Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

i'm still wondering why kohaku and hisui don't recognize moroha.

also wondering where sesshomaru (and by extension, the mother) is in the flashback with towa and setsuna.

I thought Kohaku actually recognized Moroha, but is giving her an amount of deference equal to a fellow bounty hunter (whose intent is to assist, rather than assault, the local villagers) rather than a close friend or mentor.

My take is that Moroha may be acting on her own volition without receiving a request from the village. The demon hunter group was actually hired by the village to take care of the monster.

The event that took Kagome, Inuyasha, and Sess and Rin? probably happened well before the 2nd episode and is still a mystery. I wonder how long they'll just hint about it until they actually openly discuss it for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

like, Kohaku knows Inuyasha and can trust him but I kinda doubt they'll be best buddies and randomly show up at the village to throw back a brewski (or sake) and catch up on old times

Moroha seems to prefer a lone wolf lifestyle and is very hard to make close buddies. Kohaku has a village to run, probably just keeps an ear out for her welfare and otherwise just leaves her alone. But this is all speculation of course.

We don't even hear about Sango and Miroku's two eldest daughters, which is more serious :ohdear: to me

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

Shouldn't Kohaku know that Moroha has some spiritual power?

Kohaku should maybe know that Moroha is Inuyasha's daughter. Which should yield some spiritual power in its own right. But the whole thing about the rainbow pearls sounds like a relatively more recent development. (in that maybe people who are not moroha may not have realized their existence until recently)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

So question for the thread - I've noticed some complaints online that the story in Yashahime is confusing for some people, but at least for me, it isn't really confusing. Plus, I think that keeping things vague for now keeps me hooked and speculative as to what will happen next. I think the issue for me at least is that the pacing is a little too fast. What do you all think?

it doesn't seem confusing to me, but I can see how the story tries to play with what the audience expects to see. After the first episode, we expect to see the original six hale and healthy but only Kirara is around in the second episode (although Miroku is expected to show up next). We expect Sess to have abandoned his daughters but it's clear by the end of episode 4 that this may have been a carefully calculated strategic decision to right his own sins (using his daughters as a tool, no less). Some people may have expected to see Root Head as a recurring joke villain that has to be constantly tricked to access the time portal but now we expect that he's completely dead now. It's the constant subversion of expectations that helps keep my interest in the story but is probably confusing to others.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Did anyone notice that the Dried Kappa Foot was in the very first episode of Inuyasha, a gift that Kagome rejected because she thought it was some fake revenue-generating trinket? I love how callbacks like these are so invisible but mean so much to fans of the original series.

Also, I like the whole idea of the d&d bag of holding that will somehow have whatever modern item is needed to address an issue in the sengoku age. Maybe the reference to English might actually be relevant?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

So why didn't Sota tell Moroha about Inuyasha and Kagome? He could have invited her while he was looking at the photo album?

Also, I liked the episode, but I wish we could have spent a little more time with them in the present.

My guess is that he won't broach the topic unless she asks about it because he doesn't know Moroha that well. Maybe Moroha doesn't really care right now (due to a need to stay alive, she only cares about the present, while Towa has the luxury to study the past). Maybe Towa will be the only person to recognize Kagome by sight, although she didn't react when she saw "Kikyo".

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Corpse dealer is giving me Jakku "one quarter portion" vibes, except the relationship seems much less antagonistic

Also, this episode revealed that Moroha actually took her rainbow pearl from one of the Four Perils. The answers just keep raising more questions. Did she really have it and Tokotsu pulled it out of her and she can't remember? Otherwise, how did it manifest in the first place and how did Tokotsu get ahold of it? It's these questions that keep me interested in the story.

No word yet on how she got the rouge but maybe Myoga recovered it from a different source?

Willo567 posted:

I'm kinda starting to feel irritated by Yashahime. I feel like the pacing is too quick, and that conversations that the characters should be having (Kaede wondering who this white haired girl that Moroha and Setsuna brought back to them, Kagome's family asking Moroha about her mother, etc.) aren't happening to play up the mystery of the show, and it's not going anywhere right now, aside from Sesshomaru and Rin.

I can see where you're coming from. I think it's an issue of multiple factors at play (having to reel in a new generation of audience, fitting a grand story in one season, etc). I hope there are quieter episodes later in the season when these topics can be explored to the extent that they should. But I think we'll have to settle for letting the monster-of-the-week episodes do the character and relationship exploration for now.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Fangz posted:

That seems a super tenuous reason, especially since Towa's end goal currently is that all three of them go live in the modern world, which would render all such debts irrelevant. And like it'd not really clear how Moroha could be legitimately in that much debt anyway.

My sort of guess right now is that Moroha is aiming to buy her parents' freedom somehow.

Part of me says that it's like the case with Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop, where you are saddled with an incredible debt from childhood that can never be paid off, due to a decision that you likely had no choice in making. If that's the case, then Moroha (once she's older and wiser) could renegotiate the terms to keep the obligation in good faith or ignore the debt entirely.

But I'm hoping that the debt is more of a ruse to keep her coming back to the Corpse Dealer so that the latter can keep an eye on her. It can't be denied that Kaede is getting on in years, so when the inevitable happens then there would be nothing to keep Moroha in the area while she's still growing up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

I'm not even sure why they wouldn't make the child of the previous main characters an important character, even if she isn't the main focus and they wanted a different type of protagonist for the sequel.

At this point I'm frustrated, because in episodes 2 and 5, Moroha looked to be a pretty kick rear end fighter despite being a 1/4 demon, and it helped to continue a major theme of the original anime/manga, that just because you have less/more demon or human blood doesn't make you inferior to either (Inuyasha beating that dragon yokai that killed his dad, Shirori being able to adjust her barrier despite her Yokai grandfather being unable to do so himself).

It should have continued with her still being able to keep up and match with Towa and Setsuna IMO. Instead, Moroha is treated like a joke, and the show treats Towa and Setsuna like they're the most amazing people on the planet because their father is a daiyokai.

I think it's more of avoiding the Miroku solution. We have a character that is generally known to be incredibly powerful, and we can't have this lovable gremlin solve every issue or else there is no tension. But the writing is better (as in - lower immunity to poison, knocking away her rouge, having her conveniently absent, etc) than just bringing out the poisonous bees.

Also, as the audience stand-in (or whatnot), Towa will likely get top billing among the three, and she has only one priority - getting her sister to dream again. I think Moroha will only be written in if the plot allows it.

But I hope she's included a lot more, since she's my favorite character as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

The difference is that unlike Miroku, Moroha's powers aren't game breaking

She has about a minute of pretty limitless power. And even without that, she can use purifying arrows.

So maybe not 100% gamebreaking but she has held her own for quite a long time.

So, this is a bit of a difference of interpretation. I think her demon percentage bloodline doesn't factor into how other people view her or her actual power (beyond speculation) or her prevalence in the plot. I think her involvement in any episode is primarily linked to how it can be relevant to Towa's story. And I agree that the current writing leaves Moroha's character development shortchanged.

I can certainly be wrong, but it's how I see it for now.