Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I’m now two weeks booze free (and cigarettes, which are a side effect of the booze). At 36, this is the first time in my adult life I’ve genuinely wanted to go alcohol free.

It’s been painless so far, I’m sure that won’t always be the case. I don’t know how long I’ll keep going but I’d like to get to a point where I’m feeling happy and safe to have one or two drinks and leave it at that.

Today I did a 26km walk, I’ve been jogging every other day and my mental health is streets ahead of where it has been in years.

2020 is a poo poo year but I feel like I am dragging myself forward slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

Good job on the other stuff too, but a higher hi-5 for that one. I think a lot of people haven't ever done that in their lives.

Thanks, I think it's longer than anything I've done with the possible exception of part of the Abel Tasman Track when I was 19 and much fitter. If anyone ever travels to New Zealand, go visit Abel Tasman National Park.

Feeling a bit sore and I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow but after months of lockdown it feels great.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Shouts to our national parks. Funny you mention them, I just read this tweet. 3 hours from the carpark on an 8 hour walk in the Coromandel - anti COVID measures installed. Top work, DoC.

https://twitter.com/lukechristensen/status/1312647426675666944

That’s fantastic. I did the Pinnacles in February and it has amazing facilities. The toilets at the hut are great. It’s a hell of a lot of stairs and ladders but well worth it.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I finally managed to get a haircut, 6 months after I really needed one.

Got chatting to the stylist about cars somehow and he showed me a picture of his garage.

His & His matching pop-up headlight NSX's. He was saying one is tuned to ~450hp the other is 650hp. :kimchi:

If thats not AI I don't know what is.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

First night back after 9 days off and I was unsuccessful in rebooting my sleep schedule back to 3rd shift. So here we go, 8 hour shift on 90 minutes of sleep!

I did 4 on/4 off for a while and the sleep transitions killed me. Two 4am-4pm shifts followed by two 4pm-4am shifts then 4 days off.

StormDrain posted:

Two things, you look great. Second, where can I get one of these NSXs?

The land Down Under! I will definitely be getting my hair cut there more regularly in the hopes of getting a ride :v:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to get a jump start on AI:Secret Santa 2020. This year has been tough for everyone and I'd like to help try make it a little more joyful.

I have just posted (and had my dumb rear end banned for using the wrong tag) a thread where I'm looking for feedback on how to improve the way AI:SS runs.

Please jump over and let me know what you think. Are you a lapsed participant? How can I encourage you to participate again?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942903

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I burg'd. It was good.
And goddamn I want that coin for when the almighty cheeto finally succumbs.

https://i.imgur.com/zNXmP0u.gifv

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kill and eat the bat to gain its power. Or start COVID-20.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Krakkles posted:

That word is an offensive term for women, the mod tried to ban it, a bunch of people pitched a fit and made circular non-sensical arguments about how “actually that’s not how we mean it but yes it is what the word means but not what we meant”.

Which lead to Tomarse’s “haha you guys are c***s but I’m not going to say it but I’m gonna make you think it lol” super funny gotcha

I understand that the c-bomb is considered the most offensive word in American English but you must try to understand that different cultures view it differently.

Other anglophone countries may not have the same emotional response attached to the word. I’m not trying to advocate for it’s use here, personally I try to limit its use it my everyday language despite living in a country and working in an industry where it is seen as punctuation rather than a slur.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have a discussion about it, but bear in mind that part of what makes AI so great is the diversity of its membership. Simply trying to ban something because you find it offensive is not a great way to engage with people and find a solution that’s acceptable to all parties.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Krakkles posted:

A lot of cultures have come around to the fact that referring to something in a negative way using a word associated with something else is offensive whether or not the (typically quite privileged) person doing so thinks so or “means it that way” or not.

I appreciate the reasonable nature of your approach and I absolutely understand that a fair number of people just don’t understand the implications of such language, but the fact that “it’s still normal here” doesn’t mean it’s not harmful, and it certainly doesn’t add anything to the culture of this forum.

No one tried to ban Australians or Brits in general, and I certainly don’t want Tomarse or anyone else to stop posting, but asking people not to use a word that they agree on the definition of but argue the severity of is not particularly unreasonable.

There’s this weird stigma around “woke culture” being a negative thing, but I think being inclusive is valuable, and having that word littered about here isn’t going to help women (or people who value inclusivity toward women) want to belong here.

Thanks for the reasoned response. You raise some really good points that I hadn't considered and I will absolutely take them on board.

I suspect there is probably a little bit of a subconcious "chip-on-the-shoulder" about deferring to a USA centric point of view amongst other anglophone/5eyes nations. I'm not saying it's right or reasoned, but I think we look at what we percieve as a very broken political/social system in the US and wonder "who are you to be handing out the moral imperative?"

