Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

There are a few tools I'm really struggling to see the purpose of-

Motion-activated light thingie: is this for getting ghost photos? The only use I've found is if I plant it in the ghost room and back off with a camera, sometimes the ghost will walk through it and appear when it turns on.

Salt: What is this even for? Footsteps/disturbed salt isn't useful to narrow down what kind of critter it is, I've tried photographing disturbed salt a few times but I don't think it counts as evidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

There are a few tools I'm really struggling to see the purpose of-

Motion-activated light thingie: is this for getting ghost photos? The only use I've found is if I plant it in the ghost room and back off with a camera, sometimes the ghost will walk through it and appear when it turns on.

Salt: What is this even for? Footsteps/disturbed salt isn't useful to narrow down what kind of critter it is, I've tried photographing disturbed salt a few times but I don't think it counts as evidence?

Salt completes a bonus objective, and it can help narrow down whether a ghost is wandering around a specific area

The motion lights can do a similar thing, with the added bonus of being hella visible on camera

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd been thinking about exactly this scenario for a long time and I'm so happy to see this skit p much mirror my thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5OPTj7fKVw

Yes this. When these people get home, they're going to be mighty confused by all the random equipment just left about.

They need to add another option above professional where you have to bring back all your equipment and/or exorcise the ghost.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Yes this. When these people get home, they're going to be mighty confused by all the random equipment just left about.

They need to add another option above professional where you have to bring back all your equipment and/or exorcise the ghost.
I keep saying, there ought to be an expansion or something in the future (if he ever hires a team) where you come back as the ghost removal team! It's even a thing that the guy in the van talks about constantly. That would own so hard

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Salt completes a bonus objective, and it can help narrow down whether a ghost is wandering around a specific area

The motion lights can do a similar thing, with the added bonus of being hella visible on camera
Also, for a certain amount of time after walking through salt a ghost will leave actual footprints that are visible in UV light, so you can see exactly where it is. For this reason I usually drop the glowsticks around where we dropped the salt.

Aside from that though, they're never evidence, but they are bonus money: A photo of a disturbed salt mound taken shortly after the footstep happens is money, and photos of the glowing footprints are easy money (as far as I can tell, it's $$$ per footstep so if you've got some photo slots to fill for bonus cash, welp)

Note that wraiths don't leave ghostly footsteps. So if you watch a salt pile get stepped on, and there's no glowing footsteps in UV, it's almost definitely a wraith.

Motion lights I never hosed with because I didn't really see the point. I'm testing a full set of them right now in training mode, and as far as I can tell their main utility would be to line a ghost room with them, and/or the area just outside the ghost room, to get an idea of where it is and how active. It gives similar information as the sound or motion sensors, but you don't have to be in the van to know if they're getting tripped. They could potentially be useful in the bigger maps, especially if you've got a hallway ghost, so you can have a better idea where to put things like the journal, or where to go with your EMF reader.

They haven't made the ghost visible at all during my test just now so that was probably a lucky coincidence.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 3, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh, the ghost appearing right when it sets off the light has happened like 3-4 times to me, often enough that I internalized that being the mechanic... is there anything that consistently makes it appear? I'm trying to figure out if I'd been doing anything else at the same time to proc it, but the only thing I can think is that maybe the extra noise of me loving around and setting up a bunch of gadgets pissed it off.

This is getting under the hood a bit, but has anyone figured out what exactly the ghost's movement rules are when it's not on a Hunt? I've had rounds where I was almost certain I knew exactly where it was standing based on objects being interacted with, but I'm unclear on whether it just wanders around in the ghost room, or stands in one place or what.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

They haven't made the ghost visible at all during my test just now so that was probably a lucky coincidence.

Would be great if it was the case. Actually getting the ghost to appear or do a proper ghost event always feels impossible when they're objectives.

edit: I think they largely wander randomly, primarily sticking to their favored room. Exception being banshees who will sometimes go to their preferred target regardless of distance.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, the ghost appearing right when it sets off the light has happened like 3-4 times to me, often enough that I internalized that being the mechanic... is there anything that consistently makes it appear? I'm trying to figure out if I'd been doing anything else at the same time to proc it, but the only thing I can think is that maybe the extra noise of me loving around and setting up a bunch of gadgets pissed it off.
Mainly, it's chance. Some ghosts are more active than others and are more likely to show themselves. Onis are especially noisy and in your face. Generally speaking though, the more noise you're making and the more you're provoking it, the more chances you get to make it show itself--though again, there's the chance that you can be repeating its name and saying motherfucker nonstop and it still won't show itself until it hunts you, that's happened to me on a lot of hunts. I think they're just bashful uwu ghosts

