Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Latest Episode

About the Game

Metroid Fusion is the 2002 successor to the Metroid Series. Released on the Game Boy advance in concurrence with Metroid Prime on the Gamecube, the game brings us back to the world of Samus Aran for another run with the traditional 2D style of Metroid Game. It gained high praise from critics at the time, receiving several awards, including Handheld Game of the Year at the 2002 Interactive Achievement Awards, Best Game Boy Advance Adventure Game from IGN, and Best Action Game on Game Boy Advance from GameSpot.

About the LP

I, however, have never played it.

As recently as two years ago, I had never played a single Metroidvania game, but my good friend, Co-commentator and guide, Yorkshire Tea has plenty of experience with nearly all of them.

Starting with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Tea has guided me through the wonderful world of Metroidvanias and earlier this year I had great fun playing Super Metroid for the first time.

Through those games Tea has spoken about Metroid Fusion in a way that is reserved for his favourite games, expressing that frustrations that I might have had would be resolved, were I to just play it.

Knowing that high praise from Tea is hard to come by, I have decided to take the dive and will be playing through completely blind. Hopefully, my experiences in the past should help me out, but I imagine it is going to be a bumpy ride.

Episodes will release on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at around 23:00 BST, 18:00 EST, with cheeky early episodes up on our Patreon.

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

The LP Beach Cross Post Thread - In case you don't feel comfortable posting on the SA forums or need to view this outside of a paywall.

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

This game is a fantastic game, but as a Metroid game...uhh?

Look I have no idea, Tea suggested this and then when I suggested something else he loaded a shotgun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SirSamVimes posted:

this tour through the metroidvania genre had better be building up to a Hollow Knight playthrough :colbert:

There is currently a lot of debate about this. Mainly in Tea's head.

On one hand he thinks it would easily be the best capstone to our tour of Metroidvanias, but after hearing me talk about games (and from knowing me for more than 20 year) he's absolutely convinced I won't like it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

We've played Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid so far.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 7, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 12, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think I've seen above 10 comments/posts asking about the L trigger.

I have it bound, I know what it does. But it was on the R trigger in Super Metroid. So I don't automatically think about using it. Even back when I played Super Metroid I was always just much happier jumping and shooting rather than aiming diagonally.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So the UK is going into Lockdown as of Saturday of this week.

Tea and I record in person in my room, which means that as of Saturday we won't be able to record any more. (Until we either buy Tea a remote setup or the lockdown ends. The former is limited both by money and my ability to set up his sound correctly and the latter timeframe is completely unknown)

We'll be trying to finish the entire game tomorrow as a result. I understand that this defies the purpose of LP to an extent, part of the fun is taking on board the advice you guys give and being able to talk about interesting comments we've seen during our videos, so I can only apologise for that in advance.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

5 minutes in did you say "peak" is slang for bad because it's short for "peak time" and that's when you have lots of bears? I either didn't hear that right or England is a weird place where you can set your watch by the wildlife migration.

And that's when you have high fares (on the trains and buses etc.)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

BlazeEmblem posted:

For the record, if you just sit and wait, without using the power bomb, the SA-X will leave. Once it's encounter theme goes away, it is safe to power bomb and leave.

Oh I know.

Now I know.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Some Goon posted:

So is "friggin' frig" a British phrase or just a Nat20ism?

It is me trying very hard not to swear like crazy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi posted:

Have to say, I was surprised to hear Tea chip in. Thought this was a Nat only thing at first, what with real life getting in the way of you two streaming together. And I seriously thought the fast forward thing was you skipping ahead for convenience's sake, and "death by fast forward," was just some weird kind of excuse to get out admitting you died the first time until reading the comments here and remembered there is an actual fast forward option on emulators as a whole. Makes me wonder if you're using a controller too, or just using the keyboard. The last time I tried playing Super Mario World on an emulator with just the keyboard, it was a thoroughly miserable experience and I wonder how anyone can play platformers keyboard only without going batshit.

I'm using a controller. Fast Forward is bound to RT and is often useful when playing very grindy snes games.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I blame my Nettori performance on the space jump. By the time I got there I was basically completely tilted by it.

It genuinely feels no easier here to me than it did with Super and there are more two sprite wide vertical shafts they want you to go up with it.

SugarAddict posted:

How would he do on demon's souls?

