Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've got some good pet pics this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I don’t think even with the level of 3D chess Republicans think they’re masters of that a hoax makes sense. His whole brand is authoritarian hard man, strong and healthy as an ox, healthiest president ever, he can’t then turn around a catch a Democrat hoax mild flu.

Would pay money to see the press ask about his comorbidities, and ask “are the presidents doctors concerned that his history of bone spurs will affect his treatment?”

Remember when he was being impeached, and he was rushed to Walter Reed in middle of the night, for a totally normal, middle of the night physical that anyone might haul rear end through DC for? That definitely want chest pains, then he got his totally normal, excellent even physical results?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I mean it's not a good car, but you can probably sell Brokeback for more than five-hundo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Modus Man posted:

You sonovabitch! Rural internet haver here. At least I finally got line of site to a tower for fixed wireless last year. I used to have 5mb speed, 25gb/month for $60. Now I have a cap of 250gb for the same price and 6x the speed.

Blurgh.

Exactly 1 ISP option.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

bolind posted:

Guys, I need some advice.

Last Christmas, my loving but not always terribly strategic wife got us both a DNA test. I believe it's with myheritagedna but I'll have to check. She just got the boxes, we haven't actually provided any samples yet.

It's becoming a little bit of a political hot potato. I don't mind spitting in a jar and learning that, yes, I am in fact very, very Scandinavian, but I would mind if my DNA ended up in some foreign database somewhere, and I'm not terribly interested in facebook messages from long lost illegitimate cousins-thrice-removed. What's the consensus on this?

The US DoD has recommended servicemembers don't do it for all the reasons listed on this page.

If you're a serial killer who hasn't been caught definitely don't do it, that's how they got Golden State.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Having been married to an english gal for the last 20 years I get that the word is more commonly used in the UK and Australian vernacular, I'm not super offended by the word I just think it sounds absolutely ludicrous when americans use it

I also find extremely repulsive when americans say "Spot on"

That's part of the reason for not using it on the forum too, if you hear it spoken aloud in media, and it's some bloke with a posh accent, you don't think twice, but accent dinnae come through the medium of text very well, leading to hurt feelings an long explanations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

I agree that a lot of the gun issues in the US stem from fetishization of guns and the military through culture and media and advertising.

Compare to a lot of countries where service is compulsory, where most people have either been a conscript or know at least one person who is one or an actual soldier. So they've had the gun presented to them as a tool instead of a toy, as well as gone through all the maintenance and cleaning drills. That also means you see people in uniform on public transit regularly and nobody takes any note of it, they're just going to or from wherever they've been stationed.

Of course there's been a lot of cultural osmosis through entertainment and media, so we do see a lot more "american-style" gun enthusiasts now than say 20 years ago.

Most of the really bad tacticool/militia dudes have never been in the military, and have this weird borderline fetishization of it, and will tell you how they would've gone out to be a Delta Force Green Beret Seal Sniper, but their bone spurs or whatever kept them from enlisting.

It is not healthy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BuckyDoneGun posted:

People get down on the church for the same basic reason as people who hate on Muslims - because a few bad eggs make all the noise. I got no problems with any religion except where certain groups twist the various scriptures to suit their agenda. For example, religion has no place dictating what goes on between a woman and her reproductive doctor. If you don’t want an abortion, that’s fine, but don’t you dare get in the way of non-believers seeking medical treatment.

There’s other problems of course like they way money grubbing mega churches prey on their members, with families in poverty subsidising new luxury cars and jewellery for the minister and his wife. Churches should clean up their own house before preaching morals to the rest of us.

If you have faith, that’s fine, good for you and I hope it helps, just remember faith doesn’t trump fact.

America has a big problem with faith.

I spent years in high school working with a Catholic charity for my Senior Project (required to do x amount of charity work+a report on it for graduation) and that charity helped thousands of homeless people in that time.

That being said, that charity shouldn't have to exist, basic needs should be covered by taxes and the government.

And "prosperity gospel" churches that are preaching literal heresy to Jesus's word? The man who said "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God". gently caress them, gently caress their campaign to spite Jesus's word by electing shitheads who pass laws that hurt the poor. If there's a heaven, they sure as poo poo ain't ending up in it.

That being said, lots of awesome Christians in this country helping people and being inclusive, they often don't get enough credit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'd imagine if you plumbed it into the hot line you'd still get blasted with cold water for most of it, since it takes awhile to heat up.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

We've tried everything. We've tried every type of dry and wet food we can source. The vet thinks it's just behavior issues stemming from his kitten days. He's been medicated several times and nothing has changed. A few years ago he sprayed into our entertainment center while we were out of town (my sister came and fed them) we discovered he'd totally saturated an Xbox and all the games next to it. Like, SOAKED. And I still forgave him.

I wasn't really clear how bad he was when we got him, he was pretty much feral. We'd actually gotten him back in the carrier after he'd slashed my arm open. But then he cried so pathetically so I let him out and like an hour later he came up to me and put his paw on my leg and I was done for.

Rosie does this too, the frequency seems to be tied to her emotional state. Fortunately I don't care about the flooring upstairs, and the flooring downstairs is going to be Lifeproof vinyl when I redo it and she moves down there.

It's a pain in the loving rear end though, if I discard a piece of clothing or something on the floor it'll be soaked in piss the next morning, I had to go to work one day reeking of cat piss because she pissed on my uniform, and my backup had just gotten ripped badly the day before.

At least I got her to stop pissing the drat bed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

StormDrain posted:

I started gathering supplies to strip some paint off of some trim down in the basement, took a little look at the back of the can, "use in well ventilated area, preferably outdoors and never in a basement". Welp. Looks like I freed up my night.

Yeah, well you're gonna have to free up your night, 'cause you're not doing anything productive once you inhale all those fumes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Glad your friend lived Rhyno, that's a borderline miracle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Somebody donated over $7500 to my dude's GFM and we're shell shocked. Touched base with his estranged wife, he is in good spirits but so much pain. They're trying to save his eye today.

Did you link his GFM? If not, you should do so.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

God damnit, I literally cannot stand not feeding strays that come around my house, and there's literally an infinite supply of them, so every time I get one socialized and adopted a new one shows up.

The local rescue agencies are DICKS about taking strays (I understand why), and if you've ever fed one they consider it to be your pet, and make you sign forms "surrendering" the animal.

I've got the room and time to get this guy socialized and fed now though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A lot of places have switched to fast tests from PCR, and there's a ridiculous chance, like 40% of returning a false negative, my buddy who exposed me was in contact with a + person, his girlfriend is +, their other friend they were hanging out with is +, they all have the classic symptoms, but my buddy's had 2 negative tests.

I can't even get a test after being exposed without any symptoms.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

slothrop posted:

Somehow I'll come out of this stronger and more functional. In the meantime. gently caress. 2020.

rant over.

I've uprooted my life for someone who was just stringing me along. It's a lovely, deeply hurtful thing.

But there's nothing to be done about it, and you'll realize that your life never could have turned out any different, and you'll be happier for it.

Keep strong, try to keep off the sauce, and keep chugging forward my man.

If you feel like venting PM me.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Gah, what a miserable prick, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We got a lot of rain so we went camping in the basement.

That's so sweet, I love it.