Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
woke up feeling like making GBS threads on Odells chest.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Putting this here too.

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1306800672235499530

Burrow played fine, he's starting his 2nd game and has no oline. HOpefully he doesn't die.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’ll take the win but I mean 35-30 against the Bengals isn’t making me brim with confidence. Too close. The Browns should be better than this.

Burrow is good. Keep him alive Bengals, get him an OLine

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Watching Burrow run 2m drives is the most fun ive had watching the bengals since 2015 its too bad theres no oline, no defense and green is a dead man walking

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I feel like in those two games Burrow has been hit more than Lamar did with 176 carries in 2019

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Joe is the real deal, but I'm amazed he isn't hurt already. He sees almost everything as a rookie with two defenders permanently lodged in his kidneys.

This offensive line is exactly what everyone expected it to be who isn't a member of the front office or coaching staff. You spent a ton of money on a defense that functionally looks the same as last year, but your only move for the line was replacing one career journeyman guard with another, who immediately got hurt.

This is negligent. There were dozens of free agents who would have been better than Hart in this off-season. I get so sick of this team latching on to the worst player on the roster and acting like they have a royal mandate to their depth chart position.

In any other workplace Burrow would have impeccable grounds for a civil suit.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

see if someone is dumb enough to not know that aj green is washed and that he is not contracted beyond this season and will trade an extremely average offensive lineman for him

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The Bengals should be trying to get even one good olinemen this weekend. Even just one to keep burrow alive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The next 1st round pick going to a team like the bengals needs to get having a decent oline in his contract

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I got excited when Burrow's first play was a deep throw to the sideline, but they didn't really keep it up. oh well.

It sucks that the Bengals don't have a good infrastructure to help him succeed.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Bengals have the 11th highest paid defense in the NFL.

They're paying Bobbie Hart 6.8 mil, he's a top ten right tackle in terms of salary.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Eifert Posting posted:

The Bengals have the 11th highest paid defense in the NFL.

They're paying Bobbie Hart 6.8 mil, he's a top ten right tackle in terms of salary.

:stare:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There probably aren't a half dozen people on this subforum who will make this decade what Hart makes in a year.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

at least the cap is fake

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There were some bright sides outside of Burrow. Good special teams play. Sample and Higgens both looked like assets. The offensive playcalling seemed fairly solid considering how bad the line played. The defense... mumble mumble mumble.

The Bengals need to go no huddle as the default offense. The only answer they have for the pass rush is gassing linemen.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Weird game. Even though the Browns felt like they were firmly in control the whole time, I kept expecting them to find a way to gently caress it all up, but then I remembered who they were playing. Classic Bengals on that "5 minute offense" drive by the Browns.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It took me 10 minutes but I thought of something positive to say about the Bengals D.

That goal line stand was solid.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Eifert Posting posted:

Joe is the real deal, but I'm amazed he isn't hurt already. He sees almost everything as a rookie with two defenders permanently lodged in his kidneys.

This offensive line is exactly what everyone expected it to be who isn't a member of the front office or coaching staff. You spent a ton of money on a defense that functionally looks the same as last year, but your only move for the line was replacing one career journeyman guard with another, who immediately got hurt.

This is negligent. There were dozens of free agents who would have been better than Hart in this off-season. I get so sick of this team latching on to the worst player on the roster and acting like they have a royal mandate to their depth chart position.

In any other workplace Burrow would have impeccable grounds for a civil suit.

Maybe players don't really want to play for the Bengals especially if other teams are offering similar amounts. Can you blame them? I know they were basically forced to overpay for those FAs they did get. Having Joe Burrow around and making a decent showing this year could help in that department for next year

As for the game, it was pretty drat hilarious how the Browns called run plays to run out the clock and then after four of them were down the entire length of the field and at the one yard line. I mean what was that. I'm in the process of rewatching it now, but the Browns offense looks pretty sharp against the Bengals. Hopefully this is what they needed to kinda start moving again. I definitely believe a lot more in Stefanski and especially his scheme than I did in Kitchens last year

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

really queer Christmas posted:

The Bengals should be trying to get even one good olinemen this weekend. Even just one to keep burrow alive.

Calling it now: Next off season.

Cin Trades: AJ Green + 3rd
Hou Trades: Laremy Tunsil + 6th

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

OxySnake posted:

Calling it now: Next off season.

