Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah if all you want VR for is sims, then WMR is fine. If you like doing other stuff in VR too they are far from the best choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Quest2 is only $299, that's less than a lot of people drop on yokes throttles and pedals.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Blue On Blue posted:

As much as I love vr and flight sims. I think it still needs a way to “see” your real hotas in the virtual world

That was my biggest problem with elite was the multitude of buttons to push and not being able to see where my hand was in relation to the physical hotas

I’m sure with enough time on it you’d have a very good muscle memory though

What I did for Elite was make a pdf with a pic of my hotas and all the binds labeled, and just had that as a virtual window in my cockpit until muscle memory took over. Made it easy to use as a reference without needing to pull the headset off.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, take the headset off at the first signs of unease or you'll just make things worse. Ginger chews work great to combat the nausea as well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Someone upthread posted a guide to VR settings for MSFS2020 I think, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have a link?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thank you!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finally got around to trying out VR in MSFS2020, and holy poo poo is it amazing. Performance wasn't too bad either, after following the settings guide linked earlier. Only problem is that now I'm feeling the urge to pick a favorite plane and reproduce the cockpit 1:1 with working physical switches and controls. The slight disconnect from seeing a yoke while using a CH Fighterstick and Throttle was much more noticeable than when playing flatscreen.

Speaking of planes, did the version on XBOX game pass remove access to most of them? I only had two to choose from.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Imaginary Baron posted:

You have to manually download the other planes. I think it’s in a content manager page in game.

Interesting, thanks. I think after getting a taste of VR I'm going to actually buy the full game, is there a best storefront to buy from? Seems like there was some fuckery if you bought the game pass version and then let your sub lapse.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been having a problem with landmarks not loading in until I'm almost on top of them. A few days ago I flew to Devil's tower, and it didn't show up in game at all until I was about 200 feet away from flying into the side of it. Last night after the update I flew over the Cliffs of Dover, and they were featureless green blobs until I was within a few hundred feet again. Not sure if there is a data or cache setting I'm missing, but this is making it much less fun to check out landmarks.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

GTA V style small but super detailed map for a heli sim would be awesome.

Super accurate São Paulo would rule, biggest helicopter fleet in the world and upwards of 700 flights a day there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone looking to dress up their sim pit?

https://twitter.com/XboxFR/status/1382011655509381123?s=20

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is maybe the worst time in history to build a gaming pc, so double your budget or hold off on that idea.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Looks like my budget was indeed off, I would aim to spend around $2k for this : https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-aurora-r12-desktop?~ck=mn

The version 2nd from cheapest with 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 11700F and the other associated specs. Good enough for ~30-50 FPS on High in FS 2020? Ultra if I feel like pushing to low FPS?

For 1080p that 3060ti build would probably hit your target, 1440p or higher though you might want to temper expectations a bit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I still use a CH fighterstick, pro throttle and pedals and physically they are all tanks and feel great still but the software is terrible. You can use the default windows joystick software to calibrate though, so you only would need that for macros and such.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It hurts to hear my 9700k referred to as an "older system" but I'm all about that perf gain.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Haven't played much since launch, and was pleased to see they've completely redone all the tutorial flights. So much better now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We were a Commodore family growing up, and I spent a ton of time on the pre-MS Flight Sim2.0 on the C64. Later it was Chuck Yeager and Red Baron on an Amiga500.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

slidebite posted:

I also had an A500 and there was a jet sim, I think F18 Interceptor that was totally my jam. I loved that game.

As luck would have it an A500 that I ordered from the UK back in May (and has spent the subsequent months lost in mail hell in New Jersey) is supposedly on the truck for delivery today. Assuming it actually survived the journey, I'll have to load up a rom of F18 (and Chuck Yeager, Red Baron, Desert Strike, etc.)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have a favorite airport in one of the world update areas for just taking off and exploring scenery?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This looks like exactly what I wanted, something fast with a huge canopy for sight-seeing in VR. How does paid DLC work with the gamepass version of the game?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's just like mods. You drop the content into the community folder and you're good to go. The community folder:

C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

Excellent, thanks!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Has anyone seen MSFS bench results on the new Intel 12 series chips?

e: looks like Eurogamer did https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-intel-core-i9-12900k-i5-12600k-review?page=2

Might actually be time to consider upgrading from the 9700k...

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 5, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If you're willing to water cool and have a 1000w PSU. J/k, or am I?

I already have both of those things because I am a dumb, so strongly considering it...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Amazing post

:five:

Any more posts like that you feel like dropping are fine by me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alctel posted:

Unfortunately, I have

I'll try to find the pictures

edit: drat, apparently mine didn't bend funny

Glad you're ok! Looks like a nice field to put it down in at least.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

fuckpot posted:

MSFS Sim Update 10 beta coming out in a few hours. Apparently it has DLSS support. Been looking forward to this. DLSS looks identical to native to my eyes and adds at least 10 frames which will make a big difference in VR.

Awesome news, every last bit of performance for VR is more than welcome.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think the price hike coincides with the new Meta login, so if you buy one this week you should be able to wait a week or so and then skip the FB account all together.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd say just wait for the 4000 series, 4080 should be out by the end of the year and you made it this long on your 5700xt. It might be hard to get, but nowhere near as bad as the 3000 series was.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a 3080ti and saw big improvements in frametimes moving from a 9700k to a 12700k, it was more bottlenecked than I thought. 4090 looks to be a beast of a card, but I agree that your money is much better spent on a new mb/cpu.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Budget is important to know too, because FS2020 will happily use every scrap of GPU and CPU power you throw at it. Targeting 1080p 60fps is a much different proposition than targeting 4k 120 or VR.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

sigher posted:

Wait, did they fix the game pegging the poo poo out of a single core? I thought only really high clock speeds mattered because the game doesn't utilize the rest of the CPU.

I wish! Yeah, I just meant that you can get FPS gains all the way up the stack. Your wallet will flinch way before FS2020 will.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You guys are making it really hard to resist upgrading to a 7800x3d. Knew I should have held out another year when moving from a 9700k to the 12700k last Feb.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm kicking around the idea of moving on from my CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, and since almost everything I do now is GA I really am leaning towards a yoke. Is there something better than the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo throttle on the horizon? It's a lot of change to drop on a whim.

Also, how is the trim wheel on the throttle in FS2020? That's one thing I'm hoping for a major improvement on from what I've got, and I'm reading mixed reviews on that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Replaced my old CH Fighterstick/Throttle/Pedals and home built pvc frame with a bit of an upgrade this past weekend:

Honeycomb Alpha yoke, used Bravo Throttle from a goon, and a new Logitech G Pro rudder on a Wheel Stand Pro HC frame. I pretty much only fly in VR, but I'm finding myself wanting to just use a monitor so I can look at the controllers more. I'm worried this is what leads to full cockpit setups in the future.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Any more trip reports from Brew Barons? Thinking of picking it up this weekend. Worth getting now? Not worth it til more features are built out? How's the flying?

I'm enjoying it so far, but it seems that the brewery aspect is a much bigger part of the game than flying. I haven't gotten far enough for any combat though, so that balance might change later on. Flying mechanics are definitely on the arcadey side of things, but it's pretty fun. I don't regret picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Was just playing Desert Strike on my MiSTer FPGA last night, so this looks to be right up my alley.