Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

X55 definitely benefited from a powered hub. If the x56 has adjustable leds set it to the lowest brightness or off, I'm sure that sucked up most of the juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

A friend gave me their old ps2-compatible logitech steering wheel and pedals. I used those as a rudder for a bit but as you can imagine it didn't sell the concept and twist has been ok. Would love to see what decent ones are like.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gunship, spending more time marveling at the manual than flying, then Gunship 2000, sending my kiowas up ahead to die gloriously while I lumbered along in the blackhawk cos I never figured out how to issue pickup/drop-off commands to other pilots

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

skooma512 posted:

There is a really good mod for Enemy Engaged Comanche vs Hokum (I believe they're related to Gunship?)

http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Neat! Gonna check this out, having hit a wall on the Blackshark DCS (and will definitsly do the same on their Apache)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That sucks 🙁 facetracking continues to go leaps and bounds with aitrack, opentrack's new 'neuralnet' tracker, etc.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Tell me about this neuralnet tracker. I see in their github that they put out a new release last week with this, which seems to be an AI-based face tracker? How well does it work?

I don't have a webcam attached to my PC so I'd have to buy a new one for this (assuming it doesn't work with the PS3 eye that's being used for IR tracking currently, I don't know how to turn that back into a normal camera). I'd like it if this could avoid all the hassle that comes with IR tracking.

I've tried the most recent version and messed around with setting it up a little. It seems to work fairly smoothly - the dev explains it here and argues that aitrack and other options may be better, but they require their own program linked to opentrack. I went and bought a kinect for its facetracking just as these newfangled face ones started to emerge, they all seem pretty good.

You might try your ps3eye assuming its not physically broken from removing the ir filter or whatever - its neat that they've developed their own drivers so you don't need to buy/pirate the CCL ones, or one of the phone camera apps that links through cable/wifi.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Rebuilt my pc recently after constant crashes with a 3080/750w - the gpu had been connected with a splitter from both its plugs to one psu hole. Changed it to separate cables/holes and that seemed to fix it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Quick facetracking review... Been playing FS again and realised at some point last yeah I installed Every App after packing away the kinect and using the phone as a webcam: Out of opentrack's NN tracker, aitrack, artrack, and smoothtrack, smootrack worked the fastest and smoothest, without having to use droidcam, and the least amount of adjusting curves and filters. Definitely worth the :10bux:.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Playing with Helios right now in lieu of actually learning to fly better. Have used spacedesk to plug in every single old phone and tablet in the house, with Capt Zeen on the second monitor and all the buttons and lights and switches I really want to see spread over the others. Its neat.

If anyone is unlucky enough to know what ControlsIndicator_page.lua is, can you help me with sizing this? I've managed to kludge base.init into the right location on screen, but its about double the size needed

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Especially when you boot a game that insists on pulling input from an idle flight stick and the only way to fix it is to unplug it.

Holy crap - I've been playing with vjoy and joystick gremlin to tidy up All The Levers and just realised this might solve this problem for controllers as well. Thanks for sparking that idea.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

^^^ all of this, with all the buttons and knobs and levers sensibly ordered on 2 vjoy devices, it's a great system.

I think it's been mostly Unity games where indie devs haven't considered the multiple controller issue until hassled in their steam discussion, looking forward to never worrying about it again.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

So I dusted off my old Saitek throttle wrong (with a kids wetwipe I think) and now the surface is all hosed up - the sort of 'faux-rubbery' -feeling plastic is all fuzzy, and the back where the rear buttons sit is permanently sticky (and how, to chopper and spaceship jpegs) No amount of scrubbing is getting the gum off and I worry that rubbing alcohol or some other cleaner will make it worse. Which is the right formula to fix it?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks, that's reassuring. Its mainly going to serve as an extra button box so I won't have to grip the actual throttle much, but still eww gross

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

I assume it varies per monitor, but any pro tips on how to go about this?

Turn off all the axes and test each one by one, then start mixing them and tweaking to taste. So for the yaw axis you'll find the right straight line for looking left and right, just enough to see your rearmost knobs and levers etc.

Then try a curve so the left or right extremes move slower or even bounce back a little. Try putting one mark at say 80% down the straight line and another at 0x so you can feel where the curve begins to slow.

Some lines will be really flat ie you don't want your face to smash through the dash, or the roll doesn't spin your neck off your head.

You'll start to understand what the graphs actually mean.

