Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Going to assume the answer is "No", but are any of the scenery packs for FSX forward compatible to FS2020? For example, https://flightsim.to/file/20529/kcmh-john-glenn-international-airport-v1-0

There are a few freeware airports I'd like from flightsim.to, but I'm assuming they're for FSX since 2020 is still relatively new and most everything appears to be pay (I don't want them that badly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That's a FS2020 scenery pack though?
Everything in that website was made for this version.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Negostrike posted:

That's a FS2020 scenery pack though?
Everything in that website was made for this version.

Ah, ok, I incorrectly assumed most everything for FS2020 had to be bought at this point for some reason. Maybe seeing the store in-game threw me off. Thanks.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

No problem. By the way, concerning FSX content, it seems to be compatible to a certain degree, but some conversion work is necessary.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Negostrike posted:

No problem. By the way, concerning FSX content, it seems to be compatible to a certain degree, but some conversion work is necessary.

Got it. I think I'd seen other sites with downloads but lacking those not for FSX.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ah, ok, I incorrectly assumed most everything for FS2020 had to be bought at this point for some reason. Maybe seeing the store in-game threw me off. Thanks.
There are a ton of incredibly well made freeware airports on fs.to. The gatwick addon is pretty much up there with any paid addon in quality, and several others aren't far behind. Also, as you're exploring the wild west of outside the game addons, you might find this mod manager helpful.

https://github.com/NathanVaughn/msfs-mod-manager

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
hey guys! I was directed here by the aviation thread. I see in the first post the recommendations for peripherals, which is great.

But does anyone have a recommendation for a prebuilt PC and monitors? With the option to do VR as well?

One of the issues I'm seeing is - some people are recommending 1000+ watt power sources and most of the big vendors aren't selling prebuilt PCs with something like this (or I just don't know where to look)

Alternatively, although I'd rather just have a prebuilt computer out of convenience, a shopping list for building a tower would be amazing as well

Thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cardiacarrest123 posted:

hey guys! I was directed here by the aviation thread. I see in the first post the recommendations for peripherals, which is great.

But does anyone have a recommendation for a prebuilt PC and monitors? With the option to do VR as well?

One of the issues I'm seeing is - some people are recommending 1000+ watt power sources and most of the big vendors aren't selling prebuilt PCs with something like this (or I just don't know where to look)

Alternatively, although I'd rather just have a prebuilt computer out of convenience, a shopping list for building a tower would be amazing as well

Thanks!

There's no one wattage you need in your power supply. It only needs to supply enough power for the rest of your components to work, which will vary depending on what those components are. Basically, any decent prebuilt will use a sufficient power supply, and there's no advantage to having more than "sufficient" power. So don't worry about it.

The most reliable prebuilts are going to be some of the more expensive ones, e.g. Origin PC. I've seen people have positive experiences with cheaper prebuilt companies like Skytech, but I don't know if I'd call them reliable since I've also seen some people have bad experiences too.

If you were to build your own, the parts I'd pick would be along these lines. The 5800X3D is a very good CPU for simulators, and you will need a pretty high-end GPU to drive VR at good frame rates. If you get a prebuilt instead, I'd try to get something with these kinds of specs, though it seems not many have 5800X3D options available (but Origin does). It looks like that will typically run you around $2500.

If you have further questions, it may be better to take this to the PC Building Megathread in SH/SC.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 9, 2023

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
If you go the prebuilt route it’s hard to beat Corsair Vengeance. Just watch out because sometimes some of their options are oddly configured with huge markups.
But they always have a few listed where if you were to price out the components it would be within two hundred of doing it yourself. Not to be confused with Corsair One PCs which aren’t that good.

They own OriginPC too.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 9, 2023

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
7800X3D was just announced too

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

If you go the prebuilt route it’s hard to beat Corsair Vengeance. Just watch out because sometimes some of their options are oddly configured with huge markups.
But they always have a few listed where if you were to price out the components it would be within two hundred of doing it yourself. Not to be confused with Corsair One PCs which aren’t that good.

They own OriginPC too.

Oh right, I forgot that Corsair owns Origin. Most prebuilts use awful cases with non-existent airflow and terrible thermal performance. The nice thing about Corsair/Origin is that their PCs mostly use their excellent 4000D/5000D Airflow cases, so you know you're going to at least get something that runs fairly cool and quiet.

Looking at the million options available, I'd probably choose something like this for MSFS VR, though it doesn't exactly have the best CPU for the job. (you really don't need 12 cores, considering MSFS and most other flight sims will use like... three.)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Budget is important to know too, because FS2020 will happily use every scrap of GPU and CPU power you throw at it. Targeting 1080p 60fps is a much different proposition than targeting 4k 120 or VR.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gewehr 43 posted:

As a career-long IT professional, truer words have never been written.

