Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like there is a little bit of a murky area, in that what got everyone all upset in the last thread was some dude strolling in and calling all Biden voters white supremacists in the wrestling Twitter thread (as well as some inter-forum drama no one in their right mind should care about, idk) but people make jokes about all Brits being massive racists/paedos all the time, albeit maybe not so much on this particular forum. My personal attitude in this case is to either no sell it or give as good as you get, especially as, most of the time, you shouldn't be feeling sorry for (white) Brits or a system that forces you to vote for Joe Biden of all people.

Then there was another recent calamity in the wrestling Twitter thread, where someone making an admittedly ill-thought-out joke about Portuguese people was condemned as racist, because apparently in the US Portuguese people are legally considered to be Hispanic. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

this isn't at all what happened. suggest you re-read. that poster was directly accusing specific posters of being a white supremacist. and they were doing it specifically to provoke a reaction. that poster has a history of doing so.

I don't think it's that much different from what I said, though I understand what you're getting re: repeat offenders and being specific rather than general, I'll concede that. From what I recall, it started with a tweet of The Rock endorsing Biden and this lad saying something like "The Rock is a white supremacist", before moving on to "maybe you are all homosexuals white supremacists too!" when called out on it. They were obviously trolling, and I even wrote that they "(s)trolled in" in my post originally before thinking that it was awful wordplay. I had never seen them post in this forum before, then people starting bickering about cspam or something, and I don't know or care what that poo poo is.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I honestly don't see what makes it so different to what I said, though I fully confess to it maybe being more personal and specific than I initially let on. They came in, said that you're a white supremacist if you vote for Joe Biden (as in the post quoted above) as an obvious troll and waltzed off into the sunset. I fully admit to not knowing forum history/politics and have no desire to learn because why would I watch the show Paul.

Maybe it would have been better if we had a version of the Brass Eye paedophisles.jpg to blunt the edge with, idk.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

No one was complaining about attacks on Biden voters in general.

If you can’t understand the difference between broad generalizations about groups of people that may include a poster, vs a direct attack on a poster, like

“Americans are stupid” vs “Hedgehog Pie is a loving idiot”

And why one provokes a reaction, a hostile forum, and thread derails... I really, really, do not know what to tell you.

I think I understand what you're getting at, and I'm not deliberately trying to be obtuse here, I'm genuinely curious as to where it stands with other generalisations that people might regularly use for "humour", good or bad. Like, I don't know anything about MMA but the MMA posters were clarifying about making jokes about Brazilian fighters/crowds if it's used to mock a certain part of the fighting culture and thought it would be useful to bring it up. Sorry for not reading the offending posts properly.

Fwiw, I almost certainly am a loving idiot but loving idiots need the most attention/clarification.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Chris James 2 posted:

That poster has been a regular in Fight Island, frequently and almost entirely on-topic to that point.

Fair enough, my bad. I'm not very good with names! (I also don't really read the WWE/AEW discussion threads outside of recaps when I'm bored. :blush:) The end of the last thread and Jungle Boy's posts here seem to be indicating the opposite, but it's probably not important now anyway. Fairly casual poster here and I generally like the forum a lot, I just wanted to try and address a few things that have hit me in the past. Obviously I did it kind of badly.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't know if it's common knowledge who the death threater actually is amongst regulars now, but like, it's an Internet forum about people fighting who aren't actually fighting (and also pro wrestling). I am stunned that this sort of thing is still happening.

I think almost everyone here still has some very valid criticisms, it's just a shame that we apparently still have to put up with this mid-2000s nonsense. I hope CJ2 is okay and that we see them here again in the future.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Great news. Maybe I'll actually get plat now!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Wrestling related, and feedback related. I want The Rock to buy Something Awful, just like he did the XFL.

Well listen here Jeffrey, you jabroni, I'm afraid that while the contract does read "of YOSPOS"...

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I know that I've said this before, and I think it counts as forum specific content, but when people make posts like that can they please just say who/what it is that they're talking about? It is very useful to those who aren't that interested in forum politics but also want to steer clear of kiddie diddlers or whatever.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The only thing I can think of that was decided as being off-limits for jokes in the last thread, other than stuff that is obviously racist/sexist/etc, are paedophile jokes because enough people said that it made them uncomfortable, which is fair enough. What other joke rules are there?

I've made bad jokes before, some more offensive or overused than others. I just simply need to be told when I'm going too far so I can not do it again in the future. No need to completely ban certain jokes imo.

