Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Just started playing this last week with my wife and caught up on the thread. Lots of spoops, very fun. Had to watch a couple people play to get an idea of what we're even supposed to do during a hunt (and what a hunt is, etc). So far whenever a hunt started we were just beelining to the exit and panicking trying to open it until one of us died lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Haha last night my wife and I were playing with a friend, and on our last contract he and I spent like 5 minutes straight trying to get it to appear (we already knew at that point it was a wraith). We were chanting his name, insulting it, swearing at it, etc., but nothing worked. The temps got freezing and it threw some stuff around, but didn't do anything until my wife came in from the van to set up a motion sensor. The instant she set it up, a hunt began and the ghost materialized and killed her. It then did two more hunts in a row, and we were only just barely able to step out of the house in time to avoid the last hunt. I got some footage of it that I'll upload later, it was fun.

Game good.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
We had a banshee last night that did NOT want to come out and play, I thought it was really weird until I remembered I threw down a cross in the room. But the cross should only stop hunts, right? Has nothing to do with how active they are otherwise, at least that's what I thought.

All we got was freezing temps. No fingerprints anywhere that we could find, and absolutely no EMF readings (even when she appeared right next to me, turned towards me and walked through me). She started a hunt, but it was a really short one and ended in like 10 seconds or something. In the end we had to go through the journal and identify her by process of elimination based on freezing temperatures, and what we 100% weren't able to get (no spirit box, no ghost orbs, no writing, chalked up no EMF to a bug since she definitely showed up when I was pointing the EMF at her)

Does that happen often, or was that contract bugged? It felt great to figure out the banshee that way, like a deeper level of investigation and deduction than simply "run in, ghost does The Thing with your inventory item, get 3 and win". Might be cool to have the occasional ghost that is reluctant to do one or two of the things they're known for, forcing you to use a little more logic.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cobbsprite posted:

EMF reaching 5 (it's proximity, not aim)

The banshee literally walked through me while I was holding the EMF sensor and it was at 1 the whole time. It never responded to a single thing that happened, even when the hunt started or things were being knocked to the floor right in front of me

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Deeturbomber posted:

The EMF reader only 'reads' the point/area at which the ghost -starts- the hunt, with a few reads early in the hunt. While they're wandering, you don't typically get EMF readings.

EDIT: Ghost orbs originate vaguely where the ghost room is, and can swoop in random directions, sometimes appearing just outside the intended area. The orbs themselves 'travel' a bit, but not with the ghost itself. If you watch where you've already seen ghost orbs, they keep spawning there, even during a hunt.

EDIT 2: Re: EMF 5 specifically, EMF 5 can occur whenever any other EMF event happens with a high random chance. The EMF reader actually tells you exactly what a ghost has been doing:
1: Nothin'
2: Ghost touched something
3: Ghost moved a physics object (I think this can also happen with a few other events, but physics stuff is the only specific thing I know of)
4: Ghost manifested or otherwise caused an 'event'
5: Randomly replaces any of the above, but is evidence of specific ghost types, the lower number will still appear at a larger radius around the given event.

Based on this, the ghost manifesting right in front of me and then walking through me should have been a 4 then, right? And then throwing physics objects around should have been a 3.

Never got a blip on that contract. Only time it's happened so far so I'm chalking it up to a bug.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Deeturbomber posted:

EDIT: Also, sometimes tools will bug and appear 'on' when they're not. If you ever notice something like that, try clicking the tool off and on or dropping it and picking it back up. I get weird audio glitches with the spirit box sometimes until I do this.

