Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Omobono posted:

They pointed Metroid Samus at the problem, didn't they?

In true alien spirit the federation is a dick and they wanna use the X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

SugarAddict posted:

Also why haven't they simply unleashed the metroids on the rest of the station as soon as they realized what was going on?

You have an X infestation, so you release Metroids to kill them. Now you have a Metroid infestation, so you release Samus to kill them. Now you have a Samus infestation, so you release X to kill them. Now you have an X infestation....

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Now you have a Samus infestation, so you activate the self-destruct sequence...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Now you have a Samus infestation, so you activate the self-destruct sequence...

I can't think of anything that works less for a Samus infestation.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

No it works. The self destruct sequence resets her to "chill on a beach in a bikini" mode.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Some Goon posted:

I can't think of anything that works less for a Samus infestation.

A couple of self destruct sequences is all it takes for her to lose all her powerups. Sure, you might lose a planet or two, but consider it an investment.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Wa11y posted:

You have an X infestation, so you release Metroids to kill them. Now you have a Metroid infestation, so you release Samus to kill them. Now you have a Samus infestation, so you release Phazon. Now you have a Dark Samus infestati... everything is fine, there is no problem with Dark Samus.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I still love how Phazon was built up in the Prime series.

Like, at first it's this radioactive goo. O-kay. Then you find out it can think.

Then you find out the Chozo's logs, where it turned out that they had all ascended to a higher plane of existence or whatever it is super-advanced beings do. And Phazon dragged them back.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

everything is fine, there is no problem with Dark Samus.

I did not know you're a member of the Dark Samus Fanclub.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Is there ten of the SA-Xs because they're the X, or are they the X because there's ten of them? :thunk:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What I really like about the direction the story takes here is that the way the Federation is trying to get Samus not to kill the SA-X - withholding powerups - is exactly the same thing Adam pulls off in Other M. Except in this game it kind of makes sense.

In a weird, unplanned way, you could call this story Adam's redemption arc.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

When Natural20 entered the boss room I turned down my speaker volume. MY EARS is everyone's first response to Neo Ridley.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Everybody be sure to turn up your speakers before watching!

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Somehow I had managed to completely block out the Ridley fight from my memory.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Vonnie posted:

The only impact Neo Ridley leaves is on your ears.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
So you've now reached the point of no return. Entering any navigation room after the death of Neo Ridley will force you into this ending sequence on your first playthrough. It's impossible to 100% the game on your first playthrough because of this...

...Or is it? Perhaps there's a way to avoid navigation rooms entirely, going between Sectors without passing through the navigation/recharge/save area at the beginning of every sector. Perhaps there's a way to 100% the game on your first playthrough, without NG+. But that's poppycock. After all, it's not like this sort of intersector connectivity exists. Surely not. It's not like there's points in the game where you go from Sector 6 to Sector 4, or Sector 2 to the Main Deck... Surely more of those connections couldn't exist, that'd be ridiculous.

(this is why Fusion is such a joy to 100% complete)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vonnie posted:

What's there to block out? You spam missiles at him while he just awkwardly flaps around trying to bump into you, pick you up, or spit fireballs at you while constantly letting loose that eardrum-blowing screech of his.

Like I said - Ridley's a chump, and even the X couldn't think of anything to do with him to actually make him a threat to you.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The only times Ridley is a real threat are when you are doing a low % run, playing Metroid 1 without clipping into walls or when being able to hurt him is tied to a really dumb and forced melee counter mechanic.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Everybody be sure to turn up your speakers before watching!

I'm wearing earbuds, have not changed my normal volume settings... I'm just about to reach that point in the video.

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Geemer posted:

The only times Ridley is a real threat are when you are doing a low % run, playing Metroid 1 without clipping into walls or when being able to hurt him is tied to a really dumb and forced melee counter mechanic.

I mean, I liked that game's melee counter, though that Ridley would be cooler if he had more vulnerability windows.

W.T. Fits posted:

Like I said - Ridley's a chump, and even the X couldn't think of anything to do with him to actually make him a threat to you.

That's why this Ridley isn't the final boss.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Call me crazy but I actually like that Ridley fight. Just a very ugly, brutal, knock down drag out slugfest. The oversized Ridley sprite and roaring help sell that feeling for me.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Quackles posted:

I mean, I liked that game's melee counter, though that Ridley would be cooler if he had more vulnerability windows.

I liked it too, in concept, but they fumbled the execution hard by making even fodder enemies take forever to kill if you didn't melee counter them. And Ridley was really the only boss that really got hamstrung by it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://s1.webmshare.com/mKvJX.webm

Dunno if this is actually viewable, if not could someone suggest a decent place to host a webm?

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 7, 2020

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I'd like to take a moment back down memory lane. Of what this game was like for the rest of us before Other M. Dealing with "Adam" the computer, getting a nice peek into Samus' backstory and how she interacted with the Federation in the past.

