Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

azflyboy posted:

When I instructed in airplanes without a "both" position on the fuel selector, I used the rule of thumb of "fuel selector is on whatever tank the minute hand of the clock points to" for cruise, and then switched to the fullest tank as part of the descent checklist.

Probably doesn't work as well in airplanes with digital clocks, and I think MSFS substantially exaggerates the rolling moment caused by uneven fuel burn, so go with whatever works for you.

Sounds like "fuel selector is on whatever tank the second hand of the clock points to" :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Stringent posted:

p much everyone who plays vr sims (dcs) uses an hp reverb (wmr)

"Everyone" is stretching it, but the combination of room scale/hand controllers not mattering, and high resolution panels has made WMR popular in flight sims.

Going from vive to reverb was amazing, I could suddenly read all the dials.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

VR headsets are a no-go with me simply because my head is too loving big. If I'm using contacts then I'm still wiping the panels with my eyelashes and the whole thing is squeezing on me.

Hello fellow big head haver. On reverb I can't adjust the straps far enough out, they're just hanging on the stops now. And I brush the lenses with my eyelashes. While vive was never a problem, you can even adjust the depth from pads to lenses. So don't give up yet? Depending on which headsets you've tried.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Uh, you thought you would get the game+upgrade for the price of the upgrade? Truly a mystery why microsoft wouldn't allow that.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Romes128 posted:

Correct. I paid for the full deluxe version after first playing the game through Game Pass.

Paid $108.86. The rep from Microsoft said I would either have to get Game Pass again or just outright buy the game again from the MS store.

:psyduck:

What a scam, holy poo poo.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Scruff McGruff posted:

Well if you're going to have to have GamePass, you might as well take full advantage. There's a lot of good games on there. Subnautica, Outer Worlds, Halo Master Chief Collection, Crusader Kings 3, Age of Empires 3, The Metro franchise, Forza, Sea of Thieves, Void Bastards, Frostpunk, FTL, Cities: Skylines, No Man's Sky, Stellaris. It's a pretty good value if you like a wide variety of games. If you're just into flight sims though, that's a bummer.

I'm sure that is a comfort for him as microsoft scammed him out of a $60 value.

BMan posted:

the microsoft defender has logged on

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

good luck trying to read your instruments in VR

There has in fact been new headsets released since 2016.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Shipon posted:

That makes sense but if you have like a HOTAS and keyboard then not being able to see what you're doing with your hands seems like it would make it harder. I constantly have to look down and what I'm doing because I don't know the controls well enough through pure muscle movement.

That's on you then, hotas controls are made for being used without looking.

You could even put your bindings on a virtual kneeboard, that's going to be a lot more useful than looking down on a grey button trying to remember what target management switch right long would do.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Trillhouse posted:

The default loadouts have the old non-guided rocket pods, so I switched them for the Hydras.

Hydras are unguided, APKWS are hydras converted to guided weapons.
:mil101:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

FunOne posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the VKB joysticks? Thinking about upgrading from the Thrust master Xbox one to something nicer. The xbox one is fine for arcade games but it has a big dead zone and isnt the smoothest thing in the world.

Their tomcat grip is better than virpils. I also like their grip mounting system better. That said, virpil being compatible with Thrustmaster grips is a plus (you can get an adaptor for VKB). I think I might like virpils cams and springs better, but it's marginal.

Tracking and smoothness is very good. I went from a CH fighterstick, and am very pleased.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Trillhouse posted:

DCS just announced a new free to play promotion.

Standalone version (aka not-Steam) only.

Might be worth a look if you want to try out a plane on DCS.

To add to that, it's 14 days trial on each dlc separately, and they have their own 6 month cooldown timer. And you can do this as many times as you like.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Just play crimson skies again. You know you want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uVJ-9qDado

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eODFQSboBxg

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe it's an automatic thing? I don't know if it's that they used to or still do, but at some point you'd land an F18 (maybe it was a different plane) on a carrier by slamming it into the deck, going full afterburner and hope you caught the hook on the arresting cable. If you didn't catch the cable, you already had power to go around.

"Slamming into the deck" is how every carrier aircraft lands. Jets also need to increase power on touchdown, to be ready for an eventual go around. (Tomcats didn't use afterburner for this, because the massive thrust would pull out the arresting gear :radcat:)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Isn't Bing's 3d city stuff pretty limited? (And not getting better? Believe I read something about them basically dropping that project). I know at least I've tried to fly some places I know, and being disappointed how fast it got to just flat textures.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

It doesn't make any sense to apply full left and full right rudder simultaneously

Oh yeah? Then explain this! :colbert:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Inner Light posted:

not sure if DCS beats MSFS with this aircraft.

You should play DCS

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A Real Happy Camper posted:

fsx and msfs are both nightmares to install but fsx is a nightmare because it was designed when windows vista was new and amazing technology, while msfs is just your modern always online/big-rear end download that's poorly optimized problems

I submit to you that MSFS is in fact extraordinary in its incompetence.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Tayter Swift posted:

But it feels like the trim wheel goes 1... 2... 8-9-12-ZOOM and I guess I'd like a response curve for trim that's not so drat steeply exponential without messing with the curve for the view.

Squiggle posted:

Oh! That sounds like something I didn't fully realize but definitely seems to happen now that I think about it: it considers quick manual taps of a joystick button to be the same as holding it down, and after 3 or so inputs it seems to start jacking the trim at intervals of +5 or +10 instead of +1.

