Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I quit gaming a billion years ago but I can't scratch that flight sim itch off of me. Does MSFS work well on linux (steam edition)? Is there anything else worth trying to learn how to pilot civilian planes from cessna to airliners, vfr and ifr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Apparently Xplane 12 is just around the corner and Aerofly FS4 has just launched. Can't really compare them to MSFS from a technical pov but I heard good things about both. Thing is if they want to steal some market shares off MSFS they should come at a substantially lower price, instead they all costs pretty much the same while offering about the same if not less in terms of contents of the base package (airplanes and airports mainly but not only).

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I was downloading this 95Gb monster from a 10Mb connection, I had about 40Gb done when for some reason it lost the connection and there was nothing I could do but stop the game and restart it again. Apparently the launcher decided to delete all them 40Gb and started downloading from scratch again :vince:

So, dosn't Microsoft have a torrenting system for such a huge download??? Is there a way to download it from torrent and move it in the steam folder maybe?

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

And I have downloaded a Linux install with a 14.4k modem.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020: download will finish in 2023.

Glad this is not that thread :shepface:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

What's the best way to calibrate and map your controllers in linux? I have to whole CH shabang but I'm having a hard time figuring out all the presets. Also a cheatsheet would be great. Google told me about this 'Linux Joystick Mapper' but the last update happened in 2016. It's not even that bad considering the CH tool for windows comes straight back from the 90's in all its windows 98 pixelated beauty.

And... is a RX 6700 XT enough for this baby at 3440x1440 high/ultra settings or 4k high? I know the new gen is coming soon but it's never been a good time to buy a new GPU in the last 2/3 years so now it's close to msrp at least :shepspends:

froody guy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 26, 2022

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

In general though it is a very good card for Proton purposes, far less of a hassle to set up than the equivalent nvidia offering.
What you mean 'less of an hassle'? I had literally 0 hassle to make my rusty 970 perform like poo poo. I use nvidia drivers btw. Watching reviews online the 3060 ti seems a bit better, but it's also 100 bucks more here on the old side of the pond.

Sapozhnik posted:

One issue I've had is that trees at a certain LoD render as small white squares (presumably they're supposed to render as small green squares) so the ground can look rather spotty. Apparently this doesn't happen on the Deck and that runs almost exactly the same software and hardware so I don't know what the root cause is.
What's this Deck you're talking about? And this small white square problem happens always?

Sapozhnik posted:

As for joystick calibration, uh, adjust the sensitivity and curve settings inside MSFS itself I guess. Linux doesn't have any concept of joystick calibration and WINE has not implemented any sort of joystick calibration layer at this time.
On the CH Pro Throttle, the thumb-stick has always been used for moving your visual, but In good ole CH standard if you don't zero it via the calibration software there's always a little drag that makes your view... drag. Like, always, continually and continuously no matter how many times you reset the view or try to compensate. This must be fixed or I'll have to disable it. I also noticed that the excursion of my thumb-stick covers roughly half of the total excursion of the actual camera movement, and this is a problem you can always have with any joystick/axis so, calibration much needed.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 26, 2022

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Went back through my screenshot folder.

https://imgur.com/a/uH9pX4i

I don't generally screenshot situations where it's glaringly apparent (although there are quite a lot of those) because it kind of ruins the picture, but of the pictures I did dig up you can see a bunch of tinsel-y crap near the horizon (or in a band halfway between the horizon and glareshield in the third picture particularly apparent in a patch at around 11 o clock)

So what's causing this white cubes/dots kinda thing? I never heard of this bug before. Seems like a driver issue to me but it may depend on the kernel modules as well. I never had a red card in the last 15 years so I don't know much about common issues and workarounds. I use Garuda btw, or some other arch based distro like Manjaro or Arch itself but tbh for gaming (and pretty much anythging else) Garuda has been extremely solid so far.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No. Maybe a 6700 XT can run it at 3440x1440 high settings once FSR 2.0 is implemented (a vendor-neutral DLSS, basically), but I wouldn't count on it. 4K high settings is completely out of the question. That's 3080 territory (or a 6800 XT/6900 XT)