Maybe this is it. I've definitely had issues getting spirit box responses when I should have, and have noticed it sounding kinda weird or far away sometimes (never paid close enough attention to see if the two were related though). Thanks! I'll remember to try turning things off and on again

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was so salty about the parabolic mic. I figured it would be like real ones, i.e. a range in tens of meters. Never got anything useful out of it, so I looked it up to see if I was using it wrong and it turns out its effective range is roughly the length of your box truck. Just a money sink imo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm probably just bad at using it or unlucky then lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My kingdom for a purchaseable tool belt that lets me bring two or three reserve items

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Just wanted to share a couple clips from last night's game

Apparently sometimes the game will spawn you in front of another player's view of the board:
https://twitch.tv/videos/900395673

Which I later took advantage of:
https://twitch.tv/videos/900395675

We decided to try out the Asylum with just the two of us, then I hosed around and found out:
https://twitch.tv/videos/900395670

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just solo'd the prison in about 5 minutes because I wanted to see what the map was like. Only took basic equipment so I wouldn't lose anything if I died. Found ghost orbs in the cafeteria using the existing cameras, got EMF 5 as soon as I showed up there, then realized I forgot to set the right mic so I couldn't really use the spirit box. Ran back, threw down a journal where the camera could see it, did a quick sweep for fingerprints, noticed the ghost was very active and turning lights on everywhere. Got back to the van with 20 seconds to spare in setup time, debated a little bit with myself, then successfully guessed Jinn.

I got money for guessing correctly (yay) but the weird thing is I also got $10 in insurance money? What's that about?

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 9, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Deeturbomber posted:

You actually died in a car crash on the way home.

gently caress it, makes sense to me

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This game spooked the poo poo out of me last night. We were running the bleasdale farmhouse and it was in the foyer, right inside the front door, so we'd set up everything and had narrowed it down to two possibilities, Jinn or Poltergeist. It was just a matter of finding fingerprints or EMF 5. I was pretty sure we didn't have any fingerprints so i figured we could provoke it to move around some and confirm EMF 5. We had the EMF reader sitting in front of a camera and my wife was in the van watching it.

I stood just outside the front door and yelled and chanted Nancy Jackson for like a minute. I'd had success with this before and gotten activity bumps (maybe coincidental), but this time the ghost didn't do poo poo--biggest activity bump during this time was a 1. So i figured, okay, maybe I'll have to go in and grab the emf. The loving second i step inside, the door slams behind me, my flashlight starts flickering, and the ghost starts appearing a few meters in front of me, and we both yell irl lol. I guess she was just standing there getting pissed listening to me chant her name and waiting for me to walk in like a dumbass

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Deeturbomber posted:

I heard they fixed the spinning door on one of the farmhouses and that makes me sad.

EDIT:

I went to look for information on the spinning door and found a couple funny clips of it happening. Sad I missed that bug lol

While looking for that I also ran across the subreddit, and, lol reddit:

running through a dark house with the spirit box in one hand and my boner in the other yelling "LET ME GARGLE YOUR BALLS"

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 9, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Objectives:
  • Discover what type of Ghost we are dealing with
  • Capture a photo of the Ghost
  • Touch a ghostly booba
  • Cum on the ghost

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I like to imagine the ghosts are just trying to do their regular daily stuff like this guy

https://twitter.com/USofJR/status/1364654550993432576

and then they get frustrated because people are rolling in and shouting their name and throwing tools all over the place

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

My partner managed to accidentally snap an interaction photo from inside the van on Tanglewood :confused:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 27, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD7l0bFGctQ

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
What's the current difference between the beta branch and steam branch? Would I be able to get an idea by basically looking at all the beta changes since the last steam update?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Haha oh man, just read through the changelog and that's a lot of changes and fixes! Looking forward to trying them all out, seems like it'll feel pretty different.

Kind of funny that there were these apparent safe zones that i only learned about because they got patched out lol

Also he shouldn't have fixed dead players interacting with the ouija imo

E: actually i would love to see more dead player interaction possibilities. Maybe even interact with the ghost!

