Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Welcome to the flight sim thread. Here we talk about flight simulators of all kinds, associated hardware, and other things associated with flying.

Discord: AirGoons

Civilian Sims

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Olde. Also available on Steam!
Microsoft Flight Simulator (11/2020) The new hotness. Steam link.
X-Plane It's getting better Also available on Steam.
Prepar3D DON'T HAVE FUN WITH THIS! lol not on steam.

Military Sims
Il-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles (following from Shine): It had a pretty lovely launch, but they've put in a ton of work and turned it around. Still not at 1946's level for co-op/campaign stuff, but it's good poo poo (and has great VR support). Steam page
Digital Combat Series (DCS)
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
Wings of Prey
Rise of Flight Free to Play with 2 Planes, other planes are DLC
Strike Fighters 2 series/First Eagles Sim-Light, SF2 series is Jets from the 50s through the 70s, First Eagles is WWI. Apparently SF is being updated for Win10.
Over Flanders Fields - Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 required!
Falcon BMS, a free total conversion of the original Falcon 4.0 game from the 1990's, with a focus on the F16 variants in fully clickable and spergy cockpits. Used by many actual air forces. Basically, imagine DCS F16.

The thread for spergy and clickable military simulations, DCS World and Falcon BMS among them is here

Sauer posted:

DCS is like that really hot guy with a great body who's never had sex before, so he doesn't know what to do with his hands and blows his load in ten seconds so the fun ends quickly.

BMS is a guy who's been having sex for fifteen years and knows a million ways to surprise you and keep it fresh in the bedroom. But he's not very good looking and sometimes looses consciousness for no reason.

DCS is a pretty good looking game but the static packaged missions are fun once and you eventually run out of them. The dynamic campaign engine in Falcon is it's killer feature. Every game progresses differently; every mission proceeds differently; and you can watch this massive war going on all around you and you're just one dude stuck in it.

OH GOD I WANT MORE

Joysticks / Rudder Pedals / Other
***2020 HELLWORLD MODE! EVERYHING IS EXPENSIVE/LOW STOCK RIGHT NOW DUE TO COVID AND MSFS2020 BEING RECENTLY RELEASED***
CH Products - Expensive
Thrustmaster - Expensive / Affordable
Logitech - Expensive / Affordable. Mostly former Saitek designs now.
Honecomb. Expensive but top-tier quality.
GoFlight. Very Expensive. Worth it if you're building a total spergpit, though.
RealSimGear Affordable-ish. Also for spergpit builders, G1000, GNS430/530, GTN750, and various button/switch panels. MSFS2020 support is in beta as of September 2020.

This section stolen from an old Elite: Dangerous thread:

Rotation Confusion posted:

Joystick Hierarchy:

Thrustmaster Warthog: Very expensive ($400-500). Requires Pedals for yaw (+$50-100). Will last forever. Every button. Well made. Profile software designed by Satan.

CH Products Fighterstick Pro and Throttle: Expensive ($230ish together). Very solidly built, could knock down a house with them. Throttle is linear glide which some ppl love some ppl hate.

Saitech X-55: Expensive ($200). Great all around features. Iffy track record on durability. Plenty of buttons. Tech support terrible.

Saitech X-52 Pro: Mid-range ($150). Good features. Good track record on durability recently; bad at launch. Enough buttons. Black. Tech support terrible.

Saitech X-52: Mid-Range ($120). Good features. Good track record on durability recently; bad at launch. Has some plastic in places the Pro has metal. Enough buttons. Looks like a toy. Tech support terrible.

Thrustmaster 16000M: Cheap ($50). OK features, base is nice and heavy. Good durability. You will need to keyboard a lot of button commands.

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS: Cheap ($40). Cheapest "hotas" and a good way to see if you'll like HOTAS. Not enough hats or buttons, so not equivalent to the above ones.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro: Cheap ($30). OK features. Good durability.

Headtracking

Natural Point's TrackIR - Expensive
FreeTrack - Free / DIY
FaceTrackNoIR - Free / Experimental / Webcam-based

Civilian Sims
  • VATSIM - Virtual air traffic simulation network, works with Microsoft Flight Simulator series and X-plane (and others through some trickery), better than the lovely AI Air Traffic Control in FSX/FS2020.
  • VatStats - shows individual pilot statistics on VATSIM (only logs flights with filed flight plans).
  • Vattastic - Web-based VATSIM servinfo tool, shows who is online and where on VATSIM
  • Simroutes - Good for flight planning, some issues with SIDs/STARs.
  • VATSIM Chartfinder - US and Canadian airport charts (Canadian charts are out of date).
  • Skyvector - actual US IFR high, IFR Low and VFR charts, as well as airport charts. Also has generated charts for the rest of the world, but not as detailed.
  • Simbrief - Flight Planning, generates plan files for popular sims, also tells you how much fuel you should carry.
  • X-plane.org - Plenty of free add-ons for X-Plane + plenty of payware stuff.
  • Simviation - Lots of freeware add-ons for FS9/FSX.
  • PMDG - FSX/P3D Payware addons, namely Boeing 737-600/700/800/900, 747-400/400F, 777-200LR/F/300ER, BAe Jetream 4100 and McDonnell-Douglas MD-11. Insanely detailed. Expensive, but worth every penny. Expect to pay for upgrades

Military Sims
Combat Ace - Lots of addons for various Military flight sims

Other

SimHQ - Simulation news and forums for sperglords.
SelenicMartian's Strike Fighters 2 LP

FAQ

How do I turn on time acceleration in FS2020?
:frogout:

Thanks to pixelbaron for the formatting!

