Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

In the Lost Kingdom of the Banana Blood God is a Zelda fangame made with the Zelda Classic game engine. It's created by some degenerates going by the name of "Moosh" and Russ". It's hosted on PureZC, the biggest fansite for Zelda Classic (or, as I'll be referring to it henceforth, "ZC") content. It's description on Pure describes it as "A goofy, script-heavy quest that started as a two week quest content entry. Play as two different characters and save the world from an ancient demon using the power of bananas". That description doesn't lie; it is a very goofy quest.

The majority of ZC content, as with all free game-making creations, is frankly garbage. However, there are quite a fair amount of content that stands out from the trashfire, whether through being good games, or through being so awful that they stand out from the mediocre awful. Thankfully, this quest (what ZC calls the games made in it) is the former; it is one of the gems that is quite fun to play. I hope to introduce you all to the wonderful world, both good and bad, that is Zelda Classic, and I thought it would be prudent to show some of the best this program has to offer before we get into some of the awful garbage that surrounds it. So, shall we get started?

Why you?

"Why me?" exactly. I am absolutely not qualified to Let's Play anything. I have a horrible track record with Let's Plays in a video format, and a text/screenshot format is almost certainly more effort. However, I do consider myself decently* skilled (with an extremely huge asterisk at the end of that) at ZC quests, and I've been in the community for almost 6 years. In that regard, I hope to at least entertain you in some fashion.

Screenshot LP?

Screenshot LP. I know action adventure games aren't the best suited for this type of format, but I'll do my best to make it entertaining for ya'll. ZC combat, for the most part, isn't really that complex (with some notable exceptions that we'll get to when we get to); showing off a screenshot of a room full of Zelda 1 blue darknuts should hopefully get the point across that the room I'm in is garbage. Besides, what you're really here for is the writing, scenarios, and pretty screens, and this quest has all three.

Spoiler Policy?

No spoilers. At all. I hope to show off everything this quest has, so if I don't show something off, assume that I haven't shown it off yet and I'll get to it in a future update. No "winkwinknudgenudge" spoilers. No "just wait until you see this part!" spoilers. And absolutely no direct spoilers, be they plot or gameplay spoilers. If you have to ask yourself if it's a spoiler, chances are it probably is. Just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Theorizing is fine though!

Where can I find this?
Right here! You'll need ZC to run the .qst file; there's plenty of tutorials out there for how to do this.

Updates

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Update moved to it's own test page to save on image loading. Click the image above to view it!

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 13, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This looks deliriously wack, and also really fun. Bookmarked.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:stare::hf::suspense:

This is... uh... Yeah. Bookmarked. I gotta see where this goes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm always up for more Zelda, so this deserves a bookmark. Looks interesting, and I'm glad that the game drops the enforced ice physics pretty quickly.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
You had me at 'ridiculous sliding puzzles to get around town to start.' :allears:

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
gently caress yeah, I'm totally in for this wild ride. Never heard of the editor either. That looks rad af.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I note that several of the houses have been built in such a way that if the occupants leave, they'll never be able to get back in thanks to the ice physics.

That seems unfortunate.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Not gonna lie, I legitimately thought that ice movement was gonna be a thing the whole game, and that would have been a dealbreaker for me. As is, I'm cautiously intrigued.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Next update is going to be at least a little bit longer at best, and a lot longer at worst, than the previous update. The next update covers the entirety of the first dungeon of the game as well as what minor overworld exploration there is before it.

Given that the update on this page is massive already, how do you all want me to handle the next update?

Do you want me to Test post the next update and have an image you click on to access it?

Do you want me to Just Post It as is?

Do you want me to Split it into two separate updates? If so, would you rather I split it at the Dungeon Item, or would you rather I wait until I get the Map shortly after?

Or, finally, do you want me to Wait until the next page to post?

Please bold your choice. I'll decide once I get a few votes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Test Post.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The first update is probably at the upper limit of where an SSLP update should be, if not past it. Better to split anything longer into multiple parts.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for Just Post, but to be fair...

ultrafilter posted:

The first update is probably at the upper limit of where an SSLP update should be, if not past it.

