Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Queen Elizabeth? Help!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-24/same-sex-marriage-survey-damaging-to-mental-health/10745800

Remember this bullshit unnecessary thing that was incredibly damaging to peoples mental health, but those concerns were dismissed by the government in a disgustingly flippant fashion?

This is all I can think about when people point to the lock-downs, which are a necessity, and say "But think of the mental health of everybody!"

Its still an issue of course, one that shouldn't be dismissed. But maybe there's more we can do as a country and society for the mental health of Australians than think of the economy.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Somebody I know had a relative at yesterdays protests. They were featured in a bit by Rebel News. Seems like a cool site with interesting headlines.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Sleepy Joe vs Woke Biden

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

The problem is that people will take the position that Labor hosed this up, and then shift into supporting the LNP which could only have made things worse. Like you're going to get better social support from going further right. And like you aren't going to get more lowest bidder neoliberalism stuff ups either.

It's really this. All the anti-Labor stuff is mostly shady poo poo like Twitter polls being targeted by bots and that danliedpeopledied hashtag that was started by an Egyptian account or the Murdoch media running amok. Or Facebook craziness. Legitimate criticism of the Andrews government is one thing, but people deciding the LNP, much less the clownshow that is the Victorian Liberals, would somehow handle it better is insane.

I know people who did that "give Dan the boot" protest and none of them could really give a response to questions of who they would rather lead the Labor party, much less have any concept of how far we are away from the next election, or how the public service that advises policy isn't elected.

Thankfully these wierdos are still small in number.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

BBJoey posted:

do you follow this credo in other aspects of your life?

The more pressing question is whether or not he owns a wheelbarrow.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Does the M in Ken M stand for Morrison?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Ken M is a well known internet troll and I was making a cheap joke about how the "gag comments" posted in his screenshot I posted are remarkably similar to the "serious policy" of the Australian Federal Government.

Please be nice to me.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

If the state government is going to allow strangers to hook up, it shouldn’t restrict people from going outside their 5km limit either to visit a park. These rules aren’t based on any health advice, they’re based on making it easier for police to fine people.

Abstinence-only sex education pls

e: :cumpolice:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

What I am doing is potentially setting a bad example.

Thread title.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

As an aside, I gave blood for the first time last week*. Place was packed and appointments were sparse. I asked the nurse if its usually that busy or its just lockdown meaning people are just looking an excuse to get out. It was the latter.

That's a positive at least. In my case 0+.

*been meaning to for ages but had my own medical issues until recently.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Poor image quality grabbed from a news story but... why?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sydney-university-temporarily-removes-hong-kong-police-job-ad-20201013-p564ko.html

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

What is it about men trained to be killers that turns them into psychos?

https://youtu.be/3EI-TIUycqk

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Guardian posted:

A Toowoomba doctor who advocates gay conversion therapy has been endorsed for Liberal National party preselection by a host of conservative figures, including sitting senators Matt Canavan and Eric Abetz, the former deputy prime minister John Anderson and the News Corp columnist Miranda Devine.

David van Gend believes homosexuality is “a potentially treatable psychological condition”, opposes legal abortion and disputes scientific evidence of global heating.

Business as usual.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

gently caress I just got around to reading this.

Apparently Australian special forces, at least one platoon named, had a reputation bad enough that the USMC didn't want to be a part of their missions. Compared to US and UK special forces, the Australians were noted for being unrestrained in their violence.

That's not very inspiring.

Is the upcoming SAS Australia TV show going to show Schapelle Corby murdering drug dealers? Seems problematic.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"ABC posted:

"It's f***ing bullshit. I'm not happy with it," says the patrol commander.

"One of the engineers went, 'Yeah it happened, he just took him around the corner and f***ing shot him.'"

"You can't do it in front of anyone but a f***ing operator," says one of the operators.

"You can't do it in front of anyone. You don't do it front of anyone, it's so wrong on so many levels," says the patrol commander.

"You can't do it in front of anyone but a f***ing operator," says one of the operators.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

TheLoneAmigo posted:

So many tiny towns are run by a small clique of landed elites, cop families, and business owners.

As opposed to every other level of government?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Alternatively is there any way we could black out the sky ala The Matrix to make coal look like a better choice than solar?

The sky was greyed out all over the East coast last year. Just do that again!

Also who likes Koalas?
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...stephens-quarry

At least now they won't burn to death.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Aussie Jager would be built in France, be diesel powered and half the size of the others. Would be painted like a golliwog.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

My conspiracy nut friend made a pilgrimage to Daniel Andrew's offices yesterday. Its apparently near a Freemason's hall and right next to a pizza store.

He sent me a photo and said "pizzagate is real btw".

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Horse euthanized at cup today.

gently caress horse racing.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is there a reason you call them a friend

Because I've know him for years. He's always had some wierd fringe beliefs but mostly harmless UFO and alternative spiritual stuff. He quit his retail job like 2 months into lockdown because he got on jobseeker and has spent all his time since stoned and on YouTube.

He's exactly the kind of person to fall into the Q/infowars radicalisation pipeline. No past interest or engagement in politics (openly bragged about never voting), never reads the news, already involved in fringe communities online, grew up on 4chan... add that to the effects the lockdown is generating with all these protests (where people are talking about Q and NWO vaccines/microchips) and he cracked.

I'm just trying to keep him sane but just talking to him is getting difficult.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Oh great Victoria is giving money to Elon Musk!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

JBP posted:

It's nice that they are donating money to him for no reason with no expectation of a product or service in return.