I never played demon's souls but my experience of the first dark souls was running into the basement of a tower over and over again to fight a dude with a mace that oneshot you until I got bored and quit the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Rosalie_A posted:

The Space Jump is the way it is because it's meant to be an exploration power up, not a combat power up. It gives you the ability to fly infinitely, but it's awkward enough that when it comes to fighting enemies, you still need to rely on basic platforming ability instead of flying over stuff like it's a Kirby game. This isn't accidental at all: by the time Fusion came out, this was the third game with the Space Jump, and if they wanted to change it, they would have.

Additionally, Metroid is already very overloaded with its control scheme: a context sensitive shot button, movement and aiming being on the same controls, two types of jump optimized for both horizontal platforming and vertical traversal. It's actually much more straightforward in terms of usability to add in a powerup that says "jump infinitely" than one that says "we're going to change how a major button works after you've spent most of the game getting used to it".

It's absolutely fine to not like using it, but the Space Jump is serving some very specific roles in the way it works, and I'm not sure other options would have played as well in the larger context.

I think I'm going to refer back to Symphony of the Night here which I think has a superior method of progression in terms of movement tools for exploration.

You get a jump, followed by a double jump which is context-less, in that you can jump freely after the first jump instead of requiring you to be falling. And then you eventually get to turn into a bat and fly around freely, but taking a hit will drop bat form.

I don't know how you'd translate that to Metroid, but the bat achieves functionally the same purpose as the space jump but absent the execution requirement.

That being said I will happily admit that I am in a tiny minority when it comes to difficulty with the space jump. It's just such a problem for me that it actively brings down the rest of the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yI53jS7WHI

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's unlisted at the moment. something something patreon early access.

A bug can happen if I link to an unlisted video from a public video on an end screen. In that YouTube will let people access the unlisted video from the end screen. It might result in YouTube recommending the video in feeds as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

Now that you've beaten Nightmare I'd like to point out that the plasma beam goes through enemies, which I believe includes his arms shielding the gravity generator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMtMJVZ2PcM&t=1119s

If you look at this point, the arms seem to block a charged plasma beam here!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Some Goon posted:

I can't get over your solution to "the boss shut off missiles" being tanking the hits and using them as a melee weapon. I didn't even know you could do that. But I can't deny it worked.

I'm putting out a fanart request of Samus beating Nightmare to death with a super missile.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

Quick and dirty:

It looks like Samus is helping Nightmare taxi for a landing!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
A charged plasma beam hits harder than the missiles, but the missiles are worth more DPS. The rate you can chuck them out means that by the time I've charged a plasma beam I've fired five or six missiles. If I'd used the plasma beam on Nightmare phase 2 I would never have beaten him.

And yeah in the rest of the game I got specifically told to stop charging so I did! It took a lot to shut off my Mega Man instincts!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I honestly can't believe how well done that reveal was. I'm not going to say it turned the entire game for me because by the time I got to the security robot I was having a lot of fun again but it did a lot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Wa11y posted:

You have an X infestation, so you release Metroids to kill them. Now you have a Metroid infestation, so you release Samus to kill them. Now you have a Samus infestation, so you release Phazon. Now you have a Dark Samus infestati... everything is fine, there is no problem with Dark Samus.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://s1.webmshare.com/mKvJX.webm

Dunno if this is actually viewable, if not could someone suggest a decent place to host a webm?

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 7, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Watching that first vid I realized something.

That bit where you're on top of the high wall and an aggro'd SA-X keeps jumping and can't reach you?

The SA-X does not. ever. use the Space Jump until the actual final boss battle. Only single Screw Attack powered spin jumps.

But it was made clear that the SA-X is you at full power, and there's nothing indicating it didn't have Space Jump powers before that fight.

It's almost like the SA-X is bad at using the Space Jump and prefers not using it until given no choice, by which time it's had plenty of time to practice it.

Just like a certain other Samus we know.

I love this take so much.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

And with that we're done!

The next LP was meant to be Ogre Battle SNES but we've realised that doing that online will be a massive pain owing to the need to fast forward in the game. (Also Tea still hasn't managed to get himself a mic which is also a bit of an issue)

We've got a few options in front of us (I'm currently advocating for Jiggies of Time) but honestly we would genuinely appreciate suggestions from you guys on what to do.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman posted:

I tried to up the Patreon contribution some for this, but couldn't seem to find a way to do it.

For a filler until Tea can be involved, a classic Megaman run might be fun.

This is largely due to incompetence at this point so please don't worry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Accidentally updated the wrong thread! Oops!