edit: maybe you can get away with 3440x1440 high settings if you're okay with a sub-60fps target. MSFS is mostly a pretty slow-paced affair, after all.
I don't think for a flight sim having 60 fps rock solid is anything really important so I think I can live with sub optimal fps or settings. Problem is the next gen is gonna blow all the benchmarks out of the way but for the mid tier ones we'll probably have to wait for quite some time.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good chair setup that will accommodate both a HOTAS and wheel/pedals/shifter setup?
Remove the armrests and use the screw holes for some savage DIY setup. You don't need to be an axe master to cut and glue some plywood or mdf board and drill a couple of hole in a piece of wood do you? Pedals are good on the floor I guess. If you need to incline them, again, DIY easy peasy.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

How bad is using a fake name on Vatsim? Is there any other circumstance (other platforms or services linked to vatsim or potential future developments) where having to tell the admin your name is actually not Manfred Albrecht McFly is gonna be a problem?

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

:staredog:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Went back through my screenshot folder.

https://imgur.com/a/uH9pX4i

I don't generally screenshot situations where it's glaringly apparent (although there are quite a lot of those) because it kind of ruins the picture, but of the pictures I did dig up you can see a bunch of tinsel-y crap near the horizon (or in a band halfway between the horizon and glareshield in the third picture particularly apparent in a patch at around 11 o clock)

Just curious: have you tried tweaking the settings manually in the UserCfg.opt file? I think FilmGrain could be the one to set to 0. Maybe try with Sharpen too

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I wonder how many civilian simmers out there use a yoke setup instead of an hotas. I mean, except those who actually build replicas and are super hardcore for their own reasons, is there any real benefit in using a yoke?

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

When forum warrioring about yokes, typing becomes less accurate. Facts. :laugh:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

illectro posted:

I used to fly everything with an X-52 Pro, then I got the Saiten Yoke, Throttle and Pedals for Christmas which encouraged me to go into real flying.
I get that and I obviously like the idea of 'being truthful to the real thing' but without any type of force feedback my impression is that it becomes one of those things that finally gives you the exact opposite result, breaking the immersion and making you feel like driving a car in the sky instead.

illectro posted:

Wish I had $999 for a proper side yoke.
I think the Winwing ones are technically side sticks being the airbus replica ones. Btw, I just looked at the Cirrus SR20 cockpit now and... that's one hell of a weird looking cockpit!

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

First time I see that side yoke system (both the real one and the sim thing) and... hu... drat... :jebcry: I see a 3D printer in your future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIO1B-M6C_E

:captainpop:

editing for future reference:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xlfxX843ra_KglRJZQncA8IkZVLRKvQo/view
https://github.com/MHeironimus/ArduinoJoystickLibrary
https://playground.arduino.cc/Code/Keypad/

froody guy fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 12, 2022

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

JayKay posted:

I have a full CH Products HOTAS setup and a Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo setup.
I have a full CH setup too and I was looking at the honeycomb stuff but as regards the yoke I have the impression I'll end up never using it for the reasons you just mentioned and while I heard only great things about the bravo throttle, it still looks plasticky AF and too much of a gadget to justify the cost. I mean, it's all money I would rather divert in a Virpil upgrade of my CH setup so... I'll probably do that.

JayKay posted:

Edit: I also need to replace and resolder the pots in my CH gear as I'm starting to get some jitter on various axii. I already have the replacement pots, I just haven't had the time or motivation to do it.
I don't think you need this but here's a schematics of the wiring of the throttle. Some CH guy sent me it since I had a DOA button that I needed to fix and couldn't ship the unit back to them across the pond for obvious reasons.

https://mega.nz/file/g48FDSST#GCHT1kKcz6aQpFQSPlzcKuM1BBhnQBeP6xHtk-johJc

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

A couple of noobish questions about the G1000 and vfr navigation, aka VOR to VOR navigation. First of all: it looks like in MSFS many VOR, not only of small airports but also on relatively big ones, are not active. What I don't understand is this: the frikken flight planner allows you to select them as departure, destination or midpoints, they get recognized by the NAV thing on the top of the PFD (main display) but no morse code can be heard and most of all no needle appears in the CDI. So why they simply don't allow you to pick up a dead VOR in the first place? Is there an offline tool to check if the VOR is actually alive in MSFS?
Here's an example, flying from BEL to ISY, at a certain point ISY gets finally acquired in the NAV2 display but... no needle on the CDI

