Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I saw that article in my feeds earlier. Good to see it got even shittier after I stopped reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Wait, the conspiracies history article? What’s your problem with it?

Meant the ABC one.

The article about the Right using conspiracy theories to recruit people was good and relevant.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Someone deepfaked the Simpsons over lovely politicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhCyKQTnQg

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Knobb Manwich posted:

Sydney taxi driver worked 8 days while infectious, holy poo poo.

Hello new epicentre.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Brisbane watch house officer suspended over the death of Indigenous woman Aunty Sherry Tilberoo

quote:

A Queensland watch house officer has been suspended following an investigation into the recent death of an Indigenous woman in custody.

Aunty Sherry Tilberoo, 49, was found dead in her cell at the Brisbane watch house on September 10.

Assistant Commissioner Codd said advice from the coroner remains that Ms Tilberoo died of natural causes.

"Natural causes" for an Aboriginal death in custody in this country still includes hanging yourself with your hands tied behind your back and spontaneous heart attacks with associated boot shaped bruising on the chest.

But actually seeing a cop being even slightly inconvenienced for allowing an indigenous woman to die is progress.

quote:

Assistant Commissioner Codd said the suspended person was not a sworn police officer, but rather an assistant watch house officer employed under a different regime.

Ah. I wonder if their official job description is "designated sacrificial lamb".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

freebooter posted:

Alleging that Tilberoo's death was a covered-up murder is not helpful.

Yes, because Aboriginal people have such a connection to the land that being severed from it by being placed in a concrete cell can cause them to wither and die. This is why so many die in custody each year. Definitely that and not from either neglect or active malevolence.

Or, the cops heard her crying for help and made sure their little patsy did nothing to help her because they're racist loving monsters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
What benefits does "independence" bring us?

On the other hand, we'd have to put with endless TV specials every year with self congratulating celebs* recounting where they were when Australia vote England off the island.

* Like loving Steve Vizard.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I still think the risk of Steve Vizard returning to TV is simply too great.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

bandaid.friend posted:

Why was Harold a giraffe instead of a platypus or something.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Anidav posted:

The boss of Australia's oldest union is warning Labor will kill off blue-collar jobs and any chance of winning government if it does not wholeheartedly embrace gas to properly transition to a low-emissions economy.

WAKE ME UP INSIDE

Jokes on them. Labor is more than happy to kill off blue-collar jobs.

"Maybe now Liberal voters will vote for us instead." :ohdear:

Narrator: They won't.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

GotLag posted:

Yeah, and that excuse not getting called out is infuriating because it would be such a loving slam dunk for any reporter worth a drat.

But then they'd lost access.

And that's vastly more important to reporters than something as meaningless as the truth. Don't get paid for the truth.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Get it quick before it's gone:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Alan Jones' replacement on 2GB isn't having a good day, either.

***NWS***

EDIT: Embedded tweet mercifully doesn't show the schad. Click for schad. Unless you're at work.

https://twitter.com/realJimmyE/status/1312006006294024192

:nws:Image reuploaded here in case the tweet is deleted:nws:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Watching the breakdown of the new covid tax cuts.

Sure is nice that the people making the most money will be getting the most help. That makes perfect sense.

Meanwhile, it looks like those on the subsistence payments won't be seeing poo poo because they won't be bringing in more that $40k, which is the cut-off.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Well, you'll love this then:

High-income earners to reap 88% of Coalition's tax cuts by 2021-22

quote:

The Australia Institute’s analysis found that in 2020-21, 41% of the government’s tax plan will go to the top 20% of income earners, who earn about $102,000. The bottom 20% of taxpayers receive only 4%.

In 2021-22, 88% of the government’s tax plan will go to the top 20% of income earners. The bottom 20% get nothing, the thinktank found.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

CelestialScribe posted:

Let's just shut up and endure the worst loving lockdown in the world right now.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1302611893689835522

Melbourne will have to endure a 112 day lockdown for 661 deaths - which is terrible and a sign of how badly they are handing things - while Italy had a mere 58 days of lockdown and 35,524 deaths and even London had just 104 days of lockdown and 41,549 people die. Obviously the Labor government are nazis and in the pockets of big lockdown.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I was talking with a friend who works at a servo and they're seeing about 50 customers a day without masks. Or with them pulled under their chin. Or people who walk into the store and then remove their masks.

