Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

You can certainly make a salary picking. Professional pickers I worked with drove nice new Honda’s and even a BMW but I couldn’t pick as fast as them. I saved up my first couple of years uni living money working every break picking snow peas, chili’s, squash and other fruit and vege. gently caress okra will never pick that again if I can avoid it but I done a bit of hand corn harvesting last year, did remind me picking is hard work until you get your groove again.
Music and a big hat are your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

freebooter posted:

If Qantas is desperate for business they can loving lobby the state governments to lift their quarantine cap so they can go fetch Australians stranded overseas

Yes, that would be part of the reason for quantas to get media to help put pressure on government about covid protocols - mostly empty 777s or A380s flying Dubai Sydney probably aren’t profitable even if every passenger was business /first class.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I’m not sure what it means by floodplain harvesting. My understanding is that water that falls (ie rain, snow, hail, etc) on your land is yours (unless you sold the water rights) so is this talking about putting lèves up to collect water falling on flat land within the property or referring to water coming onto the property via a flood plains (as opposed to identified water courses such as creeks and rivers).

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I half suspect that because of the BLM/HK/Yellow Jackets and other popular unrest around the world the policing human resource increase is less about cars in Townsville and more about resourcing up for revolt putdowns.

APS fully expect to have to manage unrest in Australia and it is the politicians of both sides jobs to provide the resources and to sell it to the Australian population. Similarly why the drive for normalisation of army use for civilian control (ostensibly for covid control but despite public messaging, diggers trained to shoot people are not any better than ex airline staff at quarantine, a soldier with guaranteed employment dragged down from his/her QLD base does not have any more fucks to give about being near diseased people than a local employed to protect their community).

That's why QLD ALP is doing something that you think would have been anathema post Fitzgerald and re-enforcing the police empire which historically has marched towards the LNP.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

He demonstrably likes ACDC - what's not to like?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Recoome posted:

yeah well shame it's not Palaszczuk up there in that cartoon, Berejiklian has not been copping it as much.

I daresay to avoid the cartoon to appear partisan.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Facial recognition has proven very effective in controlling HK protests - identifying and targeting high value organisers far more effectively than US authorities have in suppressing BLM.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Zenithe posted:

There's an election coming up and they are in opposing political parties.

I think this is most likely and they think it is close enough to be worth putting in the effort.

To be honest I thought the ALP would be a shoo in for QLD because;
~ Covid has not really impacted QLD to the same degree as other states and the government has loosened up internal travel and freedoms cautiously but fairly actively. Crises that aren't completely mishandled generally favour the incumbent.
~ Keeping out other states - always a popular move to keep out "others".
~ Federal is Lib/Nat and that's not going anywhere soon by the looks and Australians generally seem to like having one of each in federal / state.
~ ALP QLD doesn't seem to have had recent major stuff ups - parties get voted out, generally, not oppositions getting voted in.
~ The Nat opposition does not seem to be incompetent but not exciting either.
~There has been plenty of news in 2020 to be bored of the status quo and wanting to change things up just because.

Against that is that ALP has had what 25 or something years in government out of the last 30? Maybe also there is some mud sticking against ALP from all that is being flung against Andrews for being taking the strongest actions on Covid with the worst result nationally. I would not have thought it would be too much of an impact so because polls are quite often completely wrong these days, are we actually looking at a comfortable ALP victory there?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

iajanus posted:

I love how every election nowadays they make a big song and dance about not joining up with them when there's literally a zero percent chance of them not seizing power through any method possible.

You talking about Liberals, Labor, The Greens or Nationals? Would you support a team that doesn’t work towards gaining electoral power?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Sulla Faex posted:

hold up. according to crocodile dundee, australians are rough and ready frontier types who overcome all hardships through iconic laconic larrikinism

wheres that sardonic stoicism

wheres the cheeky wink

who even are we

There was a post a few pages ago bemoaning that Australia is lucky/successful despite being a strong "she'll be right" culture. After spending 10 years overseas, I honestly think it is harder to find a country that is more opposite of it than Australia. The best example I can think of is sitting in a car with an Aussie driver overseas - it is a constant stream of the Aussie driver obviously frustrated with the queue jumpers, the speeders, the overloaded cars or bikes, in-proper parking, or many other things that more relaxed cultures don't worry about. People just let in the taxi/SUV that wants to drive up past 25 cars in a line and cut in, keep out of the road of guys in a hurry, not worry about the lady with seven kids on the back seat etc.