#freevinceflex

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't post in wrestling GDTs but from my experience in soccer and cricket GDTs, people tend to either no-sell random posts or tell them to gently caress off depending on whether the content is considered to be trolly. I know that WWE is a horrible corporation run by horrible people and that pro wrestling isn't really a sport, but... I don't know, insert joke about FIFA and ICC here I guess? My view is that you can just scroll over it because who cares but idk. It probably would be annoying if more than a few people did it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Gumball Gumption posted:

If it's to make a problem cool down it seems like everyone was already cool.

Yeah, this is what confused me about it tbh. I don't know how many people reported Cav's post, but it didn't seem to derail the thread or anything. People just carried on talking about bad wrestling gimmicks and having a fun/interesting conversation. It was all just so unnecessary.

I'll throw my hands up and admit that I don't always get Cav's sense of humour, but more often than not I think they're funny and at times they've posted some really good quality stuff. I feel like that there might be a few quiet lurkers who really don't like Cav's posting style and this might explain why it was reported more than Liquid Communism's post, which in my view was potentially more disruptive to the thread but still, not really worth fretting over since it was simply passed over by almost everyone.

Maybe we just need to a way to help the more passionate regulars who have posted in this thread and the quieter posters of the subforum (I would probably include myself in this latter group) get along a little better, to avoid more silly "culture clashes" if you will. I don't know how you'd do it, but I don't think most people here act in bad faith, and at the same time some people just need to accept that their tastes in humour aren't going to match everyone else's. We are simply united by a love of people in shiny underwear and gangsters who get to hit each other in the head for a living.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What even set that off? Lol.

Still got nothing on the gamergate guy though.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Punchsport Pagoda was fine and I didn't know what puro was for years despite being a wrestling fan since I was 9/10.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Alaois posted:

surely we must be worried about our name being too obscure, sitting next to a subforum called "The Wagatha Christie" in the directory

I will always back The Ray Parlour, even if that is also very obscure for everyone who wasn't a British football fan in the 90s/early 2000s.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I zipped through the thread and I think it's fair enough for people to have somewhere to go that's a bit more loosened up (or :justpost: and people stop giving a poo poo idk). I probably wouldn't be able to post there because my default stance is Very Serious and I love posting :words: about embarrassing television that a part of me actually loves, but one of the reasons I don't really follow threads about current stuff is that the atmos can get a bit intense... intense about wrestling.

I just hope I haven't spoilt anyone's fun whilst posting here, because I've posted a couple of times in things like collocation's problematic language thread. Not gonna justify that now, you probably should laugh at me for it, but overall I want to be here so I can reminisce about poo poo like the time Big Bossman fed Al Snow his own dog and then they fought over the remains of said dog in a wrestling match.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

collocation posted:

I like old wrestling. It doesn't make me mad. I don't expect what I post to make anyone else mad. It's just an angle to look at something that I'm watching anyway. And, while it's a post-hoc justification that didn't exist when I originally started, I think that what has been posted may serve as an interesting tool to see what Peacock deems worthy of deletion and what it is OK with.

But, y'know, different strokes for different folks. I didn't expect everyone to be interested in it or like it. I just figured that they would avoid reading threads that they hate just to be mad or whatever they feel about them.

Fwiw, just to clarify my post from earlier, I do find your thread kind of interesting and I do occasionally learn stuff from it. It's like how reading that Everyday Sexism blog can be a good way of taking a good look at yourself now and then, making you reflect on what is and isn't cool to say because it's not always obvious, even if I don't get a lot of your censoring stuff. Whether a wrestling comedy forum is a good place to do that depends on the person I guess, and those that think not can laugh at it but eh, nice to have room for both types of posts somewhere on the forums anyway.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I would also like to say that I think karmicknight seems like a good egg and that Eeyore was always my favourite Winnie the Pooh character.

I like donkeys.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 14, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't usually know which users or threads are being talked about when this stuff comes up because not that many examples are usually cited directly, but I thought one of the core issues was that no rules were actually being broken so reporting posts isn't really worth it? Like, people just want to post about Chris Jericho without being told that Chris Jericho donated to Trump or whatever every time, right? It seems reasonable to me. It's exhausting having to defend the poo poo you like and there's also a plague on so everyone Wang Chung tonight.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
After this discussion I don't even know what fun posts and unfun posts are anymore. You all keep coming out with your real names, black jeans and NWO t-shirts.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I like to laugh don't be mean also I had to look up what Dangan Ronpa is.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Really my only concern would be that the new forum was just a place to laugh at and be snarky towards people who don't quite share your sense of humour (yeah yeah yeah I know this used to be SA's bread and butter) but I think you're all good people and also tao and yea ok have explained things well enough that even a dumdum like me can understand. Let the good times roll. :)

Also I want to post vinceflex again.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

NienNunb posted:

I honestly don't have any opinions on that thread one way or the other but it truly isn't the end of the world to be made fun of. On no other subforum would someone post a thread and it be expected that nobody ever even lightly roast it.

