Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sorry to pop in here, if this was in the OP and I overlooked it please let me know. Where are you finding this at? Is this on Crunchy Roll?

Hulu.

I ran across Higurashi back in college and binged the first 8 episodes (Onikakushi-hen and Wataganashi-hen) in one sitting. At night. Not the wisest decision of my life.

Something about these new character designs rubs me the wrong way, especially Keiichi, who looks like a cheap knockoff of himself to me. But this might be the instinctive "it's not the saaaaaaaaaaame!!1!" feeling that remakes can bring out in an old fan. Plus, I'm gonna miss those crazy faces, which really added to the Higurashi Experience at the time. But aside from that, I'm optimistic, especially about the slower pacing. I never played the VN, and probably never will, so I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the content that was cut. I'm half tempted to go back and rewatch the first episode of 2006 Higurashi to see if the Spooky Rena/Mion moments showed up so soon.

I am furious about that stinger, though. Passione is playing their cards too soon! One of the great qualities of Higurashi is the slow buildup--be it the building creepiness that explodes into violence each arc, or the more and more clues you get with each arc that Something Is hosed in sleepy ol' Hinamizawa. And one of the great buildups in the story IMO is the true nature of Rika. Part of what made it so great was that she seems so innocuous early on, but then the clues start building up that she is more than what it seems, and then....well, the actual reveal blew my mind at the time. But here they're almost screaming THAT GIRL AIN'T RIGHT from the get go. For shame, Passione, for shame. Maybe the studio thinks that the story is so well known that there's no point in hiding the big reveal?

e. Yeah, in 2006 the Spooky Rena/Mion moments are more quietly done, the first episode is almost entirely light-hearted school days between the beginning murders and the magazine discovery at the end.

And speaking of which, I forgot to mention that I lost my poo poo when the original opening started playing at the magazine scene in this first episode. That was my "Welcome to back to Hinamizawa" moment. :getin:

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

The Colonel posted:

all of these strengths are more strengths of the vn, and the 2006 anime sticking to it. things like the spooky faces in the old show otoh were entirely its own invention and imo, while memorable, didn't really actually stay in line with the tone the story is meant to be setting. i've got a lot of complaints with how the old anime balanced the tone of the story in the first season... but also every higurashi adaptation ever plays so hard into that same kind of tone that i'm not expecting parts of this new one to really feel that different, especially after ep 1's new bizarre end-of-ep stinger

the other weird thing is that like... in terms of cut scenes, this is more of an opportunity to see scenes that were cut from the old anime actually adapted in the correct order, than anything else, because the old anime took the bizarre approach of stuffing most of the big moments it skipped into the start of season 2. so honestly like half of the big new stuff you're gonna see is stuff you've already seen, just, only previously seen weirdly chopped out into its own little box. in theory this'll be better for the writing but i'm not 100% sure it'll help much if they keep doing weird stuff like they did with skipping old maid

anyway now that i've said all that i think i'm going to try and take a step back in this kind of discussion cause i feel really strongly about it all, but it's not like i'm ever gonna convince people to read the vn who don't want to and if i post about this stuff every week it's probly just gonna make this thread annoying to read

Oh, I don't mean to say that the anime (2006 or 2020 for that matter) is better than the VN by any means. I have no doubt that all of the strengths of the anime come straight from the VN--I'm ride or die for WTC, I know how good Ryukishi's writing can be. But I finally bought Umineko for myself instead of just reading LPs and whatnot, and adding a whole 'nother 8 episodes to read is just a little too much to commit to at the moment, especially with Ciconia now being released. Higurashi will always have a special place in my heart for introducing me to WTC, but tbh I think it's the weakest part of the series (though that has more to do with my high opinion of Umineko/Ciconia than weaknesses in Higurashi). So, frankly speaking, reading the later VNs will always take priority for me.

That and...the sprites. I just can't. I know, I know, it's shallow as hell, and I even like Ryukishi's sprites in later works! But Higurashi's sprites are just... :negative: The first time I saw them, I thought they were really crappy fanart that were inexplicably popular.

FWIW, I do appreciate your viewpoint (and hell, you're probably right, VNs are usually too big for a truly faithful adaptation), and I'm thankful that you've decided to hold off to let us anime stans natter on about the show. Assuming] Passione really does animate the whole shebang, I would like to hear your issues with both/either shows once we get to that last episode of Kai.

