Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Metroid Fusion was always one of my favorite metroid games and favorite gba games in general. I must say, good luck in sector 4 and watch out for any alternate path you can take as doing that will start to help by this point in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Gnoman posted:

Coukd you have gottem that boss with bombs? That's certainly whatnit seemed to be telegraphing to me.
No, he did it the one correct way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gnoman posted:

Coukd you have gottem that boss with bombs? That's certainly whatnit seemed to be telegraphing to me.

If you let it jump on you it sucks you in and starts draining your energy. I think at that point you can escape using bombs.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Fusion was my introduction to the Metroid series; I've since played and enjoyed Zero Mission and Samus Returns. I'm not entirely sure whether I prefer this or Zero Mission.

I also just finished watching your Symphony of the Night playthrough. I liked it quite a bit, though I'd advise you add episode 33 to the Youtube playlist.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Edit: Wrong Sax SA-X. Need to find the right one. Looks like it got DMCAed RIP epic sax SA-X.
It appears the whole previous LP of this was DMCAed or something. It appears Meccaprime is gone and with it almost all his LP videos are gone.
Blip.tv is gone also. RIP.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 9, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SugarAddict posted:

Edit: Wrong Sax SA-X. Need to find the right one. Looks like it got DMCAed RIP epic sax SA-X.
It appears the whole previous LP of this was DMCAed or something. It appears Meccaprime is gone and with it almost all his LP videos are gone.
Blip.tv is gone also. RIP.

And this is why I back up LPs I really enjoy locally

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

this is one of my favorite bosses in the series, easily my (2nd) favorite boss in the game Nightmare no. 1

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
"I want to be your friend!"

This isn't Steven Universe, you can't defeat your enemies by making friends with them.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You thought Serris would be an easy battle, but it...

S e r r i s n ' t :v:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
I just noticed that the Fusion suit pulses. The blue stuff is living tissue. I'd always thought it was just some kind of synthetic rubber or something that was patching the gaps in the suit.

I don't know why that surprises me, or why I didn't notice it before.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Your reactions had me grinning through the entire Serris fight, it's wonderful.

It's worth noting that in general Samus takes a lot more damage in this game than others (perhaps due to the thinner suit), and you can't really face-tank the way you might expect. Super Metroid can give you some bad habits for this one.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

There was a bit of desync in this. You seemed to say something a moment before something happened in the game.

Got to love the first Serris reaction :allears:.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I wonder when Natural 20 will realise that the Core-X have invincibility frames.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Epicmissingno posted:

I wonder when Natural 20 will realise that the Core-X have invincibility frames.

This but any enemy that doesn't die in one hit. These missile double-taps are killing me.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Alien Arcana posted:

I just noticed that the Fusion suit pulses. The blue stuff is living tissue. I'd always thought it was just some kind of synthetic rubber or something that was patching the gaps in the suit.

Are you sure it isn't just Samus breathing? She had a similar idle animation in Super with bits of the suit moving slightly.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

One tip I should say that without x-ray visor, you can identify what kind of block a tile is just by using the morph ball bomb near it.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Explopyro posted:

It's worth noting that in general Samus takes a lot more damage in this game than others (perhaps due to the thinner suit), and you can't really face-tank the way you might expect. Super Metroid can give you some bad habits for this one.

I think the emergency surgery where they literally ripped the suit parts off her to perform operations is to blame for the lowered durability, yeah. It’s at least a good enough explanation for me.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Explopyro posted:

Your reactions had me grinning through the entire Serris fight, it's wonderful.

The suit upgrades are really solid levels of damage reduction. Combined with almost every enemy dropping health, you don't really notice how much you're taking until you face off with a boss that's actually a threat (Core Xs don't count there)

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Alien Arcana posted:

Isn't the Power Suit itself techno-organic? I think they said something like that in those Nintendo Power comics, and the wiki says it connects itself to her biologically.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are you sure it isn't just Samus breathing? She had a similar idle animation in Super with bits of the suit moving slightly.

Now that I'm paying attention to it for the first time, the blue sections around her torso seem to be pulsing with a greater capacity than if she was just breathing.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
I was so waiting for the first X-core death. I remember being quite mad when that happened to me after I beat a hard boss the first time.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I had a core-X death on 2 fights: Nightmare and Sa-X

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

W.T. Fits posted:

"I want to be your friend!"

This isn't Steven Universe, you can't defeat your enemies by making friends with them.

Samus did defeat the super metroid* in Super Metroid by being friends its mom :colbert:.

*I don't know if it's an official designation but come on

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

The Baby!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Omobono posted:

Samus did defeat the super metroid* in Super Metroid by being friends its mom :colbert:.

The Baby was never Samus's enemy to begin with, so it doesn't count. :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zernach posted:

I was so waiting for the first X-core death. I remember being quite mad when that happened to me after I beat a hard boss the first time.
Gives me deep Megaman 1 flashbacks of all things, where you could die from the last lingering attack before picking up the "You killed the boss!" orb.

On the bright side, confirmed that Samus looks just fine underneath the suit after all her crazy mad science surgery.

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I guess there's really no reason I can't spell it out. When you get towards the end of the game, if you access any of the Nav/Data rooms that come up at the beginning of the sectors, it will lock you out of all the remaining sectors and funnel you into the endgame sequence. There is no indication or reason for this.