"Oh I left it in the car" and then doesn't go back for it is apparently the most common excuse they hear.

He was telling me that other sites he knows of are pretty much the same, about 10% of customers just aren't giving a poo poo anymore. The staff at those sites are noting down the number of people without masks to try and take those numbers to their bosses because the rule to not say anything is still in place because the companies don't want to upset customers and make $$$ go down.

And this is outside the metro area in Victoria where the restrictions are incredibly light. It's loving ridiculous.

Some people seem utterly incapable of thinking of anyone except themselves or of anything beyond the immediate moment, no matter what it will cost down the line.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Do radar detectors even work in Australia? I thought most cops and camera cars use lasers and fixed cameras use piezoelectrics.

EDIT: Okay, going to the Vic speedcamera operator sites says that some fixed cameras do use radar.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

hambeet posted:

nah i'm in regional vic, we're doing pretty well. i just don't want metro people infecting us again.

Just wait until tonight when restrictions ease.

People should still be staying at home as much as possible, but you know there's going to be a loving tsunami of CelestialScribe's pouring out in every direction, just making GBS threads their pants at the opportunity to drive huge distances and lick doorknobs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Comstar posted:

Wait, what? Rich people are avoiding paying tax so we should lower their tax rate so they don’t pay tax? What?

But if we raise taxes on corporations and the rich they might just go overseas and not pay taxes there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Knobb Manwich posted:

Jobseeker is getting extended past Christmas to March, but at a lower rate again. $100/fn, down from $250/fn, down from $550/fn.

Hmm $40 a day is not enough to live on... What about $47 dollars a day?

Wouldn't it be great if we could trust out fellow citizens to use their experience receiving sub-poverty payouts to vote the LNP out en masse at the next elections and force a massive increase in payouts so that they're finally at a liveable level.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/Milliganreports/status/1326472879613992962

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Doesn't change that one of the ousted council members was on TV on Monday calling out sexism

E: Does fly in the face of the "changing... back" part.

Yeah, that's what was concerning to me when I saw it.

It's definitely good to see more female representation in such a traditionally male dominated profession, but tossing out a member who just stood up to the AG is not a good look.

Also, in the next tweet:

https://twitter.com/Milliganreports/status/1326474062697123842

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
"Hey I was sick and working food prep"

Even if they didn't know they were sick, they're probably terrified of ending up on the front page of every newspaper as the new Typhoid Mary.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

hambeet posted:

Masks are great and even in a post covid world I hope they become commonplace during flu season.

This is probably the first year of my life that I have not had a respiratory ailment of any sort. It’s pretty good.

I also really enjoyed not getting sick in any way over winter for probably the first time in my adult life :hf:

What we also need, beyond the normalisation of mask wearing, is to change the culture of "soldiering on" when sick with over the counter drugs which alleviate symptoms but don't do anything about how infectious you are and _especially_ employers who say, "Are you really that sick? Are you sure you can't come in anyway?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
My sympathies go to the staff who still have to wear masks 8 hours a day.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And in news which comes as a surprise to literally no one:

Fair Work Commission could allow agreements which make some workers worse off

quote:

Industrial Relations Minister Christian Porter will unveil legislation on Wednesday designed to overhaul the nation's workplace laws in a bid to stem job losses and grow employment during the pandemic-induced recession.

Mr Porter argues the "broken" enterprise bargaining system has been "slowly choked by increased technicality, complexity and regulation".

He said the proposed changes would help save jobs by giving businesses in financial distress flexibility while they recover.

"What these reforms do is not only respond to known problems in the system, but acknowledge that we've gone through something extraordinary and some businesses need help to stay afloat."

Yes, by loving over minimum wage staff who are struggling to survive.

Now we wait to watch Labor back the changes 100%.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

hambeet posted:

"Victoria is a secular state. If equality is difficult for you, then that is on you. That is your issue and your problem.”

