Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

I'm supremely ignorant about this. I'll do my best to bulletize facts:

-I cared for my dying and now deceased grandmother (I'm not looking for money)

-Her eldest son immediately kicked me out. (I'm not looking for money)

-He will inherit his percentage of her estate (not too much, $400,000 after closing costs to be split four ways)

-He has been living off of disability for decades despite biking 30 miles and hiking 5 to 10 miles a day while maintaining multiple properties under the table landscaping.

-He has applied for housing assistance through multiple Housing Authorities in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts after having declared bankruptcy several years ago with the deliberate intention to:

- He and his sister (my aunt, the executor of the will) plan to mask his fourth (1/4) of the house sale so he can continue to bilk the state while he has access to the tiny fortune from my grandmother and grandfather whom I loved and lived for and he was a burden to.

If this is the inappropriate forum for this question I apologize. I just had to go find a new place to rent and feel incredibly hurt and fragile right now. I'm not looking for money. I just want to know about the legality of him applying for housing assistance with full knowledge of an inheritance deliberately hidden on all application forms and the deliberate intention to mask and hide it moving forward.

Final point to make is the last will and testament states the estate will be broken up evenly between the 4 children, it has gone through probate. I'm a grandkid, no skin in the game. I just want to know if the inherent sense of right and wrong I'm feeling is legitimate and if there are steps which can be taken to redress.

Quick Edit: When I say I took care of her I mean I drained her pleural effusion for 6 months and took her to Mass General Hospital for a new experimental trial run and she died with me next to her after having made her last meal in her own bed. She died with dignity in her own bed.

Miloshe fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm so sorry you're going through such a situation with these people. They sound like real gems and unless there's a very good and very verifiable story, your distaste at their actions is understandable.

Look up your county's Bar Association - pretty much all of them have lawyer referral services. You give a brief description to the referral service people, and they pair you with a reputable lawyer in the area of practice that concerns the issue. In this case it'd probably someone for wills/deeds/probate/etc.

It usually only costs $35 or $50, and you get 30 minutes of actual consultation with a lawyer who'll give you an idea of what your options are. Some lawyers just do it for free but do be prepared to cut a check after the call.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Miloshe posted:

- He and his sister (my aunt, the executor of the will) plan to mask his fourth (1/4) of the house sale so he can continue to bilk the state while he has access to the tiny fortune from my grandmother and grandfather whom I loved and lived for and he was a burden to.

Final point to make is the last will and testament states the estate will be broken up evenly between the 4 children, it has gone through probate. I'm a grandkid, no skin in the game. I just want to know if the inherent sense of right and wrong I'm feeling is legitimate and if there are steps which can be taken to redress.

These two things will be a fun time!

Generally speaking, aand I don't know how your state/country works, but inheritances up to a certain amount are untaxed, and government benefits mostly go off income tax records. He probably doesn't need to commit fraud to "bilk" the state because the state (maybe) wouldn't take his benefits away.

That being said, if inheritances DO get in the way of receiving governmental assistance, then the inheritance that's gone through probate is either public record or is easily discoverable by any form of state audit.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this poo poo. Death and money brings out the absolute worst in people and if they're already pretty bad... well. Remember that it's not your duty to make everything just and pure and good, and that most injustice goes unanswered. Make sure you can look back at this in 1/5/25 years and feel okay about how things shook out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think you should think very carefully about whether you want to get involved in this or not, and what your motivations are for getting involved.