The reason is the Fed's demand you be detained... and then you're on a narrative, though not mechanical, time limit to deal with the Station before the Feds get here its a narrative thing, and the whole beat is supposed to be a bit surprising.
Once you beat the game, all the doors are unlocked again when you reload your save(alongside adding the Item Completion trackers to the map screen) and will only lock down again when you start the final boss sequence proper.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Natural 20 posted:

There is currently a lot of debate about this. Mainly in Tea's head.

On one hand he thinks it would easily be the best capstone to our tour of Metroidvanias, but after hearing me talk about games (and from knowing me for more than 20 year) he's absolutely convinced I won't like it.

I feel like you'd at least like it more than you liked Super Metroid, but I haven't known you for twenty years. :v: In any case, it'd be interesting to see!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 12, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Not going to lie, I love how frustrated Tea sounds at the end of this one.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
GOOD GOD PRESS THE OTHER TRIGGER

Also would like to see that pirate sector.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

He's probably going to have a fun time in sector 6 real soon

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

watching him learn to shinespark was adorable

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yes, this is definitely a sequel to the Super Metroid LP.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Last(?) hot Metroid take from me: the Speed Booster is a huge letdown. My memory of the 2D Metroid games that have it is that for every spot where you can just floor it and use the Speed Booster to flatten a bunch of enemies and/or speed up travel, there's two spots that are obnoxious platforming/environmental puzzles that require you to preserve a shinespark across some long distance.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Nat 20: "I want to be your friend!" *shoots it*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I love every single time Nat drops a bomb 5 feet away from where it would reveal something, then leaves.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

C-Euro posted:

Last(?) hot Metroid take from me: the Speed Booster is a huge letdown. My memory of the 2D Metroid games that have it is that for every spot where you can just floor it and use the Speed Booster to flatten a bunch of enemies and/or speed up travel, there's two spots that are obnoxious platforming/environmental puzzles that require you to preserve a shinespark across some long distance.

This is a problem I have big time with the GBA Metroids and AM2R as well, they abuse the hell out of the Speed Booster as a puzzle device to the point that seeing Shinespark puzzles for items only succeeds in pissing me off.

edit: I should clarify that the Speed Booster/Shinespark are inherently awesome power ups, but making a third of your game’s item pickups based around their use is excessive as gently caress.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 13, 2020

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Man, that water section looked pretty. At the start of this LP, I wasn't expecting to actually like the graphics style. Compared to Super Metroid (and the original NES Metroid!) this seemed a bit too cartoonishly colourful and bright at first, but it's grown on me fast.

One thing helping me warm up to this game is that it feels really tight in its controls. Even though I'm not the one playing and pushing the buttons, little things like being able to grab onto the ledges and stuff make it at least look like moving around is really smooth. That and the nice colourful look make this game just feel really nicely packaged and fun to play. I'm definitely more engaged watching this one than Super Metroid so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
God I was stuck so long on the route to the security room where you have to jump with a speed charge, and he just does it by accident

Bifauxnen posted:

Man, that water section looked pretty. At the start of this LP, I wasn't expecting to actually like the graphics style. Compared to Super Metroid (and the original NES Metroid!) this seemed a bit too cartoonishly colourful and bright at first, but it's grown on me fast.

One thing helping me warm up to this game is that it feels really tight in its controls. Even though I'm not the one playing and pushing the buttons, little things like being able to grab onto the ledges and stuff make it at least look like moving around is really smooth. That and the nice colourful look make this game just feel really nicely packaged and fun to play. I'm definitely more engaged watching this one than Super Metroid so far.
1) I think GBA games in general just had to look like that in order to be visible on a handheld without (at first) a backlight. It took the Castlevania GBA games three attempts to figure that out. There's a post I made on another forum to illustrate what I mean:

quote:

One thing to keep in mind too is that while some developers definitely were aware of the GBA's color and lighting problems, others weren't or didn't care, so it's impossible to say how much of popping, saturated colors is overdone to eliminate some hardware issues, or done exactly like that because the artists wanted these colors. One stunning example imo is the evolution of the GBA Castlevania graphics.

Circle of the Moon

This game was an early GBA game, and widely criticized for being way too dark, the play character blends in too much with the background and it's super hard to make out what's going on. It's not an issue anymore due to most GBA games being played on an emulator, or an Advance SP, but you can clearly see how it was a definite issue, which the developers might simply have not noticed.

Harmony of Dissonance

In a very clear reaction to the critique of CotM's graphics, its successor HoD is positively eye-searing: the player character has a blue outline and leaves after-images wherever he goes, everything is very very bright and you could argue that yes, emulating this perfectly and calling it ugly misses the point, it was intended to pop at a typical GBA screen and even on an SP it would probably be too bright and contrast-y.

Aria of Sorrow

The final CV on GBA shows that they have finally found the best of both worlds: clear, bright colors, definite contrast of player character with background (it's probably no coincidence that Soma wears white), without resorting to "shortcuts" like the outline of HoD. It probably helps that as a later GBA game, the SP was probably out (too lazy to check sorry) and they could be a little more lenient than with HoD. I don't know about the latter's critical reception beyond "it's not really good" (because that's my opinion lol), but it probably got some words as being over-corrected in the wrong direction regardless of hardware, too.

2) Fusion genuinely feels incredible to play. Zero Mission is even more fluid, but both engines fit their level design incredibly well (ZM being built with sequence breaks in minds goes hand in hand with it allowing infinite bomb jumps and single-wall wall jumps, for instance).