Also very curious what that bugfix is about re: ghosts not killing someone completely

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So it turns out the toilets in the high school are made for people with absolutely enormous asses, like 3x the size of the investigators. Were the high school students really big, or are the investigators really tiny? :spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBb--M6qTCY

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The sound sensors could be useful if you have someone hanging in the van to monitor cameras and instruments--usually on a full 4-person team. Having a van person can be useful for slowing average sanity loss. So if you have a full team, on the larger maps it could be useful to have someone run in and throw down a few sensors, especially in hallways or very large rooms if you suspect the ghost might be in one of the larger areas. It'll at least trip the sensor and give a general location. But I haven't found a lot of use for the sensors specifically.

Re: the parabolic mics, my partner and I swear by them now in the big maps. Prison/high school and larger, it's a game changer. We've gotten our high school times as low as 13 minutes for positive ghost ID and all optional objectives, and we can usually pinpoint the ghost room on the larger maps with a speed comparable to the small houses, with just two people. As long as you're split up, and aware of where the other person is (so you know you're not picking up their sounds), you can cover HUGE amounts of ground with the parabolic mic to get a general direction and narrow down the ghost room fast.

Our standard first-go loadout for medium+ maps is now flashlight, parabolic mic for the general area, then thermometer for positive confirmation of the ghost room.

The mic kicks rear end.

e:

mercenarynuker posted:

I'd love to see a graveyard level. Have crypts and tombs and stuff. Garden sheds for hiding. Maybe various sections could be a "room".
Graveyard would own. I'd also like to see :
  • Apartments/condos
  • Mall or maybe strip mall
  • An old church, maybe with a spoopy bell tower
  • A campsite with cabins
  • A factory and/or lab of some sort
  • maybe an old youth center (could be similar-ish to the high school but more small/medium sized
:agreed: on reclassification

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Nice! Glad to see more progress on this game. I still wish the dev behind it would hire help to get things moving along faster, though, because I want more more more.
:agreed:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 26, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh my god, an amusement park and ship level would rule

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Candles are extremely good for that, and on the bigger maps I'll usually take one in to turn the breaker on if it's sufficiently far from the entrance. But aside from that I usually don't sweat my sanity too hard (though that might change once the ghost speed changes leave beta)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'd been thinking about exactly this scenario for a long time and I'm so happy to see this skit p much mirror my thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5OPTj7fKVw

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Yes this. When these people get home, they're going to be mighty confused by all the random equipment just left about.

They need to add another option above professional where you have to bring back all your equipment and/or exorcise the ghost.
I keep saying, there ought to be an expansion or something in the future (if he ever hires a team) where you come back as the ghost removal team! It's even a thing that the guy in the van talks about constantly. That would own so hard

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Salt completes a bonus objective, and it can help narrow down whether a ghost is wandering around a specific area

The motion lights can do a similar thing, with the added bonus of being hella visible on camera
Also, for a certain amount of time after walking through salt a ghost will leave actual footprints that are visible in UV light, so you can see exactly where it is. For this reason I usually drop the glowsticks around where we dropped the salt.

Aside from that though, they're never evidence, but they are bonus money: A photo of a disturbed salt mound taken shortly after the footstep happens is money, and photos of the glowing footprints are easy money (as far as I can tell, it's $$$ per footstep so if you've got some photo slots to fill for bonus cash, welp)

Note that wraiths don't leave ghostly footsteps. So if you watch a salt pile get stepped on, and there's no glowing footsteps in UV, it's almost definitely a wraith.

Motion lights I never hosed with because I didn't really see the point. I'm testing a full set of them right now in training mode, and as far as I can tell their main utility would be to line a ghost room with them, and/or the area just outside the ghost room, to get an idea of where it is and how active. It gives similar information as the sound or motion sensors, but you don't have to be in the van to know if they're getting tripped. They could potentially be useful in the bigger maps, especially if you've got a hallway ghost, so you can have a better idea where to put things like the journal, or where to go with your EMF reader.

