Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Karvelas asked if this is an appropriate tactic to take at this time as the NSW government is still working to control the Covid-19 pandemic and has been called, by former Coalition leaders, the best government in Australia.

Joyce:

What does that have to do with koalas?

Karvelas:

Quite a lot! I will help you out. Obviously there is a crisis going on. Is blowing up the government during one of the biggest crises we have seen in this country appropriate, good timing?

Joyce:

No! They are blowing up their own government because they had ample warning to deal with this issue, ample ... This issue has been under the surface; they have known all about it, and now they say this is a big surprise. The only big surprise is that you didn’t deal with this way back, and the only big surprise, don’t worry about the Nationals, keep pushing and pushing and bluffing, they will always fold.

I am glad they are not folding. No, you are not treating us with respect. You think we have to fold because we have to, when you put a guilt trip, be the best government. The best government would have dealt with this a long time ago, and the best government would have realised it should not have come to this point, and the best government would have brought into the room (planning) minister Rob Stokes and said, ‘Mate, forget it, drop the idea, stop it, it will cause more harm than it is worth.’ That is what the best government would have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/clive-palmer-party-candidate-tony-pecora/

quote:

Police allege that a former candidate for Clive Palmer’s United Australia party has used a fake Facebook page to organise anti-lockdown protests, which makes for one huge yikes of a sentence.
Tony Pecora, 43, who was allegedly operating under the alias of ‘Arkwell Tripelligo‘, has been charged with organising the event ‘Melbourne Walk For Freedom’, the Melbourne Magistrates Court heard on Friday.
The anti-lockdown protest was scheduled to run on Saturday in the Royal Botanic Gardens, with more than 1,500 people indicating they were going. Current rules in Victoria state that no more than two people can meet up in public.
Supposedly the man has some pretty wild beliefs, including one he apparently told the police, that COVID-19 is a “genetically engineered virus created by world banks to kill off weaker humans,” which is more than just a spicy take.
According to Detective Acting Senior Sergeant David Schaefer, Pecora also claimed to be a “combatant in the game of geopolitical chess” and “called on (his supporters) to remain united against the forces of darkness and demanded that the Victorian Premier be arrested for treasonous activities”

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

It's what gets you clicks on Twitter and Instragram I guess. Most of their articles are about reality TV or the latest chocolate bar

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

If Bill Shorten had only bent the knee to Andy Meddick of the Animal Welfare league in 2019 we'd have dental by now

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-at-blm-protest

quote:

Queensland police have said they are “making enquiries” after an officer was photographed allegedly wearing a patch associated with far-right extremism at a Black Lives Matter protest on Friday.
Photographs circulating on social media showed an Australian police officer wearing a patch depicting the US flag bisected diagonally with a blue line. It appears very similar to popular variations of the “thin blue line” flag used by extreme rightwing groups in the US.
This symbol's difficult to mow into a lawn, so if you think about it he was forced to wear the patch, really

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-high-tech-help

quote:

Australian firefighting agencies would have the technology and capability to identify and extinguish every dangerous bushfire within an hour, anywhere on the continent, by the end of 2025, under an audacious plan to be launched in Canberra.
The philanthropic foundation of mining billionaire Andrew Forrest will on Tuesday unveil its so-called Fire Shield plan that hopes to bring governments, science agencies, big business, communities and firefighting authorities together to deliver the goal.
Using rapidly emerging technology including on-ground cameras, low-orbit satellites and data on conditions in flammable areas, the plan is being spruiked as the bushfire equivalent of the Apollo moon missions of the 1960s.

Automated monitoring cameras, drones, low-orbit satellites, artificial intelligence and machine learning are among the technologies that will be brought together.
Turner said the project had already built a tool that had assessed every local government area for bushfire risks. Other modelling work would be used to predict where dangerous fires could occur and then deploy firefighting planes and helicopters in advance.
“We absolutely recognise and believe the role of climate change in driving more severe and more frequent natural disasters,” the chief executive said. “We do feel the urgency. As a consequence of that we need to focus this program in the first instance on lifting resilience and recognising these events will happen.
stop knocking trees down imo

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I mean thank God we've got Twiggy to tell us maybe we should assess areas for bushfire risk and deploy resources appropriately, since last year every single engine, aircraft, hose and bucket in the country was stationed in the Sydney CBD

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Machine learning and artificial intelligence are all very well and good but what I'm really excited about is if they can get bushfires on the block chain

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

quote:

Australians on JobSeeker would still be able to receive the unemployment benefit while also earning money harvesting crops and working on farms, under a bold recommendation by a Government-dominated parliamentary inquiry.