Tesla is sham company run by a creepy billionaire and the Victorian government has decided to do business with them and it is disappointing.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Tesla is full of stuff that doesn't add up. Constant churning of managers and legal representation, numbers of sold/produced vehicles always being off, Musk lying about all the services and not being held accountable. Their declared income for years has been suspect and based off of EV credits and not their actual sales- its a car/battery company that runs off of subsidies and not what it produces. Despite all this the company is worth a huge amount somehow.

https://twitter.com/StultusVox/status/1323653229658460164/photo/1

Not to mention the shady side of selling autopilot and the "beta" testing of it in the USA and how dangerous that is.

If the battery works, then great. But my point about not wanting the Victorian government to do business with them stands.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Quantum Shart posted:

did they say tesla for the big battery?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-05/new-tesla-battery-for-moorabool-victoria/12851698

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

Wait what the gently caress, the dude is thirty one, he made this video in his mid twenties

I thought Jordie was like a gross teen, like Caleb

Is Caleb loving thirty?!

Caleb Bond is younger right now than Jordies was in that video

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Tax bike helmets

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

freebooter posted:

I was talking to my mum in Perth and she mentioned how my sister, grandfather and aunt all had really bad colds or flu bugs in the last few weeks. I asked if they got tested and she said no and seemed nonplussed that I would even suggest it, which I think was my first real interstate culture shock moment, which I'm sure will only become more pronounced as we go into 2020.

Please, not 2020 again...

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I saw him quoted as saying this so went looking if it was still up. After the Victorian lockdown successfully stamped out covid...

Also found this lol

His comment section is exactly what you imagine it is.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Guardian posted:

Oil giants Santos and Comet Ridge are again pushing to explore for gas under a licence that covers land owned by Barnaby Joyce, which he said he would sell almost seven years ago, acknowledging it could be perceived as a conflict of interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...y-barnaby-joyce

lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

ungraceful baldness: championship addition.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Not sure about the media but it is definitely in our national interest to ensure that other countries are not freely allowed to dehumanise Australians. In the buildup to wars (or even just hardball diplomatic action) one of the common things to do is to de-humanise the people you want to fight with. Just ask Armenians about Azerbaijani, Azerbaijani about Armenians or Americans about Arabs etc. China is not tweeting out of a sense of worry about the people that out of control SAS was inflicting violent crimes on. It is tweeting to position itself for stronger diplomatic action from a position of moral superiority. Same as the US hand wringing about rights abuses in Cuba or Venezuela.

Or you know, how Australians feel about Afghans, evidently.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

abigserve posted:

apparently this is a hot take but that twitter post was hosed up and there's no way you could just skirt passed it without any sort of response.

Australia is responsible for a bunch of atrocities as well but luckily as human beings we can think that multiple things are bad at the same time

I agree with this 100% but I think the point was:

At this point Morrison should probably thank China for effectively burying any outrage at our war crimes.

Its shifted the media outlook and allowed a massive pivot in government messaging from somber acceptance and accountability to defiance and demanding respect for our troops. Its a week later and they've backflipped on confiscating medals.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Knobb Manwich posted:

The government was never in favour of stripping the unit's meritorious service award AFAIK. Defence was going to recommend the unit be stripped because it would never have been given if they'd known about the war crimes, but backflipped on that.

How the gently caress is it always just... worse

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Kevin Rudd is coming back from Wuhan to Adelaide as we speak though so be careful

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

What the actual gently caress

Guardian posted:

Peter Dutton has been forced to withdraw a comment branding the Greens leader as an “enemy of the state” during torrid debate on the new Asio powers bill.

The legislation - which lowers the minimum age for compulsory questioning on terrorism-related matters to 14 years, and expands the type of issues that can be subject to questioning to include espionage and foreign interference - sailed through the lower house a short time ago.

Labor attempted to move some amendments, including ensuring that a judge continue to be involved in signing off on compulsory questioning warrants rather than just putting it in the hands of the attorney general, but those amendments failed (59 votes in favour to 61 votes against).

Guardian Australia had previously reported on the push from Labor to keep what it described as a Howard government safeguard, or “double lock”, on signing off on questioning warrants - but Labor ended up voting for the bill even without that safeguard in place.

The Greens leader, Adam Bandt, claimed the new powers would give the attorney general unfettered powers, and that Labor should be prepared to vote down the entire bill if the amendments did not succeed.

Dutton said he wanted to thanks shadow attorney general Mark Dreyfus for his contribution to the debate but the home affairs minister said he hoped somebody fact checked Bandt’s “appalling contribution”.

“People will take it at face value and discount it as an appalling contribution. You [Bandt] make Australians unsafe, you make Australians unsafe through your pathetic contributions and your stances in relation to these matters.”

Dutton said ensuring safety and protection of the Australian community was the first priority of the Morrison government, and the security agencies needed the capability to counter the threats of politically motivated violence, terrorism espionage and foreign interference.

Both Dutton and Dreyfus pointed to the fact the bill included repeal of the more intrusive “questioning and detention” powers.

Dutton moved some amendments in response to recommendations of the parliamentary joint committee on intelligence and security. Dutton praised the work of Liberal committee chair Andrew Hastie and Labor deputy chair Anthony Byrne, whom he described as “two absolutely patriotic and professional” MPs “in complete contrast to the enemy of the state, the member for Melbourne [Bandt], as was represented before in his contribution”.

Bandt demanded that the minister withdraw and apology for unparliamentary remark, prompting Dutton to withdraw the comment.

This loving government...

This goddamn opposition

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

bowmore posted:

If we get another Howard that means we get another K Rudd

https://youtu.be/6-XvekA33XM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/TimSmithMP/status/1337147793245315072