Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like that Moroha is basically girl Inuyasha (even down to the voice). Towa seems fun as well while Setsuna appears to take after her dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Lol at the people crying that Kagome is upset at Inuyasha for hiding poo poo from her.

"WAAAH WHY CAN'T SHE JUST BE SUBMISSIVE AND LET HIM DO WHAT HE WANTS?"

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Kagome says she trusts Inuyasha and then immediately uses the beads to punish him. I know its a slapstick gag but it feels like abuse when I see it now.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Lamebot posted:

Kagome says she trusts Inuyasha and then immediately uses the beads to punish him. I know its a slapstick gag but it feels like abuse when I see it now.

Inuyasha was hiding poo poo from her when he should have trusted her, which is what upset her. Wouldn't that hurt you if someone you loved didn't have enough faith to be honest with you?

Like in the anime I could understand it more, especially when they add poo poo like her sitting him for not liking her cooking, but here I thought she had a good reason to be upset at Inuyasha more, and she was more mature about it than in the original, even if she still used the command.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 3, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't watched a Viz anime in years and even then I mainly was still buying DVD or bluray sets.

What is going on with the dub? It hasn't been dubbed yet? But no smulcast? Do they stream their dubs with their own subscription stream service?

I'd be happy to pay for this but I just don't know how or when.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't watched a Viz anime in years and even then I mainly was still buying DVD or bluray sets.

What is going on with the dub? It hasn't been dubbed yet? But no smulcast? Do they stream their dubs with their own subscription stream service?

I'd be happy to pay for this but I just don't know how or when.

They've announced a dub, but we're probably not getting it for a long time.

As for simulcast, Ani-One, Hulu, Crunchyroll and Funimation are streaming it with subs

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So on the Japanese side of things, have any of the actresses for our new trio been in anything notable prior to this?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

So on the Japanese side of things, have any of the actresses for our new trio been in anything notable prior to this?

Setsuna's VA is probably the most well known, and her notable roles include Joey in Heroman, Sei in Gundam Build Fighters and Marika in Bodacious Space Pirates. She's also going to be playing Rebecca in next years adaptation of Eden's Zero.

Moroha's VA is less well known, as her most notable role is Aoi in Aikatsu. Her other main roles are Ctholly in World's End, Fino Bloodstone in Yu-Shibu, and Kaguya in Kandagawa Jet Girls.

Finally, Towa's VA is pretty much a newbie, as her only other notable role prior to Yashahime is, ironically, Namida in Boruto

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neat, so off topic does that mean the cast list for Eden’s Zero is already out? If so, are any Fairy Tail alumni returning?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Only Shiki, Rebecca and Happy's VA have been announced, and Rie Kugiyama is returning from Fairty Tail, but that's it for now.

It's kind of crazy to see just how much of Takahahi's works share a lot of the same VA.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Only Shiki, Rebecca and Happy's VA have been announced, and Rie Kugiyama is returning from Fairty Tail, but that's it for now.

It's kind of crazy to see just how much of Takahahi's works share a lot of the same VA.

Yeah, didn’t both Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 use a large chunk of the same voice cast for both the Japanese and English versions for that matter?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larryb posted:

Yeah, didn’t both Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 use a large chunk of the same voice cast for both the Japanese and English versions for that matter?

It's been many, many years since I watched a bit of the Ranma anime because I quickly stopped when I realized how much it didn't align with the manga. But I recall reading Richard Ian Cox - the voice of Inuyasha from start to finish - eventually took over as the voice of Ranma. He definitely wasn't Ranma's VA at first. I have no idea who originally voiced Ranma but Cox's voice is unmistakable and Ranma's original dub VA had none of that raspy quality.

Paul Dobson of Myoga/Naraku fame was Happosai which is oddly fitting in that he used the old man Myoga voice for Happosai but Happosai is an evil on par with Naraku so it works.

And there might have been others.

I haven't heard an Ocean dub in years and years. They did Ranma and Inuyasha but it's so rareto hear Canadian dubs these days it seems so I hope this new anime is given by Viz to Ocean if it is at all possible and if Cox and Sheridan (Sango) and Morrow (Miroku) are still around.

Man, last time I followed all of them was like a decade ago now when Final Act was coming. I looked up Cox interviews at cons, vlogs with Sheridan and Dobson, desperate to see when the dub was coming. It took way too long and then it loving sucked. Not their fault, The Final Act was just terrible as the pacing was awful and cut out so much from the manga. That's another thing IY and FT have in common, I love them to pieces but their final anime were huge disappointments.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Going by Wikipedia, Cox hasn’t done any acting work since 2017. Not sure about the others though (we also don’t know how much the old cast will have to work with going forward now that we’re done with the pilot), but it would be nice if they got back as many of the old actors as they could.

Moneca Stori (Kagome) and David Kaye (Sesshomaru) are likely out of the question but their Final Act replacements weren’t that bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, Stori being gone was another reason I really didn't care for Final Act. Inuyasha has a special place in my heart given when I started watching it and it just wasn't the same, to use a cliche. Kagome was always my favorite character and still is.

I saw an interview with Kaye when this new anime was first announced where he said he'd be fine with returning as Sesshomaru but obviously they'd have to hire it out to a studio wherever he lives.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

So am I the only that was impressed with Miroku's new VA? He sounded close to how Kōji Tsujitani did in the original and Final Act

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

So am I the only that was impressed with Miroku's new VA? He sounded close to how Kōji Tsujitani did in the original and Final Act

Yup, he sounded almost identical to me. Nice job on their part (now the only question is how much said actor is actually going to get to do going forward).

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Yup, he sounded almost identical to me. Nice job on their part (now the only question is how much said actor is actually going to get to do going forward).