An interim report by the inquiry into the Working Holiday Maker (WHM) Program has also recommended that HECS and HELP fees for university courses be discounted for students who work in regional areas and that a one-off government payment be established to cover travel and accommodation costs for workers that move to regional and remote areas.

The inquiry recommended that for the next year "workers stay on JobSeeker payments while undertaking low-paid agricultural and horticultural work", but did not specify how much money Centrelink recipients could earn, or the tasks they could be employed to do.

One of the other recommendations from the inquiry was a one-off Government payment to help workers meet travel and accommodation costs "after a certain period of time working in regional, rural, remote areas".
This follows a proposal by industry group the Australian Fresh Produce Alliance that a $1,200 relocation support payment for workers, and a $1,200 induction support payment for businesses, be paid retrospectively after three months of work is completed.
What if we trap more people on farms, in bikinis

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Government to offer conditional working migration to Australia for Pacific Islanders losing their homes to sea level rise

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...boriginal-sites

quote:

Fortescue Metals Group, the mining company owned by Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest, has angered shareholder activists by rejecting their resolution for a moratorium on the desecration of Aboriginal heritage sites – on the basis that the physical copy of the documents it was printed on arrived too late to be considered at the annual general meeting.
The Australasian Centre for Corporate Responsibility (ACCR) said the documents were late due to a Covid-related courier delay but electronic copies had already been filed.
Twiggy's determined to blow up black people's stuff

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/17/qantas-pushes-for-open-borders-with-full-page-ads-in-australian-newspapers

quote:

Qantas appears to have teamed up with several Australian newspapers to increase pressure on states to open borders, with the airline taking out full-page ads in a number of dailies.

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce told ABC radio a number of major media players have supported the campaign.
“Some of our media partners have donated that space for us in the major newspapers – the Nine newspapers and News Corp newspapers,” he said.
“Our petition so far has gotten 17,000 signatures just from our employees. We are going to send it to millions of our frequent flyers.”

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

16. Which of these statements best demonstrates Australian values about freedom of expression?
b. People with different views from me need to keep quiet

You're not saying anything, Tony

17. Should people in Australia make an effort to learn English?
b. There is no expectation to learn any particular language in Australia

G'day kids how are you bonjour Antoine from Australie

18. In Australia, can you encourage violence against a person or group of people if you have been insulted?
a. Yes, if you do not intend to carry out the violence

I'm going to shirtfront Mister Putin, you bet you are

19. Should people tolerate one another where they find that they disagree?
b. No, people only need to treat each other with respect if they agree with one another

That's bullshit

20. Which of the following is an example of contributing to the Australian community?
b. I should not make any effort to get to know other people

I've never seen anything like this before

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Ah but he sounded so unhappy when he said he had to leave ten

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

That cartoonist's drawing for a website that's writing on conspiracy theories. Anti-vaccine, high speed rail, 5G, Bill Gates, microchips, climate change. All the major media are in on it except Sky News. But he's got these anti-authority cartoons, he's like an Australian Garrison

e: Ah but I briefly forgot all the Victorian police are Labor stormtroopers now

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

It's not like Barilaro's poo poo compelled racism but. in retrospect maybe being a public fuckhead was a poor idea

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

if you trap someone in a small room while they're unwell then decline to address their basic needs until they are dead, it's really easy to claim it was an accident later

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/sep/23/coalition-to-announce-35bn-nbn-upgrade-to-roll-out-fibre-deeper-and-closer-to-homes

quote:

Australia’s national broadband network will roll out fibre “deeper and closer to homes and businesses” under a $3.5bn upgrade package to be announced on Wednesday.
The federal communications minister, Paul Fletcher, will use an address to the National Press Club to defend the Coalition’s approach of “committing to more fibre when it makes economic sense to do so”.

