Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

freebooter posted:

I am very pro border restrictions but that case was one in which Morrison was right and Palaszcuk was wrong. The bereaved in question was flying in from the ACT, where there's no community transmission. What was the risk?

edit - I'm not saying Morrison wasn't politically motivated, obviously he was. But so was Palaszcuk. Taking a hardline "no exceptions" rule to "send a message" is lovely when we do it for international migrants and lovely when we do it to our own people too.

I couldn’t go to a funeral either so yeah it loving sucks but don’t get sucked into the LNP points scoring game here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Amethyst posted:

It isn't just a point scoring game though. It's families being separated lol.

Okay cool I’ll let the asylum seekers know that they’ll be reunited with their families now too

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Wizard Master posted:

Sorry mate but these types of snarktastic responses help exactly two people: Jack and poo poo

Where do you think we are??

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hooman posted:

Hot Take: All posts are bad, even this one.

EDIT: Nachos are good.

We will dictate who arrives in QLD and the circumstances they arrive in, Nacho spineless LNP sop who’s being weak on borders.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

QLD having ACT as a hot-spot has always seemed weird to me but maybe they just want to stop Federal politicians from coming to QLD to campaign during the state election? I joke and god that sounds jaded as gently caress but everyone's playing politics so obviously and clumsily right now I wouldn't even be shocked.

it's because some dude tried to escape NSW via the ACT. Idk if there's border control between NSW and the ACT but it's because it was ruined for everyone.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The answer to 16 has to be B or C, surely.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

A lot of Australians are barely literate in English.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Next time I apply for a job I'll write my application in Farsi and see how it goes.

will be a step up from smearing your poo poo everywhere and calling it shakespeare

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lid posted:

A former stock trader who drunkenly robbed Sydney banks more than four decades ago has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail.

Ross McCarty, now 71, admitted to police he had a double life in which he would "get boozed at lunch time" for the hold ups in 1977 and 1978.

Using a water pistol and disguises including fake moustaches and sunglasses, McCarty wrote his demands for cash on withdrawal slips handed to tellers.

Doesn’t seem like a double life to me

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-16/nsw-central-coact-holiday-homes-tourism-covid-19-hotspots/12669074

I don't know what to do about this. Like it's not just a whinge and I know I wouldn't be working a full week to earn a hundred bucks more than jobseeker if I was on it. This combined with all the insolvent traders will be interesting. Work for the jobseeker incoming.

Really turns out a lot of places arent paying a living wage

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

like in Brisbane there's a cafe owner melting down on facebook about how they can't attract staff or anything because it's the fault of the government WHILST posting job ads which basically raise every single red flag for lovely employer.

It's wild, and I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that the majority of these places were probably pretty toxic to work at pre-COVID and this is just the consequences of their actions.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy though, like there were concerns from the outset so people didn't go for it...

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lol thats not even remotely close to what is happening

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Brisbane watch house officer suspended over the death of Indigenous woman Aunty Sherry Tilberoo

"Natural causes" for an Aboriginal death in custody in this country still includes hanging yourself with your hands tied behind your back and spontaneous heart attacks with associated boot shaped bruising on the chest.

But actually seeing a cop being even slightly inconvenienced for allowing an indigenous woman to die is progress.

Ah. I wonder if their official job description is "designated sacrificial lamb".

This was my actual reading of the situation. loving hilarious too because the "just following orders" guy is against the wall, but really should also be seeing those in command catch some flak too.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

When your reply button says "Submit Milquetoast Reply"

Turn your monitor on.

E: how the hell of saying someone’s death is covered up murder not helpful? Jfc

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

That statement kinda seems to be saying the opposite

I'm confused.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Never. I'll be guessing what you're all posting when I reply forever.

Same

Solemn Sloth posted:

I love the brokebrain sovcit idea that if you don't physically touch the fine you haven't been served

Americans have a lot to answer for here, I suspect.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

yes it appears that this person definitely had medical attention withheld and yes someone has already been scapegoated for it but would you just consider lowering your voice and being just a bit more rational?? Screaming about deaths in custody won't accomplish anything, you're being too emotional here to engage in a debate on whether deaths in custody should be occurring. We can talk about this when you've calmed down a bit and stopped being so angry.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

don't know why they even bother reporting this anymore, literally nobody cares, the government has been breaking the law for the best part of a decade and no-one will be held to account.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Good that the Vic health minister has to resign to join the NSW health minister who similarly was pushed to resign after the Ruby Princess inquiry.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

yeah well shame it's not Palaszczuk up there in that cartoon, Berejiklian has not been copping it as much.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I daresay to avoid the cartoon to appear partisan.

sorry mate but anything even mildly critical of the government will be dismissed as partisan

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

This government is obsessed with aping the Chinese government when it comes to brutally subjugating it’s people.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Dimebag posted:

80 years too late to parachute a Nazi into France.

But enough about Abetz

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Newman was barely passable as a Lord Mayor, but he also was very middle management in the Army so it makes sense that a he'd be way out of his depth with strategic leadership.

