Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I've been playing this solo and just unlocked intermediate difficulty. Had a very rude banshee the other day on amateur that immediately went hunting once the 5 minutes were up, without me even making any noise. Just once, though, I'd like the ghost to be haunting the couch and do nothing but mess w/ the tv and maybe the fridge. Love the atmosphere, medium maps can take way too long if I'm unlucky and large maps are a big nope. Is the coop discord for this active and does it have room for a relative newbie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Dear Prudence posted:

I use the thermometer usually right off the bat and it's still pretty good at being the first detector of the ghost room. Playing on professional, I routinely get temperatures between 57-60 when going into the map to start. They don't start cold like you're saying.

The temperature changes are currently only active on the Beta branch on Professional difficulty maps. If you haven't chosen to use the Beta build, then you won't see those changes yet.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't think this is true, all the patch notes suggest they spawn separately from the ghost. It's possible to see them in other rooms because they'll sometimes spawn next to (or inside of) walls, but that's a bug. We've even gotten them on the floor above the ghost room due to the orbs spawning up near the ceiling, but they've always been stationary regardless of where the ghost is at any given time.

Yeah, anytime I find orbs, they stay showing up at that location no matter how long I look or what the ghost is doing. The only reason orbs could be considered unreliable is the (thankfully rare) aforementioned instances where they spawn near/in walls and can be seen in a different room. It can be difficult to find those instances, but it's still under your control, unlike EMF/writing where it's at least partially up to the ghost. Also, check every angle to be sure. I remember one time in Tanglewood where the orbs were in the laundry room, but they didn't show w/ a view through either door (which covers like 90% of that room), and I didn't find them until I pointed a camera at the back corner, which the door views didn't cover. In order of reliability from personal experience, I'd say temperature > spirit box = orbs > writing = prints > EMF. If I'm ever missing evidence and have to guess, I'm always going EMF.

Generally, listening for sounds and looking for open doors or misplaced objects while the place warms up is good on Beta Professional for me, then bring in the thermometer either to confirm or if you still can't find it. On large maps, "sometimes" the parabolic mic helps, but it has a few limitations that make it tricky to use effectively. There's definitely still bugs, but the dev seems pretty good about fixing them in a timely manner.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

It's no wonder Betty Jackson hunts, what with everybody here egging her on.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Had a moment a few nights ago in a solo Pro Tanglewood game that was so well-timed I'm still not convinced it wasn't scripted. The ghost was a revenant in the entrance hallway, which meant being a little more careful doing the survive-a-hunt daily mission. So I went in the garage, turned out the lights to drain sanity and bunkered up in the locker. Got bored waiting after a few minutes and, since the ghost hadn't seemed to wander past the living room the entire time, decided it would be safe to mess around with any objects in the garage until a hunt started. The exact moment I swung the locker door open... not even five feet in front me... ThumpThumpThump SCARYGHOSTROAR vanish! Most startled I've been in this game in quite a while.

Also, supposedly it shouldn't be too long (exact date still unknown) before all these updates on the Beta branch go live.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

What's the current difference between the beta branch and steam branch? Would I be able to get an idea by basically looking at all the beta changes since the last steam update?

:siren: As of like five minutes ago, there is no difference! :siren:

:getin:

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

New update on the Beta branch just got released (full list here), and there's some interesting stuff in it. Highlights include ghost gets gradually faster during hunts while it has line of sight; ghost will force open locker/closet doors if the player makes a bunch of noise while in there; extra hiding spots in the farmhouses; furniture can potentially block line of sight now.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The only real (edge-case) use I've heard of for the motion lights is if you're doing a no-evidence challenge run and think you might have a revenant. A line of them in a hallway can help you see if the ghost is moving significantly faster or slower than normal during a hunt, visually and by timing it. I'm not sure if this is still viable after the recent hunting changes in the beta branch, though.

So remember how I said it'd be "almost definitely" a wraith if it didn't leave ghostly footsteps after stepping in salt? I thought I'd try and get a clip demonstrating the footsteps at the same time, but instead I showed why I said "almost" lol. Not sure why they don't sometimes leave footsteps, either it's a bug or a hidden (but large) chance to proc.

