Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

qirex posted:

rewatched “guns akimbo” last night, it’s a dumb but entertaining indie action movie. kinda uneven in spots but worth a watch imo

oh hey i forgot about that movie, thx for the reminder. im in the exact mood for a dumb but entertaining action movie, uneven or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yeah it's up there with Crank as a fun & silly high concept action flick

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chris Knight posted:

yeah it's up there with Crank as a fun & silly high concept action flick

thumbs up, gonna burn this linux iso to cdr now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh wow this intro is incredibly 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this sucks

but yeah its very Crank-ish. and i like crank cause i watched it in 2005 or whenever but i honestly dont think i would like it if i saw it for the first time today. but re this movie, especially the cutaways to audience scenes in this one, "ohhh", my god. it kills any enjoyment i had

sorry. not my jam.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 23, 2024

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

quixotic haterade

mystes
May 31, 2006

QCS Hardonache

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Eeyo posted:

the more that is explained about dune the less it makes sense

to paraphrase a tweet from memory, dune is about frank herbert's sincere and profound love of cocaine and the immortal light of Islam.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah it was everything i had hoped for. villeneuve ftw

villeneueneubeve is picking up the ball nolan dropped post-interstellar

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/timessqkungfu/status/1678625989012668418?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i feel like lower-budget movies of that era have a certain feel to the audio mixing; is that just me? i'm not sure exactly how to describe it.

if it's not just me: was there like some particular piece of equipment that was prolific around that time, was it a certain philosophy or approach that was popular back then, or was that just what contemporary technology with limited budget produced?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if i had to guess i'd wonder if that was the product of early digital sound mixing technology but that's a total rear end-pull on my part and i could be totally wrong

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i feel like lower-budget movies of that era have a certain feel to the audio mixing; is that just me? i'm not sure exactly how to describe it.

if it's not just me: was there like some particular piece of equipment that was prolific around that time, was it a certain philosophy or approach that was popular back then, or was that just what contemporary technology with limited budget produced?

I’m not certain that this is what is the cause for this but one contributing factor is that anything other than optical mono - in other words, a single analog audio channel on the physical 35mm film was expensive and relatively rare. stereo wasn’t even able to be encoded/decdoded in the space available in 35mm film until the 70s and that tech was still expensive until you get into the 90s.

prior to Dolby stereo a multichannel audio track (quadraphonic) needed separate magnetic tape(s) sync’d to the projector or larger format film (70mm).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think it's a combo of extensive foley work and limited dynamic range from the film track. it's possible they used dynamic compression to make it feel "hotter" in the theater too

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

gently caress me every time i’ve checked the theater’s website dunc has been almost sold out and now it’s looking like they’re going to straight up stop showing it before i’m back from vacation

this isn’t fair :saddowns:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rjmccall posted:

right, so how is this useful anywhere. why would you focus on naval power — not space naval, actual naval — in a universe where presumably all significant military disputes are interplanetary. do you just pay the guild to airdrop your entire fleet into place so you can blockade your enemy’s seaports

so you figure that it is *unrealistic* that the greatest power would spend a vast military budget in a way which seems like it'd be mostly useless in any war they'd be likely to find themselves in?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I see you’re still reading dune sequels. why? why are you doing this? here, let me hit you with this:
“A surmise.” That secret society on Gammu—they’re Jews, aren’t they?

still?

“The crystal had more to impart: “Jews are amused and sometimes dismayed at what they interpret as our copying them. Our breeding records dominated by the female line to control the mating pattern are seen as Jewish. You are only a Jew if your mother was a Jew.””

seriously you’re still here? well, just so you know I’m sure not finishing this story

-Frank Herbert, probably

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’ve read so much stuff on the internet that this stuff is entertaining but wow 1984-1986 must’ve been brutal for dune fans

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m not certain that this is what is the cause for this but one contributing factor is that anything other than optical mono - in other words, a single analog audio channel on the physical 35mm film was expensive and relatively rare. stereo wasn’t even able to be encoded/decdoded in the space available in 35mm film until the 70s and that tech was still expensive until you get into the 90s.

prior to Dolby stereo a multichannel audio track (quadraphonic) needed separate magnetic tape(s) sync’d to the projector or larger format film (70mm).

