Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The latest update to Flight Sim somehow managed to break Honeycomb Yoke support???

[edit]
Got it work, Steams forced controller support is super terrible.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wonder if they'll put an AN-2 up in the store for Flight Simulator any time soon. That seems to be my brand of goofy plane.

If Microsoft doesn't a 3rd party likely will at some point. I'm disappointed actually at the lack of 3rd party planes up for sale, I was expecting the market to be flooded with FSX planes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

First Time Caller posted:

I wonder how many "avionics are suddenly just turning off" reports were from people leaving the ignition switch on Start after they received their honeycomb yokes

Ooh hey look its me, I am that pilot. That explains everything now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 252MB was just Steam. I just started the game, and another 13GB here, too.

God, I hope they finally hook up fiber to that new VDSL remote optical platform 20m from my house. Those mandatory big updates are painful, if you just want to do a quick flight.

--edit:
"Streetlights of smaller streets and roads should now be displayed more randomly"

I guess they heard my incessant bitching about too uniform lights.

I can't get full download speeds in the in-game Flight Sim downloader anyways, so it wouldn't really matter if I could get fiber optic to my house. :smithfrog:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Are they gonna add trains to MSFS or what :colbert:

Microsoft use to make a train simulator. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sigher posted:

The set-up is complete:

I really want that throttle for my setup. Even though all you really need is an Xbox controller to play this game, having controllers that resemble what is in real world planes, makes it so much more immersive, and it feels so much more natural flying the planes like this too. Really excited for the VR update coming this month as well, I just need my HP Reverb G2 to get here first, which will supposedly be sometime this month.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I get my Reverb G2 next Monday, perfect timing. :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No VR update yet, I was hoping to get to play with it before work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yea I wish they'd release it already. It's not just the Steam update itself, but the inevitable 30GB asset update that's gonna ruin my day.

I really hate this about Flight Sim, I don't understand why the updates cant just come directly through Steam. The in-game updater is so annoying. It doesn't help too that Flight Sim has horrible load times even on SSDs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's cause they're selling it on multiple storefronts so they don't want to write integrations with each. I agree it sucks

It's only two storefronts, and then eventually Xbox.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here we go, updating on Steam.

I wont be able to play until later today, but i'm very interested in hearing about your impressions with regards to performance in VR.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah that's three storefronts. Like I said it sucks but I get it from a development standpoint. I think also Windows Store DLC files are encrypted which meant that you'd want a bunch of external files anyways for mod-ability.

lol small first time indie devs release games on twice as many storefronts as this. I don't think this is the issue for Microsoft.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay I got to play with VR in Flight Sim, I left the settings on default, which was mostly low / medium because I just have a RTX 2070. Holy poo poo, even then it looked amazing, and basically I can no longer go back to 2D for this game. VR is too much of a game changer to go back. Lower settings be damned, VR cancels that out by a significant margin.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

How much would I have to spend on a PC that can run this game at 60fps on medium settings? And doing VR with a Quest 2?

That computer doesnt exist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steadiman posted:

I'm on a Vive Pro with a 2080 and it runs great at mostly medium (some high) settings. But I absolutely did have to mess with some settings outside of FS itself. If I recall I had to turn off motion smoothing in SteamVR, and I set the render scale to 80% in there. More importantly, I had to turn off Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in the Windows graphics settings. I think that last one made a big difference. I think I also had to turn on Threaded Optimization in the Nvidia settings. I followed a post I found on the Flight Simulator forums, it seemed to work because before that it was like a slideshow at low settings. The difference was night and day.

Thank you for the setting recommendations! Made some adjustments based on this, and will see if I can get more performance out of the game. My playing before was good once I took off, but I am hoping to be able to increase the settings. I have a RTX 2070 though, so there is only so much I can do. Will upgrade when the 4000 series cards come out in a few years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I need help with trouble shooting VR in Flight Sim. I have a HP Reverb G2, playing Flight Sim on Steam. When I switch over to VR mode, the headset just gives me a blank yellow screen. I restarted my computer, and now switching to VR mode in Flight Sim from the options menu, crashes me back to desktop. It use to not do this, I have been able to successfully play Flight Sim in VR just fine. Now it just isnt working at all. I am unsure what to do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I need help with trouble shooting VR in Flight Sim. I have a HP Reverb G2, playing Flight Sim on Steam. When I switch over to VR mode, the headset just gives me a blank yellow screen. I restarted my computer, and now switching to VR mode in Flight Sim from the options menu, crashes me back to desktop. It use to not do this, I have been able to successfully play Flight Sim in VR just fine. Now it just isnt working at all. I am unsure what to do.

Found the problem, HDR has to be disabled. Not sure why this is relevant, but Flight Sim is a very broken game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

The good news is HDR is broken anyway and the game rarely looks better with it on.

