Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nidoking posted:

Fusion and Prime were contemporaries to the point that if you had a Game Boy Advance and the Link Cable, you could connect your complete Fusion save to Prime and unlock the Fusion Suit in Prime. I did that. I don't know whether to be proud of it or not.

I did it too, looked ugly as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Basically, in case it's not clear yet, they wanted to make a Metroid game with a wordier story, realized that to do so in the way they wanted would involve limiting the player's freedom more than usual, and wrote that into the plot with things like locking you in the nav room until you check in.

Other M's sin wasn't trying to do the same thing, it was doing it badly. Fusion makes some sacrifices but they knew they were making them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Who among us hasn't looked at Samus Motherfucking Aran and said "I wanna be that"?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

bladeworksmaster posted:

Alright, so here, the thematic core of Metroid Fusion comes together, and it's that Samus, and Fusion as a game, faces the very specter of Super Metroid itself, and has to deal with her very identity stripped away from her and slowly getting it back.

The SA-X represents the literal sense of being the specter of her peak and hunts her mercilessly as she did the Metroids in 2/SR, and as a kid was a terrifying as hell villain. While you can cheese it if you know what you're doing, it can and will kill Samus easily given the chance, and it does so very robotically as you'd expect it to.

More to come as it becomes relevant, but suffice to say the adventure starts really clicking for me at this point.

They do a great job of making SA-X scary. It's not some "super strong" bad guy who does 5 damage when they show up in the early game. It's the opposite of the classic RPG trope where you need to beat someone conventionally and then they wipe you out in a scripted attack.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 6, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I love every single time Nat drops a bomb 5 feet away from where it would reveal something, then leaves.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

If it was designed with the sequence breaking in mind, though, is it really sequence breaking? Or is it just following an alternate sequence that the developers set up for you with the illusion of it being sequence breaking?

Let's say we have a sequence of events in the game that goes A -> B -> C -> D. This is the developer's intended sequence of events. If I discover a cool trick that lets me skip past B and C and go do D first, then go back and finish up B and C, then that's sequence breaking.

But if the developer deliberately set the game up so that I could pull off that trick, then it's not actually sequence breaking. It's just an alternate sequence that's set up to allow me to go A -> D -> B -> C instead of A -> B -> C -> D.

So in that regard, Metroid Zero Mission's not really a game designed around sequence breaking. It's a game with a bunch of hidden alternate progression paths that are set up in such a way as to give the illusion of being able to sequence break.

By that argument no game is designed around sequence breaking.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

5 minutes in did you say "peak" is slang for bad because it's short for "peak time" and that's when you have lots of bears? I either didn't hear that right or England is a weird place where you can set your watch by the wildlife migration.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

And that's when you have high fares (on the trains and buses etc.)

That makes a lot more sense. One of those moments when you know you've parsed something wrong but can't figure out how to get to the right words.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

The only time I've heard peak being used as bad when it comes to slang is bigoted fucknuts insulting trans people, saying kids are becoming "peak trans," or insulting someone's mannerisms, saying they're "peak trans." And when it comes to cool music being behind the times, I once heard Pink on the oldies station from the radio. Specifically that whole, "I'm coming out, and it's time to get this party started!" Yeah, not my first choice for oldies songs.

re: the difficulty, some of the upcoming bosses don't gently caress around.

Wait, didn't that come out in 2001? I got angry enough when REM started playing on my local one. I need to find a new station for Motown and Folk Rock and stuff like that, but these days that means internet connection and I can't be arsed to figure out how to set that up in my car and whether it's useful in the places I drive or would rack up a bunch of data charges. There's a great local station that's been going since back when that stuff was current Pop but their signal range is in the single digit of miles, drops out if a medium-sized building gets in the way, and some other broadcast station is trying to take the channel and the commercials are interspersed with "please write the FCC and tell them you actually listen to us" so who knows if they'll be able to stay.

Basically I thought Oldies was a fixed genre instead of a moving one like Pop and waited too long to cultivate a collection of the genres I enjoy before it shifted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The beginning of the video was really frustrating.

When the problem is the execution rather than the plan, yelling about what the plan is supposed to be is not helping.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The good news is that everything after this bit may or may not be challenging but is nowhere near this type of endurance test. Unless you're going for 100%, some of those pickups are very execution specific.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That is a wonderful "...he's behind me isn't he" image you caught for the post.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Now that you've beaten Nightmare I'd like to point out that the plasma beam goes through enemies, which I believe includes his arms shielding the gravity generator.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well shoot, you're right. Sorry.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Quick and dirty:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

A Saxtet of clones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its implied that the X are why the Chozo made the metroids.
But I can totally see how the metroids are much bigger threats than the X would ever be, especially now the galfed found a way to mass produce and raise the drat things.
Rip that research i guess.

It's made explicit in Samus Returns, some pictures unlocked afterward about the colonization of SR388

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

Samus will have a tally of two planets (plus how many she blew up in the Prime games, I really should play those) by the end of this game and she's wearing a power suit.

Imagine what a Chozo warship could do.

Lessee...
Prime: kills(ish) a meteor, planet remains.
Prime 2: Planet survives
Prime 3: multiple planets, I think only one blows up.