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Shine posted:

While IL-2 1946 is an all-time classic and deserves mention in the OP, I'd suggest adding IL-2: Great Battles (i.e. Battle of Stalingrad/Bodenplatte/etc.) to the OP, as that that is its modern successor. It had a pretty lovely launch, but they've put in a ton of work and turned it around. Still not at 1946's level for co-op/campaign stuff, but it's good poo poo (and has great VR support).

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SKIM OVER AND RECYCLE 8 YEAR OLD OPS.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

algebra testes posted:

In Mum's basement and LAX simultaneously.

If the current thread weren't only a day old...

And only on the second page

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Kunabomber posted:

For anyone that just has a joystick like I did, the T16000m TWCS Throttle is in stock at B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331331-REG/thrustmaster_2960754_twcs_throttle.html

B&H are good people, I shop them pretty much exclusively for my camera gear. Just be aware they are run by ultra-orthodox Jews and their website won't take orders on most Jewish holidays.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Give me a Lockheed Constellation

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

HookedOnChthonics posted:

One of my favorite things in P3D is being able to turn on visualizations for airspace, VORs, instrument approaches, and things like that—guessing MSFS doesn't have those functionalities out of the box?

It does for airspace/navaids/fixes, hit f on the map screen when making a flight.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

JayKay posted:

Eh, only issue I've run into buying on Steam vs Windows Marketplace is that the Navigraph beta only supports Windows Marketplace at the moment.

It's supported the Steam version since like the second update.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Enigma89 posted:

Anyone have a X56? Apparently these things powered USB ports which I have never used before. Thing is dying anytime I move the throttle because of maybe power problems?

Stick draws an assload of bower for some reason. my current HOTAS setup is the X56 throttle + CH pedals + CH Combat Stick on an unpowered hub and it works fine.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

If you're in the US, RealSimGear make a button box that is also a standalone display for the GNS430/530, G1000 and some other stuff.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

VostokProgram posted:

is this the thread for talking about how awesome Project Wingman is

Ace Combat 7 thread is also the PW thread

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

As much as I know I would enjoy VR, I still need to figure out how to keep it from making me completely physically ill after just 5 minutes of use.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

JayKay posted:

Not sure if this is an early April Fools but...

This was posted to Navigraph's Facebook.

Edit: It's apparently legit, Navigraph later responded: "Yeah. we were also a little concerned about announcing this so close to 1st of April"

yeah, I got this announcement as an email.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

two weeks before what will be a large payday for me due to mandatory overtime, holiday pay and a bonus.

(the bonus is "aaaa don't leave we're already hilariously shortstaffed", the mandatory OT is due to being hilariously shortstaffed)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Snapshot posted:

The rabbit hole only goes deeper from here. Soon you’ll be looking at 1.5 boxes of thrustmaster cougar mfds.

It's me, I'm the guy who just dropped $560 on Honeycomb gear.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Concorde and ???

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Animal posted:

Ah, St Barts. Back when I got my first multi-engine job flying C402's and Aztec's, the boss was a boomer prick like most Part 135 owners. One day he came back to TJSJ late and without his Aztec. With a heroic tale about how the airplane malfunctioned while on final for TFFJ RWY10 and he saved the day but had to leave the airplane there for minor repairs. This was around 2009 so the beginning of smartphone cameras, YouTube, and viral videos. A few days later a video popped up of him completely loving up his approach, refusing to go-around, and finally touching down way down the runway and crashing at the end. We showed him the video during one of his weekly meetings where he would lecture us about safety. He became livid and told us to delete it and not share it with anyone. We had to explain to him how YouTube worked.

Anyways here's the video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2o0acIlm4

Gets a mention in today's Paul Bertorelli video on a different crash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbIsL1ziq9Q

He gives us sim pilots who have successfully landed there a shoutout at the end

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Communist Bear posted:

Okay it wasn't that scary. The person I got was really nice and patient. I'll try again once I understand importing flight plans and understanding where the gently caress i'm going.

Think i'll try aiports I know, will make life easier for learning.

Yeah, my normal first flight for a light GA plane is something around Boston to KIZG

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Some

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

gently caress yeah MSFS update drops, forced to update, gets stuck unpacking one part, won't go past it. :smithicide:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Thanks, will give a try when I get home from work (currently stuck on a bus in Boston traffic)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

CaptainSim released a 717 for MSFS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIiUHEzp3QqM__2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5XcMkv_Mj4

Are their products really that bad?

The worst rated plane on the marketplace is their C-130.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I have that exact same setup (minus the stand). it's pretty nice.

Enigma89 posted:

<Nazi Defending BS>

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

:byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Chuck_D posted:

There have been a lot of rumblings on Reddit lately of them not delivering products after nearly a year, not responding when asking for refunds, and other generally-accepted lovely business practices.

back in february I ordered new C-clamps for mounting my Bravo to my desk as I lost the old ones when moving. The order was canceled with no immediate explanation nor notification, and it took a MONTH AND A HALF before I got a response to my "WTF???" email.

their explanation? "high risk of fraud because your billing address doesn't match your shipping address".

So rather than contact me they just canceled without so much as an email to let me know.