Yeah HDR has turned out to not be the game changer that it was suppose to be. The only time you see good use of HDR is in tech demo's designed for it. My monitor would be pointless if it wasn't for the 144hz mode it also has.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

DC Designs is gonna release their F-15 in roughly two weeks, as stand-alone because the MSFS store takes a while. And they're working on a F-22, too. Neat.

Definitely do want the F-22.

I have been wanting military jets in Microsoft Flight Sim 2020. Very excited for this and will buy both.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steadiman posted:

Soooo...flight sims...pretty neat huh?!

:haibrow:

I need to play Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 more often. I love it so much with VR and my Honeycomb yoke. My biggest roadblock really is just the horrible load times even on an SSD.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I only recall a 10 year support road map. MSFS2020 still needs tons of work, so I hope updates will be big and include lots of fixes and optimization. We know the devs are at least busy with the Xbox Series X port, and fixing up all of the really inaccurate landmarks and terrain that still exists. Some of it will take a very long time to complete. We know there is also co-op multiplayer coming too. Hoping for better SSD usage for faster load times, and better optimization for frame rate, but I have a feeling we are going to just have to wait a few more graphic card generations before we can play this with acceptable frame rate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish they'd finally add a splashscreen, considering how long it takes for the game window/surface to even show up. You're never sure it started properly.

Hoping with the eventual release of the Series-X version, Flight Sim will have better optimization on SSDs and load faster, but :lol: that is probably being too optimistic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

Where get honeycomb throttle quadrant

You and me both. I have been waiting since November to be able to pre-order again. I am upset at myself for not pre-ordering when I actually had the chance. I could have gotten it in December.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't remember FSX being anywhere near as broken, but also I would never go back to that sim either, FS2020 is still way better, and its VR support is too important to me to go back or consider other commercial flight sims.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"VR is now functional when HDR is enabled"

Ooh god finally, this was literally gamebreaking and isnt obvious if you don't know to look for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zero One posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0vpxK0Ub8U

Also there is a post on the FS forums now that the devs are looking into performance issues with the last update.

Last update? Try the whole loving game lol. I have a feeling we won't see acceptable performance for another 2 or 3 graphic card gens.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

Are there any modern flight sims where you fly a helicopter around and do (non-combat) missions? Like Sim Copter but with realistic helicopters, basically.

I've been playing DCS helicopters a lot lately and I love just flying around, but I also like objectives and stuff to complete. I've found a few dynamic missions for DCS Huey, one where you fly around Syria doing random medi-vacs and poo poo, and one where you haul lumber using the cargo winch. They're really fun, but I'm new to non-WWII flight sims so I don't know what's out there. Any recommendations?

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 is eventually getting this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

soggybagel posted:

I secured a 3060Ti this weekend. OH MY GOD THE GAME RUNS SO GOOD NOW. I built a pc back in August and haven’t been able to run this game at higher than 20fps. Oh my god I’m crying.

what sort of frame rates are you getting now and at what settings?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Very relevant to pretty much everyone in this thread. :P

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

I received a reverb g2 today and played around in msfs a bit. Tooling around vfr is quite fun but the image is a little blurry. I wear glasses (and my eyes don't quite have the same required correction) but every other vr thing I've tried in the past had something that let you adjust the focus.

Frame rate is actually pretty good as long as you don't whip your head around a lot. Must be the reprojection thing masking the real frame rate.

I am glad to read this because I haven't seen others bring up the blurry issue with their G2, but I have the same problem. It happens around the middle of the two lenses. It's more noticeable in some games than others. Not sure if there is a fix for this. I am not wearing glasses, I got prescription lenses to put over the ones in the G2, so I didn't have to wear my glasses. Mostly playing MSFS, and iRacing with it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Microsoft Flight Sim breaks more than just itself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am hoping that if the Series X version ever actually releases, that will come with a huge optimization overhaul for the PC version too, including something reaching acceptable load times. :P I know the chances of that happening are like somewhere in the ballpark of 0 - 5% likely.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has there been anything new on the helicopter expansion for Flight Sim?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

gently caress a helicopter. When do I get to drive trains in this flight sim?

I want boats.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has anyone tried Flight Sim on Xbox Series X yet? Once I am done patching the PC version, I will be downloading the game on there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RTX 2070 here, very noticeable frame rate increase in game. it is much nicer. Plus the load times are improved too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In MS Flight Sim, is there a way to listen to other players talking over voice? Or is there a Discord or somewhere else you can join to listen to player voice chat during flights?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In MS Flight Sim, how come after about an hour into my flight with the AI in control, they eventually start to crash into the ground on purpose? What is going on, and how do I fix this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whatever happened to helicopters coming to Flight Sim? Has there been any updates on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I'm still waiting for trains.

loving yes this is my dream.