The Honeycomb Bravo's trim wheel kind of sucks for this exact reason - it's a free-spinning wheel that just "clicks" the inputs as it passes a certain notch in either direction, so if you spin it slowly it barely adjusts trim at all but if you KEEP spinning it slowly it suddenly starts flying. I wish it were a real 1-to-1 wheel kind of thing.

This sounds extremely terrible, why would anyone make this

Sapozhnik posted:

MSFS is made by the same company that gave us "pointer acceleration" so idk what you expect lol

:hmmyes:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

MrYenko posted:

Someone needs to take his shift key away.

:hmmyes:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Shine posted:

Old man yells about cloud.

:pusheen:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Scruff McGruff posted:

people seemed to be using yolks

GreatGreen posted:

legitimately has bought a yolk setup.

Are you two having a giggle?

GreatGreen posted:

I upgraded to an x56 HOTAS

I hope you got it cheap.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Scruff McGruff posted:

Just waiting for the day when I can flip on the Attitude Hold in an E2 and just do circles while staring at the F10 map.

I imagine the experience is much the same in a tanker. If anyone bothers you, just say "return pre contact" until they go away.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

jasoneatspizza posted:

When do you guys use rudders? Watching some videos recently, it seems like using them on every big turn (more than ten degrees) is what people do, so I started doing that. But then reading forums it seems split on people saying this is what you should do, and others saying ONLY use rudders during takeoff and to land crosswind.

At high angles of attack, the tomcat experiences roll reversal (where roll input gets inverted) and you need to use the rudders for roll control :radcat:

jasoneatspizza posted:

Also, can rudders be used to correct the heading by just a few degrees?

No

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Tippis posted:

Really good?
Virpil. Always virpil. :haw:

Having owned both, vkb > virpil

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

7800X3D was just announced too

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

ethanol posted:

Kinda depends. Like a WW2 sim I would want VR for tracking, but when it comes to longer more tedious stuff like learning a f18 in dcs or flying an airliner i would get the monitor first personally, VR just isnt comfortable for longer flights and when you need to see the keys

Counterpoint, VR loving rules and I've never had an issue with comfort on 2-2,5 hour long goon missions.

Yeah looking up stuff can be a bit of a hassle, but there are several ways to get reference material virtually in the headset, and when you're flying you should only use hotas binds and click around in the cockpit anyway.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

JayKay posted:

Anyone try this out yet? I'm currently updating and contemplating if I want to really hook all my gear up.

:radcat: :krad:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Bedurndurn posted:

Yeah if you refuse to get a quest, G2 from somebody on sale is absolutely the way you want to go.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Vahakyla posted:

Seems like there’s a sort of a plateau in VR headsets right now.

The highest consumer resolution is in the G2, not counting Varjo. The G2 pushes 2160 x 2160 per eye and the problem is absolute balls it takes already to render that. Increasing resolution isn’t likely on the table soon, so there’s no good direction to go.

Foveated rendering is what’s likely the next direction and that isn’t really up to the same group who is designing headsets. This is probably why the consumer headset teams have plateuaud and stopped hiring.

OLED would be nice though

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

MrYenko posted:

I’ve got my eyes (heh) on the Bigscreen Beyond.

Definitely a niche product, but one that hits me right in the forehead.

(Lol I’m a dork.)

That does look nice but lol at custom built IPD

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is there still a performance and/or compatibility impact for flight sims of Windows 11? Windows keeps pesterming me that it wants to upgrade.

https://www.techspot.com/news/97963-default-windows-setting-can-restrict-gaming-performance-up.html

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I have a 9700k and have more or less decided to build a 7800X3D system later this year. I've been with team blue for around 20 years, but I'm not really sold on the sort of Intel pc I could get for the same price as a 7800X3D pc.

Now let me tell you about the Meteor Lake L4 rumours..

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I said come in! posted:

That's fair, I think if they were wanting to crowdfund from the start then I would be really uncomfortable with supporting this project. Too many really bad experiences with veteran game developers coming out of no where to announce a new game, that its going to be crowdfunded, and then it just disappears or launches as a really terrible game that doesn't meet any of the promises.

:trustme:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

quote:

I'm so flying that into Heathrow on Vatsim

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Why is it called "F-16" if there's a twin throttle?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

MSFS installer is a crime

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

it's astounding that it opens a unique download session for each file, from 100mb textures to 2kb inis, instead of idfk maybe compressing the whole set into an archive and unzipping it locally when it's done??? maybe????

like you could not pick a slower and shittier way of transferring a large chunk of data

Asobo has negated your criticism by making a launcher that can also get stuck decompressing.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Chuck_D posted:

Wild. I've got ~1000hrs in FS2020 and haven't had the updater issues like you're all describing. I mean, functionally it sucks and is beyond stupid to have to update through steam then in-game (pre-launch), then again in-game (individual modules). But, I've always had relatively fast downloads without trouble.

It's not even that the downloads are slow (though they are), the installer regularly fails to decompress files, but it'll just hang there forever hammering away at the cpu doing nothing. I have 400 files left to decompress, and after having done the "delete problematic file, redownload and try again" a bunch of times, it seems like my best bet is to just delete 60 gig of files and run it again. It has seemingly no error handling or any way to verify that the downloaded files are correct.

It also by default installs the entire game in the appdata/roaming folder, which is an actual microsoft crime, and embarrassing behavior from a first party title.

Microsoft posted:

Roaming data do's and don'ts
-Use roaming for user preferences and customizations, links, and small data files. For example, use roaming to preserve a user's background color preference across all devices.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design/app-settings/store-and-retrieve-app-data#roaming-data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Also, a VPN increases my download speed by 4x?