Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just ordered a gladiator nxt but i didnt think to check this thread... any thoughts? Good call?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I just ordered one, too, so I'm glad to hear it. The axes are freaking out in my 1.16000 and I don't want to deal with it anymore.

I’m coming from a Logitech 3D pro I bought in like 2012. Dang thing is so wobbly I have to set like 25% deadzone

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got my gladiator nxt in the mail today. Was a surprise because tracking was showing in japan last night. Anyways, it's pretty great. The damping on the stick is awesome. Rotary encoder for my trim being awesome is a suprise highlight. I suppose one con is it's probably a little less ergonomic

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bgreman posted:

I pulled the trigger on one of these and TrackIR last night. How long did it take from when you placed your order to when it arrived?

Edit: Just got my shipping notification.

My order was in processing while they were closed for weekend and then a 4 day long (?) Chinese holiday. But once they shipped it took 4 business days

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i still get 35-45 fps on all max settings 1440p, object and terrain sliders at 200. 9900k/2080. flew from anchorage to denali and also flying right now over nyc at night in the a320.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

has anybody tried the pmdg dc-6? is it good

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2109/svg/00070IL15.svg

This is the ILS runway 15 approach plate for Burlington international, KBTV. I've been flying in and out of there in FBW A320 trying out ILS and RNAV approaches since I can run the airliner at a decent FPS now.

Now I know FS2020's nav computers are wonky as hell but I just want to know if there is a way to change arrival waypoints because when you punch in the ILS 15 arrival for this airport, the sim takes you to HERRO/FOVES first and then does this wonky 180 degree turn back to CFBPD where it does another 180 into the localizer. But I mean, airliners in real life just get directed straight in over FOVES (I've been watching and listening to the real ATC when they were using ILS 15 last night).

Unfortunately I cannot seem to edit the waypoints that get punched in when you select an arrival in the FMC MCDU, their buttons just don't react to anything, and when I try to direct to FOVES once I get there it tries to go back to HERRO and through those wonky turns. I don't really know how to read the plate correctly, I assume the opposite direction over HERRO is part of the holding pattern or easy way to find the localizer but not sure how to read it. But planes irl aren't doing that at all.

Now tell me there is no way and the game is just a bad airliner sim. It sucks so much they get this close and then little things like can't edit or delete arrival waypoints get in the way.

edit: to help you understand the game's spaghetti approach, I've expertly drawn it in red, compared to the irl ILS approach planes took last night, in green: https://i.imgur.com/7RBAbB8.png

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 5, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well that's good they're working on it at FBW. Hopefully somebody makes a X-FMC style addon or something that can drop into other planes, or maybe asobo will fix their poo poo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

get urself some snow tires

I can't wait to start real training out of kbtv, last four days i've flown there in the sim it's been some low vis rain and storms all day every day

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah I figured that was how you fly the plate, but it feels insane when you actually fly it just because it feels totally wrong to go the opposite direction above final when the altitude difference between entering the loop and being on final is only 1200'. Still though, want I want to do is mimic what the pilots are doing on live atc, but as others have said, the default flight computer doesn't let you do that (edit arrival waypoints)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

theres one of those water ledges (more of a water mountain) right in the middle of the seaplane lane on anchorage AK's lake hood

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

NAV works fine for me it's always VNAV that basically never works. Was pretty cool using VNAV in prepar3d PDMG though, I really hope their FS2020 737 comes out soon...

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 6, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

oh yes... ive had the vkb gladiator nxt for a while now and it's really great. price can't be beat. i may get a number of those addons. the throttle and autopilot boxes first i think

I bought the aerosoft crj and am having fun with it. took me a bit to realize the plane has the same indents as autothrottle but yeah, they're actually just suggestions, and the speed AP is just maintaining speed through variable pitch. can't really tell how well the autopilot nav works yet, I tried hitting the approach button but it left me way high, so I dunno yet if it was me or a bug

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 8, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

are the weather changes out yet? what exactly are the weather changes?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I read a early review that says weather transitions out of metars are jarring now. Like fog disappearing instantly. That sounds a whole like how xplane and activesky etc have done it for years now. Sure hope it’s not as bad as it is in xplane.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lol they made the afterburner so loooong

the effect from behind looks pretty good at night though

Also, afterburner was unbound in controls for me, had to assign it a button which unlocks the last 20% of the throttle range

my first reaction this plane is.. well this is kind of a joke in many ways after the DCS F-18.. but hey it's still kinda cool

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 19, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MrYenko posted:

It’s basically the worst thing you can imagine. In a real airplane, you control the rudder by pressure on the pedals far more than any sense of how far the pedals have travelled. I’ve not used any of the more expensive sim pedals, but the usual suspects generally have less resistance than real rudder pedals do when the airplane is parked.

I’ve frequently wondered whether a load-cell based rudder set might be an improvement over the present situation.