Please let him voice Seabook/Kincade in the Crossbone Gundam anime that will never happen

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
It was great seeing the old gang again, and I already really like Towa.

Setsuna definitely gives off Sesshoumaru vibes and Moroha seems fun. I hope we get a good helping of adult Kohaku as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For a second I forgot the backstory and actually assumed Towa was Kagome’s kid as she kind of struck me as a slightly more confident version of her.

Setsuna and Moroha definitely take after their dads though (also I appreciate the latter’s VA doing her damndest to imitate Kappei Yamaguchi‘s performance).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Larryb posted:

For a second I forgot the backstory and actually assumed Towa was Kagome’s kid as she kind of struck me as a slightly more confident version of her.

Setsuna and Moroha definitely take after their dads though (also I appreciate the latter’s VA doing her damndest to imitate Kappei Yamaguchi‘s performance).

Towa was brought up by Kagome's family, wasn't she?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

Towa was brought up by Kagome's family, wasn't she?

She’s Sesshomaru’s daughter but she was raised in the present by Kagome’s little brother Souta, yes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't heard an Ocean dub in years and years. They did Ranma and Inuyasha but it's so rareto hear Canadian dubs these days it seems so I hope this new anime is given by Viz to Ocean if it is at all possible and if Cox and Sheridan (Sango) and Morrow (Miroku) are still around.

Morrow is still around and doing voicework, my nephew was watching Lego Ninjago and he was unmistakable in it.

Funimation’s rise plus our dollar hitting parity really hurt Canadian dubbing.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1314025732750807040

Looks like Yashahime will be a 24 episode series. That's for the best honestly - I don't want this to drag like Boruto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1314025732750807040

Looks like Yashahime will be a 24 episode series. That's for the best honestly - I don't want this to drag like Boruto.

Though to be fair, Boruto is based on a monthly manga that’s still running while this is 100% anime only.

That said, this seems kind of short but as long as the story and pacing are decent this could still work. We’ll see I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And today the show starts for real showing the origins of our new protagonists and what appears to be a Shikon Jewel replacement of some kind.

Nice episode though, Setsuna sort of a reminds me of a female version of Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho in a sense. Also I can’t tell but is Kagome’s grandfather still voiced by the same guy?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 10, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

My wild theory right now is that the Rainbow Pearls are in fact the sealed away souls of their missing parents. Probably Red = Inuyasha, Gold = Sessomaru, Silver = Kagome? Or maybe some other permutation

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

So wait, did Sesshomaru just let his kids wander off into the woods alone?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m also curious where these random time portals are coming from all of a sudden.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

I’m also curious where these random time portals are coming from all of a sudden.

I'm pretty sure that in one of the interviews, Sumisawa (the lead writer) stated that they got the idea of the Sacred Tree acting as a Time Portal from an idea presented in the first movie, where the Well is made of the same wood as the Sacred Tree.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, so they actually may be explaining a bit about how the well works in this series then (which the original just sort of glossed over)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

So who'd be more likely to actually abandon their kid, Inuyasha or Sesshomaru? I'm going with Sessshomaru, just because he's a lot more aloof than Inuyasha

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm pretty much assuming neither abandoned their kids and there's some kind of shenanigans afoot.

Edit: vvv I meant some outside force took away their parents somehow

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 10, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Fangz posted:

I'm pretty much assuming neither abandoned their kids and there's some kind of shenanigans afoot.

Why are Towa and Setsuna by themselves in the forest, and sleep there at night alone?

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 10, 2020

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

the dogcatcher youkai made his pass through japan at a very unfortunate time

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

i'm still wondering why kohaku and hisui don't recognize moroha.

also wondering where sesshomaru (and by extension, the mother) is in the flashback with towa and setsuna.

I thought Kohaku actually recognized Moroha, but is giving her an amount of deference equal to a fellow bounty hunter (whose intent is to assist, rather than assault, the local villagers) rather than a close friend or mentor.

My take is that Moroha may be acting on her own volition without receiving a request from the village. The demon hunter group was actually hired by the village to take care of the monster.

The event that took Kagome, Inuyasha, and Sess and Rin? probably happened well before the 2nd episode and is still a mystery. I wonder how long they'll just hint about it until they actually openly discuss it for once.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

like, Kohaku knows Inuyasha and can trust him but I kinda doubt they'll be best buddies and randomly show up at the village to throw back a brewski (or sake) and catch up on old times

Moroha seems to prefer a lone wolf lifestyle and is very hard to make close buddies. Kohaku has a village to run, probably just keeps an ear out for her welfare and otherwise just leaves her alone. But this is all speculation of course.

We don't even hear about Sango and Miroku's two eldest daughters, which is more serious :ohdear: to me

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

starbucks hermit posted:

I thought Kohaku actually recognized Moroha, but is giving her an amount of deference equal to a fellow bounty hunter (whose intent is to assist, rather than assault, the local villagers) rather than a close friend or mentor.

My take is that Moroha may be acting on her own volition without receiving a request from the village. The demon hunter group was actually hired by the village to take care of the monster.

The event that took Kagome, Inuyasha, and Sess and Rin? probably happened well before the 2nd episode and is still a mystery. I wonder how long they'll just hint about it until they actually openly discuss it for once.

Shouldn't Kohaku know that Moroha has some spiritual power?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

Shouldn't Kohaku know that Moroha has some spiritual power?

Kohaku should maybe know that Moroha is Inuyasha's daughter. Which should yield some spiritual power in its own right. But the whole thing about the rainbow pearls sounds like a relatively more recent development. (in that maybe people who are not moroha may not have realized their existence until recently)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This is a cursed timeline.

How did Artaru of all people fall so far?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sesshomaru is definitely the kind of guy who thinks leaving his kids alone in the woods for a couple decades to figure stuff out is good parenting.