I'm also the person who happily has 200+ screenshots a post in my PMMQ LP, so you may want to take my suggestion with a grain of salt or two.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I agree with Split it Post. Right after the Dungeon Item sounds good - never played this obviously, but often in Zeldas that's usually a good stopping point in dungeons.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Click the picture to view the update!

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 15, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Some LPs avoid the worst of the image lag by moving older updates to test posts so only the most recent one is loading in the thread, maybe that would help.

Also surprised that the dungeon is so straightforward after the craziness of the first update.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Black Robe posted:

Some LPs avoid the worst of the image lag by moving older updates to test posts so only the most recent one is loading in the thread, maybe that would help.

Also surprised that the dungeon is so straightforward after the craziness of the first update.

Thank you! I actually didn't consider that, that definitely seems like a good solution.

Dungeons are definitely going to be calmer, less insane (barring some exceptions). A lot of the game's insanity is front and backloaded.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Looks like there's not going to be a whole lot of items to get. Is this a short game?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
It's not a very long game, yeah. We've already seen a boomerang in the shop as well as a potion, plus presumably the other 2 bananas have their own dungeons with their own dungeon items.

Granted, there's still Xaya mode to cover, as well as some other surprises :ssh:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

In your end of update status update, you should add a counter for the Heart Pieces we've seen and can't get.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, I guess that's fair enough.

Still, Oracle game graphics but with screen sizes of LttP is throwing me off a little.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Post moved to save on ya'll bandwidth. Click the image to view it!

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 16, 2020

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
That dungeon is surprisingly complex for level 1. It reminds me of mid-late dungeon sizes from the Oracle games.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Niiiice! That was a cool dungeon gimmick.

Also, as a fellow user of Discord light theme, I salute you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This looks to be pretty heavily influenced by the original Gameboy game.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

You know the drill. Click the image to read the update!

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 22, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Not sure if it's intentional, but since you only registered recently you might not be aware: When you're logged in, you can just write poo poo and gently caress and all that.

On topic: The overworld looks really nice, but I'm also very fond of the Game Boy Zeldas' graphics. I especially like how the various areas are differentiated by their trees. Is it possible to get a full aerial view of the world, like with the dungeon maps?
Also, while that Flappy Moosh minigame looks plenty annoying, I'm assuming it's at least not as bad as that goddamn pan flute from Spirit Tracks...

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Sadly, the creators chose not to. Palette restrictions mean it'd look weird cause other areas would be displayed in the current area's color. I'll provide one once the whole overworld is explored, though!

Also, I grew so used to seeing the word filter in other LPs that it grew on me even after registering, hehe.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

There's a fine line between silly and utter cringe, and so far we're staying on the right side of it. It helps that the game is actually solidly put together, it's a lot easier to forgive 'cheese illuminati' when everything else works properly and there isn't too much bullshit and it looks good.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Is there any reason not to have the shield tech going at all times? Seems kinda overpowered for getting it so early. Or maybe it's like in Adventures of Link where it's an attempt at mercy?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
There's no downside other than having to switch to Moosh mode and expend about 1/8th your stamina bar to activate it. Moosh mode as a whole is strong.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ice dungeon time! I think.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, the Cheeseforce is a definite 'what the quack' moment. The game seems really solid still, though.

Also, is it just me or do the devs really like their ice physics?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Level 2.mp3

Oh boy.

Ice physics.

This is gonna be awful.

Heading north, we see a new enemy: the Darknut! These guys have a shield on the front that blocks attacks facing their front. Pretty annoying.

We have two options; the stairs, and heading right. There's heading back down to the screen below from the ledge, but...

No bueno.

Level 2 Goriyas, some bats, and a new enemy. These are Vires! When you hit them, they split into bats.

Oh boy! Another one of these wind puzzles. This one ain't so bad.

See? The only thing we need to do with these is move them to make a path to the top of the screen.

We sadly have no way of reaching those lower levels yet. No GB cliff jumping physics :(

There exists code for that now, made by one of the makers of this quest himself, Moosh, but it was long after this quest and a lot of this quest's design is designed around it not being a thing. Ah well.

Is that... Oh god please no. Please don't be what I think it is.

Defeating the enemies doesn't do anything here. However, stepping on the switches light a fire right next to them until we step off. Temporary step switches you have to stay on is gonna be a recurring theme in this dungeon.

