Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Joe is the real deal, but I'm amazed he isn't hurt already. He sees almost everything as a rookie with two defenders permanently lodged in his kidneys.

This offensive line is exactly what everyone expected it to be who isn't a member of the front office or coaching staff. You spent a ton of money on a defense that functionally looks the same as last year, but your only move for the line was replacing one career journeyman guard with another, who immediately got hurt.

This is negligent. There were dozens of free agents who would have been better than Hart in this off-season. I get so sick of this team latching on to the worst player on the roster and acting like they have a royal mandate to their depth chart position.

In any other workplace Burrow would have impeccable grounds for a civil suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Bengals have the 11th highest paid defense in the NFL.

They're paying Bobbie Hart 6.8 mil, he's a top ten right tackle in terms of salary.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There probably aren't a half dozen people on this subforum who will make this decade what Hart makes in a year.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There were some bright sides outside of Burrow. Good special teams play. Sample and Higgens both looked like assets. The offensive playcalling seemed fairly solid considering how bad the line played. The defense... mumble mumble mumble.

The Bengals need to go no huddle as the default offense. The only answer they have for the pass rush is gassing linemen.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It took me 10 minutes but I thought of something positive to say about the Bengals D.

That goal line stand was solid.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
His offensive playcalling is fine-ish and the players like him. As far as I'm concerned, though, agreeing to come to this season with this line play is either disqualifyingly incompetant or negligent.

There's a whole bunch of reasons I am not in and have no interest in a management role, but after tonight I'd be telling the staff I am expecting to fire them immediately after the season and it's gonna take a lot to change my mind.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mixon is superlative in space.1

DariusLikewise posted:

Unless the Bengals ran some QB designed runs Joe Burrow dropped back to pass 71 times last night, there's no way that is "decent-ish" play calling

When there isn't time to develop chunk plays and run blocking is garbage this is kinda a byproduct.

It's a refreshing change of pace from the Lewis era to see schemes and calls change in real time to reflect deficiencies. Last year the Bengals basically redesigned their defense in real time around week 3-7 to accomidate the fact that they effectively didn't have a linebacker on the roster. This year you can see them moving to a short rythm spread offense to mittigate the problems with line play. Making adjustments like that is basic, but is not done by a ton of nfl coaches.

Where they lose credit for this flexibility, though, is the fact that Bengals position coaches and coordinators have a TON of influence on the roster. They signed off on the poo poo they are currently trying to make poo poo-ade with. It's possible that this aspect of being a coach for The Bengals is exaggerated by the administration, but I highly doubt it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

Didn’t Mixon had a couple of big catches called back by penalties?

I only remember one run... there may have been more though.

I think the big thing that limits mixon's reps in passing is Gio blocks like the world's tiniest guard.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Poor Kawalimus, there's a good scrappy wide receiver literally named Boyd and he's not a Raven.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a very nuanced and impartial stance on Bobby Hart. In order to get a good idea of how I feel please loop this video uninturupted for two hours and seven minutes.

https://youtu.be/ubxMg7PFalc

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

whos that broooown posted:

Luck didn't get to shop at Jungle Jim's though.

This is true.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you can find a player worse than Hart I'd still make the switch cuz at least the other dude won't get out of the way.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can relate to the Watsons and Burrows of the world right now. Work is miserable atm.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It must be tough pushing to leave a team if you're a player like Watson. I imagine his teammates are people he feels an obligation towards and probably many of them are his friends. It's one thing when you are schmuck Linebacker #3, another when you're an all pro caliber qb.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I've never really bought this.

This new QB, do you think he's gonna throw the ball or what coach?

Dunno, we don't have any tape on him, what if tunnels under the field for 1st downs?!! *PANICS*

That's willfully going to the ground, the play would be blown dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I wonder how many years it's going to take before I stop thinking these are UC bearcats.

There an NFC team so my guess is more than one.