Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I just got this and I'm going to be streaming it with friendos. Scary crap here I come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

This a good post, and I learned a lot from this post and you should post more like it, please.

Learn to make the most of the map in the van. It will show the location of the power breaker (green, looks like a battery), which is slightly randomized. The button to the left of the map changes floor. It doesn't show the location of any of the identification tools (video camera, EMF reader, etc), but it WILL show the location of motion detectors and players. Placing motion detectors in halls or to cover doors allows you to track where the ghost is moving on the map. That's good for identifying "Yes, the ghost is definitely in this room a lot and since we don't see ghost orbs we can eliminate that as evidence".

Sound detectors are kinda crap, tbh. Do not recommend. Same for parabolic microphone except in the high school or asylum.

Take a picture of ghost fingerprints if you find them. That's a little more money. Put salt in doorways and hallways and take a picture if you see it's been disturbed, that's also money. If the ghost knocks something over, take a picture of it quickly for "Interaction" and more money.

Here's a good pattern for hitting houses: Grab the thermometer, flashlight, and a crucifix. Turn on every HALLWAY, KITCHEN, and LIVING ROOM light. Not closets or bedrooms or bathrooms or utility rooms. Staying in the lit areas, open the doors and look in with the thermometer. Above 10 degrees C? Ignore it, leave the door open, move on. When you find a room below 10 C, turn the lights on in THAT room and dump the crucifix in the middle of the room. (Go ahead and drop the thermometer, it doesn't matter anymore.) Go grab your identifying tools (ghost writing book, spirit box, EMF reader, video camera, UV light) and place them in the room, particularly in spots that someone would move through. (Salt piles by the door and nearby hallways or in the room is also okay.) You can put the spirit box down anywhere, it has a pretty large range that it will catch ghost responses. (Carrying the EMF reader around is optional, but it's a good plan.) Turn off the lights. Ask ghost questions to see if it sets off the spirit box. You can ask it to "show us a sign". If you see anything move or lights turn on/off, get the EMF reader by there.

EMF5 and fingerprints are the hardest evidence to get, followed by ghost writing. You can get ghost writing reliably if you figure out where to place it so the ghost finds it, sometimes the ghost will miss it if it's been placed too far from the ghost (I usually take two books to make it easier to get). EMF activity goes up as the ghost gets more active, so you won't usually find it right away. Fingerprints are on an unknown percentage chance of happening when the ghost uses an object, but they can show up on windows, doors, and light switches. If you don't see any fingerprints, that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any - the ghost might not have left any yet. Provoking more ghost activity can get you more chances to find fingerprints and EMF5, but it gets dangerous.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND making a chart of what ghost gives what evidence. I have one, and it helps so much. I can go "Okay, we have spirit box and ghost writing but no freezing temperatures. A Spirit will give us fingerprints and an Oni will give us EMF5. We don't see any freezing temperatures, so it's probably NOT a Demon. We can stop looking for ghost orbs, because nothing that gives spirit box responses and ghost writing also gives orbs." That will cut so much time and work out of your search, especially if you're having a hard time finding fingerprints or EMF5 and you realize that you don't need to keep looking for it.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Certainly sounds like you've successfully min/maxed the fun out of it!

Even with all my tools, even with all my practice, even with my procedures and plans ... I still get spooked every time the ghost breathes in my ear. Knowing how to work as effectively as possible lets you push the envelope - I did an asylum solo because I had a plan and knew what I was doing and I took everything I could with me. I still hid in closets with a pounding heart every time my flashlight went aflicker. (And I still didn't correctly identify the ghost because I wasn't willing to stick around and try to force EMF5 to confirm the type.)

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Most ghosts only initiate a hunt when the average player sanity is below about 50%. Demon and Oni types (at least) ignore this rule and can hunt whenever they loving feel like it. This is useful if you need a ghost picture, you can be a little more risky and try to antagonize the ghost into showing up because you know it USUALLY won't attack when you're higher sanity. Of course, sometimes your sanity dropped below the magic number without you realizing and ... whoops.

Also it's good to have a hide in mind at all times. Where the nearest room is with a door that you can close.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Also you might have thought that it was starting a hunt because your flashlight flickered, but it might have just been a ghost loving with it for spook reasons. Hunts don't get cancelled except by crucifix, which means they never flicker you at all.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Make a list of things that player ghosts can say that objective ghosts cannot, let player ghosts say them near a working spirit box. Voice the player with a different synthetic voice.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

SpudCat posted:

Bought this cuz it looks super fun, but my first solo attempt after the tutorial ended embarrassingly. I pulled out the Spirit Box to have a friendly chat with my ghost buddy, asked where he was, he answered with "BEHIND", then breathed in my ear. I scooted out of the house fast as my doofy character model could carry me, the ghost trolling me with flickering lights. Great game so far, love the atmosphere, probably need to play with a group lol

You DO need to play with a group. Go join the Discord on the previous page, we'll scream and run out with you.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I haven't had any success at all with the directional microphone, myself. I've only tried it a couple times, but so far it seems to have an abysmally short range.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

But consider this - I want to play the high school or asylum because they are WAY SPOOKIER

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

My experience has been that ghosts in the larger maps are more likely to engage in behaviors that call your attention to their location, like ringing phones or whistling.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I know they've talked about the thermometer being possibly too effective for finding the ghost room quickly. I'd like it if instead of being a laser-based system it was more ... conventional. You turn it on, it takes several seconds to get a reading, and it only works at the spot where you're standing. Would make you step into rooms and take an extra five or ten seconds or so in each one.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

The exit doors lock when a hunt starts. The interior doors don't lock, but the panic of trying to find a good hide at the last second can make you fumble.