“The upgrade will reuse the new fibre built as part of the fibre-to-the-node rollout, and extend it further into the suburbs,” he will say, according to speech extracts.
“This plan is possible because NBN Co has now proved its business model and is generating substantial and growing cashflows – in turn allowing it to borrow in the private debt markets.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-23/foxtel-benefited-from-fast-tracked-federal-government-funds/12690954

quote:

After a Federal Government support package snubbed Foxtel and rewarded some of its rivals, Communications Department staff helped fast-track $17.5 million in taxpayer funds for the company, expediting normal Federal Cabinet processes for approval.
Hundreds of pages of documents from the offices of the Prime Minister, Communications Minister and Foxtel — including personal emails, letters and cabinet submissions obtained through the Freedom of Information (FOI) process — reveal the speed with which the broadcaster was awarded a $10 million extension to an existing $30 million contract.
Neither payment made to the company, which is majority owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation (65 per cent) and part-owned by Telstra (35 per cent), were ever put out to any form of competitive tender.
Even after the grant was rushed through Cabinet within weeks, a ministerial brief warned Communications Minister Paul Fletcher that Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany may not be satisfied.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/sep/23/nsw-government-plan-to-legalise-floodplain-water-harvesting-defeated-in-parliament

quote:

A crucial law that would have legalised floodplain harvesting in New South Wales while the government devises a comprehensive licensing scheme has been disallowed, leaving the status of the practice in limbo.
In a rare defeat for the NSW government, Labor, the Greens, independents, Shooters, Fishers and Farmers, the Animal Justice party and One Nation joined forces in the upper house last night to defeat the regulation, which would have allowed “passive take” of floodwaters.

When your plan to legalise massive water theft is a little too blatant

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Why was Harold a giraffe instead of a platypus or something. I had Harold confused with the toys r us giraffe, I thought they were the same guy

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/sep/26/one-nation-paid-500000-to-company-behind-billion-dollar-development-in-queensland

quote:

Pauline Hanson’s One Nation made a mystery $500,000 payment to troubled investment company Mayfair Platinum, responsible for a now-stalled billion-dollar redevelopment of Mission Beach in Queensland.
The “party payment” was made in the first six months of 2020 and disclosed to the Electoral Commission of Queensland by Hanson on behalf of the Queensland division of her party.
One Nation has angrily rejected claims the party could be left out of pocket due to a series of liquidations within the corporate group – but refused to explain the purpose of the $500,000 payment and whether any of the money has been repaid.
Mayfair Platinum is part of the troubled Mayfair 101 group, which suspended investors’ rights to redeem some investments in March and is being sued by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission.
Asic has accused director James Mawhinney of misleading investors in Mayfair 101, which has raised at least $140m from the public, by claiming some of its offerings were similar in safety to a bank term deposit.
Mawhinney has also been accused in court of transferring potentially valuable assets away from the grip of investors and to a company in the British Virgin Islands, 101 Investments, of which he is the ultimate owner.

Guardian Australia contacted Hanson to ask about the $500,000 payment and whether the Pauline Hanson’s One Nation Queensland division could be left out of pocket.
Hanson’s chief of staff, James Ashby, replied that the claims were “completely untrue”, adding that “gutter trash theories” were a “waste of [his] time”.
Ashby declined to answer follow-up questions to explain the purpose of the $500,000 payment his own party leader declared and whether the money had been paid back.

Did One Nation get scammed out of half a million?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-28/queensland-police-appeals-detective-neil-punchard-sentence/12711306

quote:

The Queensland Police Service (QPS) will appeal the sentencing of an officer who leaked the home address of his friend's ex-wife from the QPS database.
Senior Constable Neil Punchard was sentenced to two months jail — wholly suspended for 18 months — last year, after he pleaded guilty to nine counts of computer hacking.
In 2014, Punchard used confidential police databases to find the address of his friend's ex-wife who had an ongoing domestic violence order against him.
His friend's former partner said she was forced to move after the information was leaked.
Punchard appealed the two-month sentence on September 1, arguing it was excessive, and won.
The court re-sentenced him to 140 hours of community service with no conviction recorded.
QPS today announced it had sought leave to appeal the recent District Court judgement.
In a statement, QPS said the decision to appeal Punchard's new sentence was reached after "careful consideration of the judgement and independent legal advice".
Punchard is currently stood down on full pay.
Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll said she will consider his suitability to remain employed by QPS after the appeal process is finalised.
When the article says QPS is appealing, does it mean QPS is seeking a harsher or softer sentence?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-29/allegations-over-nt-program-troubled-youth-allan-brahminy/12646034

quote:

