Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

You called the Azeris salafists in the post the guy's quoting! Come on bro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

mila kunis posted:

i think he was referring to the turkish backed jihadis

If they're jihadis and not just mercs, why would they be going to Nagorno-Karabakh to try and help Azeris out?

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

THS posted:

they get to kill the hated armenian

I bet they're headed to LA and Moscow next.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

THS posted:

i mean probably not but the fact that turks were beating the poo poo out of protesters infront of their american embassy means whatever point you’re making is pretty weak

My point is that this war isn't about bloodthirsty salafist (lol) brutes coming to chop up Christian Armenians due to their ethnicity or religion. That might motivate some of the people fighting, but probably not most of them, and it's certainly not why Azerbaijan is attacking, or why they're being supported by Turkey, or whatever.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

mila kunis posted:

sorry is there a contradiction between being paid for war and also being a religious reactionary ? they're advancing that cause in syria and turkey finds them useful and is pulling some of them for use in the this war

Sure, they can be jihadi mercs or salafist mercs or Chechen mercs or whatever. But the operative point, in this case, is that they're mercs. That's why they're there.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Here's a good video on the background posted earlier in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS3P9kk-vFk

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Vasukhani posted:

The only glaring bad take on the Armenian side is westerns who are repeating myths that all of historic Armenia was homogeneously Armenian.

According to Russian empire census it was only ever something like 55% Armenian. This type of stuff only backfires

Incredibly, I see neither Armenians nor Azeris in this pic. Seems like the whole place needs to clear out.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Syncopated posted:

How many ethnic cleansings have there been in the last 20 years actually? Myanmar, what Sri Lanka did to the tamils might count I’m not 100% sure. China, Syria?

Let's expand it to 30 years. What's this... Azeris? Ethnically cleansed... hang on, looking into it a little bit more... Nagorno-Karabakh? Wait a sec!

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

sum posted:

Early 1990s are famously part of the 21st century. Nice epic dunk idiot.

Also no one's brought up an example of ethnic cleansing that wasn't either perpetrated by irregulars, half-done, or only accomplished after a decades long civil war, which was exactly the point I was making.

The two examples you gave about why it's so hard now to do ethnic cleansing aren't from the 21st century either.

Anyway, my point wasn't to make an epic dunk on you, just to point out that any discussion on the issue of ethnic cleansing in Nagorno-Karabakh probably must include the ethnic cleaning that took place there like 25 years ago during its capture in war, and subsequent occupation.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I'm sure their Israeli friends can help them with building a lot of settlements quickly in occupied territory.

Who's in occupied territory?

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

uninterrupted posted:

Azerbaijan will literally ethnically cleanse any land they get, happened in the last war.

This area, outside of the original NK oblast, is literally ethnically cleansed Azerbaijan territory occupied by Armenia for the past 25 years.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

uninterrupted posted:

Yeah, exactly, and Azerbaijan will do the same thing in reverse, it’s the whole nature of the conflict.

If the reports are true, there will be Russian soldiers to act as peacekeepers. Don't you think it's a little offensive to look at a place that has been ethnically cleansed of Azeris and occupied for decades, and just announce that obviously the Azeri refugees who are coming back to their homes are clearly going to ethnically cleanse the Armenians living in the area?

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Ardennes posted:

For the hundredth time, Azerbaijan was ethnically cleansing Armenians in Baku and other regions at the same time. It was mutual brutality.

There should be truth and reconciliation, right of return if desired, reparations, etc. for the victims of pogroms and ethnic cleansing in Baku. But it doesn't make the ethnic cleansing in NK or its ongoing occupation just, and it doesn't mean that the return of internal refugees to NK is some kind of ethnic cleansing campaign fait accompli.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Succbot Circlejerk posted:

No way it's totally racist of you to expect ethnic cleansing, I said with incredible wokeness, chiding my fellow poster for yet again expecting the worst of warring factions of brown people overseas, even though they're white and that I can't be bothered to look up anything about them before wokescolding in their defense.

I didn't say that further ethnic cleansing is not possible, or not something to be concerned about. But presenting the return of ethnically cleansed Azeri refugees to the region as necessitating ethnic cleansing really is troubling, don't you think? Its the same thing Turkish Cyprus says, and the same thing Israel says about returning to 1967 borders. Oh no, we can't give back this occupied territory, they'll just ethnically cleanse us back!

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

uninterrupted posted:

the only reason you don’t think there’d be ethnic cleansing will happen is that it would be somehow offensive. please look up the first NK war, both sides brutally massacred civilians.

this isn’t going to end with some kind of reconciliation, both sides are bent on wiping each other out.

No, I do think ethnic cleansing could happen. I don't think it will necessarily happen, and I think that posts presenting the return of Azeri refugees as necessitating ethnic cleansing are offensive.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

offensive lol people are being lynched live on stream atm

I'm not watching livestreams of the conflict, but are you referring to the Armenian member of parliament? Somehow I don't think that the Azeri special ops were the ones who got to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

tristeham posted:

lolling at the "armenia should have just joined nato" discourse in d&d

I will not read D&D but I wonder what the nato defense rules are about disputed territories like Nagorno-Karabakh. Obviously an attack on Armenia proper would require Nato to help in defense, but probably no member countries would have accepted NK as part of Armenia. So I doubt it would have helped.