Second: the GPS! Is there a way to disable the GPS planner in the MFD? I don't even know how to dial in a flight plan with GPS waypoints so I never did that but when you build your flight plan as a VOR to VOR plan, apparently MSFS decides that you need the GPS too and there you have it as soon as you login. Problem is: first of all sometimes the VOR used are not in the same location of the runaway nor the airport so you get a wrong heading to follow, but most of all the DME works only as a GPS based DME. How can I change the distance to my next waypoint to be based on the VOR I select and not the GPS waypoint I get automatically dialed in by the flight planner?
Here is what I mean, still flying from BEL to ISY, at a certain point I decided to dial in a new VOR (the MAC VOR at 116.00) but the distance was still shown to ISY because that was my next waypoint in the flight plan. And yes I know in the pic ISY is the VOR selected but trust me even when I swapped do MAC the pink part didn't change (also, pink = GPS so...wtf??!!)

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

So yes I based my assumptions on Skyvector where for ISY I saw the symbol of VOR + DME but I didn't notice that in MSFS it's actually marked as DME only. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a DME only vhf thing. Anyway... thanks to all those that pointed me out how to have the little DME to the VOR in the HSI/Bearing indicator, that's all I was asking. As for the GPS, of course I'll learn it, but oh boy isn't flying VOR-only the real deal?

Also, I learned one more thing today: flying on Norway at sunset is pretty glorious. Not only you get 2 hrs long sunsets and a beautiful screenshot generator, but if you're lucky you can get dat mun too :pilot:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Franckly funny :imunfunny:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Does anyone have any info about the implementation of the Diamond DA50 RG in MSFS? I don't really know how it works, but apparently Aerobask is making it for X-Plane, while the Got Friends fellas are working on the model for MSFS. Yet, this thread looks a bit dead to me.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Scruff McGruff posted:

My wife has mega rich family that live on Lake LBJ outside of Austin, TX and last time we were down there I thought "this seems like exactly the community that would buy an Icon". Turns out:
Small plane crashes into Lake LBJ; no injuries reported

quote:

It’s the kind of plane that lands on both water and land, and he forgot to retract the landing gear for a water landing.

:ughh:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

asked in the SHSC GPU thread, but I'll post again here. I'm thinking about upgrading GPU, and targeting a used RTX 3070 or maybe 3080 from a nice goonhome when the 4000 series goes on sale and peopel upgrade. Any reason to consider AMD GPUs instead for MSFS purposes? I believe MSFS doesn't support DLSS so there's not much of a gap between AMD and nvidia cards. Any thoughts from y'all? It will be driven by a R5 3600 for what it's worth.
One reason? The extra ram. And the fact that support for FSR 2.0 should be coming soonish. But if raytracing is something you dig, than nvidia will serve you better I guess. Also, I don't know much about sales going on rn but I heard nvidia ones are more aggressive so maybe it's better to scoop up a 3800 than a 6900, although I heard of some nasty sales on the 6900 XT too.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

3080ti for 850 bux, pretty hard to justify AMD's equivalent.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...aps%2C76&sr=8-3

What you mean, that 6900 XT for 700 or 800 bucks don't qualify?

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I've got GPU shortage PTSD. Despite all the fanfare about the next-gen, when I saw now-gen below MSRP... couldn't not buy :shepspends:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTG4n233aq0

Feel free to link it to the Falcon BMS thread if there's still one active :pilot:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Is there anyone still using CH products? I'm having a hard time having them working on my pc, Win11 updated and all checked. Drivers are from 2006 so I mean... thanks CH for the effort of not giving a gently caress so hard for almost 2 decades. That being said device manager recognizes them, it says they're working good but if I open the CtrlMgr app and try to calibrate them the app freezes (not the pc, just the app). MSFS doesn't see them at all.