Regarding glowing footsteps and wraiths, as far as I've heard/seen, it should for sure be a wraith if there's no glowing feet after stepping in salt. But, the glowing feet only show if you hear the ghost taking several rapid steps in a row, they don't show for single steps. If there were no feet after the rapid steps and it wasn't a wraith, that sounds like a bug.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Yeah, the Yokai description isn't kidding when it says it hates people talking. Very first solo hunt I did in the new map was a Yokai who happened to be one of the most active ghosts I've ever seen, and that was when I was being quiet. The activity part was probably RNG, but I got annoyed with it hissing at me multiple times and started to yell "Knock it off, ya basta-" and a hunt started before I could even finish, haha.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Even though an asylum run often takes noticeably longer, I find high school the most tedious. The long walk from the truck to any of the entrances and back is the biggest offender for me (there's no suspense since nothing can happen outside), at least with asylum you're right there at the entrance. Maybe this is less a problem for big groups, but it's really annoying for solo play if I have to make several trips for equipment. High school also has arguably the biggest death trap if you get really unlucky with a gym ghost. And asylum has the cool echo to help distract me from long treks.

Otherwise, yeah, farmhouses > small houses > prison > high school/asylum.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

My guess was it moving out of early access, but this is probably the best news they could've announced. The additions are one dedicated programmer and one dedicated artist, which bodes well for future expansions and enhancements.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The main reason I heard other than for game balance (don't know if this is accurate or not) for the slow movement was because moving much faster in VR would be bad news.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Only had time for one Pro job last night (phantom in Bleasedale), but I'm really liking most of the changes. The hunt changes make things way scarier. Nicely improved graphics and sounds (the new noises during hunts are creepy). It took forever to figure out how to use the D.O.T.S. projector, though once I started looking through the video camera I got the evidence reasonably quickly. The few things I don't like are the new spirit box voice (sounds like someone trying way too hard to do spooky ASMR), not being able to drop the book upright anymore so I could use the video camera to check for writing from the truck, and the gasping after sprint time ends (it's fine on its own, but I'm already tired of hearing it since why wouldn't I sprint all the time).

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Behind the washer/dryer in the garage and behind the trash can in the basement are pretty good spots in Willow, among others. Mind you, they are not guaranteed. Pre-update, I once survived five straight hunts behind that washer/dryer, but the ghost finally peeked around on the sixth hunt and killed me. Smudge sticks are even more important now, and I think being careful about always having sprint ready to go if you're in hunting range is important as well.

Supposedly it's anything that can be turned on/off (both automatically like the cameras and manually like spirit box, etc...) while holding in your hand, plus the flashlight being on which the ghost can detect. Either turn it off, drop it or switch to something else. I haven't personally confirmed this, though.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Yeah, being able to remove evidence and immediately see only possible types remaining is great. The only thing that I like less is how it shows stars for the photos, I thought 3-star photos were only 2-stars at first.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Halloween update getting ready to drop very soon today, and it's looking very promising! I believe I am prepared (at least thematically level 666)...

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I'm most curious to see the campground in some of the new weather conditions, imagine it during heavy rain or light snow. A little disappointed my suggestion for Nightmare didn't make it in, but it probably would've been too much with the other conditions.

The only change right offhand I'm not thrilled about won't even affect me since I'll be on Pro or maybe Nightmare. I don't think the fingerprints should disappear after 60 seconds on Amateur.

And the patch just dropped, let's gooooooooo!

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

weekly font posted:

Not loving the update. I noticed the devs playing with streamers like Insym a lot and he’s done a ton of good for the game by breaking it over his knee repeatedly (and appears to be really nice for a streamer) but it seems like they balance the game around him, a level 6000, not your average dumbfuck like me.

Not super interested in following a ghost all over the map and then having it spawn on my head.

That was actually a question Insym asked one of the devs on-stream recently (I don't watch the streams live, but do watch some of his and a few others YT uploads), how do you approach balancing given the wide range of player skill? The answer was more focused on testing minutiae then the skill range part, but they're aware of the range. I'd agree they've been paying more attention to the advanced difficulties and probably are underestimating the impact some hunt changes have on the lower difficulties. The devs did ask for player feedback on the official discord about the Halloween update, and balance changes to make some things a little easier are supposedly in the works based off that. Don't know if it'll be enough for the lower difficulties, have to wait and see.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Still hate the DOTS projector since I'm still not clear on how it works.

DOTS is also like writing, in that sometimes it can take a while before the ghost decides to interact with it (which is when you can see the translucent outline).