I would have agreed with that before I started supporting instrument control systems in labs. They may be able to make a mass spectrometer sing and dance, but the run gets interrupted if the screen locks.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Thanks for the replies, I’d like to keep the price including monitors and peripherals under 2.5k

But I’m still interested in hearing what it may cost for a solid VR or 4K setup

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I recently got a PC built for me from Overclockers in the UK, largely so I could do PCVR. I guess it's kind of a pre-built in that they have a load of different specced PCs, you can choose one as it is or change parts then they build it for you. I picked a build with a R5 5600x and a 3070ti then chose a bunch of different parts, think it came to just under £1800. Really happy with it: build quality, cable management etc. is top notch. It feels a lot better built and thought out than an off the shelf PC. Depending where you live I'd recommend seeing if a local PC store offers customisable builds.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Also monitor recommendations

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

cardiacarrest123 posted:

Also monitor recommendations

I got an older Alienware ultra wide which is still holding up, Heard good things about their newer models and also new Samsung Odyssey ultra wides.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cardiacarrest123 posted:

Thanks for the replies, I’d like to keep the price including monitors and peripherals under 2.5k

But I’m still interested in hearing what it may cost for a solid VR or 4K setup

The lowest GPU I'd go for VR is an RTX 3070. It sounds like you have to make too many visual compromises for my tastes if you want a lower-end GPU. Prebuilt prices vary, but you can build a computer with that GPU for around $1500, and prebuilts will cost less than $2k.

1440p monitors are the sweet spot currently and you can get decent ones for $300 or less (I like this one). For immersion's sake, ultrawides can be pretty sweet though. This is apparently a decent one, but there are more expensive IPS ultrawides that will be better (like the above goon's alienware), or there's the QD-OLED to rule them all. I will say that 4K looks very nice in MSFS due to all the fine distant details being displayed, but it's very demanding on your hardware and not a necessity.

Peripherals can range from around $160 for a thrustmaster hotas setup, to many hundreds of dollars for a full yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, and other misc panels and poo poo.

The most commonly recommended VR headset for sims is the Reverb G2. The motion controllers are pretty mediocre, but the clarity on the actual headset display is top-notch for the price range. This makes it a middling device for most 'normal' VR experiences, but for sit-down sims where you aren't using the motion controllers, it's great. It normally retails for something like $600, but it has seen sales that have brought it down as low as $350.

Head tracking can be a decent substitute for VR. It's not as immersive, but I still highly recommend it as a way to easily look around the cockpit. Track-IR is the standard go-to, but this guy has been making solid, cheaper alternatives for a few years now. You really only need the 60hz one (which is double what the hacked-together PS3 eye toy version I have does). You can also experiment with phone apps that use your phone camera.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 10, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Apologize for the Reddit link but this combo works really well for effectively. No cost if you have a WebCam.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/kbpq2s/use_opentrack_aitrack_to_get_headtracking_with/

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

That Works posted:

Apologize for the Reddit link but this combo works really well for effectively. No cost if you have a WebCam.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/kbpq2s/use_opentrack_aitrack_to_get_headtracking_with/

I recently got Tobii and I’m pretty happy with it.
The only thing I wish I could change is have separate pitch vs yaw sensitivity setting in MSFS. Right now MSFS ties them together into one setting.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Head tracking can be a decent substitute for VR. It's not as immersive, but I still highly recommend it as a way to easily look around the cockpit. Track-IR is the standard go-to, but this guy has been making solid, cheaper alternatives for a few years now. You really only need the 60hz one (which is double what the hacked-together PS3 eye toy version I have does). You can also experiment with phone apps that use your phone camera.

Can definitely recommend GrassMonkey, easy to set up and works better than using my phone with Smooth track.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That Works posted:

Just opentrack by itself works fine, I'd need a science guy to sell me heavily on the evidence before using another 3rd party addition these days.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Enos Cabell posted:

Budget is important to know too, because FS2020 will happily use every scrap of GPU and CPU power you throw at it. Targeting 1080p 60fps is a much different proposition than targeting 4k 120 or VR.

Wait, did they fix the game pegging the poo poo out of a single core? I thought only really high clock speeds mattered because the game doesn't utilize the rest of the CPU.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They've split out a couple more threads, but it's still heavily single-thread-dependent. I think what he's saying is that the game will always scale with faster hardware. A 13900K will get noticeably better frame rates than a 13600K, and you have to draw a line somewhere.

I will take back what I said earlier about the 5800X3D being best with the game. It does offer a big step up over the 5800X non-3D version, but the new Zen 4 chips (7000 series) is even faster, and Intel is still just barely holding onto the top spot, according to this benchmark. Considering how much the 5800X3D boosted performance over the 5800X, the 7800X3D could end up being the CPU to get for MSFS.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My downtuned-because-otherwise-unstsble-ryzen3600 cries

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Just opentrack by itself works fine, I'd need a science guy to sell me heavily on the evidence before using another 3rd party addition these days.

neuralnet tracker plugin in opentrack sucks poo poo compared to AITrack for me. I have a face that Tobii can't track well apparently, and I guess the same is true for the neuralnet thing. AITrack+opentrack is good enough that I disconnected my IR setup.

