Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Daniel “Hitler” Andrews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Walking disappointment/corporate bootlicker Matt Canavan has opened his stupid loving mouth again:

https://twitter.com/mattjcan/status/1304291929069240320

What a piece of poo poo

While we are all saddened by the damage to historic sites in Palmyra, we shouldn’t forget that ISIS took a lot of wayward youth and gave them a real sense of purpose

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Knobb Manwich posted:

Sooooo... Are we going to talk about one of the co-authors of the modelling Dan used saying Dan's gone twice as hard as they would've recommended?

The Herald sun article quotes the co author saying Dan's limit has a estimated 3% chance of a third wave. Their preferred target has s 10% chance.

Guys. I think Dan's played Xcom.

I think you’ll find our own esteemed thread epidemiologist recommends 20 per day

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NPR Journalizard posted:

Basil is a greasy dirtbag. If you have any specific stories about him I am all ears and can probably pass them on to a journo who is thinking about writing a story on him.

I’m pretty sure there was a goon here years back that said Basil hit on their 18 year old sister while coked up at a club

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

extinguishing bushfires within an hour seems like a really loving bad fuel management strategy for the ones you miss that get started proper imo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

uvar posted:

Would you pass the Australian Values section on the updated Citizenship Test? I'm also still waiting to see what the updates to the Australian Values Statement are about.

16. Which of these statements best demonstrates Australian values about freedom of expression?
a. Everyone can peacefully express their opinions within the law
b. People with different views from me need to keep quiet
c. Only approved topics can be discussed

17. Should people in Australia make an effort to learn English?
a. People in Australia should speak whichever language is most commonly spoken in their local neighbourhood
b. There is no expectation to learn any particular language in Australia
c. Yes, English is the national language of Australia and it helps to get an education, a job, and to integrate into the community

18. In Australia, can you encourage violence against a person or group of people if you have been insulted?
a. Yes, if you do not intend to carry out the violence
b. No, it is against Australian values and the law
c. Sometimes, if I feel very offended

19. Should people tolerate one another where they find that they disagree?
a. It is against the law to disagree with one another
b. No, people only need to treat each other with respect if they agree with one another
c. Yes, peaceful disagreement reflects Australian values in relation to mutual respect

20. Which of the following is an example of contributing to the Australian community?
a. Volunteering or fundraising for a charity is a great opportunity to strengthen our community
b. I should not make any effort to get to know other people
c. People in Australia should not contribute to the community because Australia is a free country

This feels like the "Are you a terrorist? [ ] Yes [ ] No" question on the USA visa application.

lol answering anything other than c for question 17 automatically fails you on the whole test

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 18, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I love the brokebrain sovcit idea that if you don't physically touch the fine you haven't been served

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

I didn't say it wasn't from neglect. (Or that the higher rates of alcoholism, self-harm and adverse health conditions aren't a direct result of 200 years of oppression). There is a huge difference between neglect, and active murder covered up by an independent coroner.

Both of them are bad. One of them is what actually happened. Pretending that every death in custody is a straight-up murder is false, and pushing a false narrative is not helpful for a cause.

lol you pathetic loving worm

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

I'd like to know what would be helpful for the cause

Having a grown up discussion about it, and meeting somewhere in the middle.

The cops want more deaths in custody, you want less deaths in custody, so let's settle on a smaller increase in deaths in custody and everyone can say they've had a win.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The image implies that the uk is the child in this metaphor?

uhhh...no it doesn't?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hambeet posted:

Tommu owns at least two friendly jordies shirts

But how many friendly shirdies jorts?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Flannelette posted:

This doesn't seem like something you can get out of like normal LNP corruption of it looks corrupt but there's no way to prove it. He broke an Australian criminal code law with irrefutable evidence, he's going to get hit with one or more of: deprivation of liberty, a civil suit and contempt of court. They have to charge him or the rule of law breaks down.

:allears:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tommunist posted:

Mikakos has resigned

Extremely fortunate they happened to have a health minister from the upper house to shove under the bus without having to risk a by-election (more for the narrative of a swing and potential loss, as they’ve got a safe margin in the lower house)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

*looks up who was in power just over 30 years ago in quwensland*

Ah, well then

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

I have mates in FNQ and they say that a car gets stolen from Townsville every night and it's a huge problem up there.

You’d think one of them would have put it in the garage if it keeps getting stolen every night

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The biggest increase in police since the Fitzgerald inquiry is a great campaign imo, go wild

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So the epidemiologist said one in a million, based on 5 cases (a day, presumably)...the AFR then compares that to the chance of getting struck by lightning which it claims is one in 12,000, meaning there should be 416 people struck by lightning every day in Melbourne?

