Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rinkles posted:

They added a settings bug where you can't exit the settings! It works from the main menu before loading a save, though.

i dont have that bug it seems, can exit the settings just fine in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I only played long enough to test that settings wouldn’t reset but on PS5 I was struck immediately by how much sharper things appeared to be, and a bunch of things in the city suddenly have lighting or particle effects they didn’t have before. I don’t know how that’s possible because the patch notes didn’t mention anything about graphics for the PS version but I would put money on it.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

...i'm a witcher

Your mother sucks dwarf cock

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m not sure what it says about me or my taste but oh man I am so ready to jump into 2077 and see what this patch did! I’m excited to see if the lighting is improved. It’s gorgeous when it’s right.

It’s like once every 10 years I need a big deal busted piece of poo poo open world rpg to make everything right in my life :unsmith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
its funny because I typically bounce of of Skyrim type games very easily, but the set & setting of Night City combined with the combat mean this is my favorite FPSRPG ever made pretty easily. The gunplay is much tighter than i was anticipating, once they mop up the bugs and fix driving (they literally cannot leave it this way, the vehicles are practically unusable as is) it's gonna be one of the all-time greats.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm thankful every day that, while it's expensive, I have gigabit internet with no data cap (I was transferring like 1tb a day during a major backup situation and never heard a thing from my ISP).

I'm pretty sure that there are different types of patches on PS4. There's definitely a "gently caress everything and just redownload it all" patch type, it's been done several times for Overwatch and certain games that famously decreased in size (Destiny 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Spyro trilogy).

I think that if a game doesn't do this, the PS5 requires that the unpatched 1.00 be left intact somewhere, which is why some games like The Division 2 and Cyberpunk are considerably larger on PS4 (by like 40ish gigs) than on other platforms, I think because that data is usable as a baseline for future delta patches to make them less heavy and probably less complicated (so when you're like 5 patches deep they can still just release a single 1.00->1.05 delta patch and it'll work for everyone including all the 1.01-1.04 versions).

I played the base PS4 version of Cyberpunk yesterday for like an hour to get a feel for how it runs. In a general sense it doesn't seem there's been meaningful performance improvements, and I still got some weird graphical and physics glitch stuff in the city. It might crash less now but no miracles beyond that I don't think.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I only played long enough to test that settings wouldn’t reset but on PS5 I was struck immediately by how much sharper things appeared to be, and a bunch of things in the city suddenly have lighting or particle effects they didn’t have before. I don’t know how that’s possible because the patch notes didn’t mention anything about graphics for the PS version but I would put money on it.

other people are saying the lod looks worse now and theres a reduction in car and npc density but i havent noticed anyhing like that yet.

edit: yeah i went looking for lod issues and i havent seen any like i saw in a twitter video that, no weird popin and density looks better than the last time i played so eh? also not getting this system menu cant close bug also didnt get the settings reset everytime bug. i didnt start this game until patch 1.04 tho so maybe its that? i dont know, poo poo seems rng.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 19, 2020

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So I've got a LG B8 OLED... Can I not do HDR and 4k at the same time? It seems to be one or the other for me. Any insight?

Maybe I'm being dense...

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Krime posted:

So I've got a LG B8 OLED... Can I not do HDR and 4k at the same time? It seems to be one or the other for me. Any insight?

Maybe I'm being dense...

Might be only a specific HDMI port can do both. That’s how it is for some Sonys and Samsungs.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Krime posted:

Maybe I'm being dense...

You should probably buy an ultra high speed HDMI cable from monoprice. I believe that's what's required to do 4k120.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

withoutclass posted:

You should probably buy an ultra high speed HDMI cable from monoprice. I believe that's what's required to do 4k120.

HDMI 2.1 is only needed for 120, and that’s if your tv even supports that input.

Like others said, it may be only one or two of your HDMI inputs will do 4K with HDR.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In some cases you might have to explicitly enable HDR support. My Samsung TV supports 4K HDR on all ports but defaults to HDR support being turned off on each one and I have no idea why.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

man nurse posted:

HDMI 2.1 is only needed for 120, and that’s if your tv even supports that input.

Like others said, it may be only one or two of your HDMI inputs will do 4K with HDR.