Australians love to follow rules and be told what to do, they like rules to be enforced upon others and are unhappiest when someone seems to be getting something via a method unavailable to themselves or breaking a rule that they are too afraid to break themselves. Celestial Scribe going to a park outside of his 5km bubble - who honestly gives a poo poo? It means essentially nothing in the context of Covid except for the general theme that we must all follow the rules. If he gets fined, that sucks to be him and none of us are going to give him sympathy but its not worth going all thread-rage over it.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Sierra Madre posted:

I think schools had to open regardless. We might chew out CS but raising a family is stressful even at the best of times, especially if you have to look after their schooling and you have to work at the same time. It's not ideal, and will probably end up being a not-insubstantial factor when we have our retrospective on COVID, but even the threat of a plague might be outweighed by other things. I do wonder how teachers feel about going into work now. In other places where this plague is rampant I know they're pissed off and terrified, but I don't know if conditions here have made Melbourne educators a little less afraid.

Accidentally achieving elimination, strangely enough, does seem like a plausible future. Or maybe I'd like to think it's plausible.

The important thing with schools is that the education system is potentially a big part of treating and minimising an outbreak. You teach the kids the processes for social actions required for limiting the spread (social distancing, hand washing, mask wearing, etc which significantly helps spread of such information through broader populations), coping mechanisms (for when relatives/friends get sick and die in numbers to help reduce long term child trauma) and to help with monitoring of child and family health (kids reporting to their teachers is one of the more effective feedback mechanism of what is going on in local families - especially in culturally diverse populations).

The West African Ebola outbreak originally started out with school lockdowns as the scale of the outbreak was being assessed but long before the outbreak was over, kids went back to school during a pandemic of a disease that killed a large (>30%) percentage of cases overall and very high in some vulnerable populations (no reported cases of pregnant mothers and unborn babies surviving Ebola in Sierra Leone). The kids didn't go back to school to help the economy or to give their parents a break, it was directly targeted at helping curb a horrific pandemic.

The kids weren't just sent back to schools as they were before the outbreak but information on what school administrators and teachers could do with available resources to both protect students and workers and achieve the goals listed above was provided. Available resources in these places was often quite limited (half of the schools do not have running water) to levels far below what is normally available to an Australian school.

Treating the Covid outbreak is not just a problem for nurses, doctors and the minister for health. I honestly believe a big cause of the Victorian outbreak was various public servants successfully minimizing anything to do with being involved with administering or taking urgent, risk based but low available information decisions. This is from the police who didn't want to police quarantine hospitals (but more than happy to organise the riot squad on BLM protests), transport authorities looking after airports and commuters etc as well as local councils and federal political government. It didn't end up with under-trained private guards holding back frustrated travelers because the public service weren't allowed to do it, they ended up with it because the public service didn't want anything to do with it or accountability for it and who took action wherever possible to push it away from them. CS goes off about Dan Andrews and ok he is ultimately responsible but it disappoints me that it looks like the NSW public service better served Berejiklian than the Victorian public service did for Andrews.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Looks like a lot of seats a swinging to the current incumbent across the board, KAP, ONP, ALP, LIB/NAT all mostly have swings towards sitting members with notable exceptions such as Jackie Trad (predictable) and Deb Frecklington.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

eh, Musk is a wierdo but the results of SpaceX in particular and Tesla to a lesser extant are undeniable. Additionally, Victoria is not buying the cars which seems to be the most precarious of products from Tesla but the battery arrays which are a lot more straight forward.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Also, as a QLD'er, I appreciate Palaszczuk ignoring Berejiklian's work together text after the election and only reply to tell her her state team sucks.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Recoome posted:

would be nice if we just didn't nuke our whole research sector from orbit, we could actually design/build these kind of things ourselves!

