Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Newsletter #6:

kumba posted:

there is a dev hangout thing scheduled for 2pm (Eastern US) on March 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc6cm10hPPQ

Previous Newsletters!

Announcement Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7thyJjHhE6U&t=1880s

TL;DR
  • UO New Legacy is the first new official shard since 2005
  • As it's a new shard and no transfers from other shards are allowed, the entire economy is reset, all housing spots are open, everyone resets from the beginning
  • Custom ruleset - no trammel/felucca separation, but also not totally unrestricted world pvp - they alluded to some "Vice vs Virtue" system which sounds like Order v Chaos
  • This is specifically NOT intended to be an actual ""Classic"" shard, but is meant to be much closer to that than what the game has become
  • Humans only (e.g. none of that gargoyle or elf garbage)
  • Simplification of stats on armor
  • ..Seasons? They mentioned something called "The Shattering" wherein the shard gives you a chance to transfer your existing characters off before an annual reset.
  • No release date or ballpark or ETA or anything of that kind yet, but there's a newsletter you can signup for if you want to here

Full FAQ from UO.com:

quote:

Q: What is Ultima Online: New Legacy?
Ultima Online reigns as one of the longest-running MMORPGs of all time! For 23 years countless players have forged a legacy in the living, breathing world that is Britannia. Now, for the first time in 15 years, we are welcoming new players and old to forge their Britannian Legacy in a brand new shard focused on returning Ultima Online to its fundamental roots as an RPG.

Q: What is an Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?
Ultima Online: New Legacy is a new server that launches with the original map of Britannia using a customized ruleset focused on a core RPG experience.

We have completely rethought, reworked, and redesigned several core gameplay experiences with the goal of rekindling the classic feel of Ultima Online – focused on keeping true to the roots of Ultima as an RPG!

At the core of this experience is your new Britannian Legacy. Throughout gameplay you will be living your avatar’s quests throughout Britannia with each adventure . Where will you go? What battles will you fight? Will you rejoice in victory or taste bitter defeat? What friends will you make? What enemies will you best? The choice will be yours as you forge your new Britannian Legacy – a legacy that will be told for generations to come!

Q: Is Ultima Online: New Legacy an Ultima Online Classic Shard?
There is no magic dial to turn back Ultima Online to a specific era. Times have changed and expectations have moved past what the landscape of MMORPGs was like in 1997 and beyond. So in short, no, this is not a 1:1 recreation of a classic UO server in any given era. What we have done, however, is to rekindle the magic and nostalgia that drives the core desire to experience a classic server. As we have stated, we have completely rethought, reworked, and redesigned several core gameplay experiences with the goal of rekindling the classic experience of Ultima Online – focused on keeping true to the roots of Ultima as an RPG!

Q: What are the core gameplay experiences you have rethought, redesigned, and reworked to rekindle the roots of Ultima Online as an RPG?
With a franchise that dates back to the 1970s, a game world that has been live since 1997, and over 85 years of combined game development experience on the team, we have seen and learned a thing or two! Our primary focus with Ultima Online: New Legacy has been to take that experience and apply lessons learned to create a new world where players can experience the classic nostalgia that has made Ultima Online a game like no other for over 20 years! We have expanded upon what works, redesigned what does not, and improved the game world as our technical limitations have expanded all while not being hindered by the limitations of an elder game world.

From the game world, to skill & gear progression, to resource gathering & crafting, to socializing & PvP we have strived to make gameplay as immersive and intuitive as possible.

At the heart of all these experiences is the goal of every character on Ultima Online: New Legacy – a chance to live your Britannian Legacy and forge your place in history for generations to come via the all-new Legacy System!

In the coming months we will be highlighting these features in our monthly newsletters, so signup if you have not already!