Still hunting down a Campbell Coin for my collection

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

bowmore posted:

i’ve never voted for a bad choice

I don’t know about that one, chief.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Get hosed Latham and those bigots

But you repeat yourself.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

#4. If you want to take issue with me breaking restrictions, sure. But don't paint this as somehow me "spreading the virus". It just isn't true.

You wouldn't know it even if you were, my friend. Amazingly this exceptionalist mindset is exactly why Vic/Melb had a huge rear end outbreak and you are contravening social expectations and norms by doing it, as well as threatening the health of everyone for your own selfish reasons. It's normal to feel poo poo about it but your actions have consequences.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

I wish everyone here were as forthright as you on this.

No it isn't. The reason we had an outbreak is because hotel security failed. That's it. Brett Sutton confirmed this.

Again, you're equating "breaking restrictions" with "spreading the virus", and those two aren't the same thing.

For instance, right now L-platers are not allowed to practice driving for no reason. If they were to leave home and drive for no reason, they would technically be breaking restrictions. But are they spreading the virus? Of course not.

Me, going to a park with no one around, is not spreading the virus. I don't know how to state it more clearly than that.

I mean, argue that it's selfish, argue that I'm setting a bad example, sure. But it isn't threatening anyone's health.

Edit: I think anyone here crticising me for breaking restrictions needs to state clearly if they supported / attended the BLM protests, because they were arguably more risky than what I'm doing.

No, I'm criticising you because due to the nature of COVID-19, you won't actually know whether you are spreading the virus until you develop symptoms. This is why the virus has been so drat insidious, people don't know when they are infectious so the best way to limit this is social distancing/lockdowns. You are rationalising it to yourself why you aren't doing the bad thing, but when a lot of people think exactly the same thing, it falls on it's rear end.

Also hasn't there been no evidence to suggest any of the BLM protests were the source of virus transmission? Come on that was like pre the current Vic outbreak

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

I was near no one this morning and put no one at risk.

Hang on, are you making the argument there that because no one was sick, therefore, breaking restrictions was okay? How is that any different than the argument I'm making now? You can't change your goalposts.

The goalposts aren't moving my man, you just aren't getting it.

Tommunist posted:

I think you misunderstand why people were angry at you.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

So what you're saying is, breaking restrictions is okay, if the risk is low enough?

Oh, I absolutely agree I'm putting myself outside of the rules. What I disagree with is people saying that I'm putting others at risk, which I'm not. If you're going to make that argument, you also should criticise the BLM protests for the same thing. Just be consistent.

I'm not sure you get this thing called temporal order but the outbreak happened after the major round of BLM protests. It's the behaviour after that lockdown which is the problem. You can see here that because the BLM protests were before a thing, it's judged differently to the things that happened after.

Also I know that you know this too, and this is just a demonstration that you consider yourself the main character and everyone else is just an NPC who doesn't really matter as long as you specifically can break the rules.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Can someone contract Coronavirus whilst wearing a bike helmet and riding on the sidewalk on King St? Curious minds must know!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

bobvonunheil posted:

I don't buy that the 'left' were ever sceptical about COVID, it always felt like "let's be careful and make sure it doesn't gently caress us over" and the body burning and urn stockpiling stuff was always nutjob conspiracy theory territory that I wouldn't necessarily attribute to the 'right' either.

It was really convenient at the time about how a 5G protest was fine but the BLM protests weren’t. We were extremely lucky that the BLM protests didn’t lead to transmission as Sierra Madre said.

That was a great post btw.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EoinCannon posted:

I went in last week for my 6th donation and mentioned that I had a bit of fatigue for a few days after the last one (I run daily and noticed that I just didn't quite have the same spring in my step, if I wasn't running I probably wouldn't have noticed) and they told me I was permanently banned from giving blood. I tried to explain that I run a lot and sweat a lot and I may have just not replaced my salt correctly but they wouldn't hear it. I get that it's probably an insurance thing but it didn't feel great. I should ask if I can get a doctor's note or something. I only mentioned it cos I thought they might give me advice on modifying the running or diet or something

Nah good luck but they basically gently caress you because of that. It really sucks but they are very draconian about it and these days they'll black ball you forever.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Extremely cool

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

There’s a bit of a difference between jumping a queue at BWS and breaching biosecurity because you don’t think they should apply to you.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

Oh I definitely said that.

But if you have a problem with that I have a CSPAM to show you.

EDIT:

As a side note it's really fuckin weird that this thread which advocates abolishing the police is in favour of so many of these measures that exist purely to make policing easier. Curfew, etc, had no fuckin point except to make it easier to police and fine people.

Anyway it doesn't matter now, I'm happy with the new restrictions and the roadmap so whatever.

Have you heard about this thing called Coronavirus? It's pretty bad!!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

dunno about anyone else but as a VIC this attitude is really annoying. no one needs your thanks.

Yeah I bet more people in Victoria wishes there was more Coronavirus

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

So the body count at my university is huge, all the schools in the administrative group I am in are being amalgamated, something 400+ jobs are still to be lost, with people only finding out within the next few weeks, we lost a whole subsection of the school, academics and postgrads punching out, it's all extremely wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Those numbers are assuredly based off working full time at a place which actually pays into your super since you were 18.