Another concern I have is that they made me disable the 'core isolation/memory integrity' feature, and if I have them plugged in during at boot, they make me go into a reboot loop for some unspecified reason. So, I need to unplug them, boot up, then plug them in, but yet they won't work in MSFS.

I'm clueless also because I used them in the past and IIRC it was already on Win11 so wtf is going on?

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I found the solution in a comment on reddit. Basically it was just a matter of removing the CH drivers and their CH-Manager app but it was a bit tricky cause when you uninstall the CH drivers via their uninstall tool, it only removes the files from the install folder, it doesn't remove neither the drivers in ..\System32\drivers nor the entries he created in the registry.

Basically this fixed it

quote:

In (Sysinternals) Autoruns64 I deleted the 3 chdrvr0#'s from the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. I then deleted the 3 chdrvr0#.sys files from %WINDIR%\System32\drivers\.

So, with some generic driver built in Windows they all work perfectly with a little caveat. I don't think it's possible to calibrate them and it would be necessary. I see a Wingwin or Virpil hotas in my future.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Xakura posted:

There is some generic windows game controller calibration, can you use that?
Tbh no because the peripherals don't show up anywhere clearly distinguishable in device manager. I suspect they're hiding somehwere among them HID/USB input devices but it's not like when you plug in a gamepad that you can treat it like a joystick and calibrate it.

Xakura posted:

Also, VKB > Virpil/winwing
Really? I thought they were pretty much all the same, probably Winwing on the lower end of the spectrum but tbh it's the package I like the most, being 'the package' the sum of throttle + grip + base for the grip. Personally I like Virpil the most but the throttle seems a bit... lacking. VKB throttle also seems a bit too much 3dprinted in somebody's garage. Winwing also has more choices in terms of grips for DCS as you can choose the F15EX (2 variants) F16 and F18. Software wise (easy of use, customization, profiles...), I don't know but it's for sure something I'll consider as well.

Besides, Winwing is coming to the A320 crowd in full swing with some really affordable cockpit modules, so props to them.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 21, 2024

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

If you think back in the days (like 2012 days, when the space game that shell not be named was pre-launched), when all these grip&throttle galore was only a wet dream in some simmer's brain, there was one and only one premium choice and that was the warthog. And it looked outrageously expensive and overkill. It costed about the same as today.

So, looking at all you can buy today with 500 of today's dollars, man it's a lot!!

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

And watch Jonathan Beckett tutorials. LNV is such a great tool.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I was wondering... how do my fellow airgooners deal with VATSIM policy of registering and using your real life name and credentials on their servers? I find it absolutely out of the ordinary and borderline illegal in times where your 'online persona' is becoming almost as important, if not more important, than your physical one. Afaik IVAO has the same policy and to make the matter even worse, a bunch of other online services ask you to register under (or link) your vatsim/ivao account.

Wtf is wrong with these online simmers of the feckin 21 century? Are they waiting for somebody to get killed because he parked his 737 where someone else wanted to park his A320 and 'I WAS ASSIGNED THE SLOT FIRST'!!!??? Or because ATC put somebody onto a holding pattern while he totally had to land asafp because wife yelled at him requesting to report for duty?

These are dangerous times, who ain't got time for that relinquish-your-online-privacy poo poo?

froody guy fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 25, 2024

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I wouldn't ask if it was so easy.

I have a fake ID account on VATSIM but I only use it as a tool to use other services, mainly Simbrief, so I never actually flown on VATSIM, at which point I'm sure (and I've been told) that they'll require a copy of my ID and then I'll obviously get a ban coz... doh no can't do. IVAO should ask for a copy of your ID right at your first login, but I should try that just to be sure.

There's also a tool with a totally unfunny name where you can actually check under which name/CID anyone is logged in. Welcome to VATSPY

Even if they don't catch you at your first login, sooner rather than later that ID check will come and you WILL be banned.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 25, 2024

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Bentai posted:

I use a real sounding false name on there. Just use a generic rear end last name “Smith” or something. It’ll be fine.

But did they ever ask for an ID?