We can't light both of them at once, so there has to be something we can do...

Aha!

Using the leaf on the lit frozen candle will cause a bunch of ice dust to blow out, freezing the water. Neat!

Freezing all the water causes a chest to appear, containing a Small Key!

We've explored the entirety of the right side we can currently access, so let's check downstairs instead.

Gee, i-it's kinda dark!

Link has a circle of light around him. It's not big enough to show the entire screen, but it does show enough to let you be prepared for any baddies lurking in the darkness.

In the screen above, we see 4(!) lock blocks, as well as the boss door on the other side of the barrier. This is gonna be one of those dungeons, isn't it...

Heading left, we see more of these torches. Thankfully, we found the tutorial before we found these, so we know what to do with these!

Icy what I have to do.

There's a switch over here...

Which gives us a map! Handy.

This floor is only 8 screens bigger than floor 1 of level 1! ...Which I suppose is 1 screen under twice the size, but details.

This dungeon only has 2 floors, surely it can't be that large!

On this next screen we-

-immediately lose our shield to a likelike :smith:

Our shield wouldn't want us mourning. It'd want us to press on!

Sadly these blocks didn't get the memo :mad:

Stepping on the switch in the middle traps us. Pressing on (the switch) seems to have done us more harm than good.

Stepping off removes them though. I guess they had more pressing matters to attend to.

A screen north we have some stairs leading upstairs and a path leading back down to the prior room but on the opposite side of this fence.

It takes us to a switch which seems to have no visible effect. We can't see anything in this darkness.

Heading up the stairs leads us to- holy hell that map is chunky.

Another branch! Let's head south first.

Sunlight appears to be shining on that block of ice. Sadly though, it's not melting. Either we need a bigger sunlight or this isn't Minish Cap.

Well clearly it isn't Minish Cap cause we just died.

Confirmed Deaths: 6

Making our way back, we decide to tackle the problem by... tackling the problem, literally.

Oh, by the way, not only do the Vires split into 2 bats, but those bats will turn back into Vires if you leave them alone for too long. Easy way to get overwhelmed.

Killing the enemies does nothing, so we head back up and head east this time.

We can't push these ice blocks. Alas.

We have a key and can unlock that door, but let's check to the right first.

Nevermind.

We have a key and can unlock that door, so let's unlock that door.

Midboss.mp3

Miniboss time!

When it's red, it can shoot fire that melts the ice.

Whenever it attacks, it flips over, revealing the opposite side of it's body.

It can shoot fireballs in either form.

Confirmed Deaths: 7

Attempt 2!

When it's blue, it shoots ice that refreezes the floor.

Confirmed Deaths: 8

Attempt 3!

Moosh's dash attack takes swift work of it.

Killing all the enemies in the next room causes an item to appear. Hmm...

Stepping on the switch turns the spot the item landed into a conveyor and turns some of the blocks into conveyors while we're standing on it. Using careful timing, we can trap the item by stepping off the switch when it's in between the blocks that disappeared, and thus get it.

"You got the Fire Rod. Hold B to charge up a more powerful attack and light up the dark."

The door to the south was frozen over, but using a single B press of our new fire rod on it causes it to open up.

How does it work when charged up? Let's find out!

When charging, Link starts to get a cool sparkle effect around him.

Whoa.

Das cool.

Our new fire rod can melt these ice blocks.

Melting all of them opens the door above!

Oh dear.

These new enemies are Pols Voice. They jump around a lot and make hitting them annoying cause they go through the Z axis (which means none of your attacks can hit them when they're jumping cause they're logically in the air). In the original Zelda, they died in one hit to arrows. We don't have anything resembling arrows yet, but...

Our handy new toy is really powerful and has a large range.

Expensive, but worth.

Nice!

These are stalfos, more specifically level 2 versions of them. They shoot sword beams and are annoying, but our new fire rod can deal with them without much issue.

That door we just opened leads to that puzzle that looks suspiciously like an ice puzzle that I want nothing to do with. We don't remember to come back here until like the very end of the recording session, which means we won't be seeing it until the end of the next update.

Hold the phone. We aren't doing anything until we hit that switch and get a shortcut.

