeky grin, our mate scotty, there he is. one of us

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

freebooter posted:

Wtf are you talking about? "Full fash" means gassing people to death, not requiring them to stay in their home for two weeks.

Masks are as close as it gets to zero effort but there's no need for them in territories that have eliminated the virus. Masks are for when things are spiralling out of control, like they were in Victoria, not when we've gone to the trouble of achieving elimination by implementing massive border closures and lockdowns in order to return to a semblance of normality. "Why isn't everyone required to wear a mask all the time" is a silly question compared to, say, "why are we still putting returned travellers with COVID in CBD hotels staffed by untrained low-wage security guards moonlighting as pizza workers?"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-18/how-does-covid-survive-on-surfaces-adelaide-cluster/12894780

im saying full fash because australians loving love fascism and would happily throw children into concentration camps if it meant they could.. actually im not sure what the quid pro quo was there. i think australians just love cops and hate solidarity

and sure, if there literally exists no covid in a community, its impossible to get covid. but when you have a single outbreak pushing an entire state from 0 to 100 (since covid also tends to go from 0 to 100 quite quickly), from just contact tracing and shoddy quarantines (as far as i can tell) to lockdown, you start to wonder if there really are no measures in between -- like wearing masks inside shops or packed/enclosed spaces. you've already blocked the borders and the economy is already in tatters, why are masks suddenly anathema?

in my opinion it just sounds like more bullshit privilege and exceptionalism. "i dont see why that affects me, what benefit do i get out of it, thats a problem other people/places have, let them sort it out, i dont want to be inconvenienced at all" yet we see australians roll over and allow BROADLY overreaching state meddling in personal rights and privacy and control of public spaces. but for a 1 in 100 year global epidemic that has seen an often non-watertight response in terms of managing infected? i dont get the why theres outrage over this, even in places with a lot more covid, the vast majority of people youll see are not infected, masks are a good, low-cost, broadly applicable preventative mechanism that can save lives and dramatically reduce the chance of a catastrophic outbreak.. i really dont get the revulsion towards the idea, it just feels like more water from the antivaxxer well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

We might be talking past each other here - I'm not talking about making people wear masks inside or even on the street. In that article, it mentions: " we can transition to a situation where we only wear masks in relatively high-risk situations. That is, those situations where we potentially come into contact with a lot of people indoors, such as grocery shopping and public transport.” Later in the article you have experts saying that masks are not a set-it-and-forget-it panacea, but that they'd still recommend wearing masks in areas of high risk, which is what most places have implemented wherever covid keeps showing up.

Here in Berlin, for example, we have a stricter lockdown now, but since like March it's been mandatory to wear masks inside things like supermarkets, shops, and public transport. No requirements to wear it on the street, although after an initial reticence due to it not having any cultural precedent, you do see a lot of people wearing masks on the street now.

Access to supermarkets and public transport seems a pretty inalienable right to me, and we (as a society- Australia and Germany included) already implement numerous far reaching mechanisms for ensuring public safety in certain high risk contexts, which might reduce comfort or privilege but are nonetheless accepted. I'm thinking, as off the cuff examples, of things like seatbelts, street signs and crosswalks, maximum occupancies and general fire and safety regulations, and so forth.

The question seems to be, is the situation dangerous enough where broader mask requirements are warranted? And to my mind, given how quickly and gravely the situation can escalate, and given that you're seeing cities and states go straight into lockdowns whenever even just a few cases pop up, it kind of seems like masks are a no brainer. At least while the risk is so high, the cost seems absolutely negligible -- but again, this is a risk that seems to affect mostly "other people", so it's much harder for some people to justify any level of personal discomfort. Which I obviously disagree with

Additionally, current poor/inconsistent coordination, implementation, and communication, doesn't mean that masks are inherently bad. It just means that your implementation sucks, which is a you thing, not a mask thing