Battery performance research has been incremental research for a large number of years with most of the gains recently realised by Tesla being cost and that being achieved through scale which is achieved by putting them into a lot of cars and powerwalls. If Australia wanted to do something over the last 30-50 years that would already have had us off coal/NG now it would have been nuclear.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I think the term Bonk Ban helps me realise where some of the perception of "she'll be right" Australia, at odds with generally relatively pedantic behavior of Australians.

I think a lot of Europe/Africa/Asia will not as commonly use an irreverent term for a policy (for eg) but would also not follow it as strictly or be concerned that others were not following it. The act of casualising the title for a serious business concept allows for the topic to be discussed in general conversation without sounding like talking rules and regulations. And it is generally the case that the more you talk about something, the more it is in the minds of people as they go about their business.

Admittedly, in this case there is extra interest because the party of conservatives has generally been the mob to hold everyone else to their values so double tasty to rub the bonk ban into their faces.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Cartoon posted:

The South Australian republic of LNP clowndonia has decided to be completely loving stupid on electric vehicles:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-11/sa-to-introduce-electric-vehicle-user-charge/12869302

OK so by that logic heavy vehicles should be paying between 1000 and 10,000 times what a standard car is paying. Funny how the 'user pays' argument isn't applicable when it is being used on someone you like/support/take donations from.

Electric vehicles are the future. Sensible government will be encouraging their use. Providing the infrastructure for them should be a priority and paid for by government (you know like the railways, roads and most public works). gently caress heads like Rob Lucas should be debagged, defenestrated and replaced.

KMCN was a passenger in an allegedly stolen car that crossed onto the wrong side of the road and crashed head-on with another vehicle following an 11-minute police chase in Orelia, southern Perth. Her four-year-old nephew was in the back of the car. Police were cleared of any role in her death, and her partner, who had been driving the car, was sentenced to seven and a half years' jail for dangerous driving causing her death and grievous bodily harm to another. The state coroner, Ros Fogliani, blamed her death on the driver's methamphetamine usage.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody.

Fuel excise pays a significant portion of road maintenance and does scale with vehicle mass and use Fuel excise collections will taper off as e-vehicles proliferate so it makes sense something has to change to include e-vehicles in the collections.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah it does seem pretty strange when at work we have to wear masks when working outside all day but then go into the crib rooms for lunch and taken them off to eat while sitting inside in close proximity to each other.

I guess on the flip side blanket requirements are far easier to comprehend than nuanced specific rules for certain circumstances. Messaging gets too complicated otherwise.

My mum's a nurse and they separated out eating areas with temporary covered outside areas available to eat your meal by yourself and not be without a mask within meters of others. Not all staff avail themselves of it unfortunately.

Our worksite we staggered lunches and setup the tables so that you would be several meters between personnel while eating. A lot of the guys want to chat with their mates so takes some enforcing to make sure they don't drag table/chairs together etc.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I see Victoria is planning to do what we discussed some thread ago about expanding public housing.

Which is nice and hopefully they are dusting off some old detailed plans and not just rushing it and creating the equivalent of UK projects housing.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

EoinCannon posted:

Good to see, I assume it's not enough but still a good thing. They did frame it a job creation thing too, which is kind of weird but if it means more public housing then whatever

I don't think it is weird that it is framed in job creation - it makes a lot of sense that during an economic downturn that the government does catch-up capital works to soak up some worker capacity. Ideally by 2024 Victoria should be fairly far along to recovery and the winding down of government capex spending for this build out will be evened out by increased private sector spending.

A little awkward a feeling if a correctional officer has covid, if it gets into a prison it could cause some carnage.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to whinge about Michael McCormack's appearance on ABC News in the morning: he was meant to be talking about the outbreak in SA and yet he still managed to go out of his way to commend Gladys by name for her response which he then followed with a less enthusiastic "and SA have responded very well themselves" lol what a prick. Don't think he mentioned the premier of SA by name even once.

probably doesn't know the Premier of SA's name - I sure don't.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

freebooter posted:

I'm not quite sure that this is what you're suggesting, so apologies if I'm making an assumption, but: masks wouldn't have prevented this SA outbreak and absolutely wouldn't be an adequate substitute for the current circuit-breaker lockdown. There's a point to them when enough up-the-line defences have failed that the virus is circulating widely in the community (like it was in Victoria), but not as a just-in-case prophylactic for a jurisdiction that's achieved elimination.