You also need a cable that supports enough bandwidth to deliver it, which ultra high/8k is needed for 4k120 as far as I can tell. Then again they don't make it easy to figure this stuff out, but from what I saw high speed only does 4k60.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

so uh are PS5s still basically sold out everywhere or what. is there even like projections on when theyll be moving out another big shipment?

feel like it hasn’t been this actually impossible to find a console since like the PS2 or Wii or something. even when the Switch was supposedly not available anywhere I just walked into a target and bought one

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It was months before you could walk into a store and just buy a switch, at least in my corner of the world. I actually bought mine off of some dude in a parking lot for over retail price months into its launch (no ragrets)

I'm sure the Rona is only making things more complicated but yeah console launches usually go like this and the industry keeps growing year after year so this sounds about right

seems like people are having decent luck with Walmart though, keep at it fellow goon!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mandrel posted:

so uh are PS5s still basically sold out everywhere or what. is there even like projections on when theyll be moving out another big shipment?

feel like it hasn’t been this actually impossible to find a console since like the PS2 or Wii or something. even when the Switch was supposedly not available anywhere I just walked into a target and bought one
Unlike Nvidia's GPUs, there's no "wave" planned ahead. A lot of shops did receive a bunch of PS5s out of nowhere and put it up for sale soon after, but nothing beyond that.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

KingSlime posted:

It was months before you could walk into a store and just buy a switch, at least in my corner of the world. I actually bought mine off of some dude in a parking lot for over retail price months into its launch (no ragrets)

I'm sure the Rona is only making things more complicated but yeah console launches usually go like this and the industry keeps growing year after year so this sounds about right

seems like people are having decent luck with Walmart though, keep at it fellow goon!

yeah I mean to be fair I’m pretty sure my Switch situation was very flukey. it was right after launch and like they must have just gotten in a small shipment and my dumb rear end just happened to be wandering by the electronics section on a grocery run and picked one up. it was still months after that I was hearing they were impossible to find

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My girlfriend started looking for a Switch for my birthday 3 months beforehand and she couldn’t find one until the week before, that was last year.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Thanks for the responses... I'll try messing around with things when I get a free minute

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Mandrel posted:

They’re sort of drip releasing them at various retailers and through Sony directly. You kinda have to follow various Twitter accounts like Wario64 and Solelinks to really even have a shot because they get bought up within seconds usually.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I found a Sony dualsense charging station all alone and forlorn at a local Shoppers Drug Mart, so I took it home to give it a warm and safe place to live as a Christmas present. I’m very selfless.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How’s the single player campaign on COD: Cold War compared to the other COD games? It’s on sale at the PSN store and I’ve got some funbux to spend.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Krime posted:

Maybe I'm being dense...

You might have to go into your settings on the TV where you can change what HDMi signal is being used for each port, I had to change my new Sonys inputs to "Enhanced Format" to get 4K HDR or 120fps to work.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jose Oquendo posted:

How’s the single player campaign on COD: Cold War compared to the other COD games? It’s on sale at the PSN store and I’ve got some funbux to spend.

I have played Cold War's campaign and the last CoD campaigns I played before that is BLOPS 2 and Ghosts. So I can't compare it to the later single player games but I can say is if you like 80s popcorn spy thrillers then it's fine and worth it. I did figure out the ending pretty early though which took some of the wind out of its sails.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Jose Oquendo posted:

I wouldn’t buy it just for the single player campaign as I felt it was pretty short. It was enjoyable though. Fun 80’s popcorn spy movie nonsense.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Jose Oquendo posted:

As a person who normally only plays cod for campaigns, I really enjoyed it. There's some replay ability and it's overall pretty fun setting.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I almost don't want CoD for free at the moment because its install size is like 135gb, god drat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

I almost don't want CoD for free at the moment because its install size is like 135gb, god drat.

Yeah that really kills my desire to try the free week.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

withoutclass posted:

You also need a cable that supports enough bandwidth to deliver it, which ultra high/8k is needed for 4k120 as far as I can tell. Then again they don't make it easy to figure this stuff out, but from what I saw high speed only does 4k60.