Here's a short clip from the game I've got running atm showing hella motion lights going off with nothing showing itself (it's a Yurei):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMbjP_ahXxc

So remember how I said it'd be "almost definitely" a wraith if it didn't leave ghostly footsteps after stepping in salt? I thought I'd try and get a clip demonstrating the footsteps at the same time, but instead I showed why I said "almost" lol. Not sure why they don't sometimes leave footsteps, either it's a bug or a hidden (but large) chance to proc.

quote:

This is getting under the hood a bit, but has anyone figured out what exactly the ghost's movement rules are when it's not on a Hunt? I've had rounds where I was almost certain I knew exactly where it was standing based on objects being interacted with, but I'm unclear on whether it just wanders around in the ghost room, or stands in one place or what.
I'd be interested to know this too. I know that it generally wanders around its favorite room for the most part, and has a chance of going to wander through the rest of the building. Certain ghost types are more or less likely to wander.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I don't always manage to find footprints after salt, so our group mostly just goes off of footsteps eliminating wraith rather than lack meaning a wraith. We still always lay down all the salt to try and get footsteps either way to try to get footprints because a contract ended without all the cameras used up is hardly a contract at all.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zerilan posted:

I don't always manage to find footprints after salt, so our group mostly just goes off of footsteps eliminating wraith rather than lack meaning a wraith.
Yeah that makes a lot more sense

quote:

We still always lay down all the salt to try and get footsteps either way to try to get footprints because a contract ended without all the cameras used up is hardly a contract at all.
:haibrower:

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The only real (edge-case) use I've heard of for the motion lights is if you're doing a no-evidence challenge run and think you might have a revenant. A line of them in a hallway can help you see if the ghost is moving significantly faster or slower than normal during a hunt, visually and by timing it. I'm not sure if this is still viable after the recent hunting changes in the beta branch, though.

So remember how I said it'd be "almost definitely" a wraith if it didn't leave ghostly footsteps after stepping in salt? I thought I'd try and get a clip demonstrating the footsteps at the same time, but instead I showed why I said "almost" lol. Not sure why they don't sometimes leave footsteps, either it's a bug or a hidden (but large) chance to proc.

Regarding glowing footsteps and wraiths, as far as I've heard/seen, it should for sure be a wraith if there's no glowing feet after stepping in salt. But, the glowing feet only show if you hear the ghost taking several rapid steps in a row, they don't show for single steps. If there were no feet after the rapid steps and it wasn't a wraith, that sounds like a bug.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Also definitely recommend trying out the beta branch. Game feels scary again now that you can't easily kite every non-rev around forever.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mason Dixon posted:

But, the glowing feet only show if you hear the ghost taking several rapid steps in a row, they don't show for single steps. If there were no feet after the rapid steps and it wasn't a wraith, that sounds like a bug.
ahhhh, that's the piece I was missing, thanks!

Zerilan posted:

Also definitely recommend trying out the beta branch. Game feels scary again now that you can't easily kite every non-rev around forever.
I'm real interested after seeing the new changes in action. How long do beta changes usually take to make it to the main release? If it's long enough I might just go beta

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ahhhh, that's the piece I was missing, thanks!

I'm real interested after seeing the new changes in action. How long do beta changes usually take to make it to the main release? If it's long enough I might just go beta

Not sure, group I play with always jumps straight to the betas. Hiding works pretty well in some cases although some furniture we're not every sure on, like if tables are "solid" up to their height or if ghosts see under the gaps, etc. Hunts feel dangerous regardless of map/ghost type now. Closets/lockers are still pretty safe if you stay quiet, but having to be quiet makes it feel like you're actually hiding, (and hiding in a closet alone isn't always that safe because it can attempt to open both doors at once and one person might not reclose both fast enough). It makes the objectives that require hunts feel a lot tougher.

Revenants are still really dangerous since they are at their top speed instantly instead of speeding up (although the ghost speed feels like it ramps up relatively quick). Jinn are probably the scariest thing now. We kill the breaker anytime we either get two evidences that leave Jinn on the table, or we get an EMF 5 (which keeps jinn and eliminates mare).

