Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Remember when Morrison was against asylum seekers being able to go to a funeral?

Apparently they must be more dangerous than Coronavirus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

So the epidemiologist said one in a million, based on 5 cases (a day, presumably)...the AFR then compares that to the chance of getting struck by lightning which it claims is one in 12,000, meaning there should be 416 people struck by lightning every day in Melbourne?

Like, I’m not convinced by the necessity of masks with no community transmission, but comparing a chance of something happening daily to the chance of something happening over your lifetime is pathetic journalism.

The lightning analogy only really works if there was a thunderstorm going on, hundreds of people had been getting struck by lightning every day, and the government had instituted a massive program to keep people indoors and put lightning rods on as many buildings as possible.

Masks clearly don't help if there are no cases out untraced in the community since there is no spread to stop. However as we have seen it can be quick for undetected cases to spread and the purpose of measures like masks would be to open things back up in the knowledge that any future outbreaks will have a slower spread and be more traceable.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lambie is apparently voting against the refugee phone ban legislation.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

MSM is certainly good at writing articles saying IR reform is coming but not telling us what Morrison is planning after his 'meetings with business and unions broke down'

Workchoices on steroids, and there won't be anywhere near the backlash. First time round a lot of the pushback was because the economy was good and people rightly saw it as an ideological overstep. This time the government and media will just say how it's necessary for recovery and enough people will buy it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MythLisp posted:

Approximately 100% of the reactions are angry ones.

Looks like the Central Alliance have poo poo the bed like the Democrats did with the GST.

I thought this might be an exaggeration, but...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Maybe the abc didn't get the memo.

Hmm, yes, this will stimulate the economy well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cormann is retiring from the senate to be nominated by Morrison as OECD Secretary-General.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hey Google what is "tragedy of the commons".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Senator Jacqui Lambie has warned Prime Minister Scott Morrison she will reveal the details of a secret deal made in order to win her support for the repeal of the so-called medevac law if he does not do so himself by the end of the year.

We'll see.

On the one hand she's been doing some good stuff lately, and anything that shames Morrison is good.

On the much bigger other hand, gently caress her and everyone else who voted to repeal that law.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

This is a pretty reductive analysis. Again, what you're reducing this argument down to is, "there is absolutely no reason to break these restrictions". Which, as we've already discussed, is bullshit. If you're willing to condemn the protestors in May/June as doing the same thing - then I'm happy to accept your view here. If you're not, then you're just being disingenuous.

Hmm yes the systematic abuse and mistreatment of an entire sector of society costing peoples lives is the exact same thing as you liking to walk around a park.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This is your quadrennial token post about the ACT Election. You may now resume going about your day.

I was just watching ABC24 for a few minutes. Didn't realise the ACT had multiple member seats, wish more states would that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Really proud of all you Victorians. Outside the SkyNews/Newscorp/Coalition contaminated folk I know there are a lot of us around Australia really grateful for what you've done to bring those numbers down. If not for the last couple of months not only would you be swamped, but it's likely other states would have seen outbreaks as well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

dunno about anyone else but as a VIC this attitude is really annoying. no one needs your thanks.

Did I say thanks?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you’re voluntarily topping up your super at 30 you’re showing a quite frankly reckless level of confidence that society will exist in any recognisable form in 35 years time imho

40+ years, no way retirement age will be 65 in 2055.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

How the hell anyone in the larger cities are meant to save for retirement baffles me.

Living in Adelaide we were lucky to get a modest place that I'd be happy to stay in for the rest of my life. We'll try and get the mortgage paid off then have a couple of decades to save for retirement. I can't imagine how on Earth we'd do it if the mortgage was the 250k more we would have paid for something similar in Melbourne or Sydney.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Overseas accounts might be in trouble, but at least in Australia you can access and consolidate your super accounts through the ATO.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What the gently caress is this.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Day 2 of 0 for Victoria, you guys are smashing it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sierra Madre posted:

Accidentally achieving elimination, strangely enough, does seem like a plausible future. Or maybe I'd like to think it's plausible.

I'm crossing my fingers for this. The current low case levels and wide testing allow for strong contact tracing that means authorities can be on top of outbreaks as they happen. If that spread number can be kept below 1 then it's gonna burn itself out.

All that said, even in a state where it's been months without local transmission I'm still taking each day with the assumption it could be the last before we have to go back into lockdown.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sierra Madre posted:

Out of curiosity, and without judgement, do you mean that you've been enjoying the outside world as much as you can or just keeping quiet and only going out as little as possible? Because I get the former but I've been acting like the latter. I don't consider my caution a positive thing, especially since I'm increasingly worried we're a month out from a third wave with people just thinking it's this time last year but we're all in masks - and if I'm right, then why not go out while I still can?