You're right in that it's not the end of the world and roasting's fine, but like, the barbs in the QCS thread were just "Lol, look at this stupid twat, they are everything that is wrong with these forums", which I think would probably leave a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths, on any forum, here or elsewhere. A sour taste much like The Rock's poontang pie. Luckily none of those folks seem to actually post here and most peeps are cool. :)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
There is at least a little bit of context required imo. Like, I don't feel bad for making jokes about Antonio Inoki being a fascist in the Dark Side of the Ring thread because everyone reading that thread will be miserable already, but I'm pretty sure my last post in this forum before that was acknowledging a roast by way of OH MY GOOOOOODDDDD, COOOOOMMMMME! Much like soccerball, I think many of us are a game of two halves.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever posted sober in the EPA, and that includes that bad take thread I made. I thought that was mostly the point of the sub.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
For the record, I was never against TEPA, rather it's just that I'm not funny enough to post there. Which has been confirmed by my posts in TEPA.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Don't put spoilers in thread titles you twit.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Joy can be hard to come by in this world. If people get joy from watching wrestling unspoiled, it's just a nice thing to acknowledge that in thread titles at least, right?

Hatred is bad regardless. I don't think that the two things are comparable?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I made the bad take thread in EPA and EMF is right on the money, it was definitely not meant as a serious thread. Now I feel like I'm indirectly responsible for that awful remake thread.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

??? then post and discuss it? i don't see what the problem is. you act like posters are dunking on someone every-time they make a serious post, which certainly does not happen. i like reading the serious posts as much as reading the funny posts, and i think that goes for a lot of others as well. just because someone dunked on your post or whatever doesn't mean someone else read it and enjoyed it.

sometimes i read serious posts and i agree with them, and i don't have anything else to say to add to it. i'm an idiot so it's easier for me to quote a funny post and say "lol"

anyways people should just post. this is the best wrestling forum online and i don't think anyone should be afraid to post here

As a casual poster and someone who very rarely watches AEW, this is how I feel. I like reading informative, well-written serious posts and I like making jokes. I've posted in collocation's thread and I've posted about the drat cum truck. I don't think they're quite so mutually exclusive as people make out. Wrestling is fascinating, deep and completely ridiculous all in the same breath.

I think some people could occasionally use a quick breather if they're starting to form sour opinions about people who aren't objectively terrible, or just use the ignore button. I'm not trying to dismiss anyone's thoughts by saying that, but if you're at the point where you're claiming that Kungfu Grip is a belligerent WWE defender or, on a more serious note, deciding that someone is a bigot for completely arbitrary reasons (like not liking the same wrestlers/promotions as you), then I think it's just in everyone's best interests if you take some time to collect yourself before everyone gets even more pissed off with further misunderstandings. There's a two-way element to that too of course. Take it to DMs maybe if you're struggling.

The "list" was just bizarre though. MRT has a rich knowledge of wrestling history that I love diving into, and NienNunb in particular is a good egg in my books. Just getting that out there. ✌️

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Rarity is a good egg and I'm still a bit pissed off that some joker decided to ruin their worst gimmick tournament by being a stupid jackass.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've got to admit, the only times I've walked away from the forum feeling a bit miffed are when someone claims I must be a huge transphobe because of where I'm from or that I must be a racist etc on the back of some innocuous comment I or others have made.

For example, I remember when Bad Bunny showed up in WWE and multiple people claimed that they didn't know who he was. Most people didn't know who he was because, like me, they're a bunch of dweebs who don't listen to chart music, and we can have a laugh about that, but one or two people came in insisting that actually we're all racist because Bad Bunny is a Spanish-language musician and we're being dismissive of that and the demand for it. The problem is that if you legit didn't know who he was, you wouldn't know that! Not to mention that, for me living in the UK, there isn't really a dedicated market for Spanish-language music here (someone also claimed that we should know who they were because they performed at the Super Bowl and I don't know the first thing about American football, but that's more funny than annoying).

I realise that I'm massively privileged to have that as my biggest grievance but there it is anyway. I also don't want to sound dismissive, but as some people have implied here, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the people spiking the tournament polls and buying the Trump avatar were disgruntled people who were banned or anonymous lurking trolls rather than forum regulars. Obviously I can't prove that but it's my gut feeling/what I hope.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I would apologise for most of my probes as most of them are from when I was extremely drunk and being a poopoohead. I didn't agree with one of them but it's not like it ruined me on an unrelated topic I need budgeting advice.

My feedback is that I agree with the above post if that guy was also the Gamergate guy, that guy ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The AEW threads don't seem very chill.