Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Shine posted:

VKB North America has their stuff in stock, last I looked.

Keep in mind its $40 shipping and comes straight from Shenzen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I ordered MFGs on Sunday for the reasons of toe brakes and I need a pretty wide stance. I also got the WAP kit.

That poo poo get here Friday, from Croatia.

Now just waiting for the VKB TECS throttle to be released and my vomit inducing VR HOTAS setup will be complete.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Trillhouse posted:

Are there any modern flight sims where you fly a helicopter around and do (non-combat) missions? Like Sim Copter but with realistic helicopters, basically.

I've been playing DCS helicopters a lot lately and I love just flying around, but I also like objectives and stuff to complete. I've found a few dynamic missions for DCS Huey, one where you fly around Syria doing random medi-vacs and poo poo, and one where you haul lumber using the cargo winch. They're really fun, but I'm new to non-WWII flight sims so I don't know what's out there. Any recommendations?

Take On Helicopters. Watch some reviews first though, there's reasons it has mixed reviews.

Some of that is Arma people coming over expecting Arma flight physics while using a keyboard, and some of it is from actual pilots as the flight characteristics are lacking. I found it fun for a bit, but I have zero experience in a helicopter.

Edit: Oh man, this might not even count as modern anymore, came out in 2011.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just get a VKB. The Gladiator NXT is a very solid-feeling, well-built stick with good buttons at a reasonable midrange price, and you can still couple it with your x52 throttle if you want (which I find to be a largely acceptable single-engine throttle for the price).

I've been doing this for a few months now and its great. Main reason I'm replacing it with a Virpil throttle is I need more buttons for DCS.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Animal posted:

Has anyone used WinWing gear? Opinions?

One if my friends has the giant rear end throttle and loves it. Huge range and good build quality.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

MrYenko posted:

Realtalk: For maximum enjoyment, fake your own ATC in your head

The controller I got was VERY RUDE

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

skooma512 posted:

Lost my TrackIR tiara :rip:

Now I have to order it from NaturalPoint where shipping it costs more than hat clip itself lol. I was hoping people made alternatives to it by now, by oh well.

There's ton of alternatives if you are looking for point models. I made my own, but Delanclip rules and there's a few others too.

If you want purely reflective stuff or has to be a tiara, then yeah I think they are the only ones still using those.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Yooper posted:

How often does one actually move engine throttles individually in a modern jet? I've got an X56 and I'm not sure I've ever done anything but move the whole throttle.

For the F5 in DCS I have it setup so when I go over the first detent it puts the throttle into idle and I have to do it individually cause :spergin:

Edit: Not exactly modern though...

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 3, 2022

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Shipon posted:

Yeah I have tried using my G2 in VRChat and it is...lacking. But for cockpit displays it's gorgeous

*turns up graphics to max*

WOW! Its so clear, I can read every dial and the game is still running at a whole 5fps!

Seriously though the G2 is absolutely stunning coming from an Index & Quest 2.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

DrankSinatra posted:

I don't know, the idea of just minding my own business and coming across an airliner pulling off some sort of hosed up cobra sounds like a plus and not a minus.

747 cruises past pulling a 50* AOA, drops to level and guns it to Mach 2.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bedurndurn posted:

If you have a VR headset, VTOL VR is great.

I'm a DCS snob and I hate how good VTOL VR is.

It's approchable enough that most of my friends can get into it, and advanced enough that it keeps my interest.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

JayKay posted:

Has X-Plane always had this or is this a new thing?

Edit: the AI

They should have replaced the "off" flag model with it

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

skooma512 posted:

There's not a G3 coming soon or anything like that right?

I stayed out of VR because of the hardware requirements and the fact it was in early adopter phase and likely to make gear obsolete in a couple years.

Index 2 is coming sometime in the next year to decade.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yeah I have not touched my x52 stick since I got the VKB gladiator.

My X52 is old enough that I had to remove all the soft rubber with alcohol since it got sticky as hell.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So if you wanted to know about flight stick longevity, both the Extreme 3D Pro and the X52 show up in The Expanse.

200 years and still in production.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I remember when that throttle was coming out next year...5 years ago.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Enigma89 posted:

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

OK

But you should be protecting gay/trans/etc. You should not be tolerating a known Nazi.

This is not a BOTH SIDES thing, this is a dinner party with a Nazi thing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

ethanol posted:

you don't buy dcs, you start buying dcs

First hit is free. That's how they get ya

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sagebrush posted:

The downloader is super slow because it downloads every single one of the 10,000 files in the update separately, halting the transfer and unzipping after each one, rather than doing it as one big blob that can reach maximum transfer speed and then decompressing and installing afterwards.

What the gently caress.

Programs where I manually had to download the zip and throw the contents over the live folder hitting "replace all" is better than that. It's at least 1 continuous download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Vando posted:

Outside of the training issues (extremely large caveat I know) stuff like generated ATC is 100% the correct use case for something like this, where the sheer volume of calls required is never going to be achievable by a human actor. It would be cool if we could trust that AI solutions were being used to extend what's possible instead of undercut workers at the first opportunity, but hey :capitalism:

This is also where I landed. AI used in a complex system that actually furthers said system's abilities? Fantastic.

AI used so they don't need to pay a voice actor? Get in the boo box.

Funny that it both sucks and sounds like it was more difficult than just hiring an actor.