Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
its gonna depend how exactly the SSD failed. if the PCB is fried, the situation is likely hopeless

i haven't done this before, but look into the "power cycle method" or "power cycle trick"

the idea is to power your SSD from the power supply, but leave the SATA data cable unplugged, which supposedly triggers some recovery behavior in some SSDs after like 30 minutes :shrug:

pretty long shot, tbh. better plan for the worst :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I tried the power cycle trick. No real response. It's looking grim. The cruelest irony is that I literally cleaned up and organized the files and was in the process of backing up stuff literally two days ago.

Nothing was lost that I can't live without or compensate for, but some of the lost stuff does sting. Work I was doing for a non-profit was definitely gone, and some very sentimental stuff is now gone.

sucks OP

no harm in labeling and holding onto the SSD, in case data recovery is possible later on. i.e., dont throw it out.

might be worth talking to a data recovery lab to see how much it might cost to repair. i think its gonna be a lot though.