There's also the ongoing problem - one of the reasons the Victorian CHO was originally reluctant to require them - that widespread mask use makes people think they're now behaving safely and can go about their business as they used to. I see that here in Victoria, and you can especially see that all over the US, from people who otherwise mean well and think they're being COVID-safe.

Wearing masks and practicing hand washing helped reduce the infection rate of cohabitating people significantly compared to those that cohabitated and were not explicitly told to wear masks practice extra hygiene. Enough of a difference that even though we can never be sure, it is a chance that the Adelaide outbreak might not have allowed the release into the wider population. I suggest this because if everyone had washed their hands and had a mask on to enter each shop like happens where I live, it might not have spread further.

I think your theory that wearing a mask makes enough people think they are invincible and therefore mask wearing more harmful complete rubbish. No study or perusal of stats supports that populations wearing masks and encouraging enhanced hygiene has increased the spread of covid versus populations that don't wear masks or encourage enhanced hygiene which is basically what you are saying. I think telling Australia that it is covid free and therefore no need to wear masks seems to have even more people think they are invincible in the face on a potentially endemic disease.

We want to normalise mask wearing/hygiene practices because even outside covid, it seems evident that the disease load on the population has been reduced significantly by these practices. Additionally, the vaccines so far are in my understanding protectionary and not sterilising so once we vaccinate and open up completely (likely mid next year), normalised mask wearing/hand hygiene will hopefully protect the smaller portion of the population unable to receive a vaccine or it is not effective for.

Completely different subject;
Unlawful killings versus murder is squeemish avoiding chat for sure but also, a lot of people think of all actions that happen by Australians in Afghanistan/Iraq is murder and term unlawful killings does differentiate between combat killing to killings outside the legal protections afforded Australian soldiers. Our political leaders are responsible for the murder of populations in both countries (even if our soldiers followed all the rules), soldiers and their leadership chain are responsible for the stuff that is being talked about by ABC/Channel Nine.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

bowmore posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if rupert paid for the bots himself

Easiest way to find some bots in a massive petition is to name them something you remember when you set them up to be found.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

bell jar posted:

putting the decision to go into hyperlockdown onto one guy at a pizza shop instead of the contact tracer who mistook inconsistent data with super saiyan covid, simply excellent. you love to see it

Again you see the trend where public servants will leak/provide information to the media to defray responsibility from the services and push it onto someone not in a position to defend themselves effectively.

freebooter posted:

You want all 25 million people in Australia to wear masks inside their own homes at all times on the off-chance there's a local COVID outbreak?

No, I don't think it is necessary for the broader population to wear masks at all times in their own homes. I did not suggest that.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

freebooter posted:

Absolutely. After what Victoria just went through I don't fault any premier for erring extremely on the side of caution. Nor do I envy them having to make these decisions.

I do however believe it's well past time we re-examined our two-birds-with-one-stone policy of enforcing quarantine by bailing out the hotel industry.

You alluded to a study about how masks decreased transmission between co-habitants. Other than that you suggested people should have to wear masks when entering retail, which I don't think is crazy at all but I do think it's excessive as a just-in-case measure when a region has eliminated the virus.

Aside from places like the US where you should be walking outside in a spacesuit if possible, masks are a great addition to strict lockdown measures like Victoria had. They start feeling silly once bars and restaurants are safely open for dining i.e. the way Australia is doing it, once virus transmission is at zero or in single figures and you're confident in your contact tracing - not the way the US or Europe are doing it where they decided they just don't give a poo poo. It's self-evidently pointless for somebody to have to walk down the street wearing a mask if they're passing al fresco tables full of people happily eating, drinking and chatting away without masks.

I discussed the co-habituating study because it demonstrates just how effective regularized mask wearing is in even extreme cases let alone when when walking past sidewalks full of diners.

By the same logic of feeling silly wearing a mask while someone else eats without one, well seatbelts in cars must feel very silly when you see people riding horses or motorbikes.