I didn't believe it, I resisted the AirGoons discord dorks saying it was good, I tried it, and it is in fact VERY good. It just took the right settings in AITrack for my camera, and setting my camera's software to "FPS" mode so it collected at 60fps. I left my opentrack curves alone, and just used the ones I used for IR.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 10, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

sigher posted:

Wait, did they fix the game pegging the poo poo out of a single core? I thought only really high clock speeds mattered because the game doesn't utilize the rest of the CPU.

I wish! Yeah, I just meant that you can get FPS gains all the way up the stack. Your wallet will flinch way before FS2020 will.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Squiggle posted:

neuralnet tracker plugin in opentrack sucks poo poo compared to AITrack for me. I have a face that Tobii can't track well apparently, and I guess the same is true for the neuralnet thing. AITrack+opentrack is good enough that I disconnected my IR setup.

I didn't believe it, I resisted the AirGoons discord dorks saying it was good, I tried it, and it is in fact VERY good. It just took the right settings in AITrack for my camera, and setting my camera's software to "FPS" mode so it collected at 60fps. I left my opentrack curves alone, and just used the ones I used for IR.

Type of camera I'm guessing? I was perfectly happy with the £5 ps3eye (rip my delantrack) until I couldn't get it to webcam any more and bought a new one for work.

The opentrack guys seem to be pretty good, credit for their staunch refusal to accept any donations. I wish they'd accepted a big pile of money to build webcam on their own ps3eye drivers though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chubby Henparty posted:

Type of camera I'm guessing? I was perfectly happy with the £5 ps3eye (rip my delantrack) until I couldn't get it to webcam any more and bought a new one for work.

The opentrack guys seem to be pretty good, credit for their staunch refusal to accept any donations. I wish they'd accepted a big pile of money to build webcam on their own ps3eye drivers though.

I am using a ~8+ yr old logitech 1080 webcam for it. I found opentrack alone was OK but had definite faults and inconsistent use. Pairing it to AITrack made it work almost all the time. It only seems to struggle with looking down beyond a certain point where it loses face recognition and gets really erratic. I found changing the curves for the axis for looking down could fix this most of the way. It's still in that respect a little worse than Track IR5, but for 0$ vs 100+$ well, no contest.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
A couple weeks ago, I started having an odd problem in FS2020 where my click hotspots for various buttons and knobs in the cockpit are offset from the actual 3d model.

It's happening in pretty much every aircraft, but for example, here's a screenshot of the Beech Baron.

You can see that the click spot for the softkey here is a ways above the actual button in the cockpit. All the buttons and knobs behave the same. Anyone ever seen this or have an idea of a fix?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Does your game window resolution match your monitors resolution and do you have any scaling stuff turned on?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Yep. I found a better google string that what I'd used previously and an asobo post led me to the fix.

If you're experiencing the problem in my screenshot above, go to the graphics menu and turn "lens correction" off. It's near the bottom of the list.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Facetracking tip: make sure you're on a USB 3.0 port or better.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Try switching to windowed mode and then back to fullscreen and see if that makes the problem go away at any step in the process.

I have a similar issue but then I run it under Linux and under GNOME at that so the fact that the game works at all is a miracle. But yeah I have to Alt+Enter twice and then switch virtual desktops right and left every time I start it up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Tried to push off two different gates at ATL to go to BNA tonight and came across tugs that never could say goodbye (i.e., wouldnt disconnect despite me Shift+P and requesting a pushback disconnect from virtual ATC).

I hate this game. And yet, I enjoy it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 11, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The grassmonkey puck is cool and good. Works well with the TrackIR receiver I already had. I replaced the passive TrackIR tiara because I well, lost it, and it was an inferior experience to an active tracker like the puck or the TrackIR pro it's emulating.

Lord Stimperor posted:

My downtuned-because-otherwise-unstsble-ryzen3600 cries

I got a 5600 for 150 bucks after tax and everything a month ago. It was a drop in upgrade from the 3600.

It would have been totally smooth if I didn't forget about bitlocker and locked out my poo poo :bahgawd:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

My only gripe with the grassmonkey puck is that I can't mount it high and offset like I was able to with the TrackClip Pro.

I realize I could probably 3D print a mount or something for my headphones, but effort.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It does have a dead angle I haven't gotten around to tuning out of it yet. I mostly use these things to dig around in panels so being able to look down is a key feature, but it'll shadow itself when tilting down. Plus I tend to wobble around while pressing buttons and it gets sickening.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Anybody else having problems with the 414 Chancellor under AAU1? The turbocharger WASM seems to be busted, if your mixture is anywhere below the absolute maximum stop then the engine sputters and quits, which is a problem because my Logitech throttle quadrant inputs like to vibrate constantly. This is at around ~15k feet. Manifold Pressure looks fine and the naturally-aspirated Cessna 310R still leans out normally in the climb under AAU1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
IIRC, the 414 uses a custom mixture setup (the default MSFS mixture model doesn't know turbocharging exists), so something may be messing with that.

If you haven't, try disabling everything but the 414 in your community folder and see if the issue is still there, since you could be running into a compatibility issue with something else.