For the pitch axis play with the asynchronous option - you might want full range of motion to the roof but only a little towards your seat.

e: you can do all this live in windowed/borderless

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 21, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

DrankSinatra posted:

2.) I don't know if anyone besides me uses opentrack with an aruco marker, but I guess it generalizes to most opentrack setups: It seems like opentrack is really smooth if it's the active window. As soon as I have MSFS full-screened, it's much, much worse, sometimes hitching for seconds at a time, and generally just kind of choppy. What's funny is that it seems to work fine if I have MSFS windowed, with the opentrack window visible. Should I just thrown in the towel and buy a TrackIR?

Isn't MSFS always windowed borderless so it 'shouldn't' make a difference? Do you get different results using neuralnet?

If you want to get complicated you could make a second monitor inside a browser with spacedesk.net and leave opentrack 'active' in that second desktop. It's also good for hiding joystick gremlin, weird dcs panel mirrors and whatnot.

(I like aruco but could never get a field of view good enough for all range ofmovements)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Vaguely related DCS question: is there a mod or simple way to shrink most HUDS by like 10% that doesn't involve complicated lua? I can never ever see the whole thing, including useful things like speed, with any form of headtracking on because they're cut off at the sides.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Gunship! was a great product. The graphics were "just good enough" but the mission generator was good enough so it seemed fresh every time. I don't know if it was truly random but it never felt scripted or repetitive. Microprose had a really good streak with that, F-19 Stealth Fighter, Airborne Ranger, etc.

Great manual too. GS2000 was my favourite, long hours slogging blackhawks around behind apaches and cobras because I couldnt figure out how to order them to do lifts and whatnot.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

No way I need any more kit but pleasantly surprised to see a worriying email from virpil headed 'price adjustment' saying that prices were, in fact, going down.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tried the Cabri and that was a lot of fun and way easy with the helicopter assists. Without them it just needed some rudder on take off and landing? Looking forward to comparing with the Bell, surely that will try and kill me.

Also VR mode is incredibly easy to just switch on and off, I love it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've put lots of effort into cheap mounts where I should have just eaten the extra cost when ordering kit:

My throttle is on a hobby/desk vice with the clamp attached to the desk and 2 90 degree shelving brackets:

Also used lighting pole mounts:

Maybe something like them can be bodged together if you can't find proper stuff? Assuming the vice above wouldn't be any better on the desk tho.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 29, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That Works posted:

Apologize for the Reddit link but this combo works really well for effectively. No cost if you have a WebCam.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/kbpq2s/use_opentrack_aitrack_to_get_headtracking_with/

Just opentrack by itself works fine, I'd need a science guy to sell me heavily on the evidence before using another 3rd party addition these days.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Squiggle posted:

neuralnet tracker plugin in opentrack sucks poo poo compared to AITrack for me. I have a face that Tobii can't track well apparently, and I guess the same is true for the neuralnet thing. AITrack+opentrack is good enough that I disconnected my IR setup.

I didn't believe it, I resisted the AirGoons discord dorks saying it was good, I tried it, and it is in fact VERY good. It just took the right settings in AITrack for my camera, and setting my camera's software to "FPS" mode so it collected at 60fps. I left my opentrack curves alone, and just used the ones I used for IR.

Type of camera I'm guessing? I was perfectly happy with the £5 ps3eye (rip my delantrack) until I couldn't get it to webcam any more and bought a new one for work.

The opentrack guys seem to be pretty good, credit for their staunch refusal to accept any donations. I wish they'd accepted a big pile of money to build webcam on their own ps3eye drivers though.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I just bought a box copy of Falcon4 fairly cheaply so I can admire the manual, maybe dip my toe into Bms, and to help learn the F16 for DCS as it was cheaper than printing its, or Chuck's, manuals out. It's fantastic.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Virpil are having a sale till the end of the month... Watch out for courier and customs charges if you're not close to one of their hubs though.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

It's the desk mounts that'll get ya. There are cheap but serviceable generic clamping ones on ebay that do the job.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Has there been any suggestion that 'Microprose' is going to do anything with the Falcon brand yet, or have their entire resources been devoted to that B17-remaster

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just wanted to pass on appreciaition of the Long Afternoon War posts, wish I had the time (and competence) to muck in.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Snapshot posted:

If you get time, grab an a4; it’s free, and they have plot armour. Go fly with ford and throw rockets at anything that is in your way. We also have a goon server up with a4 that has people flying on it almost every evening for us time zones.

Love the A4 and I'd be there but yeah its the time mainly - in the dad space of all the kit and modules but no opportunity, one day soon! Used to pop in to jazzahn's server occassionally, good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

When I win the lottery next week I'm gonna stick my virpil grip on one of those new force feedback monstrosities and trim my life away