oh poo poo is that what i'm hearing? that it's just a mono audio track? drat that would make sense huh. how did i not even notice that? god i'm a dumbass

thanks!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

only a handful of theaters in the US (like, literally maybe a dozen) could handle anything other than mono until Star Wars. that got a lot of larger theaters to equip early 4 channel surround sound (l, r, center, surround)

imagine what hearing a tie fighter pass from behind you would’ve been like if you had no idea surround sound was even a thing that was possible.

a lot of theaters only had mono sound systems even to the ‘00s. a low budget production may not expect to get a showing anywhere else. VHS did have stereo though so they might at least create something? a lot of digital transfers are half assed so you’re going through a lot of opportunities for the economics to work against caring about correct audio here.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
did an inadvertent Gina Gershon double bill last night, courtesy of Criterion channel's "Razzie" spotlight: Showgirls and Cocktail

Cocktail is a loving weird movie. Gina's only in it for a bit in the first act, so don't watch it for her lol. anyway, it starts as the typical "young buck meets wise guru" type plot, which is cool cuz Bryan Brown nails it. and then holy smokes the 3rd act just goes off the rails. Shue is cute af so that helps.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
finished the gentlemen. silly fun. i wish they’d paid off the romantic tension at least a little. also the plot just devolved into people behaving stupidly for the last few episodes, nothing felt believable

watched the first episode of three body problem. i have not read the book. seems okay so far

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ok

so I know the roadhouse remake is going to be bad

but is it bad bad or good bad

I like jake-ey g overall and mr notorious has potential to be hilarious

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think having McGregor in it even as a bad guy means it’s going to be bad bad

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

the fights are cgi

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

duz posted:

the fights are cgi

did they paint on jakes abs

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

sometimes youtube recommends me videos of various celebs taking about their favorite movies, and so far I have seen a few of them with bill hader, and he seems like a big film nerd that appreciates little details that a lot of people wouldn't make note of. here's one where he is talking about the burbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63oQvFpQpB4

anyway that led me to hearing about Barry so I decided to check it out because it seemed to have decent reviews and I ended up binging the entire first season last night.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

finally found a dunc 2 ticket to 70mm IMAX that's not in the front two rows or in the aisle. 11:45am on a Monday and that's not even the matinee :smugdog:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Bubble Bath (1980) is not a good movie, but it is an absolute goldmine of reaction faces.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

finally found a dunc 2 ticket to 70mm IMAX that's not in the front two rows or in the aisle. 11:45am on a Monday and that's not even the matinee :smugdog:
woot!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am seeing it tomorrow which means I'm watching dune 1 again tonight.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sweet holy gently caress I'm ruined for all other formats

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wasn't super impressed with my dunc1 imax rewatch, a imo lot of the scenes looked better in widescreen ratio and there was this faint grid of squares pattern visible on the screen for most of the movie that was very distracting

plus the same theater has a dolby cinema which has hdr projector, much better seats and a superior sound system

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

wasn't super impressed with my dunc1 imax rewatch, a imo lot of the scenes looked better in widescreen ratio and there was this faint grid of squares pattern visible on the screen for most of the movie that was very distracting

plus the same theater has a dolby cinema which has hdr projector, much better seats and a superior sound system

whats ur recommended theater? not super happy with the one in stonestown

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i just checked again and not only can i not see dunc 2 in imax but they just don’t have any more showings at all. gently caress gently caress gently caress

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

as great as it was in the theatre, I will enjoy the movie even more when I can pause it to have a pee or grab more booze

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

as great as it was in the theatre, I will enjoy the movie even more when I can pause it to have a pee or grab more booze

no stillsuit?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol this is the perfect encapsulation of a 90s action thriller trailer; hook 'em with the sexy ladies, reel 'em in with some explosions and then wheel the actual plot out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Y3uIW3_gk

The whole movie is up on YT in crystal-clear 360p, I might give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QubNHXdvANU

(but really I was only here for one thing)

SO many micro-uzis even in the trailer, it's like an OPERATION THUNDERBOLT cab only IRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

whats ur recommended theater? not super happy with the one in stonestown

metreon dolby cinema if you're going for some spectacle poo poo, I usually do the kabuki for non rep stuff