Q: What is the Legacy System?
The Legacy System is the engine by which you write your avatar’s story as they live their life in Britannia. Imagine writing a memoir, but instead of using words on a page after the experience has concluded you instead live those experiences in real time within the world to be seen by generations to come. Earn special commendations and medals for acts of Virtue, become the subject of epic tales found in libraries throughout the realm, be memorialized as a true Britannian hero with statues, paintings and busts and build a family name to be preserved for future generations of your avatar – all this and more will be possible with the Legacy System!

Q: What is different about Ultima Online: New Legacy versus live Ultima Online?
Ultima Online: New Legacy is a completely custom ruleset server. While the fundamentals of gameplay remain the same between a live server and Ultima Online: New Legacy the implementation of those fundamentals has been redesigned to focus on the roots of Ultima as an RPG.

At the conclusion of each season of Ultima Online: New Legacy the world will end in a cataclysmic event and will be reborn with fresh adventures to be had and a new legacy to be forged!

Q: How many Ultima Online New Legacy Shards will there be at launch and where will it be located?
There will be one Ultima Online: New Legacy shard at launch located in the US.

Q: Who is eligible? Do I have to pay to access Ultima Online: New Legacy or can I access it with an Endless Journey account?
Both active Endless Journey accounts and paid subscription (veteran) accounts will be able to access the Ultima Online: New Legacy.

Q: What will happen to the live game during development of Ultima Online: New Legacy?
We have spent the last several months rebuilding the back-end of our content tools so that we can release content while minimizing server publishes. These dynamic content tools will allow us to do global quests, “Treasures of” events, and Champ Spawns to support our upcoming Fall content schedule which includes The Black Gate, The Undead Lords, Forest of the Dark, and Tears of the Ice Dragon.

We will also continue to support the live game and address any critical issues as they arise.

Finally, some of the systems we are developing for Ultima Online: New Legacy will also have a place on live – which includes some often requested system enhancements. Be sure to sign up for the Ultima Online newsletter as we showcase these features in the coming months.

Q: What types of gameplay can I experience on an Endless Journey Account?
Endless Journey accounts will have similar restrictions to live UO. Additional restrictions will apply to content that is exclusively available to Ultima Online: New Legacy.

Q: Will there be housing?
There will be limited housing available for paid subscription (veteran) accounts which does not conflict with live UO housing. We will be taking a deeper dive into housing, and all features, in our upcoming newsletters – so signup if you have not already!

Q: Will you be releasing Ultima Online: New Legacy on other distribution platforms?
In order to enjoy Ultima Online: New Legacy you will simply need to download the client from UO.com and login to the game using your account credentials – it is as simple as that!

Q: When can I expect to play this shard?
At Broadsword we believe in quality in our games. We spend the time and resources to ensure our products are polished, tested, iterated, and smoothly launched. Ultima Online: New Legacy is our biggest and boldest endeavor in over a decade and we want to make sure we get it right – while we have a target release window in mind, our bigger and more important goal is getting it right and opening the shard when it is ready! You can stay up to date on our progress by signing up for the Ultima Online newsletter!

Q: Will there be rares? Server births?
There will be exclusive treasures to find on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard!

Q: What happens with the Shattering? Why should I spend any time on a shard that is going to ultimately reset all of my progress?
Ultima Online: New Legacy is about forging your new Britannian Legacy! While things like the economy and the game world will be reset during the Shattering, players will have an entire year to forge that legacy! In-game items and events will serve as mementos to that legacy that will be experienced by generations to come. This is your chance to write your character’s place into Britannia’s history!

Q: Will I be able to transfer to/off of the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?
Players will not be able to transfer to the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard. At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots. Non-shard bound items and items earned via the Legacy System can also be transferred off.

Q: Will there be live events on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?
Live events will offer your avatar the ability to earn unique rewards and recognition, especially as you forge your new Britannian legacy! The global events will help tell the story and immerse you into the narrative as you follow the lifecycle of the shard from start to finish – the question then, is how will you be part of that story?