Maera Sior posted:

I swear we're going to get to the VNs (currently own 1-4), but first we have to finish playing Yakuza 0. Would anyone have a problem if I dropped my thoughts in here as we went through them?

I'd be down for it, but the OP/mods should weigh in. I'm starting to think that we should create a separate thread for WTC as a whole.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

But as for this anime, I think while there are some things that stood out in ep 1 at the end of the day Onikakushi is kind of a weird arc compared to the rest and it's probably the one where *some* liberties can be taken here and there, so long as the whole thing is given the time to pace itself. Which is to say, more than the 4 episodes the original got.

I'd kill for a nice, slow build into AAAAA. Love me some escalating paranoia.

I heard that 2020 Higurashi is going to be one cour, is that true? And if so, are they planning to make a second cour that covers the rest of the Question arcs? I can understand if the studio won't commit to Kai just yet, but why bother if they aren't planning to finish WTC 1. I really liked Tatagoroshi-hen, too.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Geez, am I the only one getting hyped to see where this goes? I'm ticked that they hid that the show is a sequel and spoiled a big plot twist for new viewers, but I confess I'm interested to see what has pulled Rika back into the loops. I understand why people are worried that this will be yet another retread of the same loops, but I don't think that's the case. The show isn't trying to wrap up any remaining plot threads from Higurashi, because there are none. Instead, I think it's trying to build a new story...y'know, like a sequel. The mystery this time around is, "Why have we been pulled back into the hell loops?" not "Why do things keep going wrong in Hinamizawa?" And given that Keiichi is already starting to remember past loops, I think the whole gang is going to be aware of the mystery, rather than just Rika. And whoever the villain is, I doubt it's Takano Miyo.

I am admittedly disappointed to miss out on a Higurashi remake, and I'm thinking of rewatching the old show. Is it streaming anywhere? I looked on Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Netflix, but didn't find anything.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, I don't think going off on a long tangent about the witches is particularly a good direction for a "Higurashi" anime. That should really be a completely different When They Cry title, if it's done at all. Higurashi should be about Hinamizawa.

I feel like Bernkastel could make a pretty good Big Bad, but only if they focus on her being the accumulated dead Rikas. I could see an entity that contains all of the rage, hate, and ruined dreams of the past Rikas coming back to wreck everything, in an "If I can't be happy, YOU can't be happy!" sense. The writers could explore the idea that making all those discarded loops did have consequences that aren't so easily discarded. But bringing in anything else from Umineko, even the concept of witches, is a bad idea. And they should only reveal Bern towards the end of the series.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I'm interested although I really don't know where they're going with it. Otherwise ep2 was actually slower and truer to the VN (other than the parts that were Just Different) than ep1 was, I liked it.

One possibility is that (Umineko spoilers?) this could be an explicit origin story for Bernkastel? And we could see her actually meet LD? IIRC we have speculation about how exactly she came to be but not any direct confirmation.

I'm not sure if Takano's status can change? She has the Power of Absolute Certainty so her plan should be set in motion in every timeline. But maybe this is different since it's "after" her defeat.

I'm sure Takano is always going to try to execute her stupid plan, but I think the threat she poses will be relatively (emphasis on that relatively!) minor compared to whatever has pulled the gang back into the time loops. From a Watsonian perspective, Rika (and possibly the rest of the gang) already knows what the deal is with Takano and at least one way to stop her. Takano will always be an obstacle, but she's still a known quantity--Rika can plan for her. From a Doylian perspective, it's boring for Takano to remain the Big Bad, and it doesn't make much sense. As other people have already noted, the original Higurashi is a complete story without any major loose ends. There's nothing more to be gained from repeating the scenario unchanged.

Also, I thought Takano was just a game piece. I don't think she is Lambdadelta herself.

e. On a separate note, I'm thinking of rewatching 2006 Higurashi. Would anyone be interested in a Let's Watch thread? If so, I'll make one in the next few days.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Mindblast posted:

As someone who hasn't read Higurashi I don't know how to read the op's "proceed with caution":tinfoil:. Is this adaptation aimed at people coming back to Higurashi, or does it expect to be watched by newcomers?

It's for people coming back. Go read/watch the VN/old anime if you want the old story (and you should, Higurashi is great).