Definitely the former, been going out more than I probably would have this time last year.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

I reckon we could maybe take Alaska. Hawaii if the Navy isn't there.

Went well the last time someone attacked Hawaii.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bolt continues to be broken brained:

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1324117321300942849?s=20

(it's real)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, there's plenty of legit issues to have with Tesla, but from a practical perspective the battery here in SA has way out-performed expectations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

It worked so well they just expanded it by 50%

And the unquestionable success quickly becoming apparent despite all the initial conservative opposition probably played a decent part in making the new SA Lib government realise that renewables were worth going all in on.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Did they make Caleb redundant?

Don't read much News Corp stuff anymore when I can avoid it, but still seem him walking around near the Adelaide Advertiser building a lot.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hambeet posted:

is the battery in SA private owned or state owned?

Privately owned and operated, but the state government put money into it's construction in return for having a portion of the battery capacity reserved for grid stability.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Knobb Manwich posted:

Jobseeker is getting extended past Christmas to March, but at a lower rate again. $100/fn, down from $250/fn, down from $550/fn.

Hmm $40 a day is not enough to live on... What about $47 dollars a day?

It's so hosed that it got cut in the first place, no way it would have been dropped if NSW had been in a Vic style lockdown.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Labor MP and resources spokesman Joel Fitzgibbon quits Shadow Cabinet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

iajanus posted:

Having less cars on the road (whatever their fuel) is a net positive so ramp up the tax on all of them so nobody can afford to drive them, and fund more public transport for all.

In some areas that could work, but the problem is that public transport tends to get worse the further you get from the centre of cities, which are also the areas that are cheaper to live and so get lower income people who are less able to pay the taxes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

We've got some cases popped up in SA, looks like it might be a hotel quarantine breach.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Breetai posted:

On a scale of 1 to Melbourne how hosed are we?

The fact that the first detection was in an elderly contact of someone working in a quarantine hotel is probably a good sign of it being caught relatively early, will be interesting to see if we end up locking down to avoid a Melb repeat.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Electric Wrigglies posted:

A little awkward a feeling if a correctional officer has covid, if it gets into a prison it could cause some carnage.

If you want to get depressed look up American prison stats, they've had a bunch ravaged by the virus.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

trunkh posted:

Marshall did surprised me by being non poo poo with his initial pandemic response, here's hoping he can suprise us again by being not poo poo around this.

Yeah.

Regardless, my work is already saying that we are gonna be going back to WFH for the moment.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

I have been watching these numbers like a hawk, well okay like a numbers obsessed nerd. All but three are people who have been trickling slowly back from overseas and are in quarantine. There's the one quarantine worker and the two people he infected. It isn't spreading out of control, that we know of, yet. It's going to come down to how well they can contact trace the infected non quarantined people's movements and it shouldn't be that hard considering there's only three of them.

Unfortunately not, most of today's cases were family members and close contacts.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

One new case in SA, that seems like good news

I don't have Vic numbers to watch each day so I'm watching SA numbers now

Very early days, but it is promising. Given how many in the family were infected for a few days I'm expecting to see more numbers come in, but the contact tracers seem to be doing fantastic work, we're getting regular updates on dozens of locations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

RichardA posted:

One of the contact tracing locations in SA has been upgraded from "must monitor for symptoms" to "self quarantine immediatly and seek testing".

I wondering if they have found a possible case of transmission there, hence the upgrade. Anyone with experience following contact tracing want to chime in? Not sure if I'm being reasonable or reading too much into it.

It's a swimming pool, have to imagine that change rooms there are about as risky as it can get for transmitting a virus like this.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah 24 hours to become infectious and many people not presenting any symptoms is about as bad as it gets for spread of a virus like this. In the press conference our CHO Nicola Spurrier talked about how they are now contact tracing the 5th/6th generation of potential infections.

Marshall mentioned that he's spoken to Morrison and his has full support, either they've realised the Vic approach was right or they're just gonna be blatant with supporting Lib state governments and opposing Labor ones.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/PMalinauskasMP/status/1328868129557004295?s=20

Even if things drag on here I think this sort of attitude alone should make things a little bit less stressful than the Victorian experience.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Whoa, no takeaway and no outdoor exercise? Full-on Spain/Italy lockdown? That's loving intense. Good on them, but I'm really (pleasantly) surprised they'd go this hard.

Yeah, if the spread was further along I suspect we would counter-intuitively have a less intense lockdown, it's actually reassured me that they think they have a reasonable chance of catching this spread while it's still traceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

wait wasnt he supposed to go into quarantine?

loving imagine if Morrison started an outbreak.

Also is the Federal Government still pushing that local eradication isn't a goal? Certainly feels like every state is holding that as a goal.