Is this real or is this a left handed washer fluid thing? Because if this is real that would explain why I can't get my PS5 to do HDR. I'm not using the same cable as I did with the PS4.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Th cable I got with my ps5 is running 4k HDR and the 120fps modes on my Sony x90 fine.

Like said before mine can only achieve this on inputs 3 and 4, I had to go into some settings on my tv after updating to the 120fps system update.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doctor Zero posted:

Is this real or is this a left handed washer fluid thing?
It's real and dumb because the cables have no distinctions so gently caress you if you just tossed some HDMI cords together in a bin.

There's a whole mess of complications to getting 4k HDR 60fps bullshit working like:

* Proper Cable
* Proper HDMI Port
>> Proper HDMI Port with the correct color 4:4:2 bullshit enabled in the TV menu
* Proper pass through in the Audio equipment if you're passing through a sound bar or receiver

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Doctor Zero posted:

Is this real or is this a left handed washer fluid thing? Because if this is real that would explain why I can't get my PS5 to do HDR. I'm not using the same cable as I did with the PS4.

It's absolutely a real thing, the best part is that you often can't trust the labeling on the cables, for example on Amazon there are plenty of cables that won't do what they claim to. I recommend going to Monoprice, they are actually reliable when it comes to cables.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Doctor Zero posted:

It's absolutely real. You want an 18Gbps HDMI cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15428

Vietnom nom nom posted:

Warning to anyone looking at that cable, that's just an HDMI 2.0 cable NOT HDMI 2.1

If you want 4k/120hz (like if you just bought a new LG CX TV or something), you'll need an HDMI 2.1 cable like the following:
https://www.amazon.com/48Gbps-Compatible-Netflix-Playstation-Samsung/dp/B07S1CGQ9Z/

Those are rated for 48 Gbps and are HDMI 2.1 certified.

The monoprice equivalent would be this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31229

The cable with the PS5 of course works as well, these are just if you want another for whatever reason.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 20, 2020

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I spent like an hour swapping cables and poo poo when I got my PS5 - turns out only 2 of the 4 ports on my ~hisense~ TV support 4K60hz. So stupid.

Overall love my ps5 and astro was incredible but wish there were more actual ps5... games.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The cable that comes with the PS5 is HDMI 2.1 compatible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC2kVsubQnQ&t

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My Sony tv I had to change the hdmi ports to wide bandwidth or something

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Voltage posted:

I spent like an hour swapping cables and poo poo when I got my PS5 - turns out only 2 of the 4 ports on my ~hisense~ TV support 4K60hz. So stupid.

Variants of this practice are pretty standard across most brands. I assume it's a way of keeping costs down. Or something. I dunno. It's very frustrating.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Rusty posted:

The cable that comes with the PS5 is HDMI 2.1 compatible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC2kVsubQnQ&t

Yeah the problem is that when I put the PS5 in the entrainment center I moved everything around so I have no idea what is what but I am 100% positive it’s not the same cable I was using before.

:sigh: the three pack from mono price is cheap enough though I guess I’ll just get that and make sure I’m using those for everything. Thanks gunes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When I got a 4k tv about 5 months back, it never occured to me until I got a PS5 that a bunch of issues I had with PS4 cutting out were probably related to using an old HDMI cable that I probably just grabbed out of a basket. Like, I knew it was probably HDMI related but wasn't even aware that the cables came in different speeds now. Of course after getting a PS5 and using the pack in cable solved all of that. I actually almost used the same cable because I was too lazy to unplug it lol.

Everything about TVs and Audio/video stuff has gotten way more confusing and less user friendly in the last few years while on the surface it looks like exactly the same kind of purchase. It's like hobbyist poo poo being sold to normals who have no idea how to best utilize it and getting the best results takes a decent bit of effort as well as looking at guides online and having some sort of troubleshooting skills to begin with. I'd love to see what some of these boomers who have bought 4k TVs have them set up like. Probably a bunch of $1800 4K TVs hooked into a DVD player from 2003 via A/V cables and set to 4:3 lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Anyone get a GameStop bundle and successfully return or exchange your unwanted components? No one I know is interested in nba2k. My friend I bought the console for wants the rest of the bundle said she’d claim the whole shebang, but I don’t want to stick her with a game I know she won’t play.