I do think candle needs nerfed slightly. The loss of sanity drain is pretty massive and it's a ghost finding item now with them being blown out. On 4 person medium/large maps we tend to travel in pairs now with one keeping a candle out. Whenever it's getting close to hunt range we always have at least one person holding a lighter+smudge now. It saves so many lives. (usually the others are holding a photo camera + the spare smudges)

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Omi no Kami posted:

Maybe not exactly what you want but this guy on YouTube dives into the mechanics quite often.

https://youtube.com/c/Psychoooo

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Ok, still struggling with the parabolic. When sweeping with it, how are you supposed to use it? Can you just point it down a hallway in, say, the high school and it will pick up any sounds in the classrooms on the side? Can I be running through the hallways and have it still work (like an EMF), or should I pause and scan for a moment (like a thermometer), or take a longer pause?

Does it amplify the sounds, or is it just the little numbers go up? What constitutes a possible reading, any number? Or just something above a certain amount? I get a lot of like 0.4 readings as I sweep, but I dunno if I'm moving too fast. Obviously higher number equals louder/closer, but what is considered a "high number"?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This video should answer most of your questions, it helped me a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO48OU8Hb0g

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Hey everyone, want to make an easy :10bux:? You can complete the "Reach Zero Sanity" daily in the training mission!

Also, what are all these keys you can pick up for? Like obvs the front door key, and the car key lets you turn off the car alarm if it gets triggered. But what does, for instance, the Garage Key or Basement Key matter?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mercenarynuker posted:

Hey everyone, want to make an easy :10bux:? You can complete the "Reach Zero Sanity" daily in the training mission!

Also, what are all these keys you can pick up for? Like obvs the front door key, and the car key lets you turn off the car alarm if it gets triggered. But what does, for instance, the Garage Key or Basement Key matter?

In a very early version, the basement and garage in the residence maps would start locked. That got changed ages ago but the keys remained. I think the extraneous keys got removed in the current beta update actually.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The keys existed for the satisfying jingly sound made when picked up, a small bit of familiar comfort now ripped away from me.

also last night on the beta I saw someone get themselves killed by eating chips while hiding

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
My cat got me killed this past weekend. She's in heat and her screaming attracted the ghost to my locker. It was incredible

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Zerilan posted:

also last night on the beta I saw someone get themselves killed by eating chips while hiding

I always make sure to mute my mic if I'm going to munch and/or crunch while I'm hiding. Simple safety precautions save lives! ⛑️

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

JordanKai posted:

I always make sure to mute my mic if I'm going to munch and/or crunch while I'm hiding. Simple safety precautions save lives! ⛑️

We hang in discord while we play since there's usually a couple extra people in the channel just watching/chatting, so to balance out the advantage not needing the radio has we keep local push to talk off and keep mics unmuted.

I got someone else killed the round after because I was hiding in a locker, it started to open a few seconds later so I immediately pulled it closed again thinking the ghost was opening it on me but it was someone else trying to get into the locker.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

The beta branch feels like it's settled into a good groove where a game night will have several good rounds. Gone are the days of multiple do nothing ghosts that won't even hunt when you repeat the name over and over and over again.

Either that or I've been on a lucky streak.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Two new ghosts coming up!

Yokai: Attracted to human voices and will get very angry if you speak near it, and when hunting can only hear voices very close to it
Evidence: Spirit box, ghost orb, ghost writing

Hantu: Moves faster in cold areas and slower in warmer ones, possibly more aggressive when it's cold?
Evidence: Fingerprints, ghost orb, ghost writing

I got the info from this short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd1kY0yUE8U

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

A ghost type with Spirit Box evidence that gets angry when you speak near it. :allears:

I'm super excited for new ghost types and new tools. I'd also love a bit more work on some of the old tools to help make it useful to finding ghosts, or ways to defend yourself a bit better during hunts.