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Most of that looks very good. I want to see how the Ouija board sanity questions play out, because that could be anywhere from not helpful to "may as well just restore the truck readings" OP. Also not sure about the chance of the ghost room changing scaling up with lower sanity. Curious why they changed heavy rain visuals, IMO snow needs better visuals way more.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I want the ghost to manifest in a dramatic flourish at the start of a hunt, like with occult energy swirling around and howling winds over a few seconds. This would solve the main thing I really want changed, not being able to see where the ghost spawns... I don't mind the ambiguity between an event and a hunt.

I wonder what the fastest non-guessing Nightmare clear is so far? My first run on Willow today was actually under a minute, because I walked in with the UV, the ghost immediately opened the bathroom door and hello there unique Obake fingerprints.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Yeah, agreed w/ that analysis. I'll also add that one of two things badly needs to happen with high school: Either the truck needs to be moved right next to the main entrance (because I hate the pointlessly long walk from the truck to any of the entrances), or it needs to be retrofitted into a hybrid indoor/outdoor map. Change the inside so one side has all the classrooms, and the other has more unique rooms like band, a small auditorium, the principal's office, computer lab, etc... and change the outside to have potential ghost areas like a parking lot with a few explorable buses, a small athletic field house and a central fountain area.

For new maps, I'd like something a little less conventional, like a small theme park or area 51.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I think not giving any of the lobby friends (in the rafters, in the locker, behind the door) santa hats was a missed opportunity. Also, I don't know how it would work, but I want the rafters friend to be some sort of boss ghost somehow.

If they make new player models/animations, I hope they give us the option to still use the old ones.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

No new maps since the campsite, no. The devs are currently working on upgrading how the game looks/runs/feels in VR, and I think the testing phase for that should have started, they were looking for testing volunteers on the discord a week or two ago. I forget exactly what the rest of their roadmap for this year looked like, but new/different things are still in the works.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The VR update is out (full notes here). I can't comment on most of it since I only have PSVR and it's not available on that platform, but there are some smaller general updates for everybody, including the much-needed "unlimited sprinting after you've been killed" and "more names" updates.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Update is pretty great! Sunny Meadows is very creepy, and the restricted version is a great way to keep the small map-only crowd interested. New camp seems pretty dangerous as well. Love having loadouts, though a few parts of the new loadout setup interface are confusing to me. Haven’t had time to touch custom difficulty yet.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Did a few runs on Camp Woodwind and Sunny Meadows Restricted last night with a friend on standard Pro difficulty, things went perfectly fine. Decided to try a custom difficulty for the first time on Sunny Meadows Restricted, figured giving us unlimited sprint + 1.5x base speed should let us have plenty of time to explore more of Sunny Meadows while still not completely making things safe. First run, a demon almost immediately hunts as soon as I enter the hallway in the left wing, spawns right beside the only hiding spot in reach, not enough room to get around it, RIP. Second run, things go much better, all we need to do before leaving is prevent a hunt. So I start using the tarot cards to drain sanity a little quicker... first card, Hanged Man. 10/10 would custom difficulty again.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

As usual after a major update, patches with adjustments and bug fixes are getting pushed out reasonably quickly. They just released one which supposedly fixes a major memory leak causing a lot of performance issues, among other things (and the first part of their Halloween updates, go check that door in the lobby that won't open!). Hopefully that's the case, I'll try it later tonight.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

If anybody's unaware, there's a Halloween challenge going on now which lets you earn a spooky trophy if you complete it. The requirements are to play on Nightmare mode, go to each map marked by a pumpkin on the map selection board (basically all the small maps), eat all the candy, then light all the jack-o'-lanterns, then finally take a ghost photo (the ghost will be wearing a jack-o'-lantern over its head). You'll hear a spooky noise when you complete each part, and there are no other requirements (not even identifying the ghost type). The amount of candy and jack-o'-lanterns left is listed by the map in the truck. I think it lasts all month, so no rush.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I hope the next update stabilizes the voice issues I've been having in multiplayer. Usually once per map, some part of my voice chat will stop working (some combination of proximity voice and/or radio voice not being heard by others and not being recognized by the spirit box). Going to the audio settings menu, re-applying the existing settings and returning to the game sometimes fixes it, other times it starts working again after I use discord voice chat. I never had any voice issues before the last major update, and while this stuff certainly isn't a deal-breaker, it is annoying.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

So just got done playing a new game called Ghost Watcher. It's like a combination of Phasmophobia and Devour. Still fairly cheap on Steam right now and still being developed. Bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun! So like Phas, you have to identify what type of ghost it is and there are various objectives you can do during the level. But once you've identified which ghost it is, you have to do certain things in certain orders and you can capture the ghost!