On the hotel thing, I don't really understand what you hope to achieve by making everyone live in temporary hotels instead of permanent ones already built. In Feb and before we knew how bad Covid was going to be (we were planning for Ebola levels of horror with measles level of contagiousness), we built a temporary quarantine facility onsite - concrete plinths and walkways, individual air conditioned rooms opening directly outside, clean and dirty entrances to sections with outside air locks, double fence security with RFID tracking, separate sewage treatment facility etc. It took weeks to bang up but months to finish off properly. It sits empty now and we use local hotels for our entry to site quarantining (despite our own facility being essentially free to use and booking out entire floors of hotels is costing a fortune) because our workers absolutely do not want to live in temporary accommodation. The government officials absolutely don't want to drive outside their city base for daily supervision of our quarantining. Even building the government officials fought tooth and nail against going through the bother or accountability of signing off on land-take, construction approvals, environmental assessments, local landowner / impacted stakeholders engagement and consultation, livelihood restauration etc that goes into building substantial (even if temporary) facilities. It's not just capitalists that don't want to go to all this bother and expense but the public service who you seem to assume want anything at all to do with amount of accountability and the end users who you seem to believe have to suffer so you feel more comfortable without a mask or washing your hands. We were able to do the build because it is part of our business to build villages (generally 1,500 private and government structures a year) complete with all the soft stuff that everyone forgets.

In summary, repurposing hotels for quarantine where infrastructure and facilities are already established is an absolute no-brainer compared to starting from scratch temporary facilities. So much so that even if you have well set up purpose built quarantining facilities, it still is better to rent out entire floors of hotels and employ additional staff to support the hotels for quarantining then use temporary facilities.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Nanpa posted:

This is a good post, but it's half past two in the morning, so etc. But anyway, my original comment was going to be about how the hotel quarantine system up until the Victorian breakout (could have happened anywhere etc) was going to be a mental health and or self harm hotspot, which was mentioned once or twice at the inquiry. How did you deal with getting people in and out of rooms while they were in quarantine, and spacing them while giving outside time? Did it factor into planning much?

Sorry I took a while to reply to this.

I was not in the down and dirty detail planning but each building with one ensuite room is about five meters from the next and there was a small table and chair setup outside each one (the rooms are like Paris hotel small inside). We did organize a local imam to assist with the national staff for spiritual guidance/help and stress to all staff that counseling services were available through our medical insurance provider.

For the hotels, we had enlisted the support of the WHO to help advise and supervise our quarantining practices (in conjunction with the regional medical authorities) and to be honest, the keeping them separated and organised was a bit loose at times and even nurses/doctors being paid for shifts specifically to sit in a designated area to watch the common hallways/respond to quarantinees would drop the ball without follow-up. Considering our quarantining was entirely for site workers (no children, no medically constrained, straight forward ability to (and did) sack people that don't follow the rules, etc) it is about as easy as it could have been and is still hard work for everyone involved.

For the hotels, we booked the floors where each room had balconies and my room/balcony was big enough that I was walking over 20k steps a day pacing back and forth. From talking to the guys that go back to Australia and spend two weeks not being able to get one bit of fresh air (because a lot of hotels don't seem to have openable windows nowadays), that was a very mentally draining thing let alone those that want to smoke (although some smoke(d) contraband into ceiling cavities to avoid the smoke detectors etc) or didn't think to pack a barbell into their luggage for improvised gym work etc. I myself walk a heap as mentioned and had all but the first couple of meals out on the balcony and that is a big deal for me.

