Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
From the last thread..

Humphreys posted:

If you need any service manuals/software/stuffs only accessible to service agents, let me know. I've still got a login for GSFS+.

I may take you up on that, I typically calibrate TVs once I'm happy with the overall setup, but this looks very great straight out of the box, so once I get a little more comfortable with what I want to change, I'll probably circle back. Thanks for the offer!

slidebite posted:

Sweet! I heard that new high-refresh TVs basically are making dedicated "monitors" obsolete. C/D? I'm curious as to how this goes.. 65" would be a bit big for me but 43" or so could be do-able.

I'm not actually using this as a monitor, but did pick the LG over the Sony A8H for the G-Sync, just in case I ever feel like hooking it up to see how it games. A friend has the same TV and has played games (other than FPS's) on it, and says the reaction time is negligible compared to say an Acer Predator, but it also only can do 120hz whereas dedicated gaming monitors can hit 144hz and 165hz if your video card can handle those frames.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nice, we just got the Sony OLED and it looks amazing. Spending almost 3 grand on it after taxes was a bit cringy for me, but since OLED are supposed to be way more reliable than LED, if it lasts a long time without any problems it's worth it. My last TV (Visio LED) lasted only a few years before it started having issues.

I walked back and forth between the LG CX and the Sony A8H for about 20 minutes in the best buy, they're so close (I believe it's the same panel) it was extremely hard to pick. Sony has BY FAR the better 'in store demo' mode since they have Gran Turismo and other sony properties to show off, whereas LG had Project Cars and some no-name movie clips. I've also owned Sony TVs for the last 20 years. At the end of the comparison I decided i liked the look of the stand on the LG a little better, and the fact it has G-Sync (and probably Freesync soon through updates) coupled with the free set of LG bluetooth earbuds this came included with (along with my buddy owning two of these) was what swayed me.

To speak to the comments about prices vs cheaper stuff in the same size: I can't imagine going back to a standard LCD TV now that I've had this since last Saturday, I finished setup & got all my cabling squared away just in time to christen it with, in this order:

Lakers beating the Nuggets to move to the NBA Finals
A pretty drat good UFC card (UFC 253)
Empire Strikes Back in Dolby Atmos & Dolby Vision on Disney+
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in 4k HDR from Amazon (holy poo poo the blacks on this set are truly unbelievable)

The native apps are fantastic, I had last purchased a new 1080p TV in 2013 and that's what this replaced, so being used to having to use Xbox/PS/HTPC/whatever to view stuff has changed to being able to swap between Amazon & Netflix & DirectTV with just a single discrete button on the remote is pretty great. I'm still figuring out the LG menu hierarchy, that's one thing that the Sony would likely have been more intuitive to me after so many years of owning their TVs.

The monitor almost perfectly blocking out one of the 4-screens on Redzone here is a Dell 27" 4k Ultrasharp (so not exactly a small computer monitor)

In Space, no one can hear you go 'Ahhhhhh no crushed blacks'

Plan on needing at least 1 other person to help move this thing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

64bit_Dophins posted:

When I first got sober I deleted my Facebook because the political posts kept stressing me out and making me want to relapse. I kept blocking people but political stuff kept making its way into my feed no matter what. Honestly I think it was one of my better decisions and I haven't looked back or missed it once since I deleted it several years ago now.

Abortion is never going away. It's too useful of a tool. Those laws in GA in AL were pretty much the last stand of the anti-abortion boomers. I know there are a lot of single issues voters on the right who cast their ballot to end "baby murders" or whatever but at this point they should really just cut the cope and accept that it is here to stay.

If you don't pretend you're going to take away abortion the first chance you get!!! (for 40 years) while never doing anything about it in actuality when you own all 3 branches of the government (which they've had twice now), how are you going to get all the single-issue votards to rally behind your poo poo-rear end political philosophy that is otherwise abhorrent to most rational people?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've been Hard Trolling all forms of social media since the debate debacle on Tuesday and no chuds are biting. Make of this what you will

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Luckily in all 50 states you only need 300/20 vision and to correctly answer 55% of the questions correct to get a license and the other 39 questions on the test are ridiculously obvious poo poo.

"You're driving down the road when your hood flies up and obstructs your vision, do you:"
1) Slow down and pull over to the side of the road
2) Speed up and swerve while honking to get other drivers attention
3) Bail out of the car

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
This is the best.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I was talking to one of my friends on the phone last night and he told me that he thinks Trump has a body double and that he's actually really sick and dying.

The first part is wrong, no living person could possibly resemble the blobbish monstrosity trump - just practicing how to stand that loving stupid would take an actor a lifetime to learn.
The second part is almost certainly true. 74 year old idiotfucker with no physical fitness in his history who eats nothing but Filet-o-Fish, there is literally no way he doesn't have high blood pressure, diabetes, and all the possible co-morbidities available.

The fat loving clown has infected half the pentagon now, and the markets just ate poo poo (before a last second minor rebound) because he has instructed his toadies in the Senate to stop work on a stimulus package because he's holding it ransom for his own re-election.

If I'm China, Russia, Iran, or any of our many many many enemies we've made over the last 20 years of unsolicited war in the middle east, now is the time to wreak the havoc you've been waiting for. Everyone hold onto their asses please.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My internet has been lovely all night, I guess everyone is uploading their own Fly Meme or something. I have normal ping (10-12 ms) and normal download (~700mb/s) but 0 upload

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm glad that in the 45 years I've been on the planet I've experienced 1/90th the amount of silly poo poo you get per week in Dramadiana

No wonder your gov fucks horses and calls his wife "mother"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

I believe I’m supposed to laugh at the idea of needing a license

... but that actually makes a ton of sense, my state already does it, and I would vote for it federally

Most states: Can't go fishing without a license! But go ahead and have a gun, see ya later!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Having been married to an english gal for the last 20 years I get that the word is more commonly used in the UK and Australian vernacular, I'm not super offended by the word I just think it sounds absolutely ludicrous when americans use it

I also find extremely repulsive when americans say "Spot on"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

STR posted:

no roaches so far, vs ~10-20 a day over the old place

:stonklol:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Not sure if this is from a current conflict but :popeye: (Sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/pVVRzmX.mp4

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

That's a video game but the IRL version is pretty nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biyUjm4KZio

at least $1 trillion a year is only being 90% wasted I guess. When the local soldiers are like "holy poo poo" at how OP that is, that's pretty neat

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
brb forming a well-regulated militia to take these dudes out

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good to see Rudy still has all the intelligent decisionmaking and judgement skills we rely upon as a chief advisor to the president. Just the best people, all the way down, and such strong moral backbones too, I'm very glad they're here to tell the rest of us how to live a christian life.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
At least you got a haircut.

Good luck man, that's overall a tricky situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My rule is 'whoever doesn't talk about anime is the non-rear end in a top hat' and I'm 266-0 at this point.