Q: Can I play the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard with both clients?
Yes. The Ultima Online: New Legacy shard will support both the classic and enhanced clients.

Q: Will I be able to purchase items from the Ultima Store on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard? What happens to these items after the Shattering?
Yes. There will be a limited number of store items available on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard. Unless the purchased item is shard bound the item will be eligible for transfer after The Shattering.

Q: Will I be able to claim vet rewards on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard, what happens to these items after the shattering?
Players will not be able to claim veteran rewards on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard.

Q: Will there be open-world PvP?
The Ultima Online: New Legacy shard will support open world Player vs Player combat using an updated Vice Vs Virtue framework.

I'm cautiously optimistic. The entire development team for UO, at this point, is 6 people, but they seem passionate about the game and the idea of trying to return the game to its roots while also catering to the fact that games, and especially MMOs, have evolved a lot in the last 20 years.

kumba fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
This can only end badly unless they are going to turn off PVP or nerf someshit. Goons will instantly ruin it for everyone (or already have desipte the shard not even open yet?) :getin:

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

I mean, it will be worth seeing what they come up with maybe. Might be interesting -- I find UO revamps to hold my interest for a few months each time a decent one comes around.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
UO is a game that's so loving old, only people who know what they're doing want any part of it. It's for them. They'll never capture the magic because you need a lot of people who don't know what they're doing to make it fun.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
While that's mostly true, a fresh new ruleset and a total reset of everything putting everyone on roughly equal footing should still be fun assuming the ruleset isn't total poo poo. They made it abundantly clear that it is not meant as a true return to classic or the 'literally everywhere you go you are in danger' feeling of 1997

I've followed UO's FB group for a while and there's a surprising number of posts coming from new players who haven't played the game ever mixed with folks returning after a 20 year absence. It'll never return to its former glory, but I think there's enough nostalgia there that if they dial it in correctly, it could be a sleeper hit. Especially if it manages to pull away folks from private shards.

Like I said, cautiously optimistic. They couldn't even ballpark a timeline so this could still be a full year away and everything could change by then, who knows!

On a totally different note: a few months ago I contacted Broadsword about my account that has been inactive since 2002 - they managed to find it and reactivate it, so all that data still exists somehow?? I never did log in but this recent announcement has piqued my curiosity to look at what a horrorshow the game has probably become

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Meh... i'll check it out..

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 26, 2020

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

God damnit don’t get my hopes up w this poo poo and have it turn out to be lame

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I wanna be an elf elfs are cool why can't I be an elf

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I wonder if they're taking a hint from Everquest's Time Locked Progression servers. Those have been very successful in bringing in revenue for the game.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A proper time-locked progression server for UO probably wouldn't work anyway. Separating pvp with the renaissance expansion was such a fundamental shift in direction.

I guess I just don't understand what these rules are trying to address. You've got the original pre-trammel world but not the pre-trammel pvp, which afaik is still a big deal with classic UO players. Humans only and simpler stats on gear is also an appeal to pre-trammel. You've got the seasonal purge, which works for action rpgs because fresh content gets people to ignore the character purge, but this server doesn't appear to have fresh content really and the reset happens after one year. This whole brittanian legacy thing sounds like maybe seasonal achievements, which is a big pile of whatever.

This vice vs virtue system sounds like another pvp flag to me, but if they have something more complicated in mind, they need to spill the beans now. A handful of private shards have tried to change things with pvp to be more likeable with non-pvpers and failed, so I'm not optimistic.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Newsletter #6

kumba posted:

Newsletter #5
Announced a dev hangout for February oops got rescheduled until March

Newsletter #4

quote:

New Legacy: Feature Spotlight
Objective System

You step through a magical gate and find yourself in an unfamiliar world. What do you do next? Where do you venture to explore? What challenges await you on your path? What great treasures will be won?