He claims he was abandoned on a riverbank as a baby by his biological mother and adopted by an Indigenous family which named him Brahminy — meaning wild and free.
It's the story Allan Brahminy's program for troubled kids was based around, and for more than a decade he has been looking after children — many of whom are Indigenous — receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars from state governments.
But Mr Brahminy's biological family, former military colleagues, ex-wife and former partner claim he is not who he says he is.
White dude abandoned his family and made up a story about being raised Indigenous. Now Tasmania's sending kids up to the NT to be abused in his youth program. His abandoned kid got to see him in a doco about what great things he's doing for other children

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-leste-spy-case

quote:

Government lawyers have invoked cabinet confidence in an attempt to stop Bernard Collaery and his team from viewing a briefing to the prime minister relevant to the Timor-Leste spying case.

Inside, an argument was heard over Collaery’s attempt to obtain five documents – all briefings to departmental secretaries and ministers – from the Australian government. Little detail was given in open court about the nature of the internal government briefings Collaery is seeking including when they were written.
One of the documents is a briefing to the prime minister ahead of a meeting of the powerful national security committee of cabinet.

But Collaery’s barrister, Christopher Ward SC, said the documents were clearly removed from cabinet deliberations and were needed for the proper administration of justice. “They are a very long way removed … from the deliberations of cabinet,” he said.
Some were merely background briefings for departmental secretaries ahead of meetings with other departmental secretaries, Ward argued.
The fact that similar issues were later discussed in cabinet meetings did not mean the briefings suddenly revealed cabinet deliberations.
“Nothing that is sought is a declaration that does directly reveal cabinet deliberations,” Collaery’s barrister said. “Not one of these documents are cabinet documents in the classic sense of the word.”

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.gofundme.com/f/73xau-community-action-for-rainbow-rights-fighting-fund

Here's an action fund

quote:

CARR asks supporters to donate generously to the fighting fund which will allow us to continue to fight bigots such as Mark Latham, and help us fight the fines attendees have received. All proceeds will be put toward expenses related to our COVID-safe practices at the demonstration on the 10 Oct, other protest materials, and funding legal challenges to fines.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for September:

die, dying, death, dead, deaths, ghoul, september was scary :ohdear:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Knobb Manwich posted:

Peep those graph numbers. Almost 20% rise this year that climate change impacts are happening right now.

I'm stunned that in 2013 only 20% of Australians believed in climate change

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Kevin Rudd’s Bangladeshi ‘bots’ in media royal commission petition

An official investigation will scrutinise Kevin Rudd’s petition calling for a media royal commission after it emerged that more than 1000 names were fake, and some of the signatories were paid for and generated overseas.

The Australian can reveal foreign interference in the petition, which targets publicly listed companies News Corp Australia and Nine Entertainment, and prompted a Greens-led Senate inquiry into media diversity.

An investigation by The Australian into the petition, which Mr Rudd instigated as an attack on News Corp, has also revealed the document is littered with fake and absurd names, including “Nacho cheese”, “Jesus Christ” and “this sucks”. Many of those were generated offshore, easily sidestepping parliamentary measures set up to prevent fraud.

A world-renowned cyber security expert said signatories included “computer-generated bots”. He said a full digital audit was required to determine the extent of fraudulent activity in the parliamentary e-petition system.

Ken O’Dowd, the House of Representatives’ petitions committee chairman, said his committee would investigate the fake signatories in the petition.

The Australian can reveal a Bangladeshi man was paid $58 by a whistleblower — who wanted to test the vulnerabilities of parliament’s e-petition system — to generate 1000 fake signatories in less than 12 hours. Those signing petitions are required to be Australian citizen or residents.

Documents obtained by The Australian confirm a Melbourne-based blogger paid a cybersecurity specialist — who initially claimed to be in China but was later found to be living in Bangladesh — to organise the fake signatures.

The Australian has obtained the online job request, the bank transfer for the job, the 1000 computer-generated email addresses and the corresponding 1000 fake petition names, with a receipt and reference number for each fake signatory.

The cybersecurity expert, whose LinkedIn profile shows he works in IT for a Bangladesh business, said he was paid to organise 1000 signatories to the petition.

The individual, who spoke to The Australian on the condition of anonymity, detailed in writing how he bypassed the Australian government’s petition system.

“Yes, I genarate (sic) 1000 mail and sign the Australian parliamentary petition,” he said.

“This is computer-generated. I use Australian VPN for bypass.”