Like, I’m not convinced by the necessity of masks with no community transmission, but comparing a chance of something happening daily to the chance of something happening over your lifetime is pathetic journalism.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 28, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

At least the lightning has an actual chance if killing you, unlike the 1 in 20 million chance of dying to covid if you aren't an invalid.

I’m hoping you can provide a breakdown of people who have died from lightning compared to with lightning to back this up

In some cases, lightning may be beneficial or even necessary for life (Shelley, M 1818)

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 28, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Maybe the abc didn't get the memo.

Ah yes, all those plentiful high interest no risk accounts...hmmm

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

The Age's latest installment in its series of treating lockdown vs COVID deaths as a beard-stroking trolley problem is a piece by Peter Singer, who's argued in the past that it's morally OK to kill newborn babies with disabilities

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/we-should-be-counting-years-of-life-lost-or-saved-20201008-p56362.html

The article seems like a heap of fuckin garbage overall but this really stood out to me

quote:

When faced with a highly contagious disease that puts vulnerable people at risk, few Victorians are moved by abstract calls for “freedom” coming mostly from younger people who are at lower risk. Most accept that the lockdown is necessary because it saves lives.

That sure as gently caress hasn't been the demos of people screaming about DICTATOR DAN that I've seen

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CelestialScribe posted:

Brett Sutton was asked today if vic can achieve its roadmap targets.

His answer: “Who knows.”

These loving clowns.

Don’t sign your posts

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Victorian government recently introduced a new local government act, and the entire purpose of it was to introduce single member wards to make it easier for party hacks to control councils. Everything else in the bill was Wishlist stuff or a bargaining chip to preserve the single member ward reforms.

Both major parties are almost certainly going hard at this round of elections, either openly or not.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CelestialScribes posting is the reason we need a bill of rights in Victoria

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CelestialScribe posted:

The 2nd wave occurred because security guards were not trained properly and there was not a system in place to prevent their own personal mistakes (yes, flagrant restriction breaking) from threatening the community.

That is Dan Andrews' failure, and his failure alone. And if it was a Liberal government you would say the same thing.

So you recognise that flagrant rule breaking allowed breaches in security to lead to widespread community transmission.

You appear to have little confidence in the competence of the State Government (and thus their ability to prevent future breaches)

And your solution is to encourage flagrant rule breaking, so that when an apparently inevitable breach occurs it will result in more widespread community transmission

You are a stunningly intelligent person.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

There have been big failings by this Government's handling of COVID-19 right up to the Premier

The current leadership of this Government are in a better place to lead us out of this than any of the alternatives, either within or outside the Victorian labor party.

These aren't mutually exclusive.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CelestialScribe posted:

The Government hasn't lived up to its end of the bargain. So I refuse to live under their rules.

You best take your copy of the Magna Carta with you to avoid a fine

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CelestialScribe posted:

1. The vast majority of cops do not ask that and 2. I don’t give a poo poo about going to a restaurant

The boot licking in this thread is insane. When the 5km limit is listed on Sunday the back flipping will be crazy.

Why don’t they ask when you just said all they care about is fining people?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tommunist posted:

I dont get mask avoidance. Its a literally the easiest thing in the world to comply with. Annecidotal but im seeing similar things when im out walking - lots of people with it down around their neck.

Wearing a mask protects other people ergo gently caress you

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Drone strike anyone going over 40km/h

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Sulla Faex posted:

chaz: gently caress off, we're full

wazza: fully sick mate

chaz: eyyy

wazza: eyyyyy

Wish they’d put a firewall around those kiwis

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I don’t think there’s anyone in Victoria that is clamouring for open borders to WA that is remotely worth listening to. It’s all federal scrunts

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

GoldStandardConure posted:

There are a few people caught interstate who cannot return to WA, and even more overseas who are caught between WAs hard border and their visas running out and being threatened with detention.

Okay so it’s west Australians doing the whinging then not victorians

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

GoldStandardConure posted:

this thread has a lot of victorians whinging about everything

CelestialScribenburg May be from Victoria but he isn’t for Victoria

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

There is a reason the most effective attack on refugees here is “queue jumpers”

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

imagine the loving vice the gambling industry has on the premier's balls to get him to announce this bullshit.

Absolutely pathetic, should have told them to gently caress off they can go murder their horses interstate like the AFL did.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If you’re voluntarily topping up your super at 30 you’re showing a quite frankly reckless level of confidence that society will exist in any recognisable form in 35 years time imho

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Senor Tron posted:

40+ years, no way retirement age will be 65 in 2055.

Yeah good point

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol the loving DEA said that platoon of Australians were too hosed up to work with, Jesus

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hmm, so they’re saying you shouldn’t let the pandemic be used as an excuse to paper over the many failings of a multi-term government :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015