Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

anyway most scifi authors suck at religion, the ancillary/radtch books probably get it close where there's a strict set of cultural norms but nearly everyone breaks them in small ways, continuously
frank herbert did interesting things with religion in dune

so did gene wolfe (in book of the new sun and elsewhere)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

did they really do a grimdark gritty nurse ratched origin story
what does your heart tell you jonny?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

I can't remember who recommended it but i bought that D&D Art & Arcana book and it's hella nostalgic and good so thanks
that was hph

and it is a good book

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/JosephScrimshaw/status/1309633206220513281

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
general grievous - an entirely cgi robot character - is the only person in the entire prequel trilogy who seemed to be having any fun at all

e: boss nass gets points just because he was voiced by brian blessed

FMguru fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 28, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xaris posted:

they suck and acting/dialog is dogshit, but at least lucas had a vision and passion for poo poo. these days i generally like more endearing-passion even if the final product is garbage because at least you can see some humanity behind it. that's more than i can say about the jjabraquels
yeah the one thing i will say about the prequels is that lucas at least tried to do something different, something that wasn't just more x-wings and stormtroopers and the millenium falcon

the problem was that he was the exact wrong person to write and direct a space opera version of i, claudius

and then disney bought the franchise and cranked out an endless stream of dull movies with more x-wings and stormtroopers and the millenium falcon and etc etc

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

also you know that all of the soong androids were built as sex-bots. the fact that there's no lady bot just tells us that soong was gay
the one time they tried to build a lady android they called her "lol"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
dunkirk was very good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
giant fuckin robot spider

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
firefox is a better cold war thriller movie than hunt for red october, imho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
everyone remembers the final third of the movie (with the dogfights and the submarine refueling) and rightly so, but the middle third (eastwood being smuggled from moscow to the airbase) is a wonderfully grimy and nasty cold war spy movie (ala john le carre) in its own right

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGaCprxoHMU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
32 seasons and still going strong

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i also just discovered there's a futurama equivalent of the simpsons' frinkiac: https://morbotron.com/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Carthag Tuek posted:

the luck of the fryrish got me teary-eyed when it first came out
bender finally obtaining john larroquettes' spine was powerfully moving

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/nicsperling/status/1313193164136562689

:negative:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

i remember seeing this movie and wondering what the gently caress jack nicholson was thinking but it turns out he got an absolute barrelful of money and made that sequel to Chinatown with it so idk its sorta a wash
the two jakes was actually a pretty ok movie

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

i havent seen it since it was in theaters but i dont remember being mad about it so it couldn't have been awful
it was better than its reputation, which suffered from the crime of Not Being Chinatown (which, duh). its a perfectly ok noir otherwise (not great, but perfectly ok)

reminds me of 2010, a perfectly fine 1980s sf movie that got dumpstered for Not Being 2001

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

lots of movies aren't 2001
i would go so far as to say most movies arent 2001

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one of my favorite sf movie traditions is hiring a serious british actor (alec guinness, judi dench, sian phillips, etc) to appear in your space wizard film to try and give it a touch of gravitas

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

judi Dench in riddick was hilarious. I hope they paid her a lot for that
all reports are that she had a blast. vin taught her how to play dungeons and dragons, which she went on to play with her grandkids :3:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

Anthony Hopkins seems like a nice kindly old man who nevertheless is best known for playing Basically Satan
yep

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
groening has terminal boomerbrain but his hatred for nixon always ran strong and pure, even back in his "life in hell" days

the purest and most powerful hatred of nixon dwelled in the heart of hunter s thompson, of course: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

that eulogy is a thing of beauty
right up there with dfw's essay about spending a week on a cruise ship as the best non-fiction writing of the 1990s

quote:

If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal ... His body should have been burned in a trash bin.

These are harsh words for a man ... but I have written worse things about Nixon, many times, and the record will show that I kicked him repeatedly long before he went down. I beat him like a mad dog with mange every time I got a chance, and I am proud of it. He was scum.

