Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I didn't make any of the Honeycomb Throttle Quadrant pre-order windows. Looks like the 1st batch will be getting shipped end of this month and the 6th batch will be in week 49 of the year. drat...the more i play the more I wish i had a physical trim wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
My windows 10 install got corrupted somehow so I need to do a fresh install. Can't wait to reinstall this drat game!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hard to imagine anyone's buying a stick just for Squadrons. The MSFS-induced hardware shortage still hasn't ended.

I think it’s more just overlapping. Like “I’ll buy a stick for flight sim and Star Wars”

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
By the time I can actually get the throttle quadrant from Honeycomb maybe things will be better!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The throttle quadrant got pre-orders available just a few weeks ago and according to their site they sold out their throttles through basically the end of the year basically. Or like, end of November. I wouldn't bank on getting that honeycomb throttle til at least the new year.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I've never seen a formal announcement from them but this tweet which was posted a couple weeks ago showed flight pedals from Honeycomb. I continue to be impressed with their yoke and if they can come into the market with pedals that slot between the low end and the high end like their other products I think that would be awesome.

https://twitter.com/flyhoneycomb/status/1312199488497352704?s=20

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
This is some good flying.

https://twitter.com/bradriter/status/1319677617096822784?s=21

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
My big hope of getting a 3070 this morning was dashed. So we’ll still can’t play the game with decent frame rate.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Sagebrush posted:

It's baffling that they have the actual name of every airport in the game but the TTS still says KILO HOTEL ALPHA FOXTROT TRAFFIC without fail. Nobody says that in real life! Ugh!

Lots of little things about this game are baffling (welcome to flight sims, all you newbies) and I can't wait for the modding community to really pick up because most of them seem trivial to fix. It's not like I'm one of the Il-2 spergs demanding accurate herding behavior when you fly low over cows and scare them away. Just listen to some fuckin untowered operations on youtube for a while and edit the radio call strings to match

This is still the funniest thing to me. Some weirdos wanted accurate herding behavior of cows.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I think its a pretty simple request that Flight Sim 2020 just simulate every single thing happening on earth with every single citizen of earth and every building be perfectly rendered.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Some exciting new product announcements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTnjtS8hHFU

They say the new rudder pedals are coming mid 2021 and they're developing a flight stick and throttle module that will be compatible with the new Xbox and that they if I understood it correctly all current flight stuff should be Xbox compatible as well.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Without a doubt the crappiest part about my entire Flight Sim Journey so far this year is buying a yoke, building a pc, then being unable to find a 3070 or 3080 card in stock anywhere on earth.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I honestly haven't even played in a couple months because I was hovering in the 15-25 fps because the card I have as a placeholder is like 6 years old. I was really hoping we'd see a restock of cards around now but it seems like its just not going to happen til early next year.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

sigher posted:

The set-up is complete:

How’s that throttle feel?!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Pretty smooth landing: https://twitter.com/mplstvguy/status/1334525500174327811?s=20

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Just started watching some Honeycomb Bravo Throttle quadrant unboxings and that thing seems like it kicks rear end

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Taintrunner posted:

Loosely related to this thread, but you have to see it to believe it:

https://twitter.com/ChloeGMoretz/status/1336423277829361665?s=20

Reserving judgment til I see how the cattle scatter when planes fly overhead.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Getting increasingly depressed that it seems like I'll not be able to get a new video card for months. The goddamn 3080 came out in September and its still having supply issues...same with the 70 and 60.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

zedprime posted:

I did the stupidest thing I could have ever done last year and upgraded my CPU and motherboard to play Flight Sim when apparently I should have just waited to buy a 3070 premade system.

Same here....well the part where this summer I build a PC for the first time in 15 years assuming the supply chain would be okay to get a new video card by Christmas.

Just as a note if anyone is looking for a new videocard, Newegg on twitter yesterday teased some sort of new system which. most people have taken as they are going to create a basic queue system which is what every retailer should do anyways. But thats the assumption. So hopefully I'll be able to just hop in some sort of line. I have no problem waiting, but the current systems just mean any card gets sniped by a bot immediately.

Here's to getting a throttle quadrant and a new video card by August!

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 14, 2021

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

EVGA has this queue as well, but god knows if you join now it could be awhile. I have a friend who is signed up for their Step-Up program and did so about a week after the 3080 launch and hasn't stepped up. I joined the queue sometime mid-October and haven't heard anything either.

My jerk friend who had a box that was almost five years old otherwise decided to buy a new premade box and he's the first guy I know to get a 30xx. And he's out there using it for fun instead of serious simulation games.

I joined the EVGA Queue back in I think October as well and haven't heard anything.

I knew the video card would be hard to come by but I honestly and stupidly assumed we'd see more trickle into the marketplace by Christmas. I was wrong.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Knowing newegg they'll implement a queue system and then only let you queue up for combos where the card comes bundled with some RAM you don't need and a random hard drive.

