Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

Unless the Bengals ran some QB designed runs Joe Burrow dropped back to pass 71 times last night, there's no way that is "decent-ish" play calling

For what it's worth several of those Burrow rushes did seem to be designed, but yeah your point stands. I don't really mind using a short passing game in place of a rushing attack in theory (as in passing to set up better passes) but that didn't seem to be what was going on. Or if it was the idea they failed miserably, there was almost nothing even attempted over 10-15 yards all night.

e: isn't Mixon supposed to be a pretty good receiver? I mean he did have 4 catches on the night, but when you're throwing 60+ times I would have thought he'd get a few more targets. Looking it up those 4 catches were his only targets too, so it's not like they were trying to use him much.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

So I...well don't want to go into that bullshit that will make you feel bad.

But you're all in on Herbert from now on (even if it's horrendously unfair to Tyrod who exists to be put in this situation)? I saw no reason not to do that today. I think he'll get more hype than he deserves, but at the same time I saw him do just fine other than one absolutely horrid decision on one hand and on the other make a throw very few people could make that was good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Charger Tier

Yeah assuming this is about the Chiefs I agree. Stupid homers aside no one expects the Chiefs defense to be good. We do expect the offense to be a hell of a lot more than it was.

Ha, just realized Melvin Gordon would have been a useful player today if you guys weren't going to use Ekeler any more than you did.

e: it might not be about the Chiefs since it took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to read these dumb graphs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kawalimus posted:

What does it mean? I don't understand it.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding things (which is possible!) the slash lines are what it's attempting to show.

So top right is good like all of these things, but bottom right can be fine if your offense is good enough. So Green Bay and the Rams are relatively about the same in different ways, same with the Jags and Steelers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

adaz posted:

I'm half/half on how much players care about this. Nobody wants to lose their job to injury but nobody wants to be on the losing team and if herbert is clearly better than Tyrod wouldn't you rather be winning games?

He was fine yesterday but I'm not convinced of this yet. But he's got upside that Tyrod absolutely doesn't obviously.

If Tyrod can't go next week and Herbert stinks up the joint then you can put him back in, until then it doesn't really make sense. If he can go...well I guess that'll be interesting from an outside perspective. Like if I were a Chargers fan I'd almost be hoping my starting QB couldn't play just to make the decision easier.

e: I like Taylor and feel terrible for him that this poo poo is happening again. I don't think he's great or anything but he's adequate and deserves a home somewhere that doesn't have someone about to vulture his job for at least a few games? Give the guy a half season or something. Unrelated to Herbert or the current situation, just in a void I'd like for that to happen for him on a team that has maybe a little more imagination than those Bills teams did offensively.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 21, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The Chiefs struggled because they couldn’t tackle anyone, anyone!! I want to see how many missed tackles came out from that game

I love that he's back and still really like him but Juan Thornhill is part of this problem.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

He had the option week 1 and threw a stupid pick to melvin ingram

Looked this up to make sure I wasn't going crazy and these things are absolutely not on the same level. Burrow might have made it because he's an incredible athlete but it wasn't even close to sure, Herbert pulled up two yards before the marker with no one in the area and threw a duck back across the field that hung in the air forever. Both really dumb, one is clearly dumber.

I mean, I say this as a guy who's been on record saying Herbert should play?

e: the Bad Burrow play.

The Herbert pick.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 21, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Pooo Brees

I know the defense was what completely poo poo the bed, but comeon, I'm gonna say it.

This is one of those games where the stats don't tell the story. 26/38 for 312 is what happened, but it sure as hell wasn't a dangerous 300 yard game.

Intruder posted:

Saints would have had 2:30 and a timeout if not for a completely needless DPI too

That awful, awful interception at the end of the first half too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Guze posted:

How much of those 300 passing yards are after the catch? That one late pass to Sanders seemed like the longest one

Toward the end of the game someone posted that he'd completed one pass two apparently over 6 yards in the air after the first quarter I think? So a lot is the answer.

Which to be fair a lot of YAC is normal for him, but most of this was the Raiders D being pretty bad themselves rather than picking the perfect target and hitting them in stride or whatever.

e: vv--yeah that was what I was thinking of.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, was expecting 2009 to be the year he played injured with the Jets but that was Favre's first year with the Vikings/last good to great year.

Took some fancy playcalling I guess.