The fake names attached to the computer-generated email addresses — including “austin austin”, “devin devin”, “steffan steffan” and “Xavi xavi” — were confirmed to be on the petition after a search of House of Representatives Table Office records.

Other names include “mushfik mushfik”, “bruno bruno”, “parisa parisa” and “xekel xekel”, the Table Office and documents reviewed by The Australian show.

Aside from those signatures, there are hundreds of other fake signatories to the petition.

The petition includes a variety of fake names including “Rupert Murdoch”, “General Justice” and “Bette Midler known for Wind Beneath My Wings”.

“Scott Morrison” and “Anthony Albanese” also appear on the petition, but spokesmen for both the Prime Minister and the Opposition Leader deny either had signed it.

Mr Rudd — dumped by his party within his first term — has promoted his petition on Twitter, Guardian Australia and the ABC.

He was supported by another former prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, who was also overthrown by his party while in office.

Both men, who led coups against their own colleagues to seize power, were also victims of internal political revenge but blame News Corp Australia newspapers for losing office.

News Corp Australia is the publisher of The Australian.

The petition has been used by Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young to justify calling an inquiry into media diversity.

The push — the fourth-highest number among parliamentary petitions after campaigns to fund community pharmacies, place a higher tax on beer and address healthcare funding — ostensibly attracted 501,876 signatures.

Nicholas Smith, who runs a podcast called The Turncoat, said he paid an overseas freelancer to “sign” the petition hundreds of times in order to “demonstrate to you how easy it is to manipulate our own government’s website”.

“What I have a problem with is the government petition website and how easy it is to manipulate with huge advantages,” he said.

“For one, the free press but two, it’s caused a Senate inquiry into the media.

“It’s having an influence on decision-making within our parliament.

“There should at least be a mobile verification process if they want us to take this petition seriously — there needs to be more than an email verification process.”

Mr Smith posted the job to collect names for the petition on a freelance website with the subject “data extraction”.

“I need minimum two persons for an online data collection task,” the advertisement read.

Bank transfer records from the website show that $52.89 was transferred to two different freelancers at 11.52pm on October 26, 2020.

One freelancer, named Yao L — based in Beijing — did not complete the job.

The second freelancer, based in Bangladesh, did.

Robert Potter, who is a highly regarded cybersecurity expert and the co-founder of Internet 2.0, did an initial analysis of the petition in the Table Office and analysed the 1000 emails paid for by Mr Smith.

His conclusion is that fake and computer-generated bots were among signatories to the petition.

“Yes, there are signatories to the petition that I would assess with a high degree of confidence are computer-generated bots,” Mr Potter, who has worked for both the US and Australian governments, said.

“The single name email followed by random numbers is a sign of bot activity through automatic registration.”

Mr Potter concluded that the spam protection system within the parliamentary petition platform does not require any form of evidence that the person ¬registering is an Australian resident or citizen. “The system does not geoblock foreign IP addresses at the registration page,” Mr Potter said.

“The system doesn’t seem to require any demonstrable proof the person is Australian.”

He also said the breach had exposed an “avenue for foreign interference in our parliamentary petition system”.

“This is small-scale influence operation from a foreign party working under the direction of an Australian,” he said.

“I think an evaluation of the technical controls is called for, at the very least, to see what controls sit around the petition system and to see how they might be strengthened.

“The system for managing petitions is the vulnerability, not necessarily the single petition. This could have impacted on a number of petitions.”

The Department of the House of Representatives standing committee on petitions secretariat -notified committee members on Friday of the fake signatories following questions lodged by The Australian.

Mr O’Dowd, a National Party MP who chairs the committee, said: “It will be investigated by my committee and we will take further action if required.”

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Kevin Rudd and Malcolm Turnbull want to call in bot cops

Former prime ministers Kevin Rudd and Malcolm Turnbull have signalled they want the Australian Federal Police to investigate how their petition calling for a royal commission into the media was infiltrated by more than 1000 overseas computer-generated bots.

Kevin Rudd may have to register as ‘an agent of foreign influence’

Kevin Rudd is likely to be urged by federal officials to register as an agent of foreign influence because of his vast overseas connections and ongoing involvement in international relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

When I moved to Melbourne, it had 2.8 million people, and that already seemed plenty.
But our politicians, addicted to macho-growth, doubled it to more than five million.

Victoria needs a state govt bonk ban good lord