They haven't made the ghost visible at all during my test just now so that was probably a lucky coincidence.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 3, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, the ghost appearing right when it sets off the light has happened like 3-4 times to me, often enough that I internalized that being the mechanic... is there anything that consistently makes it appear? I'm trying to figure out if I'd been doing anything else at the same time to proc it, but the only thing I can think is that maybe the extra noise of me loving around and setting up a bunch of gadgets pissed it off.
Mainly, it's chance. Some ghosts are more active than others and are more likely to show themselves. Onis are especially noisy and in your face. Generally speaking though, the more noise you're making and the more you're provoking it, the more chances you get to make it show itself--though again, there's the chance that you can be repeating its name and saying motherfucker nonstop and it still won't show itself until it hunts you, that's happened to me on a lot of hunts. I think they're just bashful uwu ghosts

Here's a short clip from the game I've got running atm showing hella motion lights going off with nothing showing itself (it's a Yurei):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMbjP_ahXxc

So remember how I said it'd be "almost definitely" a wraith if it didn't leave ghostly footsteps after stepping in salt? I thought I'd try and get a clip demonstrating the footsteps at the same time, but instead I showed why I said "almost" lol. Not sure why they don't sometimes leave footsteps, either it's a bug or a hidden (but large) chance to proc.

quote:

This is getting under the hood a bit, but has anyone figured out what exactly the ghost's movement rules are when it's not on a Hunt? I've had rounds where I was almost certain I knew exactly where it was standing based on objects being interacted with, but I'm unclear on whether it just wanders around in the ghost room, or stands in one place or what.
I'd be interested to know this too. I know that it generally wanders around its favorite room for the most part, and has a chance of going to wander through the rest of the building. Certain ghost types are more or less likely to wander.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zerilan posted:

I don't always manage to find footprints after salt, so our group mostly just goes off of footsteps eliminating wraith rather than lack meaning a wraith.
Yeah that makes a lot more sense

quote:

We still always lay down all the salt to try and get footsteps either way to try to get footprints because a contract ended without all the cameras used up is hardly a contract at all.
:haibrower:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mason Dixon posted:

But, the glowing feet only show if you hear the ghost taking several rapid steps in a row, they don't show for single steps. If there were no feet after the rapid steps and it wasn't a wraith, that sounds like a bug.
ahhhh, that's the piece I was missing, thanks!

Zerilan posted:

Also definitely recommend trying out the beta branch. Game feels scary again now that you can't easily kite every non-rev around forever.
I'm real interested after seeing the new changes in action. How long do beta changes usually take to make it to the main release? If it's long enough I might just go beta

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This video should answer most of your questions, it helped me a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO48OU8Hb0g

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Two new ghosts coming up!

Yokai: Attracted to human voices and will get very angry if you speak near it, and when hunting can only hear voices very close to it
Evidence: Spirit box, ghost orb, ghost writing

Hantu: Moves faster in cold areas and slower in warmer ones, possibly more aggressive when it's cold?
Evidence: Fingerprints, ghost orb, ghost writing

I got the info from this short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd1kY0yUE8U

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1402023199936761857

Finally, we can kiss the ghosts

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ghost kissing drops in under an hour

https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1403384193460092929

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm loving the more active and aggressive changes to gameplay. I'm really glad the dev hasn't dropped the ball with new updates and keeping people engaged.
Yeah same! I've re-learned my respect for the ghosts, and the smudge sticks are way more important now, crucial as hell in the later stages of an investigation when they start hunting you.

The new changes have taught me that the bathroom stalls almost certainly work like lockers/closets; they're my go-to hiding place in the high school during hunts now. Smudge, scurry to a stall, hang out there. I've seen ghosts bump up against the stall I'm hiding in and walk around and even open the stall door, but they haven't come inside to check yet.

edit: Beta patch is live!

quote:

Steam | Beta Branch

New
Added a new ghost type Yokai.
Added a new ghost type Hantu.
Added a new daily challenge "Capture a 3 star ghost photo".
Added a new daily challenge "Capture a Dirty Water photo".
Added a way to reset corrupt save files. This is a very rare occurrence, if you get this please join our discord and ask for help.
Added a bad word/ profanity filter for usernames and room names. Please report if your name is not offensive and is being caught by this.
Added a sell button in the item store that will give you back 50% of the price.
Added text to show the name of the level below the map in the truck.
Added a confirmation timer if you change your resolution.
Added a new small house map called Willow Street House. This map has no closets or lockers to hide inside and has been designed around hiding behind furniture.