Could probably simulate it with force feedback ie belt driven racing wheels or maybe hydraulic like some of the professional grade brake pedals for racing sims. Do the best professional flight sim have force feedback / simulate aerodynamic pressure on controls? I’ve never thought about it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

The pricing is wack now. T16000s and 3D pros are near 100 bucks. Not really worth it when you could buy this:

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-nxt-space-combat-edition

Sometimes you can find T16000s on Ebay for 50 or so dollars, but it is dicey.

Get the vkb 100% worth it, there should be zero doubt, the vkb owns and is very similarly priced

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The dcs version is a lot more fun imo, realism wise it’s a different order of magnitude

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I love eagle dynamics as much as the next guy but didn’t one of their devs recently get deported and banned from usa for finding and using an actual f16 TM? Imagine Microsoft owning that lawsuit…

Dcs and its illegal planes must be made by Russians for the fidelity we demand

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

TM probably refers to technical manual. Depending on the industry, the level of detail can vary from, badly translated Chinese Amazon trinket pamphlet“ to “how to rebuild a supersonic fighter after battle damage”

I think it’s pretty clear what’s being referenced here

Yes, in this case I believe he had obtained an actual us military technical manual which are given out to units. Hence why the penalty wasn’t more drastic, they’re not super hard to obtain, but you’ll (probably) know it’s illegal when you get one and aren’t a crew chief or something

I say not super hard because that plane is very old and many countries have it now. If you’re getting manuals for the f35 well… nice to meet you mr. James Bond

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 17, 2022

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Half or mostly serious question, do you think we are OK with the F/A-18 manual posted or should I back that one out? It's not as old as the F-16.... :)

I don’t know where you got it, but when they specifically say crap about being United States govt distro only I would uh fly away from that.

My last education lesson is that unclassified and do not distribute are not the same thing to the United States government. You still can’t distribute most unclassified govt property

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 17, 2022

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Vor/Ndb only from east coast us to Europe….. in a steamgauge cessna. Enjoy the 6 hours of dead space between points in Canada on your way to Greenland. Only cheaters pull up the vfr map.

Tl;dr I ran out of fuel looking for a beacon I’m not convinced is in the game

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BMan posted:

it's 3 bits of tape on sticks, not the most difficult thing to make tbh

Just be sure to use the right tape, i had trouble with glossy 3m that was the wrong reflectivity or something.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Have any of you guys been watching this rebuild rescue guy on YouTube try to start a abandoned Cessna 408 (I think 408, it’s a twin engine turbo charged piston engine)?

Just wondering what you think of this joker, he has no pilots license but somehow access to a giant hanger where he gets to work on the thing… somebody tried to offer the real owner $20k after the saw the YouTube videos, apparently the YouTube dude talked the owner out of accepting…

Anyways it seems like a sim goons dream

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

I've been watching those, my biggest issue (which has been brought up a couple of times in the videos) is him repeatedly interacting with a literal shitload of bird poop with no mask/gloves/goggles. Finally like 4 videos in he started putting gloves on but jfc. Aside from that it's been neat watching him work on those engines even with all the usual YouTube clickbait content.

Oh definitely the bird poop is naaaasty. Especially the interior of that plane, just disgusting.

Also definitely not a 408.

Yeah I admit the clickbait is how I even found the channel

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

He said something about if he wants to fly it it will have to go through a real a&p

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pdmg 737-700 is out today….

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

well im trying to pay 70 bucks for the pretend air plane but pdmg's server is overloaded. I just want to know if it's playable or a mess, anybody tried it yet?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i have a 3080 ti as of last week. can i run dcs / ms flight sim vr yet?

how do you guys deal with the quest 2 link cable being totally unsupported by anything but the port and constantly being in the way?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

kemikalkadet posted:

I have a 3070ti and can play DCS fine. Bit of fiddling with VD and in-game settings and it runs decently.

I used a cable before I upgraded my router and went wireless, I ran the cable through a hole in the back of the elite strap clone I have so the strap was taking up the weight of the cable.
e: like this

is the wireless link actually good now? does it decrease resolution or anything?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

high res textures mean nothing to me these days if u want to impress me make your vid a 30 minute deep dive into the MCDU functionality

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lmao the spruce goose

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

3080 ti made absolutely no difference in the game for me. it's capped by a 100% single thread on the cpu as soon as you step in an airliner cockpit. been doing that since the day it came out. GA planes run fine by comparison. flight sim never changes

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dlss isn’t gonna solve this games cpu issues

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’ll believe it when I see it becuse the game isn’t cpu heavy it’s single thread heavy on one very bad ui design

And of course their example is a GA where none of the problems present

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

still sucks

I'm not going to say its certainly that but FPS dips in the airliners is still horrible on my 3080 ti and the one thread is maxed.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Update did nothing for airliner fps drops.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sedona is very dry and cool this time of year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

there are two MS2020 flight sims when it comes to benchmarking. The GA version which gets to take advantage of that 4090 GPU get 100 fps in 4k
and then there's the 20-30 fps in 720p airliner version which is limited by horrific code and has pretty much nothing to do with hardware at this point