Please note I'm not trying to argue against you here, I do appreciate what you have to say.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wrar posted:

My kid has been waking up between 4 and 6:30 for the last I dunno 5 days. :shepicide: :negative:

It's me. I'm your kid. Hi dad

I just want to be able to sleep like I could when I was a teenager.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

BigPaddy posted:

My wife has a lot of back and joint issues that caused her to have issues sleeping. We bought one of those nectar mattresses and it has helped her a lot. Any of the memory foam ones should do and they are not too bad price wise.

I got an Ecosa recently and its pretty good, despite coming from a much firmer innersprung mattress. What I don't like is that the mattress seems to have been measured by the apprentice. It's a super king and supposed to be 205x205cm but it's definitely out of square. None of the super king sheet sets I have actually fit on it correctly and that bugs my mild OCD.

I've been trying to do some fun things with my work to break the monotony of Melbourne's never ending lockdown. I organised a Whisky Tasting/Trivia night via Zoom and held it last night. I decided to really lean into the 70's quiz host look.

I think I'll keep the slug for a while yet.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
fuuuucckkk me.

From an Aussie: Trump is great because he's always surrounded by beautiful women and he's got a fews kids you know strong family values. Not like that facist war criminal Joe Biden.

:psyboom:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Hooray! I failed the rapid mental health assessment at my doctors, so I've got a follow up next week with a pile of self assessment forms to fill out so we can talk about my depression in more depth!

And theres so much poo poo going on thats feeding it at the moment. Things like my job where I didnt even get to park my car yesterday before my manager was getting stuck into me about poo poo that we did for a very legit reason (we have to chip the old koala gum twice a week- Monday and Friday, except we got a request for a full load of fresh chip for a bird aviary for tuesday this week, so we didnt chip friday to make sure we had enough and he got stuck into me for not doing my job...)

I dont have kids, but my missus is a teacher and shes brought home plague from school and given it to me, and now it feels like im eating glass, my voice is almost gone and my sinus' feel like ive inhaled a bag of flour.

And my mates daughter who im supporting through her recovery from Domestic Violence is going off the rails. She looks like shes given up on trying to make things better and just sits at home and smokes weed and plays games or watches youtube all day. She doesnt support her dad at all who works a 9am-6pm shift for 9 days straight, and all hes asking is basic stuff like "Clean the cat litter" and "Do the dishes" and she wont do that, and gets really angry and aggressive when he asks her about doing it. He unloaded on me about it last night because we're mates and we actually talk about our emotions and told me a whole pile of things she had been doing that were very different to what she told me she was doing.

Im willing to help anyone, but I really struggle to find the motivation to help someone if they're not honest with me. I raised it all with her and she flipped her lid, got angry with me and then went off to hide at her lunatic mothers place (shes a solid chunk of the reason why the daughter has the anxiety and depression in the first place) and now is saying that shes lost all faith in me and feels like we're all ganging up on her. I originally told her i was there to hold her hand through the whole process of her recovery, but i wasnt going to carry her through it.

Dad thinks she starting to fall into a rebound relationship with an ex of hers that recently broke up with his long term partner, and they originally broke up because he was more interested in getting drunk and playing games than actually being with her, so if that happens its going to go about as well as an early 80's Russian nuclear power plant test.

I just feel like I've been used right now. its like I wasnt willing to bend over backwards and make her do nothing and magically get better so shes just ditched me and moved onto the next sucker. I dunno what to do.

That's a whole load of suck. I hope the Doc gives you some time away from work. Don't be afraid to take some anti-depressants if the doc thinks that what it best. If your GP is dragging their feet or doesn't seem sympathetic to you, absolutely go to a different GP. I had an awful experience the first time I sought help.

Please get a mental health plan from the GP so you can get some subsidised time with a psychologist. I believe it's been extended to 20 sessions due to COVID. I'm up to my tenth and I'm very glad for the extra ten they have added this year.

Between the meds, the psychologist, giving up drinking and a few other lifestyle changes, I am so far ahead of where I was a few months ago.

It will take time, it will be hard but ultimately it's worth it in the long run. Mental illness is no joke, but it's like any other kind of sickness. You'll most likely get better if you treat it correctly.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Fortunately my doc is absolutely poo poo hot on mental health. I went to her complaining about struggling to get to sleep and she was digging for the root cause pretty much immediately.

The last bit is true and I'm keen to get this poo poo back under control. Pity I dont seem to be able to get my friends daughter to feel the same way at this point.

Having a good GP is just such a difference.

I can imagine it must be hard and frustrating to see her act in that way. It sounds like she's been through some pretty serious trauma and she may just be handling it the best way she knows how. I'm not saying that's good or healthy, it may just be the only tool she has. I hope she's getting some mental health support from professionals too, not to say you haven't been doing a great job.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Safety Dance posted:

TEMs are only free because they're gigantic and a pain in the rear end to set up and use (I should know. I once got a free TEM). People who would buy used electron microscopes actually want SEMs. Those are the ones that, like, let you look at a fruitfly's armpits.