I had one last night in a high school where we knew the ghost was in a bathroom and I was trying to get pics of it. I hid in a bathroom stall THREE TIMES because it started hunting. Hearing it walking just outside, quietly making GBS threads myself and praying it didn't figure out how to open the stall door.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I love this kinda poo poo. It feels really great when you identify the room and then the ghost type and get your objectives/photos really fast and get out with big cash, but it feels really SPOOKY when you can't nail that fucker down and they keep creeping you out. On the same side, if it was ALL that kind of trip, it would lose the fun. So I'm glad that both exist. We're still in EARLY early access, so we can expect to see a lot more as time goes on.

Adding to the list of "Challenge Runs"

* No flashlights, light switches and UV lights only
* No radio, local voice only
* No light switches, basic flashlights only
* Gobble your crazy pills before you open the door
* Must Take All Equipment Back To The Van
* Only one identifying tool allowed at a time
* You must start every sentence with the ghost's name

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Olesh posted:

I'd like to point out that this might not do what you think it does. Effectively this challenge is "You can only say the ghost's name" since when you say the ghost's name, anything else the speech recognition hears appears to be discarded in favor of the angry name response.

In other words, if you try and get a response to a question by including the ghost's name in the question - "John Smith, where is your favorite room?" - the parser sees 'John Smith' and ignores the rest. It's much more obvious with a ouija board (where you can ask questions and get understandable/verifiable responses).

Yeah, the point is to make talking incredibly dangerous by increasing ghost aggro. The spirit box will go off regardless, so you don't really need to say anything specific.

SaffronKit posted:

Honestly? Not sure I can agree with the no flashlights one, especially with Asylum existing as it does. There are 0 lightswitchs in two main wings except in individual rooms or the light switches are impossible to find. I guess you could just carry a candle everywhere but that just sounds even more painful cause you'd need to keep a lighter around to light it again if it goes out.

Yeah, asylum would be one I'd probably want to use a different challenge mode. But UV flashlights do function A LITTLE like flashlights, so you can get something out of it.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I would like to report that CHALLENGE MODE: NO LITTERING (bring back all items) was a resounding success.

We set in advance that our rules were that all items that could be picked up there were still on the map had to be returned to the truck before we could close up. We put it that way because we've had those random times when an object fell through the floor and couldn't be picked up again, and crucifixes vanish when they've proc'd twice. Salt cans have to be brought back, cameras, ghost writing, motion detectors, the works.

Everything was smooth at first. Took our gear in, got the room (freezing) and an EMF detection (level 5), so we took those back to the van when we went for new tools instead of dumping them, not a big deal. The "ghost room" was the hallway at the top of the stairs in the Farmhouse, so it was a pretty big area and we weren't sure exactly where the ghost was hanging out. Blanketed it with motion detectors and dumped salt on the floor, put a video camera on each end with a tripod. So far, so good. (Phone ringing didn't count as "interaction", so not sure what was up with that.) Salt cans went back in the van in our designated "throw it here when you're done" shelf. Got fingerprints. Banshee. Well fuuuuuck. We needed to stop a hunt for an objective, so we decided to blanket it with the crucifixes and hide out. Our scared friend who had been watching the cameras from the van grabbed the second crucifix and came to join us. The second she walked in, HUNT. She saw it appear right in front of her (crucifix was not held in hands) and ran screaming into the same room that I did. Once the hunt was over (safe!) we started grabbing our stuff and running back out with it, which meant a bunch of trips where you really felt like the ghost was watching over your shoulder. We finally got a hunt prevention, so my friend grabbed one crucifix and I grabbed the other, and we got ready to leave. I had thrown a camera down from the ledge, so I walk away from the door to pick it up. Friend gets through the door first, turns back to say "Hurry up, you don't want to get locked....." as the door shuts. HUNT. Cue me running into the back room, waving the crucifix in front of my face as I backpedal into walls and doors and hide in the room behind the kitchen (safe!) until my flashlight starts working again. I ran to the door as soon as the hunt was over, cursing the fact that I was spending WAY too much time indoors picking up my trash.

Tense. Unnecessary. Begrudging. Totally worth it. 10/10 would pick up trash again.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

PT?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Honestly the thing I'm hypest about for playing in VR will be placing things very carefully.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

dogstile posted:

I'd like it if some ghosts don't get angry enough to murder you, tbh. Or different deaths at least.