Changes
Updated to the latest Photon release which will bring network optimisations and fixes.
The smudge sticks smoking time has been reduced from 15 to 6 seconds to match the ghost delay during a hunt.
The ghost will now walk to the front of the closet/ locker if it sees or hears you inside rather than walking past.
If you fall out of the map or go out of bounds you will now be teleported to the last place you were instead of back to the truck.
The high school top and bottom floor corridors have now been split into 3 sections each. This will make evidence be more accurate to where the ghost is.
The Truck has been moved closer to the entrance on Prison.
Kicked players will now be automatically kicked when they rejoin.
The ghost now has a small chance to wander far from it’s room.
Slightly increased the Demons chance to hunt.

Fixes
Improved the performance and load times on most house maps.
Potential fix for player voices sometimes going high pitch.
High School: Fixed a bug where sound sensors showed the wrong corridor names.
Potential fix for a rare bug where the ghost moves in the first 5 seconds of the hunt.
Fixed a bug where equipment didn’t teleport back to the truck if they fell out of bounds.
Potential fix for the current ghost room sometimes being set to the wrong room which was breaking evidence such as temperature.
Fixed a bug where new players would have their volume set to the old players volume.
Fixed a bug where the ghost couldn’t kill you in some closets.
Fixed several safe spots.
Fixed a bug where players would still show in the audio options after they have left.
Fixed a bug where the resolution would sometimes be set very low when launching for the first time.
Fixed a bug where Sensors could be placed on walls behind other objects.
Fixed a bug where the ghost was never wandering out of it’s room.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 11, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Willow House is really cool! It's a very cute little 2-bedroom that notably uses a lot of new textures and doors. Lots of little nooks to potentially hide from the ghost, not sure how effective a lot of them are yet because I've managed to avoid getting hunted like a boss, but I like it a lot.

No ghost kissing yet.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

someone who deserves to be haunted

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You have to wait until the ghost is close to you to start the smudge. I don't think you can smudge from outside the range and bring it in while it's smoking, I've gotten killed every time I tried that. There's no visual or audio indication that you smudged the ghost properly, you just have to wait until you can hear your heartbeat and they're within 3 meters of you to light the smudge, then get away. During the 5 or so seconds the ghost is stunned by the smudge, you can run through the ghost and nothing will happen.

When I have the "smudge during a hunt" objective I'll usually wait near my chosen hiding spot, trigger a hunt, then yell until the ghost comes to me so I can smudge it and quick dip into my hiding spot

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1405597964794531846

I can't wait for the announcement of Phasmophobia Battle Royale

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh yeah you should def hop back in and give it a try. My partner and I are close to level 600 and we still get got every now and then (got a total team wipe just a couple days ago even). Ghosts are a lot more aggressive now, certain ones far more so, and they speed up when they have line of sight on you so you can't just endlessly kite everything but revenants anymore.

personally I'm looking forward to the Phasmophobia BR where 100 ghost hunters drop in on a map and have to identify 100 ghosts in the time limit

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My partner and I rarely do Asylum, but it's not too bad with the parabolic mics. Our times are roughly comparable to the high school; it helps that the basement only has one hallway per wing instead of two like the first floor.

Looks like the big announcement is two more devs hired on to the team! I was thinking it was going to be some kind of feature or something but this is good too, hopefully we start seeing more added to the game soon.

https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1405924247617343495

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm actually working on a tongue-in-cheek GAAAAAME THEORY idea on why everyone moves so slowly and if they change that I'm going to have to start over from scratch lol