I’ll finally be able to take that dick pic that everynoone has been asking for! :v:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Humphreys posted:

Here we go! After!

Noice!

There is nothing like hanging out with a kid to improve your mood. I was feeling really lovely this afternoon but then my 3 year old nephew told me he liked my moustache and that I'm the cutest person he knows. :kimchi:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
A hearty gently caress you to today, this week, this month and the whole of 2020 while I’m at it. Eat Satan’s diseased rear end in a top hat you goddamn annus horibilus.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Yeah, I'll be okay, thanks for checking in.

end-of-relationship stuff hit me like a ton of bricks today. It's amazing how two people who love each other so much can hurt each other so much.

Usually I'd drown my sorrows to bring my mood up but I'm sober now. I know now that the drinking is such a band-aid fix that is more harmful in the long term.

I'm going to stay sober for a while.

There's a slim chance we may rescue the relationship, but to be honest I'm not sure if that's what I want.

Sorry for the vent! Have some music as penance.

Possibly the greatest Nirvana cover of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooWBus7Igc

slothrop fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 22, 2020

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

wallaka posted:

Good news everybody! The clinic had a mix-up, so I’m in the hospital. Just got pushed some Ativan so I’m sure to have some fun. Going to sleep.

Good luck man. It's hard and I wish you the best.

watch out below for some E/N bullshit.

The past week has been a merry hell for me. I discovered that my girlfriend had discarded me like a used tissue, purchased a house 1.5 hours away and only then actually broken up with me. I still have not seen her in person for 6 weeks since this drama began.

I bottled up my feelings or had them dismissed by her for three years. I put it all aside because "we are working towards a future together". I gave her everything I had to give in terms of emotional and mental support. It was never enough. This lead to me having a breakdown earlier this year. As I struggled to deal, to quit binge drinking, to heal from a lifetime of anxiety and depression, she sabotaged me by forbidding me from discussing my feelings until after her next exam, which was at least 6 weeks away.

Unable to express my emotions, I continued to drink. This was too much for her, she told me we needed a break. I tried to talk to her about my feelings. I poured my pain out into a letter. She ghosted me for 10 days and when she came back she ignored everything I had to say and told me I should be grateful for the financial assistance she had provided, and the opportunities I got moving to a new city (for her). She went and bought a house, in a town so far away and so small I wouldn't be able to live or work there. Then, she clarified that she was breaking up with me, not merely taking a break for a few weeks. She took everything I had had worked for, for us, for herself. I am a ball of impotent rage, anger, pain, grief and betrayal.

I haven't had a drink since September 18, before I found out about any of this. Somehow I'll come out of this stronger and more functional. In the meantime. gently caress. 2020.

rant over.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 28, 2020

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Yeah, This is definitely something the missus and I are working on atm. The new antidepressants are brilliant, they've helped me a heap, but im still in the "What side effect is it going to be today?" stage, which is still messing with my brain.

I'm really sorry you have to deal with this shitstain, it's unacceptable.

I'm glad the antidepressants are working for you, gently caress the side effects though, I know that feeling! My dick hasnt worked properly for months.

I just had a really good, cathartic session with my psychologist. It confirmed what I had suspected, that my ex was borderline abusive and displayed some pretty narcissistic tendencies. It makes me feel a little less crazy, a little less angry and I guess a small part of me pities her too. Not that much.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Its a loving cracker of a ride. I had hallucinations the first night I took them- It looked like I was in a swarm of fire flies with all the lights dancing in my vision, I've had the random dick breakage, The foggy brain, The woolly brain, the confused brain, I've got a brand new tremor in my left hand that kinda freaks people out if I dont explain what it is and I have a huge amount of problems controlling my body temp- Even the slightest exertion will make me sweat like a pig. I made the bed the other day and literally had sweat dripping off me from it. In a 16 degree room!

Its been totally worth it though. I'm more pleasant to be around, I have motivation to actually do things again, work on my own projects and I'm no longer feeling like Im just putting one foot in front of the other to exist.

I absolutely think the anti-anixety meds I'm taking contributed to the dumb "I forgot how to drive a manual car" prang I had a couple of months ago. But you are so right, the side effects are worth it. It's taken me months, 10 psych sessions, the implosion of a relationship, quitting drinking and a whole host of painful self reflection but I really feel like I'm on the path to recovery and a chance at hapiness I don't think I've ever had before.

For anyone struggling, please consider therapy. I'll so agree with the "fit you own oxygen mask before helping others" metaphor. Something to keep in mind is your own "capacity" - mental and emotional. I think one of the reasons I was so resistant to seeking help, and found it so hard to make meaningful progress is that I was constantly at or beyond my capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

:regd20: AI:Secret Santa Registration Thread is UP

:goon: over to it and sign the gently caress up asap.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

Can someone alert our two wheeled bretheren in Cycle Asylum please?

slothrop fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 1, 2020