Answering these questions has become the focus of our completely redesigned objective system. In Ultima Online: New Legacy we have reworked the way we introduce content into the game world. Our goal is to make every action feel as though it serves a broader purpose in pursuit of your character's goals. Completing objectives - whether it be in service to a farmer whose livestock have been terrorized by wolves or to a wealthy noble who has tasked you with recovering a valuable treasure - will become the chapters in your New Legacy!

Newsletter #3

quote:

Heraldry Banners
One of the core features of Ultima Online: New Legacy is our brand new legacy system! This system consists of several in-game items that will help forge your new Britannian Legacy! Players will be able to select a unique family surname to identify their characters for generations to come! One of the ways to showcase your family surname will be with Heraldry Banners. Heraldry Banners come with a number of customizable options including shape, color, and sigil!

Newsletter #2

quote:

The Game World - Weather & Climate

From the onset, our goal with Ultima Online: New Legacy has been to return UO to its roots as an RPG. In accomplishing this goal we decided to tackle one of the areas where we felt the game world could go the extra mile to feel more alive and immersive: weather & climate. Our artists have been busy creating assets to give us the power to create seasonality & weather within the game world. No longer will Britannia be a continent in perpetual summer with only aesthetic winters, but also a landscape rich in autumn color and springtime renewal. For the first time we introduce changing seasons as a backdrop for exciting events and unique encounters! The added dynamic of weather & climate allows us to go even further with presenting players with unique choices as they outfit themselves for the best chance of success while exploring the far reaches of the most extreme climate regions!

Newsletter #1

quote:

ICYMI: A New Shard for a New Legacy

Yesterday we celebrated the 23rd Anniversary of Ultima Online with a livestream event where we announced our next major project - Ultima Online: New Legacy!

In case you missed it you can watch a replay of the livestream and the announcement trailer on the Ultima Online YouTube channel! We have some great feature spotlights, dev hangouts, and livestreams planned for the channel so make sure you subscribe!

The response to UO: NL over the last 24 hours has been overwhelming to say the least! We have been inundated with questions about what UO: NL is all about. If you haven't already, you can check out the FAQ where we answer some common questions about what UO: NL will offer. We've also picked some prominent additional questions to answer - check em out below! We know there will be more questions as we press on so rest assured we will be keeping you up to date as often as we can! Again we want to thank everyone for the support and look forward to embarking on this New Legacy together!

Q: What era will this shard be like?

Our focus is to rethink, rework, and redesign the core Ultima Online gameplay experience and bring it back to its classic roots as an RPG. It is difficult to specifically state what era the shard will focus on because we are not attempting to recreate a 1:1 copy of any specific time in the lifecycle of the game world. That being said, the periods including The Second Age and Renaissance showcased a lot the simplistic and intuitive beauty that we are going for. That also is not to say we will not be including features from other eras as well - but hopefully this provides a way to think about how we want the game world to feel.

Q: I do not want to play a game where another player can kill me or steal from me - is the new shard a place for me? Is it consensual PvP and can I play without being harassed? How does Trammel/Felucca fit into the game?

The traditional concept of “Trammel and Felucca” does not apply to a UO: NL shard. There is only one facet (The World) and within that facet we will support those who like to participate in PvP via an updated Vice vs. Virtue framework while those who would rather participate in PvM content can do so without fear of being killed. That is not to say there will not be areas that will be free from danger - our primary design goal, however, is to give players the choice of participating or not.

Q: Will there be item insurance?

Our design goals include providing features in place to prevent loss of items, but also additional features to offer the thrill of risk vs. reward found in old school Ultima Online. We look forward to this being the topic of a future “Feature Spotlight” where we can dive deeper into the details of how we plan to deliver on this goal. One thing we can say for sure is that none of these features will look or feel like how item insurance works on UO: Live.

Q: Are items obtained from the Legacy System account bound?

Yes, anything obtained via the Legacy System is bound to your account. We will be taking a deeper dive into the Legacy System in a future “Feature Spotlight”.