For instance the Infrared motion detectors would be super cool if you could set them up in long halls to slow ghosts down during a hunt because they trigger the light and it spooks/blinds them or something to give you time to escape. Especially with the new side objectives and the fact all ghosts can accelerate to be faster than you now.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 18, 2021

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
i had a very spooky dream last night. i dreamt i was playing phasmophobia but irl and the tall vampire lady from the new resident evil was chasing me. and i did not have my blunt to save me. :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

E

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1402023199936761857

Finally, we can kiss the ghosts

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Alright, we have a freezing, orb, and great kisser. What's still an option?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

me: *makes kissy noises into the microphone*

ghost: E

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
me: harsh but fair

*lights a smudge, cries in the corner*

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm loving the more active and aggressive changes to gameplay. I'm really glad the dev hasn't dropped the ball with new updates and keeping people engaged.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ghost kissing drops in under an hour

https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1403384193460092929

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm loving the more active and aggressive changes to gameplay. I'm really glad the dev hasn't dropped the ball with new updates and keeping people engaged.
Yeah same! I've re-learned my respect for the ghosts, and the smudge sticks are way more important now, crucial as hell in the later stages of an investigation when they start hunting you.

The new changes have taught me that the bathroom stalls almost certainly work like lockers/closets; they're my go-to hiding place in the high school during hunts now. Smudge, scurry to a stall, hang out there. I've seen ghosts bump up against the stall I'm hiding in and walk around and even open the stall door, but they haven't come inside to check yet.

edit: Beta patch is live!

quote:

Steam | Beta Branch

New
Added a new ghost type Yokai.
Added a new ghost type Hantu.
Added a new daily challenge "Capture a 3 star ghost photo".
Added a new daily challenge "Capture a Dirty Water photo".
Added a way to reset corrupt save files. This is a very rare occurrence, if you get this please join our discord and ask for help.
Added a bad word/ profanity filter for usernames and room names. Please report if your name is not offensive and is being caught by this.
Added a sell button in the item store that will give you back 50% of the price.
Added text to show the name of the level below the map in the truck.
Added a confirmation timer if you change your resolution.
Added a new small house map called Willow Street House. This map has no closets or lockers to hide inside and has been designed around hiding behind furniture.

Changes
Updated to the latest Photon release which will bring network optimisations and fixes.
The smudge sticks smoking time has been reduced from 15 to 6 seconds to match the ghost delay during a hunt.
The ghost will now walk to the front of the closet/ locker if it sees or hears you inside rather than walking past.
If you fall out of the map or go out of bounds you will now be teleported to the last place you were instead of back to the truck.
The high school top and bottom floor corridors have now been split into 3 sections each. This will make evidence be more accurate to where the ghost is.
The Truck has been moved closer to the entrance on Prison.
Kicked players will now be automatically kicked when they rejoin.
The ghost now has a small chance to wander far from it’s room.
Slightly increased the Demons chance to hunt.

Fixes
Improved the performance and load times on most house maps.
Potential fix for player voices sometimes going high pitch.
High School: Fixed a bug where sound sensors showed the wrong corridor names.
Potential fix for a rare bug where the ghost moves in the first 5 seconds of the hunt.
Fixed a bug where equipment didn’t teleport back to the truck if they fell out of bounds.
Potential fix for the current ghost room sometimes being set to the wrong room which was breaking evidence such as temperature.
Fixed a bug where new players would have their volume set to the old players volume.
Fixed a bug where the ghost couldn’t kill you in some closets.
Fixed several safe spots.
Fixed a bug where players would still show in the audio options after they have left.
Fixed a bug where the resolution would sometimes be set very low when launching for the first time.
Fixed a bug where Sensors could be placed on walls behind other objects.
Fixed a bug where the ghost was never wandering out of it’s room.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 11, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Willow House is really cool! It's a very cute little 2-bedroom that notably uses a lot of new textures and doors. Lots of little nooks to potentially hide from the ghost, not sure how effective a lot of them are yet because I've managed to avoid getting hunted like a boss, but I like it a lot.

No ghost kissing yet.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

No ghost kissing yet.

*cracks knuckles and applies lip balm

We'll see about that

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Willow House is really cool! It's a very cute little 2-bedroom that notably uses a lot of new textures and doors. Lots of little nooks to potentially hide from the ghost, not sure how effective a lot of them are yet because I've managed to avoid getting hunted like a boss, but I like it a lot.

No ghost kissing yet.

Did you even TRY to kiss the ghosts?!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
If I've had mono can I give it to the ghost? :ohdear:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Smudge nerf is brutal, new map is great, haven't seen a new ghost yet. 4/5 will keep getting spooked with griends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Biggest gripe I have about the new house: who the gently caress has glass-paned french style doors leading to their garage?