Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Me and my friends are slowly getting better at this, but every time a hunt starts we freak out and bunch up in a corner like scared chickens or we rush for the door even though we know it is locked during hunts... It is probably the dumbest thing we can do, but it really speaks for how immersive this game is, when a bunch of fairly well adjusted adult men and women are reduced to whimpering morons once poo poo gets real.

One thing I wish for though is some ingame tooltips for the various items. Right now it is very unclear how certain items work, and if they work at all.

I really hope the recent success of this game means there will be big updates and even more content for this game soon, because it got some serious potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ShowTime posted:

It's okay. I can't even play the game alone. I can play it with others but as soon as I load up a map and walk into the building I nope right the gently caress out and play something else.

I'm an adult god damnit. Games aren't suppose to make me feel this kinda way.

I know what you mean. I've played a bunch of horror games, but none have managed to freak me out quite like this game does.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Me and two buddies encountered the weirdest ghost last night. It was on the grafton farmhouse level. We went in with emf and temperature reader, scoured the entire house from top to bottom, found jack poo poo, except for a bone. However the first weird thing was that the ghost started to hunt me really early on, before the 5 minute countdown was finished. The hunt lasted for a few seconds, and stopped as soon as i exited the room i was in. We set up a camera in that room and went back and forth trying to provoke it, but no dice. No temp, no EMF no spriti box, or orbs. We figure we should go for a second sweep of the house, and then suddenly in the opposite end of the house the ghost started to hunt us again and killed me dead. My brave friends promptly hosed off to the van and left. Turns out it was a Jinn. But they are supposed to be territorial and be less likely to move from their chosen haunt... And they are usually easy to find with the emf, and the spirit box. A bug maybe?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SaffronKit posted:

Yurei are typically the territorial ghosts, Jinn just move super fast if you have the power on.

Huh. I could swear I read that Jinn is the territorial one. I also thought the Yurei is the sanity lowering ghost. (Looking at it drops your sanity faster than the other ones). I guess i need to read the journal more often. Well if the Jinn is the fast one, then the attack patterns makes more sense. Dunno why he was hatin on me so much though, it was my buddy who loudly proclaimed to have intimate knowledge with his wife over and over!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

GoldStandardConure posted:

I was playing this with my partner, using the in game radio chat for extra atmosphere and my parrot squawked, which went through the game chat distorted a bit and it scared the piss out of my partner.

10/10 would ghost hunt with a parrot again.

"*aaawk* Polly wants a sign! Polly wants a sign!"

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I hope they add some more X-factors to this game soon. I'm level 34 now and consider myself a grizzled veteran. I have two buddies that I've played with and they are the same level. We are now so efficient that we can pinpoint the ghost within the first 2 minutes, and even get the side objectives before a hunt starts. We're flush with cash and just blaze through mission at an alarming pace. We haven't been hunted in forever. The closest hunt recently was when we exited the house with all objectives done, and the ghost slammed the door rudely behind us just as the last man exited.

Then the other day I played with some other friends who are very new to this game. They spent the entire 5 minute setup plastering the walls full of sensors, tossing salt everywhere and setting up a bunch of video cameras all over the place, making the house look like some crazy reality show. They did all this while huddling together, looking this way and that with their crucifixes at the ready like it was some tactical milsim house clearing. I played along because it reminded me how utterly terrifying and fun this game is before you figure out the mechanics behind the scenes. (Not that its not fun anymore, its just that i want danger to be ever present so as to always keep you on your toes.)

Maybe they could add an extra difficulty modifier you could add for some extra cash at the end. This modifier could make it so that the ghost has a chance of initiating hunts within the setup phase time limit, a chance of initiating fake hunts or something out of the ordinary along those lines.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The Asylum was a bit of a let down for me. It just looks plain boring. I was hoping for a 1950s style hellhole asylum with huge gothic windows and padded cells and such. The highschool is okay, but both maps are so huge. I played both maps twice and only once found the ghost. The other times, the ghost seemed as confused and frustrated as we were, because it kept initiating hunts but we never saw it.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It was a game demo released some years back by Hideo Kojima. It was more like a concept demo of a horror game and people went totally bananas over it.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mongoose posted:

I'm generally a big scaredy cat wuss baby, but I'm addicted to ghost hunting in phasmophobia. The last hurdle for me is overcoming my fear of standing in a room alone talking to the ghost for spirit box / trying to take pictures. I know a crucifix will stop it spawning in a small area, but can you ever really be completely safe when you're having a 1v1 showdown with bloody mary?

Have the smudge sticks with a lighter in your inventory, and when your flashlight starts flickering, press F with the smudge sticks equipped. This will make you invisble to the ghost for about 6 to 10 seconds (or so i've heard) giving you time to gtfo and break line of sight with the ghost. Prior to standing alone in the room you should also have scouted a bit for possible hiding places like lockers, or best avenue of escape. This will not guarantee survival but it will significantly increase your chances! Same with video cameras; put several of them around the room so as to cover different angles. This can make the van camper actually useful for once, because he or she can help keep an eye out for where the ghost spawns. Also, if you suspect the ghost is a phantom, taking a picture of it when it appears can banish it for a while.

Comedy option: Have all your coop buddies wait outside the door with crucifixes and smudge sticks, ready to bust in at a moments notice, like some monthy python spanish inquisition. It probably wont bother the ghost when its hunting but at least you got the comfort of knowing that the ghosts have additional targets to consider!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

a mysterious cloak posted:

My favorite ghost so far was the one we relentlessly poo poo-talked
Don't remember who was playing, but it went something like:

Us: George Harris? Hairless? George Harrison? Why are you such a bitch? I'm dating your mom...

Spirit box: DEATH

Its kinda comical the times we forget to turn off the spirit box and the ghost chatters away while we are busy talking about something else.
Us: "I'm gonna go check for orbs, you guys need anything?"
Ghost: ADULT
Us: "Yeah bring the uv light and photocamera when you come back"
Ghost: BEHIND

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Once we heard what we thought was references to a coordinates or something. "G8" But on second thought it was probably just "get out"

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SpudCat posted:

I would spend all the dollars to buy a knockoff Ghostbusters outfit for my character.

This game is also screaming for Sam and Dean Winchester characters

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tehan posted:

The cells count as individual rooms so it's tricky to figure out which one is the actual ghost room when it's wandering around doing things in the neighbouring cells and spilling cold into the rest of the cell block, which is an interesting problem that doesn't really happen on other maps.

finally a reason(other than mission objectives) to bring salt and motion/light sensors!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

durrneez posted:

hiding behind the palm fronds in the front room is a good look

https://i.imgur.com/FEX53aF.mp4

I have not played in about 7 months, so far I've gathered that there is one new map, and the ghosts are a bit more aggressive. Is this game worth getting back into? The reason me and my friends stopped playing was pretty much because we got so good at it that the ghosts never really got a chance to hunt us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

durrneez posted:

dang, i look good in my twitch highlight :biglips:

YEAH, game is very fun/scary again. there are also TWO new ghost types and fun optional objectives, like get your team’s avg sanity down to 25%.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

oh yeah you should def hop back in and give it a try. My partner and I are close to level 600 and we still get got every now and then (got a total team wipe just a couple days ago even). Ghosts are a lot more aggressive now, certain ones far more so, and they speed up when they have line of sight on you so you can't just endlessly kite everything but revenants anymore.

A total team wipe :O Two new ghosts? Sounds like the spooky potential is good now! Alright sounds like i gotta wrangle my old ghost huntin' team together!