Let there be no mistake in the history books about that. Richard Nixon was an evil man -- evil in a way that only those who believe in the physical reality of the Devil can understand it. He was utterly without ethics or morals or any bedrock sense of decency.
aaaah, that's the stuff

FMguru fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 6, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the gbs simpsons meme thread is doing simpsons/dune mashups

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
trekists

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kuvo posted:

i know ive seen this movie but cant remember its name
based on the playboy model with big b00bs and the fact that something explodes, i guessing its an andy sidaris flick

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1313524010358013953

:dadjoke:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i agree, it's extremely masturbatory

see also: movies about young scriptwriters/actors/filmmakers, who are smarter/better than everyone else but misunderstood, just trying to catch their big break in hollywood. gently caress off

e: also movies about middle aged businessmen having a crisis trying to figure out why their mansions and cars don't make them happy. especially in hollywood. gently caress off
my favorite: literary novels where the main character is a college professor who is having a midlife crisis and sleeps with one or more beautiful students

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

i still say the first two seasons of Twin Peaks was the best thing to ever be on TV
eh, the back half of the second season - everything after they resolve who killed laura palmer - was a notch or two below what came before

agreed that the first season and a half are impeccable tv

the finale for trek:tng was pretty great i thought - it nicely summed up everything that was good about the show

homicide:life on the streets had a finale wrapup movie that was pretty good (with a transcendent final two minutes)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Roosevelt posted:

i think the guy playing bones in the jj treks does a pretty good job
karl urban? hes great in everything he does (lord of the rings, dredd, riddick, trek, etc.)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
vance is one of the three sf/fantasy writers whose work rates as literature (wolfe and leguin are the other two)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
his typeface was used in a lot of computer ads and documentation in the 1980s and late 1970s

wikipedia posted:

The font is used on the cover of 1980s Stephen King novels, The Smiths album Strangeways, Here We Come, for the book covers of the Choose Your Own Adventure series, The Bitmap Brothers game The Chaos Engine, as well as in the logos of both the National Assembly of Quebec and the Melbourne Knights.[5] The typeface is featured in the main titles of the Star Trek films, Star Trek Generations and Star Trek: First Contact, as well as video game Nier: Automata. Paramount's FBI warning, from 1995–present, also uses ITC Benguiat.[6] The font is also used in the logo of the American rock band Greta Van Fleet, in the logo for Netflix show Stranger Things, and in the album art for rapper Logic's album Supermarket. The font is used for the logo written and directed by Quentin Tarantino in the beginning of his films.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/cup_of_chino/status/1319057605101170689

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah. in junior and senior year, in my little 35k pop lake town, if you went to a party, the hosts WOULD throw up PF at least once on their dads sweet rear projection tv. We felt so cool and cosmopolitan watching this WILD movie.

pulp fiction, NBK, uhhh some of my queer friends introduced us to gregg araki films, Clerks was a good standby....
90s cinema had its share of problems, but id rank it miles ahead of our current wasteland of marvel cinematic universe entries, reboots, franchises, adaptations, and relaunches

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

indigi posted:

Ender’s Game rules cause it’s the smartest kid in class being relentlessly owned by his teachers and tricked into doing evil. basically the story of most STEM students
the underlying message is that if you have trouble making friends and are good at video games and solving kings quest graphic adventure puzzles then its because you are a genius and are probably the reincarnation of sun tzu and the eventual savior of the human race (much like that other picked-upon fellow, jesus christ)

not hard to see how it picked up the audience that it did

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i can not and will not be roped into a discussion of the orson scott card novel i did not read all of the sequels to
there are literally 20 novels in the "enderverse" series

disney/lucasfilm can only stare in awe at such dedication to squeezing as much juice as possible out of retelling a single scifi story from the late 1970s

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
han dying halfway through the force awakens was the most predictable thing

there was no way ford was going to stick around for all three movies

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
demi owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Watching The Abyss rn and it's still really good.
chris elliott makes every movie better