Anyway, all privacy issues aside, my main concern is to avoid losing all the connections to my VATSIM account should it one day get banned, and who knows what else, IP blacklisted, names called and dick punched.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

astr0man posted:

as has been stated repeatedly, they will only ask you for IRL ID if you try to register that you have an IRL pilot's license

Please show me on their T&C where it says what has been stated repeatedly in this thread by you and... hu, another guy?

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

Are you required to disclose your sex offender register status on VATSIM?

I mean, it's not that my :airquote: fake ID account :airquote: is Duder McDiddy or something something vaguely redflaggy.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

astr0man posted:

Not really sure what you're looking for here.

I was just looking around and trying to figure out how's that in the online simmer community it was considered normal, and required, to use your personal info to login. Never seen anything like that before. It's still considered 'gaming' isn't it? So, what's the big deal about preserving your anonymity? Wait, is that now it's 'normal' to imply that if someone wants to preserve his anonymity online he as something to hide in rl?

Anyway, no big deal really. I'll keep using my fake account. Much ado about nothing.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

When talking about the throttle + grip + base combo, I always thought it was better to get them all from the same manufacturer (ok, the base + grip one is a given) but is that true? Has anyone tried mixing them up and is there any sort of issue with usability, conflicting drivers, problems with managing profiles and maps...?

Talking about software, is there a brand among the 'big three' Winwing, Virpil and VKB that is clearly better or worse than the others? In terms of customization, map management, easy of use, regular update and bugfixes...

Time to ditch this CH bulky pieces of plastics.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Hard to admit it but it really looks like this is a quite competitive (and niche) market where you really get what you pay for. Meaning VKB really has an edge over the others. Virpil looks like too much squeezed in between the best no-question-asked aka VKB and best bang-for-your-buck aka Winwing. Even if I had infinite money I don't know if I could justify spending all the extra money for the VKB seen what you get with Winwing. I mean, it's not cheap stuff like Saitek or even TM (may it rest in piss). And it's by far the best looking one.

So well I'm thinking to get the VKB throttle coz of all them detent galore and overall build quality, but it has one huge issue that could be a deal breaker: it's not backlit!! I mean wtf?? Also aesthetically it's really a bit of a punch in the stomach and not exactly... modern. I also like the 'replica thing' of the Winwing so there's that (too).

As for the sticks, I was really keen on the Virpil Mongoost-50 but oh boy I'm not gonna spend 480 euro-dollars when I can have the whole F16EX combo shabang for the same exact price by Winwing!! Too bad they also only offer a bundle for the Constellation, which is clearly aimed at space simmers imo. I believe the Mongoost-50 is also their oldest product so probably getting discontinued soon.

Talking about the software, I didn't really get this

Tippis posted:

Winwing's software is easier on the eye and the brain, but it is also meant for a different use case where you are still running a software layer to feed back game data to the device and get button lights and displays and the like to match the in-game state. This is also in line with how much of their kit is meant to replicate a very specific cockpit setup, and if you're not flying that plane, you probably want to swap a lot of that out so it's not meant to be one-and-done to quite the same extent as Virpil. The actual capabilities are, for most uses, comparable, but for some of the more insane complexities in terms of input combinations (and device combinations), the Virpil stuff lets you do more…

Basically, it's not really a matter of “better or worse” but of use cases and where you want the functionality to exist: in the game, in the software, and/or in the hardware.

Aren't all these management/calibration software exactly a layer between the simulator and the hardware? Something that assigns a certain functionality to a button and it stays there no matter what you're playing? Like: trim up/down on button 5/7, be it DCS or MSFS, if you plug the joystick in, they'll get that assignment correct. And ofc to create profiles so that if you fly an F16 in DCS you have one profile and if you fly an A320 in MSFS you have another. Isn't that what they all do?

froody guy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

When I win the lottery next week I'm gonna stick my virpil grip on one of those new force feedback monstrosities and trim my life away

Talking about Saitek, didn't they make a FF stick already years ago? Everyone talked trash about it. I know now it's a 'new thing' apparently but imo mostly hype and... ain't nobody got time for that.