Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like they're following a pizza recipe from 500 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6XvMKdD2tY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Back when cheese cost extra

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That is a fish khachapuri

e: catch a puri

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know, I just thought it would be a funny thing to say

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Removal of my pizza? I would!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now that I'm in Florida I've been pretty happy with Five Star Pizza. I gather they're very focused to this region but they seem to have a lot of locations, and it's pretty drat tasty.

My ür-pizza however will always be Round Table. Nothing ever, ever tastes as good to me as RT does, and my first stop whenever I go back to California to visit is some Round Table on the way home from the airport. (Mountain Mike's is actually a very close simulacrum flavor-wise, but it too is only in CA, dammit.)

I'm always cagey about evangelizing it to people because it's expensive.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Canadian fast food chains have the weirdest thirst about their American counterparts/nemeses. A&W is pretty funny, it's this massive thing in Canada now but I remember it being pretty widespread in the US when I was a kid; their big deal was their root beer, and burgers were a sideshow. Now they've completely disappeared from the US but in Canada you'd never imagine they came from somewhere else.

Once when I was in Toronto around 2000, I went to the Yorkdale Mall food court for lunch with some friends, and I got KFC. On the box it said, and I swear to loving God:

"The first Kentucky Fried Chicken was opened in Calgary in 1956. Since then, ..."

Not a hint of a word that it originated outside Canada. I constantly kick myself for not keeping the box or taking a picture of it or something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zushio posted:

The Colonel lived in Mississauga, Ontario from the mid-60's until his death in 1980. We loved that guy almost as much as America does. I vaguely remember those "Story of KFC" boxes, but I always thought they included the words "Outside of the United States".

I remember reading it over and over like a dozen times because I was sure I was missing that bit somehow.

Maybe they changed it eventually.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've had much worse pizza than Domino's. Especially since their revamp.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CLAM DOWN posted:

completely contrary to the thread title but this was the best takeout thick crust pizza i've ever had, from a brooklyn style place

This is basically what Detroit Style is, isn't it? Done in an oil drip pan to maximize the crispy lacy cheese edge.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whenever I'm making pizza at home I have to impress upon myself to put on WAY more pepperoni and mushrooms than I think is sensible, because both shrink.

Just pile them sky high, they end up perfectly distributed as though by magic

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I'd definitely eat it. Lord knows I love me some cold cheese by the handful while standing at the refrigerator in the dark kitchen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's still there, just unreleased

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe it's like a McDLT

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Big Beef City posted:

With all the UK/British/Scottish/whatever goons that post around here you've never once encountered this? Blood sausage is extremely common for them. Calm down Beavis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQozR6ZYl6g

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Where was that can of brains that said it had like 3500% of the RDA of cholesterol or something?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mozzarella OR PROCESS cheese

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My favorite midcentury food ad quirk is that they always seem to be trying to trick your family into eating it. Like if you can't capture their attention they just won't bother eating.

"How do you make a breakfast that your kids won't turn up their noses at?"

"Looking for a dish that'll entice Hubby to come home on time?"

"Here's a foodstuff full of nutrients and nourishment to make sure your family has the energy to get through the day without collapsing from sheer listless ennui!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or they all have a shelf life of like 15 years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The number of times I've seen someone come into a pizza place and walk out with just an enormous cheese pizza, ffs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AARD VARKMAN posted:

someone will be along shortly to espouse the amazing nature of a 4x cheese pizza or w/e but I'm assuming we're talking a literal plain 1x cheese pizza and i don't understand adults that prefer that at all

I once worked with this hipster rich-kid topknot dude in a tech job in Manhattan who one morning started loudly complaining how hungry he was and he couldn't wait for lunch, so at about 11:00 he called up the pizza place downstairs and went down to retrieve TWO extra-large 1x cheese pizzas. He then sat there at his desk eating it and moaning about how it's soooooo fuckin gooooood.

He finished about two slices and put both boxes in the fridge where they decayed

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hosed up

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

However I have it on good authority that there are few, possibly no, pizza rules

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Can we get pizza?"

"We have pizza at home"

Pizza at home:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh we all hated the breadtangle of pizza, but it was less bad than the other school lunch food.

At least it had cheese on it usually

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll have a large with uuuhhhhhh lettuce, olives, jalapeños, and titanium yellow. Make that extra titanium

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

learnincurve posted:

why would you put it on top of the hot thing when salad bowls exist?

McDLT pizza

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hella would.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pepperonus

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Here's your desert pizza

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I prefer a soupcan of grated cheese

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Be not afraid

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No true Palouser

(If that isn't what people from that area are called I don't want to be corrected)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If pickles on pizza were not good then why have I been trying doggedly to make it work since I was 12??

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

here lies

peperony and chease

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Do those pizzas just take like half an hour to assemble or what?

Like no pizza rules and all but kind of one of the big advantages of a pizza is that it can be (literally) thrown together, in like a minute

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fun fact, modern banana slugs don't taste like the Gros Michel banana slugs that our grandparents knew,

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ultrafilter posted:

Weird cooking technique but the end result looks pretty edible. I'd try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not even premade pizza dough, just a fully rolled out premade pizza base

The intricate aiming of exactly how much involvement the target market wants to have with the cooking process, *squints, holds fingers apart at arm's length*