Speaking of meals, I eat anything so was happy with whatever but for the picky eater guys, it was a drag in-country because there's no Uber eats or whatever allowed in our hotels but for the guys back in Aus, at least some could order in from outside and that was a big thing to help with their mood.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

cohsae posted:

Pretty amazing the speed with which the entire media swung from "Australia's war-crime shame" to "The vile and unscrupulous communist orientals are daring to insult the bravest soldiers on Earth"

Not sure about the media but it is definitely in our national interest to ensure that other countries are not freely allowed to dehumanise Australians. In the buildup to wars (or even just hardball diplomatic action) one of the common things to do is to de-humanise the people you want to fight with. Just ask Armenians about Azerbaijani, Azerbaijani about Armenians or Americans about Arabs etc. China is not tweeting out of a sense of worry about the people that out of control SAS was inflicting violent crimes on. It is tweeting to position itself for stronger diplomatic action from a position of moral superiority. Same as the US hand wringing about rights abuses in Cuba or Venezuela.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Meritorious Service Medal more like Murder Badge

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Chomskyan posted:

Ok but to continually call a political cartoon a “fake image” when it depicts something that actually happened (AU soldiers slitting the throats of children). It’s just sad.

I was the same as you, I belabored under the misconception that the two 14 year old boys throat slitting report was one of the apparent war crimes with strong evidentiary base. It turns out that it is not and the image is indeed a fake image, both literally and in terms of relating provable events.

The SAS and the people that put the SAS in the situation they were in are reprehensible and need to be held to account. That does not give a free pass for China to advance its geopolitical goals via dehumanising propaganda which at this particular time is related to Australia having influence in PNG, Fiji and other islands within a few hundred or thousand km of Australia as well as supporting countries with strongly supportable claims on the South China Sea.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

There are a number of events which are likely to support a military conviction. There are also other allegations which are not supported to a standard likely to result in a conviction or are provably untrue. The 14 year old boys one was in the second group.

As a result on its own investigation, the ADF disbanded 2SQN, recommended the stripping of the unit meritorious service medals for several years (looking like being overruled by the political leadership of Australia) and pursuit of military justice of a number personnel as well as show cause notices going out to those that likely would not be able to be convicted but were otherwise likely to have been involved or negligent in their leadership.

The ADF is like any defense force and is to be distrusted as a matter of course and it is possible or maybe even likely that that there are other and even worse events that have not been reported. However, it looks like the ADF has (belatedly) gone in fairly strongly on this. It is only a short time ago the SAS were treated by the Australian public similar to how Americans glorify and undulate their armed forces. The media and ADF leadership coming out and outing the SAS as the shameful dogs that they are is probably beyond what most military organisations around the world would ever expect.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

yeah tru dat

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Recoome posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-04/victoria-scales-back-troop-request-for-new-hotel-quarantine-prog/12952512

So bet the Libs won’t walk back any of their prior criticism of Vic for not using the ADF.

People itt we’re big fans of the ADF being involved but it was obvious that it was not the right way. Assuming the ADF.has the resources, skills or interest in looking after quarantine facilities over even airline staff was always laughable.
The only reason the police are there now is because they would have been dragged kicking and screaming.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Cartoon posted:

?

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed, mental health / cognitive impairment.

You were late to the party, thebastardken already highlighted that the ADF was also the mob that decided what evidence was going to be decisive etc.

I agreed with thebastardken the next post.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

It's good to go through and slowly clean up medications that seem to have worked (or not worked) for eight decades without much reporting of adverse effects, even if it is just out of an abundance of caution. It seems that they are concerned about that in event of unforeseeable overuse, it could could cause adverse effects and that is why it is being removed.

It might be that they simply have to place recommended and do not exceed doses on the packaging and it can go back on sale.

I am not sure why the breathless commenting though. It seems like a medicine that has been used for eight decades without reported adverse effects, that when used at levels outside expectations, it could technically exceed a belt and braces limit (I am sure the TGA limits, like a lot of statutory limits are set well below the safe limits of a substance). The fact that they don't mention what they consider high or prolonged dosing leads me to believe that high is very high (maybe multiple bottles) and prolonged is very prolonged (maybe longer than children have colic).

If there is no safe level of chloroform, that is not an issue for the medicine maker as much as the TGA having to research/review its limits and publish the update but I suspect that chloroform, being medically used and also commonly present in treated tap water, is well understood that to a certain level is not that big of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

yeah, entirely predictable.

We all have had a card gently caress up or run short when making a purchase from time to time but it never feels good and people feeling vulnerable enough as it is get a kick in the guts by getting a "card declined" for no good reason.

At the very least I can avoid card anxiety by generally avoiding buying more than what I have cash in my pocket for but they don't even get that.