Cin Trades: AJ Green + 3rd
Hou Trades: Laremy Tunsil + 6th

pfft yeah right

switch those two picks around

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Glad the Ravens look stronger now :D

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
AJ green is dropping balls and not very involved in the offense. That sucks

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I don't think Zac Taylor is a very good coach

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't think Zac Taylor is a very good coach

weird because "marrying Mike Sherman's daughter" seems like the perfect qualification for an NFL HC :confused:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
His offensive playcalling is fine-ish and the players like him. As far as I'm concerned, though, agreeing to come to this season with this line play is either disqualifyingly incompetant or negligent.

There's a whole bunch of reasons I am not in and have no interest in a management role, but after tonight I'd be telling the staff I am expecting to fire them immediately after the season and it's gonna take a lot to change my mind.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

oh god I just remembered Burrow has to play the Steelers' defensive line twice this year

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Unless the Bengals ran some QB designed runs Joe Burrow dropped back to pass 71 times last night, there's no way that is "decent-ish" play calling

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Burrow audibles a lot more than Dalton so I wonder how much is Zac's playbook improving over the year and how much is Burrow checking out of a look he doesnt like. Regardless, if Zac is gonna let Burrow have that freedom then good because it certainly works in the hurry up but god drat the defensive side is so bad I can easily see the Bengals putting together a 4-12 season scoring 30pts a game

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

AndrewP posted:

oh god I just remembered Burrow has to play the Steelers' defensive line twice this year

Fredo in the cut that's a scary sight

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

Unless the Bengals ran some QB designed runs Joe Burrow dropped back to pass 71 times last night, there's no way that is "decent-ish" play calling

For what it's worth several of those Burrow rushes did seem to be designed, but yeah your point stands. I don't really mind using a short passing game in place of a rushing attack in theory (as in passing to set up better passes) but that didn't seem to be what was going on. Or if it was the idea they failed miserably, there was almost nothing even attempted over 10-15 yards all night.

e: isn't Mixon supposed to be a pretty good receiver? I mean he did have 4 catches on the night, but when you're throwing 60+ times I would have thought he'd get a few more targets. Looking it up those 4 catches were his only targets too, so it's not like they were trying to use him much.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 18, 2020

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mixon is superlative in space.1

DariusLikewise posted:

When there isn't time to develop chunk plays and run blocking is garbage this is kinda a byproduct.

It's a refreshing change of pace from the Lewis era to see schemes and calls change in real time to reflect deficiencies. Last year the Bengals basically redesigned their defense in real time around week 3-7 to accomidate the fact that they effectively didn't have a linebacker on the roster. This year you can see them moving to a short rythm spread offense to mittigate the problems with line play. Making adjustments like that is basic, but is not done by a ton of nfl coaches.

Where they lose credit for this flexibility, though, is the fact that Bengals position coaches and coordinators have a TON of influence on the roster. They signed off on the poo poo they are currently trying to make poo poo-ade with. It's possible that this aspect of being a coach for The Bengals is exaggerated by the administration, but I highly doubt it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Didn’t Mixon had a couple of big catches called back by penalties?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

Didn’t Mixon had a couple of big catches called back by penalties?

I only remember one run... there may have been more though.

I think the big thing that limits mixon's reps in passing is Gio blocks like the world's tiniest guard.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Eifert Posting posted:

Mixon is superlative in space.1

When there isn't time to develop chunk plays and run blocking is garbage this is kinda a byproduct.

It's a refreshing change of pace from the Lewis era to see schemes and calls change in real time to reflect deficiencies. Last year the Bengals basically redesigned their defense in real time around week 3-7 to accomidate the fact that they effectively didn't have a linebacker on the roster. This year you can see them moving to a short rythm spread offense to mittigate the problems with line play. Making adjustments like that is basic, but is not done by a ton of nfl coaches.

Where they lose credit for this flexibility, though, is the fact that Bengals position coaches and coordinators have a TON of influence on the roster. They signed off on the poo poo they are currently trying to make poo poo-ade with. It's possible that this aspect of being a coach for The Bengals is exaggerated by the administration, but I highly doubt it.

Its a bit funny to see the Bengals go from good talent evaluation but inflexible schemes to flexible schemes and bad talent evaluation. Zac may very well be one of those good x and os guy and a horrible GM-lite but we may never know

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kawalimus posted:

Glad the Ravens look stronger now :D

making kawalimus feel better about their team is an own so hard you should be erased from every alternate dimension

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DariusLikewise posted:

I mean, they were getting 2.8 ypc on the ground, it makes sense you wouldn't keep trying to force it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

making kawalimus feel better about their team is an own so hard you should be erased from every alternate dimension

he is a good guy who deserves it

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Poor Kawalimus, there's a good scrappy wide receiver literally named Boyd and he's not a Raven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

athletic (discussing racism)