Yeah it’s really lovely what they’re doing. I don’t need another goddamn power supply.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

2Jets posted:

They're out there, dont give up. I got a 3080 yesterday. I had the best luck using the newegg app. I saw 3 3090s and one other 3080 this week. I haven't seen a 3070 or 3060 available yet though.

Since the 3070 launched I've had that card multiple times in my checkout basket but everytime its errored out and then on the refresh they're sold out. I kind of gave up after a while and am just going to wait and if i'm online when a drop happens so be it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Zero One posted:

Looks like AOPA is using FS2020 to create their accident investigation videos now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rryvSQhK7k

These videos are so well done.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

MrYenko posted:

I’ve raged about this in the aviation thread previously, but I’ll rephrase briefly: If you’re ever in a real airplane, even as a passenger, and even THINK that you might be in any kind of trouble, declare an emergency. I have practically unlimited resources to help you, but they’re useless if you don’t tell me what’s going on.

Yeah and a common thread through a ton of the accident breakdowns is pride/being overwhelmed so they are slow or reluctant to declare an emergency and then a complete lack of instrument flying ability either due to lack of training or simply it having been so long since they're training.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It would seem that the honeycomb throttle quadrant may be taking new orders at the beginning of February. The site lists them as sold out but with a new notice saying all orders placed will ship by February 6th and I've noticed other re-sellers listing new orders being available in mid march...so here's hoping we get a shot at a preorder soon.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I just looked up my EVGA queue. You can get in a queue for any EVGA video card and cross referenced it with some reddit google docs where you can kind of get a vague idea where you're at. I am in a Queue for a 3070 card and have been in it since October 29th. Still haven't heard back from EVGA but I'm certainly in the rough time frame where I could in theory hear from them that I can order a card now...which gives you an idea of how backlogged they are.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If anyone is on the video card hunt newegg has been doing the raffle thing the past couple days and they are decoupled from bundles now. So you have a shot at getting a 3070 or 3080. In fact a friend of mine just got one yesterday in the raffle so it can actually work!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Its a dark cruel world where I'm entering a raffle so I can be price gouged.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I think I'm going to start playing Flight Sim again and just have to fly with low settings on. I was hoping I'd get a video card but it just looks like its not going to happen anytime soon. I am looking forward to crashing my Cessna repeatedly in dangerous weather.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Allegedly the throttle quadrants will start being available (i'm sure on a huge back order again) come April.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I got a line on a new video card! Next step...getting a throttle quadrant.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I got that email too and its disappointing but not at all surprising. There was a bloomberg article recently about how covid really hosed up supply chains, production, microchip shortages etc.

Basically everything its being effected by the hard shutdown that many countries had to go through including and specifically China. Things like video game console shortages are expected to exist through this coming holiday season. It really sucks. I've been basically unable to play Flight Sim since launch outside of at 15fps because I haven't been able to get even get a chance to buy a video card since September. Multiple times I've had them in my cart but then I timeout or they sellout. Hoping I get lucky with a throttle quadrant when they resupply.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

MrYenko posted:

The elephant farting quietly in the dark corner of the room is the fact that this thing is apparently still based on FSX code. Which of course is based on 2004.

Which is based on 2002.

Which is based on 2000.

loving thing must be an absolute spaghetti nightmare.

Wow is this true? Or is this true in the sense that like every Call of Duty game has some traces of Quake 3 code in them somewhere.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I secured a 3060Ti this weekend. OH MY GOD THE GAME RUNS SO GOOD NOW. I built a pc back in August and haven’t been able to run this game at higher than 20fps. Oh my god I’m crying.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

I said come in! posted:

what sort of frame rates are you getting now and at what settings?

I need to experiment more but from my memory I had things set on mostly low settings and the default "normal" with the old video card and was getting on average 15fps or so.

Now I have most settings on high or ultra and I'm pretty much a rock solid 30 though on testing a few cities it will drop into around 25fps or so when you say make a bank turn and a large new skyline is there or something but then it kind of normalizes.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x and 32 gigs of ram. I just was stuck using a 970GTX as a placeholder card since September and haven't been able to acquire a new video card until now. I'm going to mess with settings and check out some more youtube videos this week on what I can do to mess with visual quality but it just looks and feels so good right now just to be at 30FPS

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

RedChesterfield posted:

Landing challenges are getting creative.

This is the hottest challenge on tiktok.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Any word from Microsoft and Asobo when they'll add vulgar 'own the libs' chatter?

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/pilot-hot-mic-bay-area-airport-16049942.php

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
In my little experience using live weather it frequently seems very buggy/finicky or whatever you want to call it. Very very hit or miss.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I wish you could dial in historic weather also, or spectacular storms

That would be cool.

You a Cessna pilot trying to land in the middle of Hurricane Andrew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Didn't they also kill updrafts or something? I remember reading that somewhere...was it in this thread?

I think the glaring issues becoming as glaring as they are with weather because it gets so much right but also looks really good.