I've watched a few rounds of people playing Ghost Watchers. It seemed generally ok, though I do remember thinking the "ghost drags you halfway across the map" mechanic was more obnoxious than scary after a handful of times, and that was just while watching.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Took a look around a few of the maps earlier, and really like some of the visual improvements. The lighting changes alone make this update a winner for me, places like the farmhouses and Sunny Meadows have so much better visibility it’s ridiculous. Snowy weather looks a lot better, though I still wish it would accumulate on the ground. Performance also seems noticeably better on my measly 1060. The ghost tweaks mostly sound cool, though the Yurei might as well have not been changed. The custom difficulty reward nerf seems too harsh, but personally it doesn’t bother me that much.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I dunno if it's my drivers or what but the new lighting sucks hard for me. Sometimes it's just flat pitch black and I can't see anything with my candle out.

Anyone doing the holiday event? It wasn't until our third round that we realized that serving the cookies to the ghost (this is a cool surprise so don't mouse over til you already know)caused a blackout swoosh effect, and a hunt.

I'm glad it's just a special event thing, because I think it'd wear out its welcome if it was just all the time, but yeah that effect surprised me the first few times as well and it is really cool. What could also be cool is if they made something similar for cursed hunts.

Regarding the lighting, that's unfortunate, it looks amazing for me. What are your video settings? Some of them seem to make a big difference. The ones I see the biggest differences with are FidelityFX Super Res (turn this off) and Sky Light (turn this on). FidelityFX just kinda makes things look bad in general, and Sky Light makes a huge difference with seeing shadows outdoors. Turning up fog quality also makes a big difference, but the performance hit on my computer (which is getting due for major upgrades, only has a 1060) is too much on the outdoor maps when there's fog.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I was playing earlier today on Edgefield, and found some activity in the master bedroom, so I went back to the truck to get more equipment. While starting to grab the equipment, I did a double-take after glancing over at the crucifixes because one of them was partially burned up, and I sure hadn't taken them out of the truck! A few minutes later, I realized this was not actually a bug because apparently the truck is close enough to Edgefield's master bedroom that the increased range a crucifix covers against demons can block the demon's special hunt ability even if you don't take the crucifix out of the truck!

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

New update is out. Biggest parts are a new Insanity difficulty, custom difficulty reward nerfs, a new cursed item Monkey's Paw, a new bi-weekly(?) rotating Challenge difficulty and a bunch of fixes. The new rotating Challenge mode is the most interesting addition to me, because there's no penalty for dying since all the necessary items are automatically provided for you and the difficulty will apparently vary quite a bit depending on the challenge. Beating it 3 times on the specified map gives a decent reward (3k money/exp). The first challenge is not messing around, either. Prison, no starting sanity, pills do nothing, no smudge sticks, breaker is destroyed, I think but could be wrong that the ghost has a slightly higher base speed. I got it done, but took quite a few attempts... first one by Obake not leaving fingerprints on all doors after a hunt, second one by a Wraith teleport, third one by actually getting all three evidences for a Yokai in one of the cell blocks.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Yeah, the main outright nerf to the custom rewards was changing the highest possible modifier down to 15(?)x from 24x, and thus individual multipliers got scaled down as well. The balance changes to prevent easy min/max was the other main nerf. These changes don't bother me, but I also don't predominantly play custom difficulty games.

The other thing is that the devs in discord have said whenever the next major update comes out, your levels and money are getting reset anyway to accommodate an updated levelling with prestige system (your current level will get preserved in the form of a prestige badge) and to put everybody on even ground for new item upgrades. They see the preset difficulties as the main way to progress and have number go up, while the custom difficulties is to play however you want but not necessarily get rewarded however you want.

Unrelated, it may just be me, but I think the game is running somewhat better. At least, my game would turn into a slideshow outside during certain weather like fog and rain before this update, and now it's not nearly as bad.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Professor Wayne posted:

Is the game even playable on a controller? I've never played outside of VR, but isn't opening doors already kind of a pain with a mouse and keyboard?