Q: Why would I want to jump in 3 or 6 months before the Shattering? What incentive do I have to not feel “left behind”?

One of the primary design goals is to keep the power difference between low and high end players as reasonably small as possible - this will allow character development to happen on scale in line with the lifecycle of the shard. Whether you start on day 1 or day 200, there will still be a chance to forge your New Legacy.

Q: Will UO: NL be another Siege/Mugen?

No, we are not modeling UO: NL after Siege or Mugen in any way.

kumba fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 2, 2021

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Which shard was it they had where you'd log in, pick a color and just go ham on mass PVP with tricked out characters? That poo poo was the bees knees.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Givin posted:

Which shard was it they had where you'd log in, pick a color and just go ham on mass PVP with tricked out characters? That poo poo was the bees knees.

The Abyss

which eventually morphed into Test Center

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I am the legendary miner Freakazoid. My legacy is I mined and smelted more ore than anyone else.

quote:

Q: I do not want to play a game where another player can kill me or steal from me - is the new shard a place for me? Is it consensual PvP and can I play without being harassed? How does Trammel/Felucca fit into the game?

The traditional concept of “Trammel and Felucca” does not apply to a UO: NL shard. There is only one facet (The World) and within that facet we will support those who like to participate in PvP via an updated Vice vs. Virtue framework while those who would rather participate in PvM content can do so without fear of being killed. That is not to say there will not be areas that will be free from danger - our primary design goal, however, is to give players the choice of participating or not.

They said no pvp, but stealing isn't pvp :twisted:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Sign me the gently caress up let's go. I actually just linked my UO account to my MythicBroadsword account recently because I was getting nostalgic.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
bump because i forgot i made this thread and there were 3 (albeit tiny) newsletter updates since!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

kumba posted:

The Abyss

which eventually morphed into Test Center

The way that evolved was cool to live through at the time.. The Abyss would randomly pop up randomly, you'd spawn in and run through a moongate and become a monster with skills and gear depending on the gate, and people would not attack other monsters of the same type.
Then a holiday one called "Santa's Slay" popped up at Christmas and ran for a week that changed it all- this time you were human avatars instead of Air Elementals or whatever. I remember spawning in Trinsic the first day and some guy had blue dyetubs all over the ground around a Santa gate and was convincing everyone to dye their clothes blue. This snowballed and the whole server turned into blues vs reds (santas) vs greens (elves). There were the biggest battles I have ever seen in an mmo, just hundreds of people duking it out at the same time trying to take control of the Brit bank for hours at a time.
After that, test center popped up, and people immediately tried to revive the "Color Wars" thing by throwing down keeps in the desert. The GMs very quickly pounced on this and within a day set up a very well scripted capture the flag game with 6 color teams, and that ran for month (maybe years?), and was then the blueprint for the AoS factions.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Wanna make a poison vending crafting lunatic.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
bank guards vendor buy

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Turns out vice and virtue is a pvp flag. Brilliant work, guys.

I'm not sure I like their new take on stealing. Items stolen can't be sold/used/equipped and have to be "cleaned" by a fence. I'm not sure if that means you can't do anything with it but sell it for a fixed price, or if the fence literally cleans it with soap and water to remove its stolen status. It also sounds like you can't steal without the victim knowing and the window to get their revenge is opened wider.

They seem to recognize thieving is a one-sided affair but still came to the conclusion that it has to be player enforced. They also didn't say how they're going to handle stolen items via game mechanics trickery.

This whole thing doesn't sound promising.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the more I see about it the less interested I am, which is a shame cause I really wanted to like it but here we are

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

That’s dumb. My favorite character I’ve ever played in an mmo was a thief in UO. I hung out at the Ocllo bank most of the time.

That kinda kills my interest too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I never really cared about the value of an item I stole back in UO (unless it was that really stupid dude that put three house deeds into a bag,) I just liked stealing because it made some dude in a chair upset. It also made towns dangerous and not safe havens like pretty much every other mmorpg.

