Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hey, a Metroid Fusion thread, neat.

Fusion was the first Metroid I played (probably first Metroidvania? Either this or Aria) so the linearity didn't really matter to me, but I agree that it should have more opportunities for sequence breaking.
(There's a moment where you can sequence break and mission control goes, paraphrased, "we're honestly impressed but please go back and do it the linear way because you skipped a pair of plot scenes")

Checking the Super Metroid LP, mechanically they fixed a lot of the finicky BS and generally improved Samus' handling, so a Super remake with Fuson/Zero's mechanics would be :discourse:
(also I never played Super so grain of salt for this last comment, but I never had problems in how Samus controls in this game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Alien Arcana posted:

It's the sort of thing that only works if you've spent multiple games establishing your protagonist to be incredibly dangerous.

Even if we ignore the Prime series, at this point Samus has --- entirely by herself -- killed Ridley and Mother Brain twice each, hunted the Metroids to extinction, and blown up a planet.

I should probably replay Samus Returns, did we skip Ridley in that one? To be fair, it was the second game, they probably hadn't settled on R as this recurring nemesis that won't stay dead, stop cloning him you fucker space pirates.

How many Ridley kills does Samus have by now? Including Prime games and (ugh) Other M.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Screw it, I want a gag where Samus shows off her trophies Predator-style and a single wall is just Ridley skulls. With a "missions since the space pirates last cloned Ridley" counter.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I've been replaying this one again and I think its:

_bombs and power bombs (spoiler: power bombs will be back) reveal every block type in their blast radius.
_the beam goes through fake walls so if you pay attention to how the impact with a wall should look like you can notice those that way.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

W.T. Fits posted:

"I want to be your friend!"

This isn't Steven Universe, you can't defeat your enemies by making friends with them.

Samus did defeat the super metroid* in Super Metroid by being friends its mom :colbert:.

*I don't know if it's an official designation but come on

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

pointlessone posted:

Does that make Samus the Imposter? She's doing an awful lot of killing and loves vents for getting around...

She can one-shot anything and anyone 1 on 1 and the only way she can die is by getting mobbed, like after a lynching vote. Hell yeah she's the impostor.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

"Of course there's a self-destruct sequence" - Everyone playing their second Metroid game

I'm starting to think a self-destruct mechanism is mandated by space-OSHA.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Samus can hold a shinespark for half an eternity (2 to 3 seconds I think).

IIRC in that room you have to store the 'spark, wall jump to the high floor and then fly upwards to the alcove with the energy tank in it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

To be fair, imputing a wall jump now does nothing and it makes no sense since Samus could space jump instead.
To be even more fair, stop trying to wall jump when you have an infinite double jump. It isn't finicky in the gba games.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Simply Simon posted:

I too do not like the Space Jump in any Metroid. An "ultimate" powerup should not require that much execution, imo. Yes, the timing is consistent and learnable, I'm just bad at being consistent with timing. So I fully get Nat's frustration.

What timing? In the GBA games, space jump will trigger anytime you press the jump button during the downward phase of a spin jump, as long as you're not trying to wall jump because hell if I know why*. That's not a timing window, that's a timing glass panel the size of an airport runway.
*This one I agree is finicky because it makes no sense but you can just not wall jump (it does take me a couple minutes to adjust every time to be fair).

Some powerups may have really tight timing requirements (that room in Zero Mission) but simply going upwards at a steady clip is easy if you wait the peak of the jump before pressing the button again.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Quackles posted:

Is this Loss?

It can't be.
It's funny.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Natural 20 posted:

A charged plasma beam hits harder than the missiles, but the missiles are worth more DPS. The rate you can chuck them out means that by the time I've charged a plasma beam I've fired five or six missiles. If I'd used the plasma beam on Nightmare phase 2 I would never have beaten him.

And yeah in the rest of the game I got specifically told to stop charging so I did! It took a lot to shut off my Mega Man instincts!

Which is why you charge a plasma shot during offtimes and switch to missile spam after that shot.

If you switch to missiles when a charge shot is ready, the shot gets fired and then you can spam attack for the barrage of beautiful, beautiful* explosive death.

*beauty may be in the eye of the beholder.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Well duh. They all beheld Samus's missiles warhead first.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SugarAddict posted:

Also why haven't they simply unleashed the metroids on the rest of the station as soon as they realized what was going on?
They pointed Metroid Samus at the problem, didn't they?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

No it works. The self destruct sequence resets her to "chill on a beach in a bikini" mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I always thought that the Chozo, as the wise and peaceful bird people we know, were sort of the end-state of their society. In their ancient times they too made war on each other and conquered their way across the stars until eventually, they...stopped. Perhaps as a society they developed beyond the need for large-scale conflict, or perhaps they came to a sort of spiritual enlightenment. Perhaps, like us, their tools of war became so powerful that to use them would jeopardize the galaxy (for us, Earth) itself.

Samus will have a tally of two planets (plus how many she blew up in the Prime games, I really should play those) by the end of this game and she's wearing a power suit.

Imagine what a Chozo warship could do.