Nice to see a bit of good news for a change.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Imagine if the Dandy man and all the other premiers hadn't told Scotty from Marketing to gently caress off?

Everyone screwed up the start of the pandemic. Nothing like it had ever happened before in living memory. In a "just in time" economy, where the assumption that nothing will ever go wrong, ruled every layer of business and politics, people making incredibly stupid decisions was as inevitable as it was tragic.

I judge our leaders by what they did after.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 12, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Totally responsible reporting from the mainstream media, as usual.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-update

quote:

As of 12 December 2020, Victoria has recorded five internationally acquired cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) diagnosed in people currently in hotel quarantine.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I like the "By Anonymous" byline.

Such fearless reporting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The nazis said 'mein fuhrer!" yet the LNP is all about keeping the mines open.

Makes you think.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Allstone posted:

From trials in eg. Portugal, the evidence points to the need to provide for economic and material needs. If you're unwilling to do that, framing addiction as a personal and moral failure is how you hide the fact that it's a systemic and cultural one.

E: In summary, conservatives will attempt to block evidence-based drug abuse treatment, because it raises serious questions about the status-quo. Similar thing with a lot of other currently treatment-resistant mental health problems.

There was a study done a couple decades ago on Vietnam Vets and drug use.

Drug use in the Vietnam war was infamously widespread, with all the cornbred boys getting into dope and heroin and whatever else they could get a hold of to try and get through the nightmare of war.

But, what interested the researchers was what happened when these people returned home again. Conventional wisdom was that they would all keep using drugs and spiral out of control. And, in some specific cases, that's what they saw. But only when the soldiers had no solid network of family, friends and employment surrounding them.

Those who had such things almost universally stopped using drugs entirely. The conclusion was that with the stability and support of family and friends and a steady decent paying job, the soldiers no longer felt the need to use drugs to keep themselves sane.

And the conclusion from that is that the best drug treatment is supporting people and meeting their emotional and financial needs while dealing with whatever trauma threw them into addiction in the first place.

But, as we all know, punishment and cruelty rule the day in politics and anyone who dared stray from the "tough on crime" rhetoric would be quickly voted out of their job.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I have had so many angry conversations with people I know defending the signs you now see everywhere on public holidays telling customers that they will be paying 15% more because of holiday loading.

Like those loving businesses aren't making enough on every other day of the year to cover the costs.

And now even the minimum wage is too much to pay.

Tommunist posted:

Coal is a more patriotic industry

Coal spends millions courting politicians and gives them lucrative board/lobbying positions for life when they leave parliament.

People who pick fruit will never be able to compete.

Hell, the tourism industry is watching the Great Barrier Reef die in front of their eyes and, with it, a huge chunk of their future. All while our 'leaders' do nothing because, although tourism is a huge industry, individually they're very small. Unlike mines.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 17, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Homora Gaykemi posted:

super cool to see someone in one of the biggest papers in the country describing affirming care for trans kids this way

You can be black or gay or even a woman (gasp!) and right wingers are forced to pretend to tolerate your existence.

But a transgender person? Not a new target for bigots by any means, but now there are fewer distractions for them. And for all those who never even thought about it until bullshit articles like this? Well, now they get an all shiny and new hatred to keep them warm.

Wish we could speedrun this poo poo with all the stuff we've learned every other goddamn time to a point where people can just live their drat lives.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Because not every politician is the Dandyman.

Many care more about what the headlines would be in the Murdoch press than doing what's needed to be done right at the edge of Christmas and New Years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The future of coal, mistah speakah!

https://twitter.com/billmckibben/status/1339976383712423937

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Toilet paper is selling out again lol

Yeah man, I remember when toilet paper used to be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'd say it's that people know chloroform as a serious medicine, a "knockout drug" which they don't want to be giving to their children in any amounts.

Another potential reason is that people are sick of companies lying to them about the presence of potentially dangerous substances, even in trace amounts.

Johnson and Johnson springs to mind with decades worth of lies and deception over asbestos in their baby powder.