I guess it would be annoying not to be able to pay to feed yourself.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
so this gonna suck or?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
sounds good to me i dont like being robbed

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

FormerFatty posted:

so this gonna suck or?

there's a pvp flag so you specifically (and most of us here tbh) will absolutely hate it probably

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Biowarfare posted:

*steals your mandrake roots*

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Biowarfare posted:

I love carefully stacking individual pieces of leather hide over my lockbox for five minutes just to visit the bank.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Freakazoid_ posted:

I love carefully stacking individual pieces of leather hide over my lockbox for five minutes just to visit the bank.

*steals your indestructable supremely accurate silver katana of vanquishing*

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
drat I miss UO.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Selling 2 tubs of true black dye

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

*kills your pack horse full of ore as you're mining in the wilderness*

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Node posted:

*kills your pack horse full of ore as you're mining in the wilderness*

While you're at the bank my ghost blinks into existence to reveal I've followed you back and very upset about it, possibly having a meltdown.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

OOooooOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOoo
ooooOOOOO
oooOOOOOOooo

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

I remember setting a macro to blink into existence at half second intervals and just camping in a guilds town. There wasn't a gd thing they could do to get rid of seizure ghost.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

I played on some renaissance type server around 2003, it had a feature of typing "You see X looting the corpse of Y" above your head on the server side every time you looted off anyone's corpse.
The reason that is interesting is because you could set up same macro message to type that in the same font in chat, which would show up in the same spot above your head.
If anyone saw you looting someone in a town with that message and you were blue, it was generally assumed you were looting a PK and it was a free-for-all looting frenzy at that point.

So naturally I created 2nd account with a stealther, put a bunch of stuff on him to entice looting, killed myself in a busy spot near the bank in Minoc during off hours.
Then I ressed with a stealther near my own corpse, went into hiding, and started waiting for someone to come near.
When they did - I would start the macro that typed "You see X looting the corpse of Y" at a believable pace, and started moving items in my own corpse on 2nd account while in hiding.
To the observer it looked convincing, so naturally they began looting free stuff off of a red "PK", got flagged, I called guards and they were immediately killed. All that was left was to wait till guards despawned, loot them, recall and repeat that a few hours later or in another place.

Every once in a while I remember Ultima and what amazing of an experience it was and I realize I'd hate playing it today.

Strotski fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 29, 2021

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Strotski posted:

I played on some renaissance type server around 2003, it had a feature of typing "You see X looting the corpse of Y" above your head on the server side every time you looted off anyone's corpse.
The reason that is interesting is because you could set up same macro message to type that in the same font in chat, which would show up in the same spot above your head.
If anyone saw you looting someone in a town with that message and you were blue, it was generally assumed you were looting a PK and it was a free-for-all looting frenzy at that point.

So naturally I created 2nd account with a stealther, put a bunch of stuff on him to entice looting, killed myself in a busy spot near the bank in Minoc during off hours.
Then I ressed with a stealther near my own corpse, went into hiding, and started waiting for someone to come near.
When they did - I would start the macro that typed "You see X looting the corpse of Y" at a believable pace, and started moving items in my own corpse on 2nd account while in hiding.
To the observer it looked convincing, so naturally they began looting free stuff off of a red "PK", got flagged, I called guards and they were immediately killed. All that was left was to wait till guards despawned, loot them, recall and repeat that a few hours later or in another place.

Every once in a while I remember Ultima and what amazing of an experience it was and I realize I'd hate playing it today.

This is what UO was about. Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When I briefly played IPY 3.0, someone figured out you could provoke pack horses inside town without becoming grey, so a small group would pull anyone's pack horse and kill them outside of town. It was easily defeated if you were paying attention and ordered your pack horse to follow, but the group doing it were bizarrely persistent and kept targeting just my pack horse for like an hour, wasting their time completely.