Using the fire rod on the unlit torch opens the barrier going deeper in.

Shortcut obtained!

Heading west does nil for us yet.

Heading north seems promising though!

I actually slide off the edge and into the pit trying to head west. Be careful with the ice physics, they'll getcha!

There's a floating block in the center.

Pushing it removes and creates blocks. We'll have to keep pushing it to progress.

We have to push this block and return to the start of the room to push the block one last time. Sneaky!

The switch lowers a barrier on the west side of the room. We can't reach it yet though.

Way back here, we have yet to take this lower path.

Watch your step!

Darknuts on ice are the actual worst thing.

A stairway down! Time to explore more of the darkness.

We're on the other side of the room with the 4 lockblocks! Specifically, on the side where we can actually access them.

An unlit torch... you know what that means!

Lighting it turns into an ice torch, for some strange reason. More importantly though, I demonstrate that our fancy new fire rod, when charging it, will light up even more of the room. Very handy!

I blow more dust across the water and head south a screen.

Another key!

I use it to unlock the first of the 4 lock gauntlet. Unlocking the first one opens a shortcut back to the start!

ZC only has support for 1 boss lock and 1 regular lock per screen. To have 4 locks on a single screen, the creators here did some scripting magic.

Confirmed Deaths: 9

Heading east from the 4 locks takes us to the return of snekfriend. Hi snekfriend!

UH.

MOOSH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

...oh.

Wait, something fishy is going on here...

Aha! Charging our fire rod reveals an invisible walkway over the pit. Granted, it wasn't very hidden as enemies had no problem walking over it, but I forgot this mechanic existed and legit thought it was a bug at first. haha.

There's no way forward. Hmm...

Oi! I see you there! Uncharging the rod reveals some sneaky torches to the right.

This is some Link Between Worlds stuff right here.

Lighting those torches reveals a bridge heading north.

Compass beep goes off here. That chest has a key in it, but we have no way of reaching it from here.

Heading right seems to be a dead end. However, what if we charge up our new toy?

Aha!

Activating the fan does nothing for us yet, but it'll be handy in the near future.

Heading back here, there's barriers in our way. However, if you have a keen eye...

Unlit torch hiding off the bottom edge of the screen.

Darknuts unfortunately are immune to fire, and shield other enemies and torches from it as well.

Eventually, we light all of them and make a bridge across.

Another floating block next to some barriers blocking our path. 0 guesses as to what pushing this one does.

We'll have to do some ice skating to hit that switch and lower the barriers. :ohdear:

Actually, it isn't too bad. The spike hitboxes are really generous here.

Past the barriers is a pit leading to the basement, but let's leave that for later.

Hey, it's that puzzle we solved earlier!

Killing the enemies would presumably lower the barriers, but that leads to the pit and it's best I find to handle things a floor at a time.

This room sure has a lot of torches...

Aha! Blowing them all out reveals a chest.

Heart Pieces found: 1/4! :smug:

With that, now seems like a good time to end this, less your browsers end up more frozen than this dungeon.

Total Deaths: 9(!)
Heart Pieces obtained: 9
Heart Pieces taunting: 3
My bones: frozen

Next Time: I can't believe it's not Key Cavern!

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 22, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, this dungeon seems... kinda stressful! Especially with the darknuts on ice, which seems (dark)nuts.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, that escalated quickly. But I guess with only three dungeons (and probably a final boss dungeon?), you can't increase the difficulty and complexity of the levels as slowly as, say, Link to the Past, with 3 light world and 8 (!) dark world dungeons.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh cool, nice to see some Zelda Classic let's plays here! There's some surprisingly good stuff that can be done with the scripting. Hope you'll stick around and show off more!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
That puzzle with the freezing torches and the water seems kind of annoying to figure out. Is there anything to indicate that blowing on them with the leaf will do something special?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Jade Rider posted:

Oh cool, nice to see some Zelda Classic let's plays here! There's some surprisingly good stuff that can be done with the scripting. Hope you'll stick around and show off more!
Mostly lurking, but I would also love to see more of these; it's been a super interesting read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, it's been an interesting ride so far! I've just been a tad quiet because I've been focusing on other things.