Outside of VR, opening doors has always seemed fine to me w/ mouse and keyboard.

And from the discord's faq thread for the console update:

quote:

Will there be improved controller support?
Yes, the progression update has a completely overhauled UI navigation system for controllers.

The progression update is supposed to come out before the console update, so in theory, it should play ok on a controller. I've only used mouse and keyboard, so I have no idea how it is on controllers currently.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Potato Salad posted:

did they change the thing where holding a candle keeps your head lit, preventing sanity loss?

if they didn't, stand around in the dark room looking for dots but hold a candle next to your head

edit: the game never made this obvious, but the candle is a stakeout tool. once you have everything set up, you grab a candle, light it, and keep it in your hand so you infinite time to watch for ghost events and listen for specific behavior, if you were good about managing your sanity loss during setup

Supposedly, the candles now just slow your sanity loss instead of completely preventing it, though I can't completely confirm that since I haven't unlocked all the equipment tiers yet. A lot of equipment and evidence properties have anywhere from minor to major adjustments. For example, take Ultraviolet (formerly fingerprints). The basic evidence is still the same, but now the glowing footprints from salt behave the same as fingerprints and count as evidence. Also, you can't just take a picture where the print should be now and have it count, you actually have to expose it to UV light for several seconds so it stays visible long enough for you to take the photo.

This update is pretty cool, definitely puts a fresh spin on the game with the balance changes, equipment tiers and prestige system. Of course there are a bunch of bugs, it wouldn't be a Phasmo update without a bunch of bugs and constant patches for a week or two, but that's par for the course. I'm still looking forward to the console update later this month, I really want to try this on PSVR2.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The T1 spirit box and writing book are notably less reliable then the T2 (old default) versions, but those are the only two I'd say you'd do well to upgrade asap. Crucifix, salt and the flashlight would be the next upgrade priorities IMO.

Either there's a new bug (probably) or the devs are very sneakily trying out a "no ghost" option. I was doing the weekly challenge mode last night and one of the runs I literally could not find any signs of the ghost after 20 minutes of looking. The challenge mode has actually looped back around to being the very first challenge this week, which if you aren't aware, is a very hard one in Prison with no sanity, no smudge sticks, sanity medicine does nothing, breaker is broken, van boards are broken, 125% speed only T1 equipment. You're basically getting perma-hunted, so even in a map the size of Prison, there's absolutely no way you wouldn't find the ghost after going around the entire place multiple times. I eventually just left and guessed (incorrectly), then I check the stats and supposedly there was indeed a ghost hunting and interacting non-stop. I saw at least one other person reported this happening on the discord, too.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The main change I want for the high school (and bigger maps in general) is being able to move the truck directly next to any map entrance at any point during the investigation, and add more entrances if there's currently only one. I can deal with long walks when it's part of investigating the location and has danger present, but having to repeat the long walk to and from the high school entrances is unnecessary and tedious. Maybe the idea was to give you a full view of the building and build some anticipation, but that would be so much better served by adding an initial cutscene after loading the map.

That said, I'm looking forward to the very likely lighthouse map and the console update, because I want to try this on PSVR2.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

great username posted:

Awesome info, thank you all so much!

Sounds like we need to get some more of the tools and gadgets unlocked. The progression gating seems a bit severe, but no matter, everyone is having a blast. Great game concept for real.

I'm surprised they haven't realized how easy it would be to tack on a ghost hunting/capturing addon or mode. New tools/challenges that don't revolve around identification but instead corralling and containment perhaps, not sure.

The equipment progression is pretty slow right now, but fortunately one of the things the devs mentioned in their upcoming roadmap notes is lowering the experience requirements for levelling and adjusting when equipment unlocks happen, so that should help once it hits. No date given for when that update will happen, just sometime soon this year.

Regarding adding ghost hunting to the game, it's not that the devs haven't thought about it, quite the opposite in fact. The devs have said many times (on the official discord, content creator vids, etc...) that they feel giving players the ability to fight back takes away from the spooky/scary atmosphere they want for their game, and they're perfectly happy to let other games handle the ghost hunting market while they focus on the investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The farmhouse overhaul looks really great, Point Hope progress continues, and the long-needed shop overhaul might actually make it usable... but the actual best part of that preview is going to be the customizable cursor!