Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Eifert Posting posted:

Joe is the real deal, but I'm amazed he isn't hurt already. He sees almost everything as a rookie with two defenders permanently lodged in his kidneys.

This offensive line is exactly what everyone expected it to be who isn't a member of the front office or coaching staff. You spent a ton of money on a defense that functionally looks the same as last year, but your only move for the line was replacing one career journeyman guard with another, who immediately got hurt.

This is negligent. There were dozens of free agents who would have been better than Hart in this off-season. I get so sick of this team latching on to the worst player on the roster and acting like they have a royal mandate to their depth chart position.

In any other workplace Burrow would have impeccable grounds for a civil suit.

Maybe players don't really want to play for the Bengals especially if other teams are offering similar amounts. Can you blame them? I know they were basically forced to overpay for those FAs they did get. Having Joe Burrow around and making a decent showing this year could help in that department for next year

As for the game, it was pretty drat hilarious how the Browns called run plays to run out the clock and then after four of them were down the entire length of the field and at the one yard line. I mean what was that. I'm in the process of rewatching it now, but the Browns offense looks pretty sharp against the Bengals. Hopefully this is what they needed to kinda start moving again. I definitely believe a lot more in Stefanski and especially his scheme than I did in Kitchens last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

the only thing I can see in that play is maybe Hart is expecting a pass off due to the stunt, but the RG very clearly is not interested in any such thing.

it was actually the guard who initiated the pass off but Hart decided he'd rather not take anyone so the guard went with what should've been Hart's guy and left a wide open rushing lane in the middle

it's a horrible rep for both guys, but Hart literally did nothing but touch a guy with one hand. and even that touch was tentative, like a teenager getting ready to stroke his first boob

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Watching the Bills Dolphins game for the first time and just heard an obligatory "a young man who's overcome a lot" in reference to a dude who drunkenly pushed his girlfriend against the wall, slapped her, shoved her onto the ground and then robbed her. The Bills decided that didn't matter and then the announcer frames it as if beating on your girlfriend is some kind of personal journey of discovery

Frustrated posted:

The Texans are the worst team in the AFC South and I don't think it's close.

BoB traded away possibly the best receiver in the game for an RB he isn't going to use correctly, and all the picks for a LT and Watson still gets pressured like crazy. Losing this year isn't even worth anything because the Texans don't have a pick till the third round.

Please fire O'Brien into the sun before we waste all of Watson's career like we did with Watt.

They haven't even played another team in their division and they've lost (pretty comprehensively, I admit) to the best two teams in the NFL. So I don't necessarily agree at all, Watson will be able to do more against teams that aren't literally the best in the league, and we haven't really had a chance to see how they match up to other teams in the division.

I'm with you on O'Brien but I'm warning you that Watson will somehow drag them to 9-7 and a wild card berth and all this will start over again.

Freaquency posted:

I don’t know that there were any choices that were any better though. I guess he maybe could have thrived in TB. Maybe he’s trying to wait out BOB but it’s hard to believe that the team will be reasonably competitive at any time during the length of his deal, and it seems like they’re already in a hole for the future too wrt draft picks.

Well he signed an extension of the type that you can't sign with anyone but your current team I believe, so he would've had to keep playing at a reduced salary in order to reach free agency. He decided to get paid right away

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wyoak posted:

maybe they'll just keep saying tyrod's the guy, then 10 minutes before game time he'll keep suffering surprise injuries after visits from the medical staff

The Panthers would be a really good team for Herbert with a full week of first team reps, but then they've got the Bucs/Saints which could be rough so maybe it's not bad to have Tyrod start a couple more

I think the Chargers know that there was a flukey element to Herbert's play in that game, that maybe he looked a little better and a little more ready than he actually is. That boneheaded interception he threw into double coverage while the first down was right in front of him comes to mind, as well as the goal line play where he ran the play action on the wrong side leading to a broken play on third and goal that could've won the game otherwise. He did make some nice throws but if the Chargers don't think he's ready then he might not be

All they're saying is that if Tyrod is healthy he's going to start, which I don't have a problem with really

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

*Burrow makes one dumb rookie mistake week one*

TFF: drat he looks awesome lets see more

*Herbert makes one dumb rookie mistake his first start*

TFF: drat smoke and mirrors, bench him

Burrow has been getting first team reps all summer and has been preparing to start since being drafted. It's a different situation considering the Bengals don't have anybody to put in front of Burrow and never did whereas the Chargers always planned for Herbert to sit as long as possible.

Personally I'm not saying it's smoke and mirrors at all, in fact it was an amazing debut, but I am saying the coaches probably know better than us how ready he is. And there were some indications that he could use more practice with the first team despite all the good things he did do in the game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

How does he get practice with the first team if you're starting tyrod and he takes the first team reps

I'm sure they've been working him in regularly since camp started, but yeah there are positives and negatives from sitting rookie QBs for sure. Luckily, Herbert will get plenty of first team reps in his career if he's actually a thing.

I get your point though, the real question is whether this is Anthony Lynn being ridiculously conservative or whether Herbert really, truly isn't ready . A question we can't really answer with what we know

Grittybeard posted:

This is one of those games where the stats don't tell the story. 26/38 for 312 is what happened, but it sure as hell wasn't a dangerous 300 yard game.

That awful, awful interception at the end of the first half too.

Yeah Brees was major garbo. Basically all his yards came after the catch, on short passes and crossing routes and swing passes and screens and such. Looked totally afraid to throw it downfield at all. I wouldn't put it past him to shape up big time but right now he's looking cooked

That INT to some big chungus run-stuffing linebacker was crazy too. Just got pressured at his feet and threw it right to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Lol at thinking Michael Thomas is even top 3 in his own division

yeah i mean he had zero yards in this game what the hell is up with that