E3, 2009. Ninja Theory x Nintendo. We get treated to some nice space scenery getting wrecked by god knows what, and an unfamiliar looking blonde woman and a uniformed military officer. Then one line casually thrown out: "Any Objections, Lady?" One line, giving longtime fans a split second of hype before making the actual reveal.

...sigh, what a disappointment it was in the end.

EDIT: What timing!

Natural 20 posted:

Dunno if this is actually viewable, if not could someone suggest a decent place to host a webm?
It works as an embedded link

EDIT EDIT: ...well, okay it does when you add the https bit in front of it

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 7, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bruceski posted:

It's made explicit in Samus Returns, some pictures unlocked afterward about the colonization of SR388

The last picture is a doozy, come on Nintendo make Metroid 5 cowards! There's some great plot hooks between that last pic and Fusion, you haven't painted Samus into a corner!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Krysmphoenix posted:

It works as an embedded link

EDIT EDIT: ...well, okay it does when you add the https bit in front of it

Works for me when I remove the s in the https in it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Imgur works, but you gotta unmute it manually.
https://i.imgur.com/I2BJLD3.mp4

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Tea's admirably consistent AI-ism making another appearance this episode. I'd love to see him to a run through of Detroit: Become Human.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Just a very ugly, brutal, knock down drag out slugfest. The oversized Ridley sprite and roaring help sell that feeling for me.
It would if not for those tiny little flappy wings. Honestly, Ridley looks ridiculous more than anything else.
The stupid name doesn't help either.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id say Tourian is part of how the galfed can raise and rapidly evolve metroids, since Mother Brain was using tourian as a base to breed them. They basically finished what she started.
And the Aurora Units are based off of Mother Brain too HMMMMM

God metroid could go in so many varied and interesting ways. I love it.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I always thought that Mother Brain was an Aurora unit. That the pirates stole one and modded it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No, mother brain is a chozo original. The AUs are made by the galfed, and the pirates did steal one to take to phaaze.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Then what was that one video that they made for Prime 3 that shows them talking about the AUs and "here, enjoy this wireframe rendition of the final approach to Motherbrain"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plADYc4tnTE

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Bellmaker posted:

The last picture is a doozy, come on Nintendo make Metroid 5 cowards! There's some great plot hooks between that last pic and Fusion, you haven't painted Samus into a corner!

For what it's worth, Sakamoto said in an interview with a Spanish magazine that he wanted to keep people in suspense on what 2d/10 actually means for a bit until the next game, so I think we'll get something once he's done with the Famicom Tantei Club remakes he's been on this year.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

bladeworksmaster posted:

For what it's worth, Sakamoto said in an interview with a Spanish magazine that he wanted to keep people in suspense on what 2d/10 actually means for a bit until the next game, so I think we'll get something once he's done with the Famicom Tantei Club remakes he's been on this year.

I mean I thought it was pretty obvious, the Chozo aren't as peaceful as they are portrayed to be, which makes a looooot of sense given their genetic engineering everything, the Power Suit Samus uses, repeated references to Chozo warriors, etc. Samus may have been taken in by the Chozo equivalent of a monastery?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Bellmaker posted:

I mean I thought it was pretty obvious, the Chozo aren't as peaceful as they are portrayed to be, which makes a looooot of sense given their genetic engineering everything, the Power Suit Samus uses, repeated references to Chozo warriors, etc. Samus may have been taken in by the Chozo equivalent of a monastery?
I always thought that the Chozo, as the wise and peaceful bird people we know, were sort of the end-state of their society. In their ancient times they too made war on each other and conquered their way across the stars until eventually, they...stopped. Perhaps as a society they developed beyond the need for large-scale conflict, or perhaps they came to a sort of spiritual enlightenment. Perhaps, like us, their tools of war became so powerful that to use them would jeopardize the galaxy (for us, Earth) itself.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I always thought that the Chozo, as the wise and peaceful bird people we know, were sort of the end-state of their society. In their ancient times they too made war on each other and conquered their way across the stars until eventually, they...stopped. Perhaps as a society they developed beyond the need for large-scale conflict, or perhaps they came to a sort of spiritual enlightenment. Perhaps, like us, their tools of war became so powerful that to use them would jeopardize the galaxy (for us, Earth) itself.

Samus will have a tally of two planets (plus how many she blew up in the Prime games, I really should play those) by the end of this game and she's wearing a power suit.

Imagine what a Chozo warship could do.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FeyerbrandX posted:

Then what was that one video that they made for Prime 3 that shows them talking about the AUs and "here, enjoy this wireframe rendition of the final approach to Motherbrain"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plADYc4tnTE

Yeah the AUs are based off of Mother Brain.

See what I mean about this possibly going in super interesting ways?
Galfed repeating the mistakes of the chozo but on a rapidly accelerated timescale, and with much less heed or understanding for the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Omobono posted:

Samus will have a tally of two planets (plus how many she blew up in the Prime games, I really should play those) by the end of this game and she's wearing a power suit.

Imagine what a Chozo warship could do.

Lessee...
Prime: kills(ish) a meteor, planet remains.
Prime 2: Planet survives
Prime 3: multiple planets, I think only one blows up.