Just a poltergiest killing me by beaning me with a wrench or something.

Yeah, this one in particular. Poltergeists are remarked as being dangerous for throwing things around a lot, but they aren't actually DANGEROUS when they throw things around. I hope they let thrown objects injure you. And oh, imagine the panic if a ghost could shove your face in the sink of dirty water.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Has anyone else noticed the voodoo dolls?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

has it been confirmed by anyone what picking them up actually does? I assume it just angers the ghost, but I'd be curious if there was something else going on.

When you throw a voodoo doll from your inventory, it will run several feet in the direction of the ghost. It's good for finding the ghost's location quickly, especially on large maps.

Also it has CREEPY sound and movement effects.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Whoa, seriously?

What does the voodoo doll look like exactly?

It's a small white doll with red button eyes and the lips sewn shut with black thread. And if you take a picture of it after it's done a little dash, that's evidence money.

Edit: I had one where I threw it on the floor and it ran into the next room and then SHOT TO THE CEILING AND STAYED THERE. Creeeeeeepy.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

tokenbrownguy posted:

Holy smokes, played this game for the first time with a fellow newbie bud. We're in the school, wasted too much time hunting down Michael Johnson, low on sanity.

:smith: Me: "Uhhhh buddy pretty sure that he's in there. The phone's ringing.
:madmax: Friend: "You sure? The phone was ringing downstairs too.

I walk in, immediately see silhouette of ghost from the flashlight.

:smith: Me: "Yeah, maybe you're right idk, come in here with the EM reader."

Friend walks in, I walk out. Door shuts, hunt starts. Screaming.

Ghost Presence Confirmed

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I've been having fun lately playing "Competitive Mode", where we don't say what evidence we've gotten and each person has to try to identify the ghost for themselves. Turns out I am not the best among my friends at getting evidence fast. I did, however, have a really good one where the friend and I played a Professional high school and we took so long trying to find the room and the evidence that we started getting chain-hunted by the ghost. We mutually decided to truce it out and work together before either one of us got killed.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

This actually sounds pretty interesting, I might propose this to some goons to try out. Do you have people going out of their way to hide the ghost writing book if it's been written in?

Sometimes, but having two books makes that harder to do. Plus if one type of evidence is suddenly missing, that does say a LITTLE bit.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

Fair. Has your group ever done a limited evidence gathering tool version or just brought everything you could to make sure everyone has a fair shot?

It was just two of us from my group trying it on Halloween night, and the other person brought doubles of every identifier. I think she knows what kind of person I am.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I had a Professional Street House investigation where the ghost started hunting us ten seconds after we went in. Sure enough, Demon. It was a LONG time before it initiated a second hunt, it must have just been RNG getting lucky, but MAN were we on edge and spooked for the entire rest of that one.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

God, I loving love premium cosmetics in games. Let me choose to spend real money to support the developers and get little blinglings that give me that sweet serotonin spike.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I was holding doors closed already, didn't realize that it wasn't really doing much. Good that the ghosts are getting spoopier. The thermometer change on Professional is REALLY valid, using the therm to hunt for the room at the very beginning made it significantly easier.

I think the reason you're seeing so much less talk about it now is because the cluster of things that led to it getting high attention before has passed. It was super fun to play during October because ghost hunting during spoopymonth. And because it was so new, you could play a lot and it was still exciting and scary when the ghost breathed into your ear. Now that there's been some time, goons are playing less so there's less chatter. There's still people in the co-op group looking for players on the regular, but it's less than during October.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I think it's less bugging out, and more investigation difficulties. The ghost has a location at all times, even when it's invisible. The ghost orbs spawn around it, meaning that when the ghost is wandering the orbs can be present in places that are far away from the "haunt room". With that and the randomness of dropping fingerprints or EMF reaching 5 (it's proximity, not aim) or the book being placed in the right spot for the ghost to find and write in it? I think it's a program glitch less often than people think.

In terms of professional difficulty under the beta branch, I go in with an EMF reader and a motion detector. I carry the EMF out while I'm turning on the power and for a few minutes after, listening for noises that tell me a bored ghost is knocking things about. If I get EMF readings or think I've found the room, I'll drop the motion detector so it shows up on the map. That makes it easier for team members to find and helps with objectives. Then I go back for the thermo to confirm if I think I have the room or to start the methodical search if I don't have any clues.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I mostly like candles and head-mounts for doing challenge runs. It's hella fun to say "No flashlights, candles and switches only" and then go hunting. Or "No flashlights or switches, eyeballs and headmounts only". But my personal favorite will always be "No Littering" where you can't leave anything in the house and have to bring all your tools back to the van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

weekly font posted:

Candles are not a waste you clowns. Put them around the Ouija and have a seance with the teddy bears, duh.

This gets even better when you have a player in VR. You can place things so much more precisely, and do stunts like this.